Keyboard print layouts and functionality

Whoa that was a quick reply. Sorry I had a hard time figuring out how to properly quote a post, here goes.

I use Ctrl-C and Ctrl-V all the time on my Priv :-)

EDIT: I had at some point already made this setting! It is already set to use the right shift key as ctrl. I just forgot it was so... thanks

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Yes I definitely will use that button 🙂

Starting off, I know FR still uses mostly the AZERTY keyboard but who knows if they like this? I'm a Portuguese person who found out about this phone only yesterday. I'm very interested in it and

This is a very interesting suggestion. If the Chinese layout proved to be in a high demand, we would certainly consider it.   In the future perhaps if we can make user to do custom mapping, maybe we

Posted Images

JjyKs, the BB keyboard software have a couple of clever tricks up it sleeves that makes it a bliss to use more than one language. I even have it using English AND Danish at the same time, and it auto detects what language I’m typing, and adjusts the spell-checking and word suggestions, so we often do not even need to request the national letters.

If the techniques are not bound by patents I certainly hope the Pro¹ will be ‘inspired’.

I find it easy to use the Priv's "US" layout for writing Portuguese (primarily), English, German ans Spanish. I usually don't have to 'hunt' for diacritics because of the builtin dictionaries for each language, so speed typing with a Priv comes from a combination of hw keys + autocorrect and word suggestions. Works fine and is quite productive.

Since with the Pro¹, however, keyboard real estate will be increased... it is really a good idea to map the most used diacritics (which will vary with each language) to easily accessible keys. And also keep autocomplete and autocorrect working to achieve maximum efficiency.

• 2 weeks later...
Would appreciate any comments regarding Scandinavian QWERTY from FX. Basically a YES/NO would be enough so I can look elsewhere during the summer.

Thank you.

Would be nice to know indeed.

Remember that the print and the functions does not need to be identical, so we can have e.g. Swedish/Danish/Norwegian/... layout, no matter the print.

If a Scandinavian print is NOT going to be available at launch I will go for the German print, as this is really close to the Swedish (primarily print of Y&Z swapped, and Ü printed on the Å). As a Dane I got an extra Æ&Ø print swap, but I can easily live with that too.

That’s party true. Also the !@[]{}…

I might go with onSreen devices instead. Qwerty is the only feature of this device so that must be perfect.

Is the print on the keys really that important? To me the important thing is that we can have the functionally layout as we please.

I agree that the shifted US print would make it awkward for any language with additional national letters (Either almost all print wrong, or national letters at odd positions).

Personally I primarily write using English layout on a Danish print keyboard on my PC (and has done so since the eighties), so I'm used to the prints not entirely reflecting the functions.

• 1 month later...

Hello guys!

I am a big fan of full-keyboard phones! I have Nokia 9210i, HTC 7 Pro and Planet Computers Gemini PDA. I have also preordered Plant Computers Cosmo Communicator. Now I am looking towards the Pro1. My question is more sotwarewise rather than hardware-related. Most of the younger people in Bulgaria, including me, use US or UK-layout keyboards with software Bulgarian Phonetic input. In this phonetic input every latin letter's sound correpspond to its equivalent sound in Cyrillic alphabet. So I am perfectly fine with US or UK keyboard layout. My question is will the Pro1's firmware / Android version support Bulgarian Phonetic? I am asking that because PlantCom's Gemini doesn't support Bulgarian Phonetic for the physical keyboard; it only supports Bulgarian BDS, which is used by older people from the typewritter's times.

Hello everyone! I scaned this thread and the same with poll but didnt find any plans(only this https://www.fxtec.com/forums/topic/alternative-layouts/page/5/#post-6831, it was 5 months ago, smth may have changed) about russian layout(йцукен). Do u have it? I understand fxtec’s more popular in eu&us than in ru but there are 13% in the poll. Thanx

I think they are so super busy with getting the first waves out in QWERTZ and shifted QWERTY that alternative print layouts won't even be considered before the first wave is rolling out. But I have no idea what prints will come later.

But I have no idea what prints will come later.

I hope it will be relatively easy to change it (by "user") later if, for example, a Hungarian or non-shifted US layout become available. :-)

But I have no idea what prints will come later.

I hope it will be relatively easy to change it (by “user”) later if, for example, a Hungarian or non-shifted US layout become available. :-)

Hope so, if the battery is easy to change, perhaps the keyboard layout is as well? Would switch to scandinavian layout from qwertz if that option would become available at a later date.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a question, I saw the discussion about the yellow arrow keys but I'm not 100% sure, do they function like AltGr key? I was wondering because my country language has special characters and they are some of them are at far right and far left side of the keyboard(AltGr + A and AltGr + L) and just a single AltGr key on phone's keyboard wouldn't work well for setups like that. Is this a function of these yellow arrow keys?

