AICP Q: Discussion

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've done a first build of AICP Q using the Lineage 17.1 sources as a base.  After it is tested for a while, I will probably try to get official support.   The boot image is used just as in

A brief update...   I've been working on a backup/restore solution for Linux (plus an Android app to drive it) that will be able to do full backup/restore, similar to TWRP.   This

So @tdm Just curious, not trying to bug you.   Is this project dead? Any possibility of AICP picking it up officially so it can get regular updates?  I obviously would like it to be resurrec

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Just flashed the newest a few hours ago. Coming from LOS 16 test builds. AICP is awesome! And no problems so far.

Magisk-stuff works also, although I didn't manage to set up my job email account in Outlook with the Company Portal addon; somehow it manages to find out the root. But not a problem, as I already had decided to drop the Outlook app and use webmail instead. 

But anyway, thank you @tdm for your effort! Sent you a small donation 😊

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, shubell said:

I have a blob question. What is AICP's stand on using other blobs like those found on codeaurora? 

I don't know exactly what blobs you are talking about. Can you be more specific?  But generally AICP is pretty lenient with their policies.

• 2 weeks later...

By the way, I'm having quite impressive battery life on AICP. Although it wasn't too bad on LOS either, but nowadays I can easily have three days of battery life, with moderate use. Recently I set up a home server running Nextcloud+Pihole, and I have found Pro1+Termux an awesome combination for configuration and hacking via ssh. Due to this find, I have used my Pro1 two or three times more than I normally would. But even that increased screen-on-time hasn't decreased battery life too much.

Screenshot_20210121-195711_Settings.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
4 hours ago, auvo.salmi said:

By the way, I'm having quite impressive battery life on AICP.

I do agree 😁

With no real usage, but still connected to both WiFi and mobile network, mine can last a week.

So we are down to what is substantially eating power is the screen and cpu when in use. And we can hardly complain on that.

I would claim that anyone on AICP that got a poor idle stamina on the Pro1, either need to weed out in the stuff they got running in the background, or should try to check if the device physically is placed where there is very poor reception of WiFi and/or mobile signal, so the device struggles to keep the connection.

• Like 1

Hi

Have been running this as a daily since November now. It works pretty good, with some minor bugs, where do I report them?

Btw, I'm on an early november release, don't realy know where to look for the revision.

The bugs I seen are 

1 sometimes the phone report "charging mode" or something similar in the status bar, did manage to caprure the logs for that.

2. a  couple of times, like three or four, the touch screen and usb-port has stopped working, I hane note managed to capture the logs with this fault present. I have not been able to open settings by only using the keyboard, is that possible to do? and sine the usb isn´t working, I can´t use ADB either.

some questions:

how do I upgrade  ´the software? always from my PC, or is there a OTA function?

there is a lot of different network modes to choose from, how do I know which one to use in sweden?

how do I get the custom keymap working? I have tried some way, but not succeeded.

which Phone app is best to use?

is there any tips on how to get call recording to work?

• Like 1
8 hours ago, pebert said:

Hi

Have been running this as a daily since November now. It works pretty good, with some minor bugs, where do I report them?

Here is a good place.  Or if you prefer discord, perhaps we can make an AICP channel in the Pro1 discord.  Or we could make a Pro1 channel in the AICP discord.

Btw, I'm on an early november release, don't realy know where to look for the revision.

The bugs I seen are 

1 sometimes the phone report "charging mode" or something similar in the status bar, did manage to caprure the logs for that.

I doubt this is AICP specific.  It is more likely an issue with hardware or kernel.

2. a  couple of times, like three or four, the touch screen and usb-port has stopped working, I hane note managed to capture the logs with this fault present. I have not been able to open settings by only using the keyboard, is that possible to do? and sine the usb isn´t working, I can´t use ADB either.

Again, this is most likely a hardware or kernel issue.

some questions:

how do I upgrade  ´the software? always from my PC, or is there a OTA function?

There is an OTA function.  This is an unofficial build, so there are only updates when I choose.  And I have been busy with other things for a while.  All the developers are working on R now, so Q is pretty stable.  There have been a few security updates since the last build, so I may do another soon.  But expect R to be available sometime in February.

there is a lot of different network modes to choose from, how do I know which one to use in sweden?

Sorry I can't answer this one. 🙂

how do I get the custom keymap working? I have tried some way, but not succeeded.

The custom keymap setting is not obvious.  It is for advanced users.  If you create a custom kernel keymap file and place it in /data/keyboard/layout (I think that's the correct path), the setting will allow that custom keymap file to be used.  If you don't have a custom kernel keymap file, the setting is not useful.  I should just remove that option entirely, to be honest.

That is subjective. 🙂

is there any tips on how to get call recording to work?

I have never used call recording, and I do not know if AICP supports it.  If it is important, perhaps you can ask in the AICP discord?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, pebert said:

Tjännare

AFAIK The bands used in Sweden are the same as the rest of Europe.
But it depends a bit on the carrier what they use, some might still be using the 2G bands, others (like "3") are limited to 3G and 4G. For "3" in Denmark "LTE/WCDMA" will suffice.

