Custom Keyboard Layouts for F(x)tec Pro1

On 2/24/2020 at 10:07 AM, Slion said:

Actually I got confused cause you offset the keys somehow.

The layout I gave is based on the PRO¹'s QWERTZ keyboard layout and not the PRO¹'s QWERTY keyboard layout. Maybe that's the source of your confusion

On 2/24/2020 at 9:57 AM, Slion said:

@brunoais I like that keyboard layout designer tool. Though it looks like you basically have to edit the raw data to get anything done right?

You can edit the keyboard layout in the online tool. I just gave the json file because the URLs it generates get mangled by this BB making them useless.

Just go to http://www.keyboard-layout-editor.com/ and import the json file. You can edit it there.

On 2/24/2020 at 9:57 AM, Slion said:

Your design example has more keys than the Pro1.

Did I show you the wrong one? I have one design with one extra key in the row of Enter and Shift but all the other ones use the exact keys as the QWERTZ keyboard.

This is my POST with the proposals:

• Like 1
  • Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I just published what's basically a modified variant of FinQwerty called Fx Qwerty with focus on Pro1 usability.

Fx Qwerty v0.1.1 layout. EDIT: This is now outdated, check out Fx Qwerty home page for up to date versions.

Instead of capital ß it should give the question mark. Or how am is supposed to type question mark insteadẞ

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Slion said:

That should work.

In theory it could. However it is cluttered by that Bookmarks feature. So in practise it's not usable without getting rid of said Bookmarks feature. What's most annoying with meta on android is that hitting it alone or with a key that's not a valid Bookmark shortcut triggers Google Assist. On top of that, removing the Bookmarks feature from Android is possibly breaking users trying to use it with an external keyboard that's implementing it.

Therefore IMHO Meta and Bookmarks are better be left alone. It looks like a derelict poorly implemented feature.

Thanks for explaining. Yikes to the Assist part, It is the app just called "Google" that is the first thing I disable and removes permissions for when installing a new Android instance. It have a truck load of permissions granted to it self.

But as many keep this mess installed you are right, Meta-key could be problematic in general.

Google_App_Security.png

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Slion said:

Hitting meta alone does launch Google Assist on stock anyway, unless maybe if you did not configure it?

I dunno about configuring it, certainly didn't do anything on purpose.  But I'm on lineage so default settings from stock may be different. 

However hitting Meta with a key that's not used by Bookmarks does not launch Google Assist making Meta in those cases a usable modifier in KCM or Key Mapper shortcut.

Are you sure about meta working as a modifier in kcm (for keys not assigned bookmark?)  I seem to recall having the same thought then being told by mccreary nope, can't do it.  But I could be mixing things up.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
16 hours ago, Craig said:

Are you sure about meta working as a modifier in kcm

I have not tried it but the docs say so and, from what I have seen, meta does work as any other modifiers except when Bookmarks are getting in the way. 
Still, for the reasons mentioned above, I would stay away from it as much as possible.

Edited by Slion
On 2/26/2020 at 12:42 AM, Craig said:

I just tried, I don't get google assistant with meta alone or with a non bookmark 😞  

I discovered I had no assistant app set, presumably a lineage default.  In the choices, one was google assistant, but another was firefox.  So now my F key (assigned as meta) opens a new firefox tab (whether firefox is open already or not).  Kinda neat.

• Like 2

@Slion

I made a "FX QWERTZ FIN" layout for my own use but it can be useful for other Nordic users also. Is it possible that you could add it to your app? I tried to keep characters where they are printed but I swapped couple keys.

1416531738_FXQWERTZFIN1.0.png.1090240f65973f215995943f9511ef6a.png

I didn't want to add alt shortcuts to arrows keys since I want to use them during writing:

• Alt + Trackball-Left: Move cursor to beginning of line
  • Alt + Trackball-Right: Move cursor to end of line
  • Alt + Trackball-Up: Move cursor to top of page
  • Alt + Trackball-Down: Move cursor to bottom of page

SYM button should be search key so that I can use native Android shortcuts and customize them by myself from Android settings.

Android Keyboard Shortcuts: Apps

• Search + B: Open browser
  • Search + 😄 Open contacts
  • Search + E: Open e-mail
  • Search + G: Open Gmail
  • Search + I: Open calendar
  • Search + M: Open maps
  • Search + P: Open music
  • Search + S: Open text messaging
  • Search + Y: Open YouTube

You can also customize the keyboard shortcuts for applications: Just go into "Applications" off the main system settings menu, then select "Quick Launch." From there, you can change any of the above app-controlling hotkeys and add in your own.

