LineageOS 18.1 Official Release for Pro1

• Replies 532
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So, just one last update on that slightly off-topic discussion from few weeks ago: Following @Sean McCreary's suggestions, I was indeed able to build an up-to-date (unofficial) LOS 16.0. It

As much as I enjoy the fact that LineageOS on the Pro1 seems to be alive and well, I am puzzled by the practice of removing previous major releases from the build systems as soon as a new version is m

Its purpose is to bring the tap-insensitive display borders back from too wide to normal after a display replacement. If you need a display replacement and you get one from any other source than

Posted Images

46 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

Of all the days to release the first official 18.1 build, they chose this one.

@EskeRahnLooks like we need a Lineage 18.1 Official Builds: Discussion thread.

What should we be using fo Gapps?  NikGapps has been being used in the unofficial thread.  Opengapps only has test builds for Android !!, but I notice both OpenGapps and NikGaaps latest files have the same date.  Are they the same or coincidence?

I'm probably going to try NikApps Basic

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Wheeljack said:

Of all the days to release the first official 18.1 build, they chose this one.

Does it mean it seems we will have an official 18.1 release for the Pro1 very soon?
(I currently see nightly builds only but the announce is relatively new which I hope is not an April fool 🙂 )

Just because stock Android started to have soft-reboot issues again for me several weeks ago and I don't want to set the OS up again and again, so I would go for LineageOS, but it would be good to start with 18.1. 😄

Anyway, are there any problems exist with LineageOS 18 which would cause issues as a daily driver?
Thank you your reply in advance. 🙂

lineage-18.1-20210401-nightly-pro1-signed.zip installed using ADB sideload.  Installed the new recovery and did a factory reset.  Used MindTheGapps HERE.  All went smoothly, including flashing Magisk, and am now setting up my Pro1.

• Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Do everything work correctly?

I'll let you know.  RL took over to pull me away from finishing setting up my Pro1.  So far everything is working great.

• Thanks 3

Sorry it took me so long to get back.  I only just got back to setting up, but so far everything is going smoothly.  I expect the rest to go well/  One big surprise is that Verizon works, right out of the box.  I had meant to try 17.1 when 18.1 hit, so I decided to try it on a lark.  No muss, no fuss, no hoops, just followed windraver's instructions in this post: 

I'll continue to monitor, as I had it working on stock for 3 months long ago, but this just worked and before I had to do a complicated dance.  I think it may be right this time.

Everything so far is working great.  Next test, tomorrow, will be Android Auto.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A quick rundown of my dirty flash:

Had LOS 17.1 with OpenGapps Nano installed.

Download LOS_18.1.zip and MindTheGapps_11_arm64 to PC

Connect phone to PC

Reboot to recovery (the recovery from LOS 17.1 will do - no need to fastboot flash the recovery.img)

Install via ADB sideload

run from command line: adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210401-nightly-pro1-signed.zip

Select Advanced -> Reboot to Recovery

run from command line: adb sideload MindTheGapps-11.0.0-arm64-20210220_140101.zip

Reboot

Have my Pro1 running for 4 hours now without issues. Still having no luck with my car's BT handsfree though 😞

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

I did a clean flash.

Flashed the new 18.1 recovery to bootloader, rebooted to recovery, did a factory reset/data wipe, then flashed 18.1, Magisk and MindTheGapps, reboot.

All smooth as silk (takes me only a few hours to rebuild).

Verizon works right out of the box, as does Android Auto.

I tend to do clean flashes when moving between major versions.  You can get away with a dirty flash sometimes, but I believe it's risky.  That's why Lineage doesn't let you move via OTA.

Oh, and yes, each nightly updates the recovery, I believe.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Wheeljack said:

Have my Pro1 running for 4 hours now without issues. Still having no luck with my car's BT handsfree though 😞

Me either, but since Android Auto works perfectly, I can get everything I need that way.  But, yes, the BT in the car thing is frustrating.  It might make me switch back to deconvergence (using my Moto G8 as phone and Pro1 as PDA) if I ever take a long trip again.

• Like 1

I went form unofficial to official and used NikGapps Omni instead of MtG.

adb reboot bootloader
fastboot flash boot lineage-18.1-20210401-recovery-pro1.img
reboot to recovery
adb sideload lineage-18.1-20210401-nightly-pro1-signed.zip
reboot to recovery
adb sideload NikGapps-omni-arm64-11-20210324-signed.zip

And if you get stuck in a  bootloop, try flashing the OS to slot_b and NG/ MtG again to slot_a.

Mind you, I went from official 17.1 to unofficial 18.1 without any problems. So the above should also work for 17.1 to 18.1 official.

Edited by DieBruine
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, ivoanjo said:

Update: First big disappointment -- it looks like FinQwerty **does not** work on LineageOS 😞

I used U.S. Intl. with dead keys and thus the built-in layouts in LineageOS are quite limited. Really sad...

Did you try LineageOS with its US Intl. setting for the physical keyboard?

2 hours ago, ivoanjo said:

Update: First big disappointment -- it looks like FinQwerty **does not** work on LineageOS 😞

I used U.S. Intl. with dead keys and thus the built-in layouts in LineageOS are quite limited. Really sad...

Yeah, that is a pity. I have been talking about this earlier. Currently I cannot write @ symbol with QWERTZ using Finnish layout. It is possible to modify KCM file with root but it is a quite hassle.

Anyway I upgraded from official LOS 17.1 to 18.1 without issues (dirty flash). Just downloaded the files to my se card and flashed them vie LOS recovery. No need for PC and ADB access. Recovery will be updated automatically when you flash LOS 18.1.

1. Place the files to sd card
  2. Reboot to LOS recovery
  3. Click Apply Update, then Apply from sd card and select LOS zip
  4. Wait until flashing is finished (status 2/2)
  5. For MindTheGapps: click Advanced, then Reboot to Recovery (to change slot), then when your device reboots, click Apply Update, then Apply from sd card and select GAPPS zip
  6. Once you have installed everything successfully, click the back arrow in the top left of the screen, then “Reboot system now”.
Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Thanks 3
1 minute ago, FlyingAntero said:

Yeah, that is a pity. I have been talking about this earlier. Currently I cannot write @ symbol with QWERTZ using Finnish layout. It is possible to modify KCM file with root but it is quite hassle.

I tried it with root as well, but none of my changes would stick (I opened a separate thread for discussion of it). TBH at this point I don't really mind having to do something weird, as long as it works lol.

7 minutes ago, ivoanjo said:

I tried it with root as well, but none of my changes would stick (I opened a separate thread for discussion of it). TBH at this point I don't really mind having to do something weird, as long as it works lol.

You need to change ALPHA => FULL. Then you are able to make changes. Of course you will lose some features (like long press menu).

This should do the trick.

adb push Builtin_Keyboard_MODIFIED.kcm /sdcard/Download/
adb shell
su
mount -o remount,rw /vendor
cp /vendor/usr/keychars/Builtin_Keyboard.kcm /sdcard/Download/Builtin_Keyboard_ORIGINAL.kcm
cp /sdcard/Download/Builtin_Keyboard_MODIFIED.kcm /vendor/usr/keychars/Builtin_Keyboard.kcm
chmod 644 /vendor/usr/keychars/Builtin_Keyboard.kcm
reboot

Edit: Example https://pastebin.com/795Puukx

Edited by FlyingAntero

Does not seem to work. As an experiment, I just changed the existing file to see if it worked:

type FULL

key A {
    label:           'A'
    base:            'x'
    shift, capslock: 'X'
}

Nothing happened. I still get a and A when I type 😞

I've also tried having a file in /data/system/devices/keychars/ instead of changing /vendor/usr/keychars/ but nothing happens as well...

1 hour ago, ivoanjo said:
1 hour ago, Rob. S. said:

Did you try LineageOS with its US Intl. setting for the physical keyboard?

I did. Nothing seemed to change. None of the built-in layouts seem to do anything.

With LineageOS 17.1 and physical keyboard set to US Intl., I can use Sym + ' and then e to get é. Or Sym + " and then a to get ä. No root here.

Edited by Rob. S.