Jump to content
VaZso

Spontaneous reboots - discssion on possible causes

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Only some see those reboots, I have not seen it at all. And from another thread it seems like it might be related to carriers using certain network bands. and when the carrier passes the phone between those bands. One have reported that he gets it when he travels a certain route by train.

They did have an issue on an earlier version of the software where running particular programs made the phone reboot, but that was fixed early December, if I recall correctly.

I have experienced unexpected reboot only once while traveling on a motorway (it was requesting my PIN).

That was the first time of travel after I switched to Pro1 and I thought I may pushed power button somehow as a cause of reboot.
Since then I may had a software upgrade (unsure if it was before or after that travel) and switched to another case and it has never happened again yet...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Kikka said:

Thank you for your answers 😊

I think I am convinced enought now that I "need/want" a pro1!

But I am still a bit worried about the random reboots 😯

Haven't seen a single reboot in over 2 months of usage yet.

I think the phone is great, but you should be aware of a lot of rough edges software wise.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, VaZso said:

I have experienced unexpected reboot only once while traveling on a motorway (it was requesting my PIN).

Just for the record... as I have mentioned it yesterday, I ran into the same problem again today near the same place at motorway (I usually go there by every two weeks).

It has rebooted, asked my PINs but my fingerprints remained set which is not usual between reboots. Also uptime was 45 mins when I have noticed it, so it has really rebooted.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Just for the record... as I have mentioned it yesterday, I ran into the same problem again today near the same place at motorway (I usually go there by every two weeks).

It has rebooted, asked my PINs but my fingerprints remained set which is not usual between reboots. Also uptime was 45 mins when I have noticed it, so it has really rebooted.

Thanks, this strengthen the suspicion that it is related to when the carrier wants it to move from one cell tower to another. And as not happening more often, it could be specific band changes that the Pro1 fails at.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks, this strengthen the suspicion that it is related to when the carrier wants it to move from one cell tower to another. And as not happening more often, it could be specific band changes that the Pro1 fails at.

I got my 3rd reboot last weekend when I was travelling. So far I haven't faced any reboots where I live (home, work, gym etc). Any ideas how I could track it down next time I am travelling?

Edited by FlyingAntero

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks, this strengthen the suspicion that it is related to when the carrier wants it to move from one cell tower to another. And as not happening more often, it could be specific band changes that the Pro1 fails at.

Yes, it may be related... and it may depend on if it communicates at that transition or if it is idle.
Theoretically, it was idle for me but I have it connected and I have also enabled IMAP idle so it may have communicated or also not communicated depending on software state.

Also, I have two SIMs inserted if that matters... on one of them, I have LTE and mobile internet enabled. On the other, mobile internet is disabled.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

 

Also, I have two SIMs inserted if that matters... on one of them, I have LTE and mobile internet enabled. On the other, mobile internet is disabled.

Interesting detail. If it happens 'every' time you travel that way, do you go home the same way? And if so does it happen in both directions?

Could also be interesting if you could take out one of the SIMs next time to narrow down if it is one or the other SIM or perhaps the combination?

Just a wild guess, if there is a hole in the coverage of the SIM1-network, the phone just MIGHT get confused that SIM2 temporarily is the primary???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FlyingAntero said:

I got my 3rd reboot last weekend when I was travelling. So far I haven't faced any reboots where I live (home, work, gym etc). Any ideas how I could track it down next time I am travelling?

Interesting! Do you get it in both directions?

Can you narrow down the where by the time since boot (Settings, Battery the stamps for Last Full Charge is incorrectly reset on boot) ? That might make it easier to do experiments. With a little luck the problematic place is not far away...

Do you like @VaZso have two sims active? If not we can rule out that as related...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Interesting detail. If it happens 'every' time you travel that way, do you go home the same way? And if so does it happen in both directions?

This is the second time it happened for me. Both times it was on the same direction of the same motorway - but as I am traveling in every two weeks, it is definitively not always happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, VaZso said:

This is the second time it happened for me. Both times it was on the same direction of the same motorway - but as I am traveling in every two weeks, it is definitively not always happen.

Hmm, that makes it hard to reproduce. If/when it happens next time, try to check the time since last boot, to narrow down the location if we are really lucky it is close by where you live, so it would be easier to test if it could be provoked. I mean if it is 100km away, it is hard to test, but if it is say 1km easier...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Hmm, that makes it hard to reproduce. If/when it happens next time, try to check the time since last boot, to narrow down the location if we are really lucky it is close by where you live, so it would be easier to test if it could be provoked. I mean if it is 100km away, it is hard to test, but if it is say 1km easier...

Now I don't know, maybe it is about 60-80 km distance from me but motorway is not toll-free and I am traveling using company's car.

Maybe a GPS logger application would help to find out the exact place of reboot anyway (or at least something close to it depending what part of data was lost on reboot...).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Now I don't know, maybe it is about 60-80 km distance from me but motorway is not toll-free and I am traveling using company's car.

Maybe a GPS logger application would help to find out the exact place of reboot anyway (or at least something close to it depending what part of data was lost on reboot...).

Well that is too far for tests anyway. I had hoped it was so close so it was easy to test.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Interesting! Do you get it in both directions?