FX QWERTZ FIN 1.0.json

Edited by FlyingAntero
43 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

You can also customize the keyboard shortcuts for applications: Just go into "Applications" off the main system settings menu, then select "Quick Launch." From there, you can change any of the above app-controlling hotkeys and add in your own.

Can't find those settings options.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Is it possible that you could add it to your app?

If it's not too specific then yes. However the app as it is is just for qwerty keyboards as I can't test qwertz.

2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

@Slion

I made a "FX QWERTZ FIN" layout for my own use but it can be useful for other Nordic users also. Is it possible that you could add it to your app? I tried to keep characters where they are printed but I swapped couple keys.

1416531738_FXQWERTZFIN1.0.png.1090240f65973f215995943f9511ef6a.png

I didn't want to add alt shortcuts to arrows keys since I want to use them during writing:

• Alt + Trackball-Left: Move cursor to beginning of line
  • Alt + Trackball-Right: Move cursor to end of line
  • Alt + Trackball-Up: Move cursor to top of page
  • Alt + Trackball-Down: Move cursor to bottom of page

SYM button should be search key so that I can use native Android shortcuts and customize them by myself from Android settings.

Hide contents

Android Keyboard Shortcuts: Apps

• Search + B: Open browser
  • Search + 😄 Open contacts
  • Search + E: Open e-mail
  • Search + G: Open Gmail
  • Search + I: Open calendar
  • Search + M: Open maps
  • Search + P: Open music
  • Search + S: Open text messaging
  • Search + Y: Open YouTube

FX QWERTZ FIN 1.0.json 4.56 kB · 1 download

How can you add new shortcuts?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

If it's not too specific then yes. However the app as it is is just for qwerty keyboards as I can't test qwertz.

They are electrically identical, the only difference is the print, so your app will work identical on both.

So you can test if you would like to (though the print will obviously not match when tested on a qwertY device)

You can see the two stock prints described at the top here

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
23 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

They are electrically identical, the only difference is the print, so your app will work identical on both.

Does that mean scan codes remain the same?

Could you share a picture of the QWERTZ keyboard?

2 hours ago, Slion said:

Can't find those settings options.

45 minutes ago, Laska said:

How can you add new shortcuts?

It looks like that the feature is not available on Pro1. But I can use Keyboard/Button Mapper to make those shortcuts if I want.

1 minute ago, Slion said:

Here are the pics that Chen showed on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/chenliangchen/status/1141016306801676290

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Slion said:

Yes they are identical, that is why @Anssi Hannula starts his qwertZ-files (e.g.this) by mapping.

For image, see e.g. here

...That they are identical is actually an issue when setting up a new device (WiFi and account credentials), so we need to use the fake keyboard, as the real keyboard acts as the shifted until you get a chance to tell the system that it is the qwertZ.

See also this

• Thanks 1
On 3/4/2020 at 7:52 PM, Laska said:

I'm afraid I don't understood...

It's basically the ID of the key. It is the hardware value related to the key.

I don't know what apps exist to get that as you press the keys but you may search for one

• Thanks 1
13 hours ago, brunoais said:

It's basically the ID of the key. It is the hardware value related to the key.

I don't know what apps exist to get that as you press the keys but you may search for one

Yes, I know the scan code, it is 119 but in the .kl file this number is related to BREAK, not FUNCTION.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
13 hours ago, Slion said:

If someone is interested to work on and test an Fx Qwertz version just let me know.

I would like to be a tester 🙂. If you are able to create QWERTZ version it would be very nice to see Scandic also. Basically it could be almost identical to QWERTZ with these fixes:

• Ü -> Å (replace)
  • Y <-> Z (swap)
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

I would like to be a tester 🙂. If you are able to create QWERTZ version it would be very nice to see Scandic also. Basically it could be almost identical to QWERTZ with these fixes:

• Ü -> Å (replace)
  • Y <-> Z (swap)

Yup that will work for Sweden&Finland. For Norway and Denmark we use different symbols for Ö and Ä (yes utterly silly!!!!), and for some strange reason some crazed Dane had the idea of swapping these two keys-also....

• Haha 1