PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

1 minute ago, acrux said:

Interesting - shouldn't the A/B slot system be for just these cases - updated slot fails to boot and you can boot the previous slot which is still OK (without the update)?

Can you switch the active slot at bootloader mode to previous one and try to boot that one?

I couldn't even get to the recovery. After trying a few times to reboot to recovery via the bootloader, I succeeded and got to LineageOS Recovery.

I am now sideloading the 20200824 build via Recovery, will do the same for opengapps too. I dared not try to switch the slot because wasn't sure how I managed to get recovery to appear  because it was refusing to at first.

• Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

1 hour ago, marmistrz said:

Same here, no gapps at all. I tried downgrading (unsupported, I know), but the recovery doesn't accept sideloading in either case (both 20200803 and 20200824). I'm simply getting

adb: sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found
adb: trying pre-KitKat sideload method...
adb: pre-KitKat sideload connection failed: no devices/emulators found

I got this a couple times too. Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable a couple times solved it. Sideload is now going about its business (39% so far and counting).

UPDATE: Apparently, sideloaded succesfully. ADB on the PC (linux) hung at 47% for about 2 minutes but the phone was going on about its business (Step 1/2, then Step 2/2, then finished).

There might be hope for us? I still haven't booted because I'm waiting for opengapps download to finish. I'll sideload it again as per @Hook's recommendation.

UPDATE 2: Sure-fire way to get to recovery for me turned out to be via volume-up button. Just hold Power and vol-up together until phone gets to the boot (Fxtec logo) screen. You can then release the Power button but keep pressing Vol-Up until you get to the recovery.

Edited by agent008
5 minutes ago, agent008 said:

I got this a couple times too. Disconnecting and reconnecting the USB cable a couple times solved it. Sideload is now going about its business (39% so far and counting).

Note that, on my computer, after issuing the adb sideload command to flash LOS, the % tally stops at 47%.  It just sits there like that for a long while with occasional text popping up on the phone.  You have to be patient, it will complete.  Make sure you reboot to recovery after you have flasjed LOS.

Also, when you try to sideload Gapps, recovery will complain and ask if it is safe (it's some signature problem I think).  Just say yes.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, Hook said:

Note that, on my computer, after issuing the adb sideload command to flash LOS, the % tally stops at 47%.  It just sits there like that for a long while with occasional text popping up on the phone.  You have to be patient, it will complete.  Make sure you reboot to recovery after you have flasjed LOS.

Also, when you try to sideload Gapps, recovery will complain and ask if it is safe (it's some signature problem I think).  Just say yes.

Is a reboot between sideloading Lineage and opengapps mandatory? I still havent sideloaded anything else than 20200824, waiting for latest opengapps to finish downloading (stock flavour is huge - 877MB).

Just now, agent008 said:

Is a reboot between sideloading Lineage and opengapps mandatory? I still havent sideloaded anything else than 20200824, waiting for latest opengapps to finish downloading (stock flavour is huge - 877MB).

Reboot to recovery is mandatory after sideloding LOS because that will switch you to the correct slot.

• Thanks 3
2 hours ago, Hook said:

It seems to always do this, did on all the test/images too, so quite normal. Actually the gaps also 'stops' at 47% but is so much faster that we usually do not notice. (I wonder why they did not choose to stop at 42 😁😇)

• Haha 3

SUCCESS!

I managed to install the update by flashing via Lineage Recovery / ADB sideload.

For anyone who might be in the same pickle as I was, the procedures I described a few posts above were the solution. The most difficult part was getting to boot into recovery, I don't know why. I am sure I chose "Boot to Recovery" a few times at the bootloader but it never worked.
What worked for me was the Power Button + Volume Up button method.

Talk about relief..! 😁

TL/DR:

20200824 OTA broke my LineageOS setup.
Fixed it by:
0) Downloading the latest (20200824) Lineage image for the Pro1 - https://download.lineageos.org/pro1 and OpenGapps (could be another Gapps flavour of your choice)
1) Rebooting to Lineage Recovery - Hold down power button and volume up button simultaneously, let go of power button after the Fxtec logo appeared on screen, let go of the volume button after Lineage Recovery showed up on screen.
2) Hooking phone up by USB cable to a computer with ADB installed on it
3) Choosing "Apply Update", then "Apply from ADB" on Recovery
4) Issuing the command :

adb sideload lineage-16.0-20200824-nightly-pro1-signed.zip

5) Being patient! (seems to stall after 47% on the computer, but after several minutes finishes OK)
6) From within Lineage Recovery, choosing to "reboot to Recovery"
7) Installing Gapps (and whatever other addons you wish) via ADB by repeating Step 3 and then issuing the command:

adb sideload <your apps zip here>

and repeating above command for each .zip you need.
8 ) "Choosing "reboot system now" on Lineage Recovery.

