PRO¹-X: Two step camera button or single step camera button?

I got my PRO¹-x today.

One thing I tried to do was pressing the buttons to get a feel and opening/closing the keyboard (they nailed the open/closing as many have reported!!!)

However, the photo button feels single step and not double-step. Is this how PRO¹-X is supposed to be?

1 hour ago, brunoais said:

I got my PRO¹-x today.

One thing I tried to do was pressing the buttons to get a feel and opening/closing the keyboard (they nailed the open/closing as many have reported!!!)

However, the photo button feels single step and not double-step. Is this how PRO¹-X is supposed to be?

On the Pro1 it got two steps BUT you can not feel the half-pressed, you will have to rely on visual feedback from the photo app. OpenCamera e.g. gives a square frame.

• Thanks 1

As I see what goes on on the screen, the button seems to have two connections and an open state in between.
That is unpressed it obvously is in the 'unpressed' state
And as soon as your finger press releases it from its 'unpressed' state, you are in the 'half pressed' state.
And pressing it fully unsurpringly gives the 'pressed' state,

That is, as there is no middle 'point' creating a contact, there is no felt feedback reaching it.

Just for the record, my Pro1 has a clearly felt two-step behaviour in the shutter release button. When I press it until there is a substantial resistance, the camera focuses, and then I need to apply more pressure to take the shot.

• Thanks 3

The -X has a single stage button, I suppose the specs page needs updated. Can confirm the on the original pro1 first stage is rather devoid of tactility, works for me though.

Edited by netman
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, netman said:

The -X has a single stage button, I suppose the specs page needs updated. Can confirm the on the original pro1 first stage is rather devoid of tactility, works for me though.

Interesting that there should be a difference there, Note that not all camera apps support the half way click. But yes it work, it just takes some getting used to that when the button is pressed slightly and is thus 'free' betweens its in and out position, it is in the 'halfpressed' state. I have seen some compact cameras working in the exact same way.

• Thanks 1

I haven't ventured outside yet to experiment with the camera, but the camera button has me pretty confused. Unlike double-pressing the power button, which just opens the camera app, pressing the camera button launches the app and then snaps a picture automatically.

I never owned the original Pro1, so I'm not sure what this 2-stage thing is.

• Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, JECE said:

I never owned the original Pro1, so I'm not sure what this 2-stage thing is.

Basically this is the behaviour what some digital cameras or even Nokia N900 did.
So pressing it half-way, it prepares for taking a photo (setting focus for example), then it takes a photo when fully pressed.

This functionality has worked on Pro1 using its native camera app but mostly not using 3rd-party apps.
Basically I have not really used that button, mostly because there is no official silicone rubber for its back and there is no bump for this button on the one which I currently using and which was made for a different phone.
However, it is not really easy to feel these two stages on Pro1.

So first stage is focusing and second stage is taking a photo.

• Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Basically this is the behaviour what some digital cameras or even Nokia N900 did.
So pressing it half-way, it prepares for taking a photo (setting focus for example), then it takes a photo when fully pressed.

Oh, nice. I know exactly what you're talking about. I haven't tested that yet. It seems like the behaviour that I described (about how the camera both launches and snaps a pictures) is something else entirely?

15 minutes ago, JECE said:

Oh, nice. I know exactly what you're talking about. I haven't tested that yet. It seems like the behaviour that I described (about how the camera both launches and snaps a pictures) is something else entirely?

Basically it should start camera application on pressing camera button which is a default behaviour, I am receiving a popup on my Pro1 to select which camera app to start (that is a non-default behaviour).

Half-pressing only works properly using stock camera app as others are not prepared for two-stage camera buttons.
It may also happen Pro1-X does not have a modified camera app which handles this button properly, but otherwise I don't use stock application on my Pro1 as it was not really stable - for that, a 3rd-party camera app takes several times better photos, but Pro1-X has a different, higher-resolution camera sensor.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:
4 hours ago, VaZso said:

Half-pressing only works properly using stock camera app as others are not prepared for two-stage camera buttons.

(OpenCamera supports it too, but obciously this is Pro1 and not Pro1X)

On the Pro1, so does 'Manual Camera'.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, PoongZY said:

Costing?They might just redesign the stuff when chip change, and cut corners to save cost

Anyway, two-stage button of Pro1 was not perfect, it has caused some complaints.
Maybe they have thought if it can not be designed easily to be better, then a one-stage button is enough....