Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

@EskeRahn with the case in the video you just posted, does the magnetic closure tab from the bottom half get in your way of holding / typing at all?  I think I may have bought a similar design for the stock of cases to try.

Also when you were flipping the rotation of the phone inside the form fitting part of the case, did you just move the phone, or did you peel off the hard/silicon part from the "leather" case, flip that and glue it back down?  I recently bought some thin double sided adhesive tape (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N167EZT/) with the intention of flipping the hard/silicon part if that seems like a better fit with any existing cutouts.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

55 minutes ago, KingOfTerrible said:

@EskeRahn with the case in the video you just posted, does the magnetic closure tab from the bottom half get in your way of holding / typing at all?  I think I may have bought a similar design for the stock of cases to try.

Also when you were flipping the rotation of the phone inside the form fitting part of the case, did you just move the phone, or did you peel off the hard/silicon part from the "leather" case, flip that and glue it back down?  I recently bought some thin double sided adhesive tape (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N167EZT/) with the intention of flipping the hard/silicon part if that seems like a better fit with any existing cutouts.

There are two basic types of these cases. One with a long flap (the most common) and one with two short flaps with a magnet each,.

This one is the later type, and it does not reach above the height of the lower part, and thus not in conflict. And anyway it is in the middle where the space-bar is, so even if slightly longer on another models, I do not think it will be an issue.

On the modifications, there are several possibilities
1) The simplest, use it almost as is, with the top cover going to the left the same side as the keyboard, where you would have to flip it under to use.
2) Turn the case as is, and just make holes.
3) Loosen the soft silicone part, and glue it back on rotated.

I tried all three, though gave up the first very quickly. See this for details.

Adhesive tape could be used for 3, but the likelihood of you turning it back would be slim, as the inner case has to be adjusted for the direction used.

I find that one case for Huawei P30 Pro sort of fits. I guess other cases for P30 Pro should fit too. Though you may have to customise the cutouts yourself to access ports, buttons and fingerprint reader. Back camera cutout is just fine.

IMG_20200124_171858.jpg

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Slion said:

I see, so the recommended cases are the ones from Huawei P20 Pro then.

Yes, the length and thickness fits better.

Samsung Note 7 also fits fine, but the camera hole in the back fits worse. But if used up side down, it would not matter much

ADD sizes compared, see e.g. here

(merged your thread in)

• Like 1
30 minutes ago, Tim said:

I guess so. The inner shell should protect it at the missing cover corner near the camera.

One concern though. We are squeezing in a thicker phone, and I see no closing mechanism, so it might not close properly. Cutting away the creditcard pocket might fix that. But it depends on how much slack they have added.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Tim said:

Do you think this case from Amazon would work well?

...These flip cases for e.g. a P20 Pro are a tight fit. Have a look at the current one closed, and if I release the magnet.

So without the magnet you are likely to end up with the second. And note that the card-holder on this one has been removed.

IMG_20200124_225552~01.jpg

IMG_20200124_225539~01.jpg

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

...These flip cases for e.g. a P20 Pro are a tight fit. Have a look at the current one closed, and if I release the magnet.

So without the magnet you are likely to end up with the second. And note that the card-holder on this one has been removed.

This might work fine in a pocket, but not in a bag, and if you drop it, well pray that it does not fly open...

IMG_20200124_225552~01.jpg

IMG_20200124_225539~01.jpg

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I was trying to look for one which does not have a card-holder, too, to try to make more room. Darn.

11 minutes ago, Tim said:

I was trying to look for one which does not have a card-holder, too, to try to make more room. Darn.

No! On the contrary! Look for one WITH a card holder, and remove it, that makes more room 😉 (The two cover 'halves' are designed to be parallel further apart)

I stumbled upon this one (suggested from your link) that has some slide function in it! That might be interesting! The photos does not show the slide that well, but might be useful for us?!? EDIT: It is a magnet at the inner part can be moved. That sounds almost perfect for our usage!! ....Just ordered....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
10 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

No! On the contrary! Look for one WITH a card holder, and remove it, that makes more room 😉 (The two cover 'halves' are designed to be parallel further apart)

I stumbled upon this one (suggested from your link) that has some slide function in it! That might be interesting! The photos does not show the slide that well, but might be useful for us?!? EDIT: It is a magnet at the inner part that can be (re)moved. That sounds almost perfect for our usage!! ....Just ordered....

11 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I stumbled upon this one (suggested from your link) that has some slide function in it! That might be interesting! The photos does not show the slide that well, but might be useful for us?!?

Nice find! Removable wallet, too.

Just now, Tim said:

Nice find! Removable wallet, too.

Yes edited my post after you replied. This means that it will be piece of cake to have it right or left as each user prefer. Or completely removed, and would fit magnetic car holders too, I wil start with one, but might buy more of those.... See they exists in other colours for other models, so a matter of searching I guess.....

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes edited my post after you replied. This means that it will be piece of cake to have it right or left as each user prefer. Or completely removed, and would fit magnetic car holders too, I wil start with one, but might buy more of those.... See they exists in other colours for other models, so a matter of searching I guess.....

I'll go with this one, too! Hopefully this will be big enough. I'm sure I'll stumble across a black one.

• phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?