Edited by agent008
Added TL/DR 'recipe'
  • Like 4
26 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

It seems to always do this, did on all the test/images too, so quite normal. Actually the gaps also 'stops' at 47% but is so much faster that we usually do not notice. (I wonder why they did not choose to stop at 42 😁😇)

Yes, you are right, it is quite normal.  I was just trying to alert agent008 in case this was his first sideload and he thought another problem had popped up.  🙂

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, agent008 said:

SUCCESS!

I managed to install the update by flashing via Lineage Recovery / ADB sideload.

For anyone who might be in the same pickle as I was, the procedures I described a few posts above were the solution. The most difficult part was getting to boot into recovery, I don't know why. I am sure I chose "Boot to Recovery" a few times at the bootloader but it never worked.
What worked for me was the Power Button + Volume Up button method.

Talk about relief..! 😁

For future reference, a reboot to recovery is on the advanced menu in the Lineage Recovery itself.  Glad it all worked out. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, Hook said:

For future reference, a reboot to recovery is on the advanced menu in the Lineage Recovery itself.  Glad it all worked out. 🙂

Thanks! Wasn't my first sideload (I had already flashed LOS) but it felt like the first, I got really nervous after my beloved pride and joy Pro1 refused to boot, and kinda got lost as to what to do next 🤣

Don't know why ota would fail like that but you can always sideload to fix it.

The reason adb goes to 47% and stops is because Google expects about 210% data transfer over usb. Once to verify signature, once to install, plus some overhead. So the percent you see is scaled. But lineage recovery caches data and only transfers 100% exactly. So it gets to 47% and then stops while the ota is installed. Lineage adb shows a nice little ASCII spinner to let you know it's alive.

Edited by tdm
  • Thanks 6

Is anybody else experiencing problems getting a GPS fix?
I can get the approximate location via the cell tower triangulation, but not an actual fix from the satellites.
I even left my device charging outside the window but no dice

9 hours ago, agent008 said:

Any way to debug in case it fails next time? I'd be happy to provide any logs or data for a better insight on the problem. Thanks

I doubt it. I think this happens when it fails to mount /data. And that likely happens before adb is working.

Also remember, if this happens again, you should be able to switch back to the working slot in fastboot.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, alexmarzulli said:

Is anybody else experiencing problems getting a GPS fix?
I can get the approximate location via the cell tower triangulation, but not an actual fix from the satellites.
I even left my device charging outside the window but no dice

It can take a VERY long time to get the very first fix. Try to leave it outside for say ten minutes, and see if that helps.
But Lineage DO seem to use fewer satellite-systems, see also the discussion here a month ago.

48 minutes ago, tdm said:

I doubt it. I think this happens when it fails to mount /data. And that likely happens before adb is working.

Also remember, if this happens again, you should be able to switch back to the working slot in fastboot.

I tried switching in fastboot and it didn't work. I ended up wiping data 😞

There's this one app by the Barmer health insurance, which has a function to scan documents via camera. Problem is, on the Pro1 the camera image is rotated 180 degrees, making aligning the documents to the viewfinder pretty challenging.

I've captured the moment where the app activates torch and camera. Maybe someone else here can figure out what this app does different from other camera apps that work properly.

barmer_camera.txt

2 hours ago, Wheeljack said:

There's this one app by the Barmer health insurance, which has a function to scan documents via camera. Problem is, on the Pro1 the camera image is rotated 180 degrees, making aligning the documents to the viewfinder pretty challenging.

I've captured the moment where the app activates torch and camera. Maybe someone else here can figure out what this app does different from other camera apps that work properly.

barmer_camera.txt 213.9 kB · 1 download

Don't suppose you can tell if stock also has this issue?

On 8/11/2020 at 10:46 AM, EvilDragon said:

Ha, thanks a lot! Both worked.

I tried top before - but didn't see anything special. But checking the log for crashes I could see that Android Auto was constantly crashing... removing and reinstalling it stopped the battery drain and made it work again.

Totally forgot about that as I didn't use my car since then 🙂

So yeah, it seems the update made all Google Apps crash. Is there a reason to prevent that?
Reinstalling the Google Apps each time wouldn't be an issue - but I need to redo the configurations each time as well, which is a bit annoying 🙂

Exactly this just happened to me.  I'm so grateful a search for "battery drain" pulled up this post.  I'm not very technical and probably would hav never discovered Android Auto was the culprit.  But I was losing 10% an hour or greater and my phone was heating up.  I was frankly getting ready to do a factory reset because I couldn't stop it and couldn't figure it out.  But the search turned up this post and I tried it.  Uninstalled Android Auto and the drain stopped.  Reinstalled, and all was still good.  When I reinstalled, I also discovered Google Maps was crashing, so reinstalled that, but that didn't seem to be draining the battery. 

Decided it was worth posting since it was exactly the same problem recurring, in case others run into this.

I love having the "unofficial" support of this forum and discord.  👍 🍻

• Like 3
  • EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion