PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

Hadn't even noticed it, since I barely use the launcher in landscape. But yeah, Trebuchet acts the same way here too, no matter if I set it to my usual 5x5 or go to a lower 4x4.

Have recently unlocked and flashed an old Moto G3 Osprey to Lineage 17.1 - Trebuchet doesn't even work there.

Overall I like the launcher being barebone - Nova always felt a bit bloated to me. All I'm missing with Trebuchet is the ability to set a specific screen as home screen, so I have three screens with my calender widget on the left and additional apps on the right just one swipe away each. And it used to be possible back in CyanogenMod days.

21 hours ago, jamescarruthers said:

On the Home Screens, when you make a Folder of Apps the name of the folder is displayer in Portrait Mode. In Landscape Mode the names disappear. Is there a way to switch the names on in Landscape mode?

Thats a trebuchet (lineage default launcher) issue, and yeah I remember mentioning that myself before switching to Nova launcher.

I have successfully flashed LineageOS on my recently arrived Pro1. People here were right, it  really is more polished than stock. Good job devs!

A few issues have arisen. Here's what I can remember off the top of my head:

* An app from an airline points program doesn't work. I suspect it to be SE-Linux/Privacy Protection related. Confirmed working on other phones (Moto One with stock firmware, Priv on stock FW) -- App is called "Smiles" from "Gol Linhas Aéreas" - com.pontomobi.smiles

* Choppy graphics do occur. Curiously enough, happens exactly after I run the aformentioned app. Issue goes away if I clean all apps from the app switch overview. This app does run a "background video" on its initial screen which might be the culprit, maybe GPU-related?

* The phone can't connect to my home router. It's a MikroTik RouterBOARD 951Ui-2HnD with OpenWRT. I enabled extended WiFi info in Developer Options, and get an network_selection_disabled_association_rejection status. Checking the router logs, no mention of connection attempt by the phone is logged (other Wifi client devices who connect successfully are logged as below). I can connect OK to a wifi extender and a Powerline AP (both sold by TP-Link).

Sat Aug  8 11:51:07 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:f5:05:b9:eb:91 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Sat Aug  8 11:51:07 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:f5:05:b9:eb:91 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Sat Aug  8 11:51:07 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:f5:05:b9:eb:91 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

There is something from stock which I find interesting, and maybe could be added to the Lineage port. It's the option of rotating the screen not automatically, but only when you want to. In stock if auto rotation is disabled, whenever you rotate the phone a "rotation" icon appears on the "bottom bar" along with the home and back buttons. This way I can tell the phone to rotate when I want to. I find this useful. Couldn't find a way to enable it on Lineage.

All in all, LOS is excellent and I'm posting the above issues in the hopes of improving it for everyone. I wouldn't go back to stock unless something veyr important for me (something that would get in the way of my work use of the phone) doesn't work. So far this isn't the case.

Thanks LOS devs!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
4 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

Any idea why the LOS Messaging (SMS) app displays a warning about sending SMS EVERY message. This is madness: it is this apps sole purpose and the Privacy Guard (whatever that is) doesn't seem to know it!

I have never ever seen this behavior with LOS and the default (AOSP) messaging app. There must be something somewhere on your setup doing this to you, but I have no idea what it is.  It isn't default LOS.

2 hours ago, agent008 said:

* The phone can't connect to my home router. It's a MikroTik RouterBOARD 951Ui-2HnD with OpenWRT. I enabled extended WiFi info in Developer Options, and get an network_selection_disabled_association_rejection status. Checking the router logs, no mention of connection attempt by the phone is logged (other Wifi client devices who connect successfully are logged as below). I can connect OK to a wifi extender and a Powerline AP (both sold by TP-Link).

Sat Aug  8 11:51:07 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:f5:05:b9:eb:91 IEEE 802.11: authenticated
Sat Aug  8 11:51:07 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:f5:05:b9:eb:91 IEEE 802.11: associated (aid 1)
Sat Aug  8 11:51:07 2020 daemon.info hostapd: wlan0: STA dc:f5:05:b9:eb:91 WPA: pairwise key handshake completed (RSN)

You might try checking the security settings on your router.  That seemed to work in the case in this thread, though not clear why. 

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, Hook said:

I have never ever seen this behavior with LOS and the default (AOSP) messaging app. There must be something somewhere on your setup doing this to you, but I have no idea what it is.  It isn't default LOS.

I played with a setting and put it back but it behaves as on "always confirm"!

Settings --> Security & Location -->  Trust --> SMS Message Limit.

This was on 200. I thought this seemed excessive, so I reduced it. I think it was then that this message appears every SMS even though I put it back to 200.

5 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

I played with a setting and put it back but it behaves as on "always confirm"!

Settings --> Security & Location -->  Trust --> SMS Message Limit.

This was on 200. I thought this seemed excessive, so I reduced it. I think it was then that this message appears every SMS even though I put it back to 200.

I've never touched that control, but mine is set (I assume was default) to "Apps can send 30 messages in 1 minute before requiring confirmation".

1 hour ago, jamescarruthers said:

Any idea why the LOS Messaging (SMS) app displays a warning about sending SMS EVERY message. This is madness: it is this apps sole purpose and the Privacy Guard (whatever that is) doesn't seem to know it!

In my case, by flashing OpenGapps-stock, AOSP SMS app got replaced by the Google version. Which so far didnˋt show any issues with permissions.

As for autocapitalization, it seems to be some high-level mechanism. I noticed that when I'm writing im in the Messaging app, it's automatically corrected to I'm, even when I'm using Polish for both hardware and software keyboard. This doesn't happen in some other apps, such as Conversations. Btw. it appears that on my old OnePlus 3 running LineageOS 14.1 there's an option for autocapitalization when I plug a USB keyboard, however, this option does nothing. There's no such option on LineageOS 16.0 on the Pro1.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

You might try checking the security settings on your router.  That seemed to work in the case in this thread, though not clear why. 

Thanks. Did the same exact configuration change (enabling WPA-PSK+WPA2-PSK mixed mode via router options), after that the Pro1 and the router made ammends 🤣

• Like 1

Just flashed Lineage to my device today and a couple things i wanted to note.

1. My bootloader came from the factory unlocked, so i didn't need to unlock the device. Seems like maybe the last batch never had their bootloaders locked, which might be an issue for those that need to run apps that verify the bootloader is locked.

2. When flashing open_gapps-arm64-9.0-mini-20200808.zip i saw a message saying "Signature Verification Failed. Install Anyway?". I didn't see this mentioned anywhere in the instructions, but clicking Yes let everything continue as expected.

Everything all seems to be working well so far no issues to report. 

• Like 2

Along the day I´ve been seeing an issue with the fingerprint sensor.

Sometimes the phone is locked and no matter how many times i touch the fingerprint reader, with any or all the fingers I configured, nothing happens. It is almost as if the sensor was not being "polled" or as if it was being ignored.

When this happens, after I unlock the phone via power button and pattern, if I immediately re-lock the screen, the fingerprint reader works ok.

It behaves like the sensor is turned off or ignored after the phone has been inactive for a certain amount of time.

Has anybody seen this behaviour on their phones?

1 minute ago, agent008 said:

Along the day I´ve been seeing an issue with the fingerprint sensor.

Sometimes the phone is locked and no matter how many times i touch the fingerprint reader, with any or all the fingers I configured, nothing happens. It is almost as if the sensor was not being "polled" or as if it was being ignored.

When this happens, after I unlock the phone via power button and pattern, if I immediately re-lock the screen, the fingerprint reader works ok.

It behaves like the sensor is turned off or ignored after the phone has been inactive for a certain amount of time.

Has anybody seen this behaviour on their phones?

I see this issue. But my device is preproduction so I thought it might be fixed in production devices. Guess not.