I do not know if there are any substantial overhead by selecting a wider range, or the SIM/operator tells the device which bands that they support? If not and you are in an area with poor coverage, there might be an overhead, scanning a broader rage of bands for better signals.

22 hours ago, tdm said:

There is an OTA function.  This is an unofficial build, so there are only updates when I choose.  And I have been busy with other things for a while.  All the developers are working on R now, so Q is pretty stable.  There have been a few security updates since the last build, so I may do another soon.  But expect R to be available sometime in February

where do I find, and how do I install the latest build?

22 hours ago, tdm said:

The custom keymap setting is not obvious.  It is for advanced users.  If you create a custom kernel keymap file and place it in /data/keyboard/layout (I think that's the correct path), the setting will allow that custom keymap file to be used.  If you don't have a custom kernel keymap file, the setting is not useful.  I should just remove that option entirely, to be honest.

Don´t remove it, sounds like a great function, just the one I have been looking for, only I could understand how it works.

I have edited a keymap, and put it in that folder. but I can´t manage to make it active. is there any documentation of this somewhere?

22 hours ago, tdm said:

That is subjective. 🙂

sorry, strange question. What I should ask was, Which Is the phone calling app included in the build?

2 hours ago, pebert said:

where do I find, and how do I install the latest build?

Settings -> AICP Extras -> Update Center.  You will get a notification when a new build is available.

Don´t remove it, sounds like a great function, just the one I have been looking for, only I could understand how it works.

I have edited a keymap, and put it in that folder. but I can´t manage to make it active. is there any documentation of this somewhere?

This is for the kernel keymap, by the way.  I posted some instructions a long time ago in the Lineage 16.0 thread.  Perhaps someone can find them.  Here is the exact file location:

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_fxtec_pro1/blob/lineage-18.1/devicesettings/src/org/lineageos/settings/device/Constants.java#L27

By removing it, I meant the toggle in the UI.  The system should still read and apply a custom keymap, but providing an option to disable it when the custom keymap file is present isn't really useful.  Why not just remove/rename the file?

sorry, strange question. What I should ask was, Which Is the phone calling app included in the build?

The default AOSP app, I believe.

22 minutes ago, pebert said:

I thought it had been some new releases from you since November 13?

Yes, the newest flashable version is from the link in the OP. The post hasn't been updated to change the date and the file doesn't include the date in the filename, but it is the latest version, newer than 13 Nov.  It is from 06 December (I dated my copy when I downloaded it).

• Thanks 3
1 hour ago, pebert said:

so from that link I get a update that`s not ota?

Yes.  You don't download OTAs as a file, you get them from the system updater.  I've never used the updater, so not much help there.

I would expect if you are on the 03 Nov version, the updater would update it.   If you are on the December version, then nothing should happen until @tdmupdates.

Edited by Hook

I noticed one issue, but I'm not sure if that's an easy one to fix as it seems to be common with other Android versions as well:

The microphone of a Bluetooth headset only works for phone calls.
Whenever you use some other app (audio recorder, WhatsApp, Skype, etc.), the microphone is not available - it only works with normal phone calls.

There's an app called "Lesser AudioSwitch" which can force the apps to use the bluetooth microphone - but it's a bit flakey (doesn't work all the time) and it seems to switch back to internal speakers as soon as the microphone is enabled.

It's a mess, as you can't use bluetooth headsets for audio conferencing...

Does anyone know more about this and is this fixing in Android?

It sounds like it needs some different routings / settings in the audio manager... so maybe can be fixed with an update 🙂

New build is up.  Build date is today, 2021/02/06.  It is available via OTA (settings -> aicp -> updates) or direct download.  Changes are virtually all security/bugfix updates, updates to the adblock hosts file, and language translation updates.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4
58 minutes ago, tdm said:

New build is up.  Build date is today, 2021/02/06.  It is available via OTA (settings -> aicp -> updates) or direct download.  Changes are virtually all security/bugfix updates, updates to the adblock hosts file, and language translation updates.

Can't wait to try it when my Pro1 gets back from London (on it's way).  More beers coming after payday Wed.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tdm said:

Sorry, forgot to ask, will the link in the op have the new version as before?  I prefer to flash over ADB and may have to anyway when I get my Pro1 back from repairs.  Could you change the date in the description of the link in the OP when you load a new one?  Not a big deal, but would let people know it's the newest file when the file has the same name always.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
24 minutes ago, Hook said:

Sorry, forgot to ask, will the link in the op have the new version as before?  I prefer to flash over ADB and may have to anyway when I gwt my Pro1 back from repairs.  Could you change the date in the description of the linkin the OP when you load a new one?  Not a big deal, but would let people know it's the newest file when the file has the same name always.

Yes the link in the op is always up to date. It is a symlink on the server.

I'll add the link to the actual file and the md5 hash for clarity.

• Thanks 5
1 hour ago, tdm said:

I'll add the link to the actual file and the md5 hash for clarity.

Thanks! it downloaded and installed smoothly (flashing).😎

Please also update the "Current build: 2020-11-02" in the OP. 😉

Add: And for those wondering it is on the January 05 Security update.

• Thanks 2