LineageOS 18.1 Official Release for Pro1

Also, what is the most recommended solution for Google Apps?
We have installed MindTheGapps yesterday and Play store has exited the first time, then it worked, but Whatsapp needed some additional services.

What seems to be the best?

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just one last update on that slightly off-topic discussion from few weeks ago: Following @Sean McCreary's suggestions, I was indeed able to build an up-to-date (unofficial) LOS 16.0. It

As much as I enjoy the fact that LineageOS on the Pro1 seems to be alive and well, I am puzzled by the practice of removing previous major releases from the build systems as soon as a new version is m

Its purpose is to bring the tap-insensitive display borders back from too wide to normal after a display replacement. If you need a display replacement and you get one from any other source than

Posted Images

1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Do you mean a range of nearly half an hour?

No... maybe a few minutes. (I wasn't successful at my first attempt, either, and I did kill boot attempts which took longer than, say, ten or fifteen minutes, and flashed everything again...)

A factory reset after sideloading LineageOS is definitely not necessary.

Regarding Magisk: First I installed Magisk by sideloading it. (I took the the apk from https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/tag/v23.0 and renamed it to zip before sideloading.)  After first boot, the Magisk app already showed up. (If it wouldn't, you'd need to install the apk. I still reinstalled the original apk, too, which might not have been necessary.)

Then, from within the app, you can install modules. The puzzle-piece icon at the bottom of the screen gets you there. A module list should come up under the heading "Online", and MagiskHide Props Config should be one of the items. Just tap, install, reboot 🙂 

28 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Also, what is the most recommended solution for Google Apps?

I really couldn't say... The most obvious difference is that Open GApps comes in five flavours from "pico" (only basic services, no apps) to "full", whereas MindTheGApps has only one (see @EskeRahn's comprehensive comparison).  

On LOS 16.1 I used to be happy with Open GApps "nano", and on LOS 18.1 I've been perfectly fine with MindTheGApps so far, too (I only moved because when I upgraded LOS to 18.1 there were no OpenGApps for Android level 11 available yet.)

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

I've been perfectly fine with MindTheGApps so far, too (I only moved because when I upgraded LOS to 18.1 there were no OpenGApps for Android level 11 available yet.)

Thank you.
Currently it seems it only supports "nano" and "pico" variant, so still MindTheGApps seems to be better.

Anyway, are the missing services can be installed through Play store or not necessarily?
So far it seems additional applications I may use are exists in the store.

• Like 1

I think the necessary services are all included, and the missing apps should be installable from the Play Store. I just added Maps (which somehow couldn't be restored from backup) successfully that way.

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

I think the necessary services are all included, and the missing apps should be installable from the Play Store. I just added Maps (which somehow couldn't be restored from backup) successfully that way.

Thank you your help.

I met my friend again (had to bring his cat to the vet) and I have looked again at his Pro1.
We had to install Magisk using sideload for the puzzle-pience icon to appear where MagiskHide Props Config was selectable, soit passes Safetynet now and I also could gain root access to Termux and superuser privilege for that application can be enabled and also disabled.

There was an application which I had to put to the hide root state and everything works perfectly.

Also I have tried the very same GCam mod which I currently use and it also worked which I was afraid it may not work.
(There are several ports and there are image quality differences especially in dark condition and this version seemed to produce the best photos for me.)

So, practically I don't see a reason for myself not to install LineageOS on my own device.
It was also very fast anyway - maybe partly because of the fresh install (however, applications were already reinstalled) but it may also be more optimized, I don't know.
I may also have an option to use NFC payment which does not work using stock OS with outdated security patch level.

As I read earlier, it should also survive updates if I sideload new nightly then Magisk at once - am I right?
How about running update inside Android?

• Like 1
5 hours ago, VaZso said:

I may also have an option to use NFC payment which does not work using stock OS with outdated security patch level.

Yes, I've been paying contactless with my phone at supermarket counters ever since I moved to LOS 18.1+ Magisk. Just had to install Google Pay from Play Store, activate Magisk Hide for it (actually I don't even know if it's necessary) and configure something (like my VISA card) as payment method. At least here in Germany paying by phone actually works better than using the bank card via NFC, where the bank regularly requires me to enter the PIN even though I'm using NFC. With the phone I don't have to.

5 hours ago, VaZso said:

As I read earlier, it should also survive updates if I sideload new nightly then Magisk at once - am I right?
How about running update inside Android?

Until now, I always installed system updates OTA from the system settings. Both GApps and Magisk survive the updates.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 1
8 minutes ago, Slion said:

Can't find Netflix and Disney+ on Google Play. Assuming that's an issue with SafetyNet. How can I sort this out?

This thread may help.  I haven't done any of this because I don't care about this stuff, but from comments I've seen there is stuff in this thread that works.  I think @Rob. S. has messed with all this most recently and will probably be more helpful than me.

• Thanks 1

Spellchecker in browsers not working there either…

Well I only tested Fulguris but I'm going to assume that's the same in all Chromium based browsers like on stock.
This is so weird how could have this bug carried over from stock to LOS, does not make much sense to me. At least there is hope this could be fixed in LOS I guess.

