DIY battery replacement options?

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drum roll, please.....🥁 Meet Peaseley (one of my daughters named him). Last photo is my original Pro1 next to the stack of new batteries.  Looks like a match.🔋

@MonCon, Peaseley thanks you for your well wishes.  Considering all he's been through, I think he is doing quite well.  Here he is post sew-up. As you can see, he has managed to ke

You are right. DHL costs 90 USD, EMS 70 USD and air mail 40 USD shipping fee. Still a lot for a very shady process. Also, my packaging only seems to weigh 100g (it's listed as 700g in total). I don

Posted Images

14 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Funny... they want 90USD shipping fee from me for shipping to Germany. I will try to refund my 20 USD.

Wauv! That was a hefty charge!! MAYBE it includes tax? I entered a Danish VAT number, so maybe (just maybe) I'm going to be charged the VAT that way, and if so I at the least will not get the extra handling fee slapped on top. So it will 'only' be around $72 in total.
NOTE that I chose "Air mail" and allowed them to remove extra packing , and that have 'reduced' the weight to 600g.
You CAN change the shipping method, and most likely also select that they should remove the packaging.

• Like 1

You are right. DHL costs 90 USD, EMS 70 USD and air mail 40 USD shipping fee. Still a lot for a very shady process.

Also, my packaging only seems to weigh 100g (it's listed as 700g in total). I don't want to be missing out on my stuffed animal!

If I were ordering illegal drugs online, this would be how I'd imagine it to be delivered.
Screenshot_20231204-092741_Kiwi_Browser_1.thumb.png.4e46811fffc487f04d60f8693d86472f.png

• Haha 5
13 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Also, my packaging only seems to weigh 100g (it's listed as 700g in total). I don't want to be missing out on my stuffed animal!

...And you got photos, I did not.
But yeah it seems like stripping the packaging will only save me a few $, had I known, I would not have requested this,...

That's what I don't like about this site. You don't know what you pay, you don't know what you get. If it wasn't possible to pay with PayPal, I wouldn't even be sure IF I got it.
Refund doesn't seem to be an option either. I requested it, they changed the shipping method and now I can't request it anymore.

I ended up paying the 36 USD for air mail which totals to about 60 USD in total. For five batteries, that's okay. It makes sense to order a big quantity next time and maybe resell it over ebay.

But first let's try if those batteries are actually any useful.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

....which totals to about 60 USD in total.

And most likely we will be slapped by customs and a $30 'handling fee' for the customs not being handled correctly, so you will likely end at around $100

• 1 month later...
On 12/5/2023 at 4:10 PM, EskeRahn said:

And most likely we will be slapped by customs and a $30 'handling fee' for the customs not being handled correctly, so you will likely end at around $100

I have not heard a thing since the tracking marked it as

"2023-12-05 06:19

The shipment item has left the country of the sender

"

57 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I have not heard a thing since the tracking marked it as

"2023-12-05 06:19

The shipment item has left the country of the sender

"

😞

It wold be good to find a suitable source of a similar replacement battery which actually arrives...

• Like 1

I'm very sorry to hear that! I've received my five ordered batteries around two or three weeks ago and they seem to be intact. They are exactly the same size as the FxTec battery so they are the right ones.

I haven't found time to replace the battery yet though.

• Thanks 4

I have had NUMEROUS mails with Parcelup, and they keep asking me to contact the local delivery, and the local delivery says the parcel has not even reached Denmark yet - so in a bit of a limbo...

A lot of time wasted on such a fairly cheap parcel - despite the heavy shipping surcharge.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • 1 month later...
On 6/9/2023 at 11:38 AM, Casey said:

FYI, we do have batteries for Pro1 in stock and can ship out immediately if ordered

Do you still have?

For my po1x I got this 2250mah twix deal
https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005005043077240.html?sku_id=12000031429438778
short circuited it a few too many times while removing and attaching the boards, and at least once to the phone housing cause I forgot the isolation, but somehow it survived and seems to be working fine. I'm going to torture it with fast charging see how long it lasts for me.

Sidenotes:
- Bunch of ribbon cables under the battery, I almost destroyed one while prying it off, some real tough glue there.
- My bottom speaker always worked intermittently, and especially at lower volume levels, turned out it had this sticker on it that was misaligned and partially covered the membrane, easy fix.

photo_2024-03-06_22-35-07.jpg

photo_2024-03-06_22-35-05.jpg

photo_2024-03-07_20-42-50.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
  • 3 weeks later...
On 1/27/2024 at 10:14 AM, SchattengestaIt said:

I'm very sorry to hear that! I've received my five ordered batteries around two or three weeks ago and they seem to be intact. They are exactly the same size as the FxTec battery so they are the right ones.

I'd buy one cell from you if you'd be interested. I would try it out on my Pro1-battery, and I do have a spot-welder to replace the BMS board the way it's meant to be done. 🙂

On 1/27/2024 at 3:14 AM, SchattengestaIt said:

I might have missed some messages here.  Are you saying the batteries also have the correct connector, or are just the right physical size and capacity?

Have you managed to get them working in a pro1x yet?  Or are these for the pro1?

On 3/7/2024 at 11:18 AM, nshan said:

For my po1x I got this 2250mah twix deal
https://aliexpress.ru/item/1005005043077240.html?sku_id=12000031429438778
short circuited it a few too many times while removing and attaching the boards, and at least once to the phone housing cause I forgot the isolation, but somehow it survived and seems to be working fine. I'm going to torture it with fast charging see how long it lasts for me.

Sidenotes:
- Bunch of ribbon cables under the battery, I almost destroyed one while prying it off, some real tough glue there.
- My bottom speaker always worked intermittently, and especially at lower volume levels, turned out it had this sticker on it that was misaligned and partially covered the membrane, easy fix.

photo_2024-03-06_22-35-07.jpg

photo_2024-03-06_22-35-05.jpg

photo_2024-03-07_20-42-50.jpg

Wow, this looks like you found/built the holy grail we have all been looking for.  Did you take that board off your pro1x battery or did you get it somewhere else?

How is it working for you now?

It would be great if you could explain what you connected to what, and more details about the isolation issues.

7 hours ago, david said:

I might have missed some messages here.  Are you saying the batteries also have the correct connector, or are just the right physical size and capacity?

Have you managed to get them working in a pro1x yet?  Or are these for the pro1?

They are just bare cells without the BMS PCB and connector to the Pro1. you would need to transfer them from your original board to make them fit.

I am very sure that the cell´s sizes are identical to the pro1 and the pro1x, so those cells could be used on either of them as long as you transfer the respective board from your old battery. keep in mind that this is not really a rookie-job and you can easily mess up things, nshans way looks not very durable. But sure, for a Proof of concept it might be just fine. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, david said:

Wow, this looks like you found/built the holy grail we have all been looking for.  Did you take that board off your pro1x battery or did you get it somewhere else?

How is it working for you now?

It would be great if you could explain what you connected to what, and more details about the isolation issues.

I wouldn't say holy, more like cheapskate emergency grail, since it's a whole amp hour less than the original, and requires a lot of elbow grease to replace.

Yes, I took the board off the original battery, it was soldered so came out clean. The replacement was similarly attached to its own board, but I ended up physically breaking it off by repeatedly folding the tabs, which I guess made them a bit shorter. If you are better than me with a soldering iron, or maybe use a heat gun you should be able to de-solder those as well, and that will give you a better surface to work with. They of course didn't align with pro1x's board so had to solder those "horns" from the first photo onto them, and add that extra insulation in the middle, so that they don't touch the components on the board once folded, since you need to fold it down to fit it in. Otherwise just replaced the outer insulation that was already there. I was going to take photos of all that, but got carried away and ended with just those two 😄

It's working well so far for my use cases, usually just fast charge it once a day or twice if I'm doing something heavy for a long period of time, which in my case is either a game or ffmpeg. It's noticeably less than the original, but usable, pretty much as you would expect. I haven't dropped it yet, so durability is in question, though in general I guess it would depend on your own hacking skillz.

Edited by nshan
Didn't know how to reply, just quote I guess.
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

Since I paid around 75€ for five cells (including import fees), I can offer to sell the battery cells for 15€ each.
If you want to wait about one month, I might have switched the phone to my self-built model, then I can test out if switching the circuit works out without problems.

4 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Since I paid around 75€ for five cells (including import fees), I can offer to sell the battery cells for 15€ each.
If you want to wait about one month, I might have switched the phone to my self-built model, then I can test out if switching the circuit works out without problems.

I'd happily take one. DM me Please.

9 hours ago, Noir said:

They are just bare cells without the BMS PCB and connector to the Pro1. you would need to transfer them from your original board to make them fit.

I am very sure that the cell´s sizes are identical to the pro1 and the pro1x, so those cells could be used on either of them as long as you transfer the respective board from your old battery. keep in mind that this is not really a rookie-job and you can easily mess up things, nshans way looks not very durable. But sure, for a Proof of concept it might be just fine. 

Nshan's batteries are lower capacity than the original.  Are @SchattengestaIt's batteries lower capacity too?

4 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Is this the link you ordered them from?

https://parcelup.com/shop/item.php?id=664752226102

9 hours ago, nshan said:

I wouldn't say holy, more like cheapskate emergency grail, since it's a whole amp hour less than the original, and requires a lot of elbow grease to replace.

Yes, I took the board off the original battery, it was soldered so came out clean. The replacement was similarly attached to its own board, but I ended up physically breaking it off by repeatedly folding the tabs, which I guess made them a bit shorter. If you are better than me with a soldering iron, or maybe use a heat gun you should be able to de-solder those as well, and that will give you a better surface to work with. They of course didn't align with pro1x's board so had to solder those "horns" from the first photo onto them, and add that extra insulation in the middle, so that they don't touch the components on the board once folded, since you need to fold it down to fit it in. Otherwise just replaced the outer insulation that was already there. I was going to take photos of all that, but got carried away and ended with just those two 😄

It's working well so far for my use cases, usually just fast charge it once a day or twice if I'm doing something heavy for a long period of time, which in my case is either a game or ffmpeg. It's noticeably less than the original, but usable, pretty much as you would expect. I haven't dropped it yet, so durability is in question, though in general I guess it would depend on your own hacking skillz.

Hey, if it works, then you succeeded.  Good job!

Thanks for explaining.

If we could find a source for the pro1x battery board and connector, we'd be all set.  This would allow making up batteries without risking taking the board off/on multiple times.  Although, I am guessing taking it off a hacked battery than off an original would be easier.  It would still be great to have a handful of batteries with connectors that could be charged every X months on an external charger.  With a number of replacement batteries and maybe an extra phone for spare parts, and some extra screens, some of us might be able to keep using keyboard phones until we move on to the great bit bucket in the sky.   

I am guessing we'll start getting limitations in apps that won't work on android 11 at some point.  But maybe people still alive will keep up with lineageos for the phone.  We might hit some cpu and bottlenecks in a decade or three though.  Maybe AI can make a custom keyboard phone for us by then.  😂

Has anyone tried a board from a battery with the same connector?  I believe I figured out the connector type (or had an educated guess) in a previous post (either in this thread or another).  I definitely found the right connector type for the pro1. 

Hmm, now that I think about it, I also found a cheap battery that I could plug into the pro1.  It wasn't the right size/shape to fit with the phone reassembled, but maybe the battery board could be taken off those batteries and put on these closer-to-original batteries we are discussing, for use in the pro1.

If someone could verify the connector type for the pro1x, that would help.  I haven't taken my pro1x apart yet, so can't verify it.

4 hours ago, david said:

Is this the link you ordered them from?

https://parcelup.com/shop/item.php?id=664752226102

Yes, exactly. Sadly, they don't tell you about shipping cost. So you'll have to pay for the batteries in the first step, then you pay 60-100€ shipping fees and then you pay additional import fees. So it's a good idea to order many batteries to either resell them or use them in the next years. The battery cells themselves are super cheap.
I ended up paying around 75€ for five cells which is alright. Especially considering that a new battery from Pro1 (1 piece) costs 130€ with shipping fees.

@EskeRahn also had problems with delivery and I think he refunded the order since he never received the package.

Battery data:
The dimensions are exactly identical and the website claims it's 3150mAh which would make them a good replacement. You'll have to remove the battery circuitry from your old battery and solder/spotweld it to your new battery cell. As I mentioned before, I'll finally test that in the next 2-4 weeks when I sucessfully switched to my new self-made phone.

• Thanks 1
20 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

I'll finally test that in the next 2-4 weeks when I sucessfully switched to my new self-made phone.

Self made phone??