LineageOS 21.0 Official Release for Pro1-X (QX1050)

• TeZtdevice changed the title to LineageOS 21.0 Official Release for Pro1-X (QX1050)

WARNING!  This link above:

Official Release: https://download.lineageos.org/devices/pro1x/builds

Takes you to the Pro-1 builds:  https://download.lineageos.org/devices/pro1/builds

You want to go to here:  https://download.lineageos.org/devices/pro1x/builds

The Upgrade 20-21 instructions linked above worked perfectly -- thanks for creating them!

Note that I use a Raspberry Pi4 for ADB.  Got tired of fighting with Windows 10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Still on the road, but I updated as a dirty flash using the method @FlyingAntero gave for the Pro1 HERE.  I also flashed (using the flash-as-a-zip method because all I care about is SU) Magisk 27.  All is good.  Update was successful, and I have root.

So I now have the Feb 15th nightly.  What is curious is that the Feb 19 update, mentioned above, doesn't sow up either on the Lineage download page or the updater on my Pro1x, however, while on Lineage 20, days ago, I did get a notification of the Feb 19 update to Lineage 21.1.  Did they withdraw it for some reason?

Whatever the case, My Pro1x in now on Lineage 21 and I have root.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, whatever the case with the Feb 19th update...

Lineage-21-20240226-NIGHTLY-pro1x with Feb 5th security patch installed smoothly via OTA. MindTheGapps14, and root was maintained.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Lineage-21-20240304-NIGHTLY-pro1x with Feb 5th security patch installed smoothly via OTA. MindTheGapps14, and root was maintained.

• Like 3

I have updated my Pro1 X to official LineageOS 21 with root.

My only problem with the update is that my keyboard mapping seems to have changed slightly. On LOS 20, my key mappings matched what was printed on the physical keys. Now they more closely match a standard en-US keyboard: I get a semicolon (;) where the key says question mark (?), I get a question mark where the key says pipe (|), and I cannot get a pipe at all. This severely limits the functionality of terminal emulators such as Termux, which I use regularly. Does anyone know of a fix for this issue?

42 minutes ago, jsreed5 said:

I have updated my Pro1 X to official LineageOS 21 with root.

My only problem with the update is that my keyboard mapping seems to have changed slightly. On LOS 20, my key mappings matched what was printed on the physical keys. Now they more closely match a standard en-US keyboard: I get a semicolon (;) where the key says question mark (?), I get a question mark where the key says pipe (|), and I cannot get a pipe at all. This severely limits the functionality of terminal emulators such as Termux, which I use regularly. Does anyone know of a fix for this issue?

Switch the Physical Keyboard language in Settings/System/Keyboard/Physical Keyboard/Builtin Keyboard from "English (US)" to "F(x)Tec QWERTY"

That will match the prints rather than more standard key assignments. Since I don't do anything Linuxy on the phone, I prefer the English (US ) exactly because I expect the question mark to be shift-forward slash and ; to be on the same key as :  ;)

• Like 4
9 hours ago, Hook said:

Switch the Physical Keyboard language in Settings/System/Keyboard/Physical Keyboard/Builtin Keyboard from "English (US)" to "F(x)Tec QWERTY"

Thank you, this is exactly what I needed! I didn't realize I had to tap into the "English (US)" option to get different keyboard layouts.

6 hours ago, Motoman said:

Anyone have any idea if switching from Android to Lineage would aid in the Verizon connection issue?

AFAIK The problem originally wasn't in the phone end, so the OS would not matter. And to make it worse some carriers are switching to 5G, not supported by Pro1/Pro1X.

Some carriers only allow phones in they explicitly whitelist. To some extent a mule device have worked in tricking a carrier into allowing it in, but that trick worked better with 3G than 4G.

At the baseline, it would require the carrier to allow it in, and the bands to be compatible. At some point FxTec told they had contact with a US carrier (I forgot if it was Verizon). But I have no idea why that did not end in a whitelisting.

We got threads on the US-carriers issue somewhere in here.... Try a search for Verizon.

13 hours ago, Motoman said:

Anyone have any idea if switching from Android to Lineage would aid in the Verizon connection issue?

Verizon is hit or miss.  Some people have it working fine, Others have trouble.  The OS won't make a difference, I have seen peple reporting that they get a notification from Verizon that the phone is unsupported, but so far not much evidence that there is any enforcement yet,  When i had my Verizon SIM in my Pro 1, ages ago, it worked for a few months and then SMS broke. I gave up. I now use Ting in my Pro1x (which is T-Mobile). 

Here is the long Verizon thread:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2133-fxtec-on-verizon

• Thanks 2

Thanks...yeah when I asked FXTec about it before ordering, they said Verizon would work if you just swapped a SIM from a working phone.  Which...doesn't work.  Then several times over the last 1.5 years or so Francisco has variously said the issue would be fixed with a software update, or at one point saying the antenna would be replaced...which he later said he never said, but I kept the receipts on 😄

At any rate...say I was desperate enough to try to use a different carrier, like T-Mo or AT&T (which just don't have coverage as good as Verizon where I live, but probably work ok)...  Android 11 is already really old.  If I switched to the latest Lineage to get up-to-date software-wise, what are the implications there in terms of using apps from the Play store?  I would need to be able to use certain apps for work...such as an Okta app for 2FA for corporate assets for example...

8 hours ago, Motoman said:

Thanks...yeah when I asked FXTec about it before ordering, they said Verizon would work if you just swapped a SIM from a working phone.  Which...doesn't work.  Then several times over the last 1.5 years or so Francisco has variously said the issue would be fixed with a software update, or at one point saying the antenna would be replaced...which he later said he never said, but I kept the receipts on 😄

At any rate...say I was desperate enough to try to use a different carrier, like T-Mo or AT&T (which just don't have coverage as good as Verizon where I live, but probably work ok)...  Android 11 is already really old.  If I switched to the latest Lineage to get up-to-date software-wise, what are the implications there in terms of using apps from the Play store?  I would need to be able to use certain apps for work...such as an Okta app for 2FA for corporate assets for example...

AT&T are pretty much out of the question.  They are now the most aggressive white-listers and they will boot you.  As I said before, people have gotten Verizon working, but, yes it has to be a SIM muled in a Verizon phone approved for ViLTE on their network, and then moved to the Pro1x.  T-Mobile and their MVNOs are the only ones in the US that just work,

Moving to Lineage still gets you the play store, using MineTheGapps 14 (see the begining of this thread).  Other security intensive apps, I don't know.  Depends on if they detect the unlocked boor-loader state (chances are, your bootloader is already unlocked, but it has to be unlocked for Lineage).  Someone else will have to pipe in.  I don't use banking apps on Lineage, that is what my unrooted Moto slab is for.  I do use Magisk and it has some modules that help, I think, but I only use Magisk for SU.  I don't use any modules.

Hopefully someone else more familiar with your needs will pipe up here.

• Thanks 2

I just updated to LOS 21, thank you for the instructions on the LOS wiki page.

Boot time is the same or better than version 20, about 25 seconds from cold, so the 3 minute comment is not my experience.

i flashed Magisk by downloading the v.27 .apk and changing the extension to .zip, and then sideloading that with adb. That is the deprecated install method, but I believe @Hook said that is what preserves root after OTA updates, so I did that, no problems, we shall see if root is preserved on the next OTA.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Name_not_avail said:

I just updated to LOS 21, thank you for the instructions on the LOS wiki page.

Boot time is the same or better than version 20, about 25 seconds from cold, so the 3 minute comment is not my experience.

i flashed Magisk by downloading the v.27 .apk and changing the extension to .zip, and then sideloading that with adb. That is the deprecated install method, but I believe @Hook said that is what preserves root after OTA updates, so I did that, no problems, we shall see if root is preserved on the next OTA.

Probably either method preserves root after OTA. However, if root is really all you want, the flash-as-zip method is easy and gets the job done without you having to manually do the whole repack the bootloader dance.

• Like 1

For LOS 20, I initially installed Magisk the recommended way, but I would lose root with every OTA while watching you post "I upgraded and kept root and GApps." That was annoying!

After I did the sideload trick, I no longer lost root with the OTAs. I didn't uninstall Magisk, just sideloaded it over the existing installation.

So I hope that works on v.21 for me now too.

Edited by Name_not_avail
  • Like 1

Lineage-21-20240311-NIGHTLY-pro1x with Feb 5th security patch installed smoothly via OTA. MindTheGapps14, and root was maintained.

• Like 4

Lineage-21-20240318-NIGHTLY-pro1x with Feb 5th security patch installed smoothly via OTA. MindTheGapps14, and root was maintained.

• Like 3
  • 2 weeks later...

It appears there isn't a new nightly this week. That seems also true for the Pro1. They do this occasionally and the list for what is being incorporated for the new update seems pretty long.  I expect we'll see a new update this coming Monday.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1