Will Android 11, 10 be supported?

9 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

When know "if", but not "when".

I think it is @netman that already did a port by himself, and it only had minor issues, so I expect it wont be long after the rush with the pre-orders . but just guessing.

I did not do a port, I installed a GSI which you can easily download. Because of googles Project Treble thing and the pro1 stock rom being fairly compatible with it, as long as you have their vendor and boot image, other versions of android mostly work by just flashing the system image.

At the time I installed it I wasn't aware there are instructions for it but it was reasonable straightforward and went without a hiccup 🙂, if you want to try it I recommend following this guide though https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/F(x)tec-Pro1

• Thanks 7

I don't recall anyone mentioning when or whether stock will be upgraded to Q.  Has anyone official chimed in on this?

Lineage is getting close to releasing Q (which will be 17.1).  By the time that happens, I should have Lineage running well and updating should hopefully be pretty easy.

• Thanks 8

F(x)tec confirmed during IFA that Pro1 will be updated to Android 10. I think that it was also mentioned on Twitter also.

"FX Tec has done very little with the software here, instead sticking to a very clean version of Android 9 Pie (with Android 10 coming later)."

Translated: "F(x)tec is still covered when it comes to upgrading to Android 10. They are in contact with Qualcomm."

This was initial promise but they confirmed that they are working on Android 10 update.

On 7/11/2019 at 5:14 PM, Waxberry said:

We are committed to bring Android security update under 90 days, as Android One devices.

For future update, such as Android Q: We are committed to bring the update whatever we can. However, the actual update will also depend on Qualcomm / Google's support on the chipset. We hope we can get the support we needed to be able to work on for the next update. We will do our best to get it.

(P.S: There is also Plan B for getting future update)

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Thanks 4
On 1/24/2020 at 2:57 PM, netman said:

I did not do a port, I installed a GSI which you can easily download. Because of googles Project Treble thing and the pro1 stock rom being fairly compatible with it, as long as you have their vendor and boot image, other versions of android mostly work by just flashing the system image.

At the time I installed it I wasn't aware there are instructions for it but it was reasonable straightforward and went without a hiccup 🙂, if you want to try it I recommend following this guide though https://github.com/phhusson/treble_experimentations/wiki/F(x)tec-Pro1

For anyone interested in trying an Android 10 GSI, I highly recommend using my patched boot.img and vendor.img from this thread. The latest versions of both are regularly updated at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ey6g1N1ORYZ34oRXLYsF4zCCL6_KGRCi

These patched images include several important fixes for improved Treble compatibility, including a refined key character map, better keyboard slide behavior, and a working keyboard backlight. The latest boot.img also includes the new keyboard driver from @netman and a fix for the swapped stereo channels on the built-in speakers. Please read the 'changelog.md' file for full information about the patched images.

• Thanks 5
17 minutes ago, Sean McCreary said:

For anyone interested in trying an Android 10 GSI, I highly recommend using my patched boot.img and vendor.img from this thread. The latest versions of both are regularly updated at https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1ey6g1N1ORYZ34oRXLYsF4zCCL6_KGRCi

These patched images include several important fixes for improved Treble compatibility, including a refined key character map, better keyboard slide behavior, and a working keyboard backlight. The latest boot.img also includes the new keyboard driver from @netman and a fix for the swapped stereo channels on the built-in speakers. Please read the 'changelog.md' file for full information about the patched images.

That sounds awesome. Are you guys working with FxTec to integrate those changes in the official release? I'm afraid I won't be trying out your images until I get myself a second Pro1 and that will only happen if they ever release an azerty layout, it could be a while. I'm planning to use Pro1 for production tasks so it needs to remain in proper working order.

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/28/2020 at 4:26 PM, Slion said:

Please FxTec get this done for me sooner than later as I keep trying to swipe from the edge to go back instead of fishing for the back button in the bottom left corner 😁

I don't understand. What fish? Why don't you just touch the back button?

Screenshot_20200220-093143.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/29/2020 at 12:26 AM, Slion said:

Please FxTec get this done for me sooner than later as I keep trying to swipe from the edge to go back instead of fishing for the back button in the bottom left corner 😁

Have you tried Full Screen Gestures? It worked very well on my previous phone but I haven't tested it with curved screen like on Pro1.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, sequestris said:

But he mentioned fishing for the back button and I don't get it because the back button is always there.

Translation, read it as "fumble to get to", as obviously a swipe is easier. I'm not a big fan of the gesture thing myself though. (I'm not likely to become a hardcore sailfish afictionado)

I was not a big fan of gesture navigation either until I got myself that awesome Huawei P30 Pro last year. I'm now a gesture convert. 

You don't have a navigation bar anymore so more screen real estate. 
Swipe from the edge to go back has the advantage to be accessible from anywhere along either of the screen's edge enabling one handed operations of larger devices. 

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

Have you tried Full Screen Gestures? It worked very well on my previous phone but I haven't tested it with curved screen like on Pro1.

Works flawlessly so far. Thanks for the tip.

It also made me realise it should be able to properly lock the phone programmatically leading to this:

• Like 1
On 1/24/2020 at 4:57 PM, netman said:

I'm curious, how's your battery life with Android 10 GSI? (Asking because I'm quite impressed with the battery life on the Pro1 so far).

• Like 3
3 hours ago, jjarmasz said:

I'm curious, how's your battery life with Android 10 GSI? (Asking because I'm quite impressed with the battery life on the Pro1 so far).

Same here.  I've been *very* impressed with the battery life on the Pro1 with the stock rom.  

• Like 3
15 hours ago, jjarmasz said:

I did not use it long enough to really judge this, but it seemed fine, as in it didn't seem to go down faster than stock.

• Like 2