• 4 months later...

Hi community,

I don't have yet the phone, and my apologies for coming back with that. I'm using a QWERTY keyboard all the time, typing different languages, and one is french. I really like the "dead-key" approach, as it allows all combinations for accents. I notices on most keyboard layout the è or È, à or À, ç or Ç are missing. With dead keys it is intuitive to get them.

Do you now it this is implemented on a software or with finQWERTY ?

Thanks !

• Like 1

In fact I most probably didn't get correctly the finQwerty US-international graphic

image.thumb.png.b2cbd987b297e09a1b097451521faeb2.png

Here when a chars is in red background, does it mean dead-key ?

For example, to generate the "À", is it correct ? :

[shift] + [`], then [shift]+[A]  ?

17 minutes ago, Muth said:

In fact I most probably didn't get correctly the finQwerty US-international graphic

It is way easier it is FN+SHIFT+A. Dead keys are inefficient. It uses US International (altgr-intl variant) as primary.
However dead keys are usable to, Á then would be FN+SHIFT+' -> SHIFT+A but I see no reason why this should be preferred.

Please note FN+SHIFT is hard to type, that is why CTRL+FN works too

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
1 minute ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

It is way easier it is FN+SHIFT+A. Dead keys are inefficient. It uses Us-Int_AltrG as primary.
However dead keys are usable to, Á then would be FN+SHIFT+' -> SHIFT+A but I see no reason why this should be preferred.

Please note FN+SHIFT is hard to type, that is why CTRL+FN works too

The thing is, in french, Á doesn't exists, but À is. Same story for the e with accents. è is different from é (sound and orthographic). This is the reason why I prefer dead keys.

For example "I prefer" in french is "Je préfère".

• Thanks 1
15 minutes ago, Muth said:

The thing is, in french, Á doesn't exists, but À is. Same story for the e with accents. è is different from é (sound and orthographic). This is the reason why I prefer dead keys.

For example "I prefer" in french is "Je préfère".

Luckily I only had like 8 years of French in school, so I couldn't know that one 😄
Nay I just thought they are also on the US-Int keyboard. However it is as said possible to insert them on the phone:

key: ' (apostrophe)
shift+key: " (quotation mark)
fn+key: ´ (combining acute accent)
fn+shift+key: ¨ (combining diaeresis)
fn+ctrl+key: ¨ (combining diaeresis)
alt+key: " (quotation mark)

There is also a combining backtick at the tilde sign.
Have a look here:
https://github.com/anssih/finqwerty/issues/2

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Thanks 1
36 minutes ago, Muth said:

The white and grey background means normal respectively combining (aka 'dead') key matching the print, and what the stock driver gives.
The light&dark red is the same, but NOT matching what is printed on the keyboard, but what FinQwerty offers.

1 minute ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Luckily I only had like 8 years of French in school, so I couldn't know that one 😄
Nay I just thought they are also on the US-Int keyboard. However it is as said possible to insert them on the phone:

key: ' (apostrophe)
shift+key: " (quotation mark)
fn+key: ´ (combining acute accent)
fn+shift+key: ¨ (combining diaeresis)
fn+ctrl+key: ¨ (combining diaeresis)
alt+key: " (quotation mark)

There is also a combining backtick at the tilde sign

Exactly, that was my worry, few combinations are missing on the US-int

Ok I see now, I didn't get correctly the meaning of the drawing

shift  fn+shift  alt+shift
base   fn        alt

I was wrong: for "À", the combination seems:  [`] then [shift]+[A], as the key [`] base function seems to be combining accent.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Muth said:

Exactly, that was my worry, few combinations are missing on the US-int

Ok I see now, I didn't get correctly the meaning of the drawing

shift  fn+shift  alt+shift
base   fn        alt

I was wrong: for "À", the combination seems:  [`] then [shift]+[A], as the key [`] base function seems to be combining accent.

Not anymore. Have a look at this issue:
https://github.com/anssih/finqwerty/issues/2
You could also answer there to show another opinion

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The white and grey background means normal respectively combining (aka 'dead') key matching the print, and what the stock driver gives.
The light&dark red is the same, but NOT matching what is printed on the keyboard, but what FinQwerty offers.

Thanks, it is more clear now 🙂

• Like 1