Does this happen on stock? I haven't run stock in..... well, ever, really.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, tdm said:

Does this happen on stock? I haven't run stock in..... well, ever, really.

I only got the phone on wednesday, so had two full days of use with stock - thursday and yesterday. With stock the issue was quite the opposite: always too eager to detect a print from my palm when picking up the Pro1 to the point that when i finally touched my finger the sensor had already got too many wrong readings from my hand and I had to "try again later" or unlock the standard way.

But on stock the sensor never became "insensitive".

Stock also did a stronger haptic feedback when it read a print, which is useful to know if you actually got a reading. One pulse for a good (authorised) print, two pulses for a wrong one. Both in a stronger fashion than LOS.

5 minutes ago, agent008 said:

I only got the phone on wednesday, so had two full days of use with stock - thursday and yesterday. With stock the issue was quite the opposite: always too eager to detect a print from my palm when picking up the Pro1 to the point that when i finally touched my finger the sensor had already got too many wrong readings from my hand and I had to "try again later" or unlock the standard way.

But on stock the sensor never became "insensitive".

Stock also did a stronger haptic feedback when it read a print, which is useful to know if you actually got a reading. One pulse for a good (authorised) print, two pulses for a wrong one. Both in a stronger fashion than LOS.

I wrote code to rate limit the fingerprint reader in order to reduce that eagerness. But since the fingerprint hardware driver is closed source, I had to put this between the driver and Android. This means the fingerprint driver is still detecting your finger and (trying to) pass that information up, but I'm discarding it. It is possible that the driver has some limit where it disables itself.  Or perhaps I made some mistake in my rate limit code.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
13 minutes ago, tdm said:

I wrote code to rate limit the fingerprint reader in order to reduce that eagerness. But since the fingerprint hardware driver is closed source, I had to put this between the driver and Android. This means the fingerprint driver is still detecting your finger and (trying to) pass that information up, but I'm discarding it. It is possible that the driver has some limit where it disables itself.  Or perhaps I made some mistake in my rate limit code.

I remember reading you explaining about the closed source driver for the reader somewhere in the forum (maybe Lineage test builds thread?). Thanks for the effort. Maybe just needs some fine tuning?

On 8/8/2020 at 8:10 PM, tdm said:

I wrote code to rate limit the fingerprint reader in order to reduce that eagerness.

Hi. After another day using LOS, I think there might be a cumulative delay between accepting fingerprints. This is a wild guess, but maybe your code is adding up the delay intervals instead of resetting them after a successful unlock?

I'm no programmer but can help you with testing, I'm willing to install another version of this code that would provide logging for your analysis if you think it's necessary.

• Thanks 1

Another thing. Google (the app) keeps telling me it is trying to download my "voice model" for the "OK google" command but it always fails download. I have disabled this voice command but the app still keeps trying to download this so-called "voice model". If I try to enable the option and re-record the voice model, before I have the chance to make a new recording, it tries to contact something over the internet and fails.

Could be an OpenGapps issue, don't know for sure. But it is somewhat consistent to what I've been getting from the "Smiles" app which is an app for a brazilian airline points program. This app's "scientific name" is com.pontomobi.smiles. They both try to contact their servers somehow and fail. I have no evidence to prove, but my conjecture is this could be SELinux related. Or maybe because we're running an unofficial Android build.

• Like 1
21 minutes ago, agent008 said:

Could be an OpenGapps issue, don't know for sure. But it is somewhat consistent to what I've been getting from the "Smiles" app which is an app for a brazilian airline points program. This app's "scientific name" is com.pontomobi.smiles. They both try to contact their servers somehow and fail. I have no evidence to prove, but my conjecture is this could be SELinux related. Or maybe because we're running an unofficial Android build.

Just a wild guess, You haven't by any chance something limiting the network access that need an explicit open? I use "Netguard", more advanced options are available if rooted. But sometimes I forget to poke a hole when an app usually not needing net-access for what ever reason does need it for other purposes than stealing our data.

• Thanks 1
  • EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion