Unable to record in stereo

12 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

So I guess there's no fix for this and the Pro1 is just a broken POS software wise? Good thing I never retired my N900 because even that thing is far less buggy than the Pro1.

I can't say much about stereo recording, because I'm not really into that.  But I can say the software is .. well .. let's just say rather unpolished and leave it at that.  But the hardware is generally very good.  I highly recommend giving Lineage a try.  It makes the software experience much better, in my (biased) opinion.

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Zamasu said:

I'm pretty sure there's only 1 microphone in the Pro1, unlike the N900 which has a microphone at either end it seems?

There are two mics on Pro1. First is next to the charging port and second is next to the camera module.

On 7/8/2020 at 1:40 AM, Wasmachineman_NL said:

I tried filming my WT745 earlier tonight but I noticed I can't film with stereo audio for some reason, and the audio itself is very quiet. Wat do?

Make sure that you have not covered mics during filming. If you are using a case check that the mic next to the camera is not covered.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, FlyingAntero said:

There are two mics on Pro1.

The mic placement is clearly intended for noise-reduction.

And I have no idea if the mics are handled as individual mics and the noise-reduction are done software-wise, OR if it is some chipset function using two physical mics, but only giving one mono stream of input to the system. I would not be surprised if the second was the case. Anyone knows? @tdm ?

• Like 1
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

The mic placement is clearly intended for noise-reduction.

And I have no idea if the mics are handled as individual mics and the noise-reduction are done software-wise, OR if it is some chipset function using two physical mics, but only giving one mono stream of input to the system. I would not be surprised if the second was the case. Anyone knows? @tdm ?

The msm8998 is definitely capable of stereo recording.  But I don't know how the Pro1 has it wired up.  You would probably have to ask @Waxberry.

• Thanks 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Look at this shit:

I paid nearly €700 for this thing and I have to put up with broken as hell software with problems like not being able to record with proper sound or spontaneous reboots. Shame on you Fxtec! Software QA needs to become much better if you really want to break through because most people won't tolerate bugs like this.

Edited by Wasmachineman_NL

Yeah snapdragon camera has lots of issues.   I watched a bit and was wondering if maybe it had to do with it seemed to sometimes keep trying to refocus.  But yeah not much sound going on that I noticed.

Lineagecamera is fine, yep.   Another alternative for stock or Lineage is OpenCamera.  It even recognizes our focus and shutter buttons.   Although if you're trying to use the button with stock you'll need a 3rd party app to prevent the camera button from auto-launching snapdragon app, one of the many other problems with stock that were reported last year.....

• Like 2

Am I guessing correctly when I point to noise reduction?

Some days ago I recorded a video on a construction site. The noise reduction converted most of the "background noise" to silence. Sometimes it "failed" and actually recorded sound as well. The result was a video that barely had audible sound, even at high volume, and intermittent bursts of eardrum piercing noise.

The snapdragon camera is the worst camera app I have seen in my life :classic_sad:

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/29/2020 at 1:00 PM, daniel.schaaaf said:

Am I guessing correctly when I point to noise reduction?

Some days ago I recorded a video on a construction site. The noise reduction converted most of the "background noise" to silence. Sometimes it "failed" and actually recorded sound as well. The result was a video that barely had audible sound, even at high volume, and intermittent bursts of eardrum piercing noise.

The snapdragon camera is the worst camera app I have seen in my life :classic_sad:

I have been stalking these forums hoping for a fix for the audio recording but seemingly no signs of interest - when recording video it can't seem to handle a room with both background music and people talking.  It's becoming too difficult to overlook family videos and Zoom meetings that don't sound like static with intermittent screeching.  It breaks my heart because of this, poor volume control, and the earpiece easily losing physical connection, I am looking for a new phone now. 

On the other hand, everything else about the phone has been great...except everything audio related...for a phone...    

2 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

You might want to investigate 3rd party camera apps first :classic_wink:

I cannot recommend any, since I rarely record video and the issue is not urgent to me. But others in the forum surely can help you with suggestions :classic_biggrin:

I have tried many and unfortunately they all behave similarly - fine picture quality with poor audio.  The noise reduction is seemingly only set for voicecalls when the phone is next to your ear.  Perhaps someone can correct me but I assume noise reduction would behave differently or switch to different settings when on speakerphone or any other form of mic use. 

For the time being the phone is unable to record sounds in an ambient setting,  and keeps switching between nearby/further sounds, resulting in random clicks, silence, faint and intermittent sounds.   

By all means I still fully support this project and appreciate the efforts this company went through to ship this product - the keyboard and performance otherwise is excellent (remoting to PCs is great!) - but until the audio is fixed the phone part of this communication device has not been reliable enough for my current needs - especially during the pandemic (work meetings with my Moto Z Play is not a thrilling compromise). 

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Sigh. If I can't get the mic to work properly i'm just going back to my N900's camera. I did manage to film in 4k this time around though, it was a setting uncovered by enabling Camera2 API.

You need a noisier washing machine.... 😇

There seem to be some sort of cut off level so that at levels below this nothing is recorded. In some contexts that can make a lot of sense but in others not, so what is lacking is a way for the user to select this level.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

There seem to be some sort of cut off level so that at levels below this nothing is recorded. In some contexts that can make a lot of sense but in others not, so what is lacking is a way for the user to select this level.

The mic is very much tuned for picking up nearby voice and nothing else, I believe this can be fixed in software fairly easily but wouldn't know how off-hand. I've tried many apps to see if any of them are able to record the audio unprocessed but that doesn't seem to be the case.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, netman said:

The mic is very much tuned for picking up nearby voice and nothing else, I believe this can be fixed in software fairly easily but wouldn't know how off-hand. I've tried many apps to see if any of them are able to record the audio unprocessed but that doesn't seem to be the case.

If used hand held (and that is not uncommon for a phone) fumbling with the device it self will unavoidably cause some noise, and my guess is that is the reason for the cut off. But sure it could make sense to give the user more control.

It could be the same cut-off level that make the device hard to use for hands free calls, unless you raise your voice to 'meeting level'.

So might be deep in the microphone driver/circuitry,

16 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

If used hand held (and that is not uncommon for a phone) fumbling with the device it self will unavoidably cause some noise, and my guess is that is the reason for the cut off. But sure it could make sense to give the user more control.

It could be the same cut-off level that make the device hard to use for hands free calls, unless you raise your voice to 'meeting level'.

So might be deep in the microphone driver/circuitry,

I don't think it's related to the circuitry at all, I believe there's (compile time) settings for this. Pretty sure it filters out faraway based on phase offset between the two microphones and has a noise gate on that too. Some phones expose the unprocessed audio as an additional audio source if I am not wrong, but this isn't the case on the Pro1.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I confess I rarely shoot video with phones, but I would expect such a noise suppression feature, if available, to be activated for voice calls, but never for video recording... There shouldn't anything at all be cancelled out...

Edit: Tried it again with my Moto Z3 Play – unfortunately, it does it, too, although the cutoff level seems very low...

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1