Can you narrow down the where by the time since boot (Settings, Battery the stamps for Last Full Charge is incorrectly reset on boot) ? That might make it easier to do experiments. With a little luck the problematic place is not far away...

Do you like @VaZso have two sims active? If not we can rule out that as related...

I think that I am not able to locate the place very precisely. I was driving 150km away and noticed that phone had rebooted during the trip. It only happened one way (not in both directions) and I am using one SIM.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2020 at 6:09 AM, FlyingAntero said:

I think that I am not able to locate the place very precisely. I was driving 150km away and noticed that phone had rebooted during the trip. It only happened one way (not in both directions) and I am using one SIM.

Thanks. Well then at the least we know it is NOT related limited to two SIMs. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks. Well then at the least we know it is NOT related to two SIMs. 🙂

Actually... We don't know if it is actually 2 distinct problems with the same symptom (reboot). It can still be that there's some problem with two SIM and a different problem when just one SIM.

@FlyingAntero Are there any features disabled by your carrier in any of the cards? For example, a SIM card that is dedicated towards internet (cannot do calls or send SMS) or a SIM card that has no internet? Is it possible that the reboot happens at a time when a system message (the kind that causes a popup in most phones) is sent to the phone?

Is location turned on when the failure happens? What about "mobile data" too?

Hopefully those can help pinpointing the problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brunoais said:

@FlyingAntero Are there any features disabled by your carrier in any of the cards? For example, a SIM card that is dedicated towards internet (cannot do calls or send SMS) or a SIM card that has no internet? Is it possible that the reboot happens at a time when a system message (the kind that causes a popup in most phones) is sent to the phone?

Is location turned on when the failure happens? What about "mobile data" too?

Anyway, for me, I have mobile data enabled on SIM2 and disabled on SIM1 and both SIMs have call and SMS capabilities.
I didn't have any system message(s) sent to the phone but I have location service turned on and basically VoLTE is disabled by service provider for my card.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@VaZso

Does SIM1 support mobile data? Did you disable mobile data on the phone settings? If it doesn't support mobile data, can you try turning mobile data on for that section of the road?

VoLTE Disabled.... Can that be a clue for what the problem is? I have no idea TBH. Just throwing some ideas to help

Edited by brunoais

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brunoais said:

VoLTE Disabled.... Can that be a clue for what the problem is? I have no idea TBH. Just throwing some ideas to help

I have VoLTE disabled since my carrier (DNA, Finland) has not enabled VoLTE for Pro1. VoLTE is working on my current SIM with Xperia XZ1 Compact.

PS. Maybe we should move to another thread to discuss about this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@EskeRahn Please extract my discussion with @FlyingAntero to try solving his problem into a different topic. Thanks in advance.

4 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

I have VoLTE disabled since my carrier (DNA, Finland) has not enabled VoLTE for Pro1. VoLTE is working on my current SIM with Xperia XZ1 Compact.

Yeah but this can be a piece for the complicated puzzle that is causing the reboots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My Pro1 restarts itself when I put it into a metal locker. WiFi connected, both SIMs inserted. 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 3zet said:

My Pro1 restarts itself when I put it into a metal locker. WiFi connected, both SIMs inserted. 

This is very interesting! Are you able to reproduce the issue? If you can then maybe Pro1 is rebooting in specific situation when there is no network or the network is changing. Reboots seems to happen during traveling. It is common that there are areas without network when you are driving between cities. Similar thing might happen when you put phone to metal locker which blocks network (like a Faraday cage).

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, brunoais said:

@VaZso

Does SIM1 support mobile data? Did you disable mobile data on the phone settings? If it doesn't support mobile data, can you try turning mobile data on for that section of the road?

VoLTE Disabled.... Can that be a clue for what the problem is? I have no idea TBH. Just throwing some ideas to help

Yes, in phone settings.
I think it supports mobile data - if I remember well, it also displays their website.

Anyway, I could enable data also for that SIM but as the other one has data plan, I don't need it. Also it means I have 4G enabled on SIM2 but SIM1 has only 3G as far as I know.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Yes, in phone settings.
I think it supports mobile data - if I remember well, it also displays their website.

Anyway, I could enable data also for that SIM but as the other one has data plan, I don't need it. Also it means I have 4G enabled on SIM2 but SIM1 has only 3G as far as I know.

It can be that a mix of 3G and 4G cards can cause the reboot when one loses connection... Just something to consider.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/4/2020 at 5:49 PM, NiG said:

Hi all, my phone have a problem. It's randomly reboot when used 3G network, especially if i switching wi-fi network. When i switch network settings to 2G, LTE or 2G/TDSWCDMA/LTE, all fine. What's the problem?

My network use WCDMA 900/2100 MHz (B8/B1). Phone have the latest update QX-1000_EEA_20200106110245.

P.S. Sorry for my bad English. Thanks!

I had already forgot this message. I haven't changed any network settings so I believe that when I am using 3G either B1 (2100Mhz) or B8 (900Mhz) is selected. Those are bands that are used in Finland. B1 is usually used in cities and B8 outside cities. B8 might be the reason for reboots since I have faced reboots only when I travel between cities. There is a high change that B8 is used on those situations. If I am at home where 4G or 3G (possibly B1) is used I have no issues.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms