Jump to content
Waxberry

QWERTZ User Layout Setup

Recommended Posts

For all the QWERTZ users, please set-up the physical keyboard layout after the initial setup. (Only needs to do this once)

ADD (EskeRahn): During the initial set-up use the touch keyboard to enter Wifi and account credentials,  until the wizard suggests you to configure the physical keyboard at the end.

If you skipped the set-up by the wizard then please go to hardware keyboard setting. This can go from drop down menu when after boot, or Setting - System - Languages and Input - Physical keyboard

For QWERTZ user, please click "Setup Keyboard Layouts" and select German

For QWERTY user, please remain unselected (default), please do not select US or UK English, please uncheck all. (In fact you don't need to do anything it's "default" by default)

de1.png

de2.png

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Swond said:

Even for other languages, which uses QWERTZ layout? We should set German?

Yes, the current QWERTZ layout is different from a standard one (it was made by the community) So we currently put this layout under German. In the future we could expand it into other German-speaking nation settings

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Waxberry said:

In the future we could expand it into other German-speaking nation settings

It would be good to have an option to define custom layouts as well.

I have not even tried to locate appropriate files under Android but I hope the system can be easily modified to achieve this (however, I strongly think root access will be required), so I mean a somewhat similar way what worked under my N900.

For me, I would be happy if I could easily use national (Hungarian) characters with the help of Pro1's modifier keys.
(I mean characters like áéíóöőúüű / ÁÉÍÓÖŐÚÜŰ)

On my N900, I could write very fast using my redefined layout and the modifier key.

Pro1 should be much better in this relation as it has a really full-featured keyboard.
So the best would be if a custom keyboard editor would be existed but is still very good if anyone could make an own layout which don't destroy anything else. 🙂

I just would like to mention I am not belong to any German-speaking nation, but QWERTZ layout was much closer for me to the optimal one.
Personally, I would have been chose the non-shifted US layout if it was existed anyway as the two layouts I would like to use some way are English (for terminal or maybe programming) and Hungarian (for casual communication). So that way at least one layout would be closer to one what I use - so German is not the best for me but at least most of the keys are in place.

However, my N900 had English layout while all of my special (Hungarian) characters were reachable at convenient places using the blue arrow.

PS: Hungarian layout also use QWERTZ arrangement, however, I really hate that idea and I also use QWERTY on my keyboard regardless of what is written on that key. 🙂

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here, that was the reason, why I asked. Czech layout also uses qwertz, but national characters differs from German of corse.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Typically, you can set up and change your keys individually by a file named keychar or similar in Android. For the Droid 4 I had to edit two files for changes to be made (i.e. change y/z), but it was very easy to do.

First thing I will do with this device is to unable Caps lock (or change it to ALT+Caps). But you have lots of options.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By the way, you can also assign keys like this:

Ö = ö

SHIFT+Ö = Ö

ALT+Ö = ő

SHIFT+ALT+Ö = Ő

Other keys should be accessable like usual (´+ o = ó)

I'm sure you'll find a solution that fits you.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Typically, you can set up and change your keys individually by a file named keychar or similar in Android. For the Droid 4 I had to edit two files for changes to be made (i.e. change y/z), but it was very easy to do.

First thing I will do with this device is to unable Caps lock (or change it to ALT+Caps). But you have lots of options.

If possible I would love to use caps lock for selection between Danish and English, and have the led indicate one of them. But I guess that is beyond the normal mapping files described here

https://source.android.com/devices/input/key-layout-files

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent

https://source.android.com/devices/input/key-character-map-files

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how to accomplish that, but you should be able to start a small script with it (Pro 1 is specifically designed for shortcuts) and that should be able to change the layout setting.
Very interesting idea.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Open source FinQwerty extends the layout to something I would have expected the Pro1 had out of the box. Including an improved German for qwertZ, but also other layouts. So I will highly recommend that people consider it over the default "German" as this is currently implemented.

Especially shift doubling for Fn on the yellow-printed keys, except the letter keys. e.g. Shift+1 gives "!" and not just "1".

  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The Open source FinQwerty extends the layout to something I would have expected the Pro1 had out of the box. Including an improved German for qwertZ, but also other layouts. So I will highly recommend that people consider it over the default "German" as this is currently implemented.

FYI, I have imported the Pro1 FinQwerty v1.5.1 key character maps (kcm files) into my LineageOS builds. If there are other kcm files that people have worked out for the Pro1, I'd be happy to add them as well. The current FinQwerty maps add support for Czech, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish, as well as the alternate German mapping.

For reference, you can find the patches required to add additional kcm files to a device build here:

https://github.com/mccreary/android_device_fxtec_pro1/commits/lineage-16.0/AsantiKeypad

The last of the three is not necessary for the stock Pro1 kernel, which maps ESC to back in the keyboard driver.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Sean McCreary said:

FYI, I have imported the Pro1 FinQwerty v1.5.1 key character maps (kcm files) into my LineageOS builds. If there are other kcm files that people have worked out for the Pro1, I'd be happy to add them as well. The current FinQwerty maps add support for Czech, Danish, Finnish, Norwegian, and Swedish, as well as the alternate German mapping.

For reference, you can find the patches required to add additional kcm files to a device build here:

https://github.com/mccreary/android_device_fxtec_pro1/commits/lineage-16.0/AsantiKeypad

The last of the three is not necessary for the stock Pro1 kernel, which maps ESC to back in the keyboard driver.

Awesome. Remember that it also offers US-International, as well as standard US

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/24/2019 at 4:38 PM, divstar said:

What if I want to type in e.g. Russian on a QWERTZ keyboard?

There are two Russian keyboard layouts included with stock Android. They aren't optimized for the Pro1, but you could check if they are usable. You can find them in the settings app under system->languages->physical keyboard->Fxtec Pro1->set up keyboard layouts

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Vid said:

There are two Russian keyboard layouts included with stock Android. They aren't optimized for the Pro1, but you could check if they are usable. You can find them in the settings app under system->languages->physical keyboard->Fxtec Pro1->set up keyboard layouts

They technically both work, but you are sort of 'on your own', as everything except the numbers are 'wrong'. So If you got a good memory, or a steady hand so you can scrape of the black for each symbol you are fine... And only plain and with Shift&Ctrl works. Nothing with Alt or Fn, as far as I can see.

It seems like the standard on a QWERTY, based on the US shifted QWERTY

(The differences between the two layouts are very small btw)

Wireless-Bluetooth-keyboard-For-Russian-Keyboard-Layout-Hebrew-Korean-Arabic-Thai-French-English-For-Android-IOS.jpg_640x640q70[1].jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

They technically both work, but you are sort of 'on your own', as everything except the numbers are 'wrong'. So If you got a good memory, or a steady hand so you can scrape of the black for each symbol you are fine... And only plain and with Shift&Ctrl works. Nothing with Alt or Fn, as far as I can see.

It seems like the standard on a QWERTY, based on the US shifted QWERTY

(The differences between the two layouts are very small btw)

 

If you are interested in improving the layouts, the source files are here:

https://github.com/aosp-mirror/platform_frameworks_base/tree/master/packages/InputDevices/res/raw

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Which physical keyboard is more suitable for Czech / Slovak, qwertz or qwerty ?
Edited by Bmbx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bmbx said:
Which physical keyboard is more suitable for Czech / Slovak, qwertz or qwerty ?

I guess since noone of czech or slovak customers have the phone yet, noone can tell you exactly. On the other hand, I am curious about that too! (Ahoj! )  I think we will have to combine FinQwerty and the key mapper what has its own toppic here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

They technically both work, but you are sort of 'on your own', as everything except the numbers are 'wrong'. So If you got a good memory, or a steady hand so you can scrape of the black for each symbol you are fine... And only plain and with Shift&Ctrl works. Nothing with Alt or Fn, as far as I can see.

It seems like the standard on a QWERTY, based on the US shifted QWERTY

(The differences between the two layouts are very small btw)

Wireless-Bluetooth-keyboard-For-Russian-Keyboard-Layout-Hebrew-Korean-Arabic-Thai-French-English-For-Android-IOS.jpg_640x640q70[1].jpg

If this is the layout I get, it is more or less the right one.

Edit: just tried it. The layout is not entirely random, but many cyrillic letters are somewhere different from where they should be. Still nice that it works at all.

Edited by divstar
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Swond said:

I guess since noone of czech or slovak customers have the phone yet, noone can tell you exactly. On the other hand, I am curious about that too! (Ahoj! )  I think we will have to combine FinQwerty and the key mapper what has its own toppic here. 

FinQWERTY already got a layout for Czech based on qwertY. And I guess it would not be hard to persuade him to make it for qwertZ too. You could try using his Donate button 😇

If one or the other is the best generally divides people. I personally prefer the qwertZ print even for US-qwertY usage, as it is closer to standard layouts with national letters right of the A-Z block, despite the swapped Y/Z.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

FinQWERTY already got a layout for Czech based on qwertY. And I guess it would not be hard to persuade him to make it for qwertZ too. You could try using his Donate button 😇

If one or the other is the best generally divides people. I personally prefer the qwertZ print even for US-qwertY usage, as it is closer to standard layouts with national letters right of the A-Z block, despite the swapped Y/Z.

 

I ordered QWERTZ and now I'm worried that I will have a confusion in the layout of the symbols after setting up the keyboard

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Bmbx said:

 

I ordered QWERTZ and now I'm worried that I will have a confusion in the layout of the symbols after setting up the keyboard

Let us see if we can not persuade Anssi to make the one he made for Czech for the physical qwertY in a variant for the qwertZ too,

....You might help persuading him by 'giving  a beer' with the donate button. 😇

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Bmbx said:

 

I ordered QWERTZ and now I'm worried that I will have a confusion in the layout of the symbols after setting up the keyboard

No fear.
So far community members have perfectly helped each other in configuring and afaik everyone solved eventual starting issues.
I had perfectly mapped QWERTZ on Android thanks to community members explaining FinQwerty use to me.
Now that i run Sailfish i try to give back and have propsed a mapping for SFOS QWERTZ.

Just ask here or in the unofficial Discord for more chattier help!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms