DIY battery replacement options?

8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I wonder if that counts as "installed in", or this was actually smuggled in...

I was thinking the same thing.  It might be to make it look like they are installed in something, since that is a key requirement for shipping lithium ion/polymer batteries with some shippers.

8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I guess that if similar was done with mine, they might have been confiscated in customs here as an attempt to smuggle them in. If so a bit odd I have not been contacted by the police. Could also be that some just stole the doll hoping it to contain some drugs.... I mean at an x-ray it might look like some bars of drugs?

They did have the lithium ion batteries sticker on the outside of the box.  I don't know how difficult it is to determine they are batteries on an x-ray. 

I would guess they would open it up if they thought it was something illegal.  They would hopefully see it was not and then forward it on to you? 

The stealing concept might hinge on the percentage of Danish customs officials who are drug users or sellers?  Time for another cartoon??  🤣

Edited by david
  • Haha 1
  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Drum roll, please.....🥁 Meet Peaseley (one of my daughters named him). Last photo is my original Pro1 next to the stack of new batteries.  Looks like a match.🔋

@MonCon, Peaseley thanks you for your well wishes.  Considering all he's been through, I think he is doing quite well.  Here he is post sew-up. As you can see, he has managed to ke

You are right. DHL costs 90 USD, EMS 70 USD and air mail 40 USD shipping fee. Still a lot for a very shady process. Also, my packaging only seems to weigh 100g (it's listed as 700g in total). I don

Posted Images

@david

How's Mr Peaseley doing?  
He's done a grand job, but it must have been quite an ordeal for the little fella.  
I hope he is all sewn up and on the mend.  
Get well soon Mr Peaseley.  
Xxxx

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, MonCon said:

@david

How's Mr Peaseley doing?  
He's done a grand job, but it must have been quite an ordeal for the little fella.  
I hope he is all sewn up and on the mend.  
Get well soon Mr Peaseley.  
Xxxx

@MonCon,

Peaseley thanks you for your well wishes.  Considering all he's been through, I think he is doing quite well.  Here he is post sew-up.

PXL_20240406_163259987.thumb.jpg.0d530d514ec64d518eb3d4e05a7557e1.jpg

PXL_20240406_163312781.thumb.jpg.e0cfb8f71deff1918393852f176601c4.jpg

As you can see, he has managed to keep his cheerful disposition through it all.  He is currently resting, and helping himself to quite a few Easter treats.  He's a bit self conscious about it, so no photos of the feasting (yet).  

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

In related news, I measured the voltage of each of the 10 batteries.  They were almost all identical.  They ranged from 3.83 volts to 3.85 volts.  I'll guess that at roughly 70+% of capacity, going off some online curves for LiPo batteries and some readings from the AccuBattery app for the (estimated 91% of new capacity) battery in my Pro1 X.

I plan to set a calendar reminder to charge them back up to about that level every half a year or so.  I'll document that process when I get some equipment I've ordered.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, david said:

In related news, I measured the voltage of each of the 10 batteries.  They were almost all identical.  They ranged from 3.83 volts to 3.85 volts.  I'll guess that at roughly 70+% of capacity, going off some online curves for LiPo batteries and some readings from the AccuBattery app for the (estimated 91% of new capacity) battery in my Pro1 X.

I plan to set a calendar reminder to charge them back up to about that level every half a year or so.  I'll document that process when I get some equipment I've ordered.

I forgot to add this, for anyone else who gets these exact same batteries:  The positive tab is the one on the left, as you are looking at the side of the battery with the printing on it, and the tabs facing up.  It has also been extended at the factory, so the positive tab is longer than the negative tab.  I'll add a photo later.

• Like 2
13 hours ago, david said:

I forgot to add this, for anyone else who gets these exact same batteries:  The positive tab is the one on the left, as you are looking at the side of the battery with the printing on it, and the tabs facing up.  It has also been extended at the factory, so the positive tab is longer than the negative tab.  I'll add a photo later.

Here is a photo showing the longer, positive tab on the left.

502364282_PXL_20240407_1316156062.thumb.jpg.31bbb69e18b541fd09f7b1e5c7f604e5.jpg

• Thanks 2

A little more hackery and results regarding the batteries...

Note/Reminder:  We are dealing with raw LiPo batteries (no built in battery management system (BMS) protection circuit).  These are a dense source of energy.  Fires, explosions, and toxic fumes are possible.  Don't cross the streams!  (don't short circuit the positive and negative tabs on the batteries)

I ordered an Adafruit Feather HUZZAH (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2821).  This can run off a 3.7/4.2 volt LiPo battery, like our phones do.  And, more importantly, it has a smart charging circuit, so it can charge the battery up to 4.2 volts in a way that is proper for LiPo batteries.  It does this when plugged into a USB charger.  It has overcharge protection and stops charging when it gets up to full capacity.  It also has undercharge protection, where if you use a battery to power the board, without plugging in a USB charger, it will shut down the board when the battery gets to 3.2 volts, so that the battery isn't over depleted.  The board charges at a max of 100mA, so it is an ultra slow charger (and extra kind to the batteries).  You can sort of think of the board as a battery management system (BMS) without the over temperature protection.

There are a lot of LiPo charge/discharge devices out there, similar to the following: https://www.amazon.com/Tenergy-Balance-Charger-Discharger-Connectors/dp/B00466PKE0.  Those can charge and discharge faster and can be used with a wider variety of battery chemistries.  I may want to play with the microcontroller board for other projects, so that was one reason I chose it.

I didn't take the time to solder alligator clips onto the wires that I bought with the board (https://www.adafruit.com/product/261) yet.  That made it a little tricky to get things hooked up.  The 26 gauge wires are a pain to work with too.

After getting the wires connected to the battery, I plugged in the connector to the board to power it on, and then plugged in the USB charger.

PXL_20240408_163306381.thumb.jpg.df0377591017f4f0c3bb17d165cc7301.jpg

Here is a close-up of the board:

PXL_20240408_163319148.thumb.jpg.60ec373899d7eb1023de668cca460e2e.jpg

And after some time has passed, you can see the voltage has gone up from 3.87 to 3.94.

PXL_20240408_172511798.thumb.jpg.5947d1843c1ea6f1621253e988d7c0f4.jpg

Continued in the next post.

Edited by david
  • Like 2

Continued from previous post...

Voltage up to 4.02.

PXL_20240408_185023789.thumb.jpg.61136cf503bed72ebba5b3db03c7ad63.jpg

And finally reaching 4.19. 

PXL_20240408_232604520.thumb.jpg.ab4be4a94fc355f6652e9a0ca47260fb.jpg

After being at 4.19, the board continues to run, but the charge light goes out.   I think when the light is out, it might still be trickle charging to the battery, with constant voltage and lowered current.  I say this, because the reported voltage on the voltmeter was still 4.19, yet when I unplug the USB charger from the wall, I get this drop to 4.17 volts.  It is also possible that drop is simply from the load of the board on the battery.

PXL_20240408_233134914.thumb.jpg.1fd68995dfdc8072a293e952c6043720.jpg

Either way, it shows that the battery is able to be charged to pretty much the full capacity of 4.2 volts, which was the point of the exercise.  I'll use this board to bring the batteries back to 3.8 volts every half a year.

I'm currently running the board off the battery to get it back down to 3.8 volts and to see how long that takes. 

My next step might be to move a BMS board from an MI 6 battery to this one and see if I can power my Pro1.  I have some other projects to attend to, so that might not happen for a while.

Edited by david
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 3 months later...

Current info for anyone else following this thread for battery replacement info:

I contacted Fxtec through this form https://www.fxtec.com/contact-us about getting a replacement battery. They just got back to me and said that they have no more replacement parts available.

(They didn't mention if this was temporary or permanent. But, at the very least, it's going to be hard to come by official batteries for now.)

My battery has started swelling, so I will probably have to dig back through this thread to figure out which 3rd party battery is "close enough" and then do the soldering necessary to adapt it to my phone...

(I am really thankful to everyone who shares knowledge about this stuff! Thank you!)

• Like 2