Edited by Slion

Another major issue is that when the keyboard is open and you focus a text field in a browser for instance you get a useless band of empty screen at the bottom, that's possibly not an issue when not using navigation gesture. It looks like it tries to show an empty navigation bar. That one is pretty much a show stopper for me as it prevents proper use of keyboard in browsers. Chrome, Firefox Klar/Focus and Fulguris are all affected.

How do we report bug for LOS? Do they track those on GitHub somewhere?

Edited by Slion
  • Like 1

Is it just me or the fact that they swap the task switcher direction between landscape and portrait is very annoying. When in portrait to scroll through your tasks you drag vertically, do that in landscape and you close your task. Who the hell comes up with ideas like that at Google's Android. Moreover the way they capture the preview screenshots for the task switcher is rather useless in landscape.

I'm in a ranting mood 😁

LOS 18.1 is awesome so far but it looks like it's going to take weeks of bug fixing to get it as useable as stock...

That's kind of why I postponed flashing it for so long in fact, I knew that was coming 🤣

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Slion said:

Another major issue is that when the keyboard is open and you focus a text field in a browser for instance you get a useless band of empty screen at the bottom, that's possibly not an issue when not using navigation gesture. It looks like it tries to show an empty navigation bar. That one is pretty much a show stopper for me as it prevents proper use of keyboard in browsers. Chrome, Firefox Klar/Focus and Fulguris are all affected.

How do we report bug for LOS? Do they track those on GitHub somewhere?

That's indeed no an issue when using navigation buttons rather than navigation gestures.

9 minutes ago, Slion said:

Is it just me or the fact that they swap the task switcher direction between landscape and portrait is very annoying. When in portrait to scroll through your tasks you drag vertically, do that in landscape and you close your task. Who the hell comes up with ideas like that at Google's Android. Moreover the way they capture the preview screenshots for the task switcher is rather useless in landscape.

Ho wait that's only an issue when the keyboard is open. It's like the task switcher still thinks you are in portrait. Not an Android bug then but really a bug of LOS for Pro¹.

Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

So I created two issues from what I reported above:

https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/3873

https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/3874

Could any of you reproduce them?

I'm not quite sure I understand the first one.  When I open the task switcher in landscape, cards for apps able to do landscape are in landscape and apps that don't do landscape are in sideways portrait-- because they can't do landscape. In eiher case the cards slide to the right or left and the icons are at the top.  <shrug>  

The second one, I dunno, since I use a nav bar and not gestures. 😉

• Like 1
17 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm not quite sure I understand the first one

That's how it looks, portrait task switcher while in landscape with keyboard opened:

Screenshot_20210823-004830_Trebuchet.thumb.png.bfc8cc7ac6dedbb9362db1941390f30e.png

Actually if I bring up the task switcher from the home screen it works as it should.
However if I bring it up from an app it is broken like that.
Again using gesture navigation so if you are using button navigation it's possibly not issue then.

1 hour ago, Slion said:

So I created two issues from what I reported above:

https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/3873

https://gitlab.com/LineageOS/issues/android/-/issues/3874

Could any of you reproduce them?

On LineageOS 16.0 (build date: 20210815):

• Can't reproduce #3873
    Dragging left-right always switches tasks, flinging to the top closes them. Both in landscape and portrait, irrespective whether keyboard is open or closed -- though open keyboard forces landscape for me, don't know if this can be disabled (would anyone want that?).
  • Can't reproduce #3874
    with gesture navigation enabled, opening the gitlab.com search box in the described way does not open an empty nav bar. Firefox here, not Chrome (as in the report). But as you initially wrote it happens in all browsers ...

As I am on a different LOS branch, I am not sure if I should comment your LOS 18.1 bugs, so I report here for info.

Unless you have some awkward config in your system, both bugs seem like regressions to me, either in AOSP or Lineage.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Hook said:

I'm not quite sure I understand the first one.  When I open the task switcher in landscape, cards for apps able to do landscape are in landscape and apps that don't do landscape are in sideways portrait-- because they can't do landscape. In eiher case the cards slide to the right or left and the icons are at the top. 

If I've observed the task switcher correctly, when "auto-rotate" is enabled, the cards' outer shape always follows the orientation in which the phone is currently held, and the cards' displayed content always follows the orientation the respective task was opened in.

For me, this works the same for closed keyboard and open keyboard – with the exception that open keyboard forces landscape even when the device is held in portrait orientation.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Like 1
21 minutes ago, claude0001 said:

As I am on a different LOS branch, I am not sure if I should comment your LOS 18.1 bugs, so I report here for info.

Looks like both bugs are related to gesture navigation which is a feature that was introduced in Android 10 and therefore probably not available in LOS 16.

Edited by Slion
17 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

If I've observed the task switcher correctly, when "auto-rotate" is enabled, the cards' outer shape always follows the orientation in which the phone is currently held, and the cards' displayed content always follows the orientation the respective task was opened in.

For me, this works the same for closed keyboard and open keyboard – with the exception that open keyboard forces landscape even when the device is held in portrait orientation.

Are you using gesture navigation? How did you invoke the task switcher? From where did you invoke it from, home screen or other app?