How many keyboard enthusiasts here have a background in IT?

How many keyboard enthusiasts here have a background in IT?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have professional experience in the field of IT?

• I currently work, or have worked, in IT for 5+ years.
    • I've done a bit of IT work (either working in the field for less than 5 years, or still studying).
    • My profession isn't related to IT, but it keeps me busy in my spare time.
    • I don't really know how to program or do sysadmin stuff; I just want a physical keyboard on my phone.

5 minutes ago, Longcat said:

@EskeRahn don't forget to also account for how intimidating a bundle of nerds is to non-nerds, thus causing them to stay as far away from these forums as possible, too!

Nope, you don't get rid of me that easy.  😉

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Longcat said:

@EskeRahn don't forget to also account for how intimidating a bundle of nerds is to non-nerds, thus causing them to stay as far away from these forums as possible, too!

This can be true, but I like to believe we're doing quite well at welcoming everyone on this forum :)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Been working in IT for decades, Masters and Bachelors in Information Technology Management.

I would like to mention that of the 14 people I know who have bought the Pro1 on my recommendation, there are 8 who are NOT in IT and 3 who are rather scared of tech in general.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, sequestris said:

I would like to mention that of the 14 people I know who have bought the Pro1 on my recommendation, there are 8 who are NOT in IT and 3 who are rather scared of tech in general.

That is an interesting perspective. People being conservative in taking in new technologies might find a real keyboard less unfamiliar than touch-typing as being more similar to the typewriter they know/knew.

• Like 1
On 2/20/2021 at 3:48 AM, EskeRahn said:

That is an interesting perspective. People being conservative in taking in new technologies might find a real keyboard less unfamiliar than touch-typing as being more similar to the typewriter they know/knew.

And I think when the background is not in tech they are less exposed in general to what is available. As a result, a recommendation of something that has practical applications is more desirable than something that is shiny and has lots of features.

• Like 3
2 hours ago, 3zet said:

Maybe not the IT itself,

@3zet is right that the spectrum of possible choices in the poll omits one important option: many people (like myself) have jobs that require extensive use of computing without IT being their primary subject. Such people generally have good knowledge of IT and are fully capable of many administrative tasks without those things being formally part of their paid work.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 3

I have a bachelors in Computing and Information Systems (pointless jack-of-all trades master-of-none degree) which I barely used and for years the only computer I use at work is a CNC controller.  I've never had a keyboard phone and have one desktop at home which I've not 'played with' for years so no need for sysadmin stuff there either...

I'm here because I hate touchscreens, especially typing on them, and covering half the screen (or more with ever-wider resolutions) just makes it worse.  Phones are too big anyway so may as well get one that spares my sanity and can be fixed easily to justify the lost pocket (bag?) space.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Even though I have an unhealthy 26 years in IT, the main reason I own phones with physical keyboards is the fact that my fingers do not register well on touchscreens. Back in the day I was very happy with stylus' and resistive touch screens. And before that the plain old directional keys 😅.

I welcome all to the keyboard family. who knows, maybe even a revival of the keyboard phone for every brand 😁.

Edited by DieBruine
VaZso the hater 🙃
  • Like 1