Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

2 hours ago, kashif said:

@EskeRahn you said P20 pro case fits properly on pro1? im going to order one.

does it stay put on pro1? considering how less the grip space is on pro1

Yes it fits fine. I just updated the blog post with a flip case for the Huawei P20 Pro, I have been using for about a week. It fits better than the Note7 one.

IMG_20191228_115736_HDR~01.jpg

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

FYI, I ordered this case in the US. "Premium TPU Case for Huawei P20 Pro Slim Fit Transparent Silicone Clear Soft Cover Case"

It fits fairly well on the keyboard half of the phone. It does not interfere with the opening mechanism, really. I was afraid it would.

It definitely improves the grip, and provides a bit of protection to half the phone.

I modified it in a way similar to how @EskeRahn did. Tip: leather punches are great if you have them.

It would be great if a similar case was made specifically for the Pro1, with a bumper case for the display half.

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, zurvan2 said:

...., with a bumper case for the display half.

I simply do not see this as possible. The small distance between the two halves is already used for the grip of the lower part. and it would also interfere with the edges of the display.

In theory we could have a case on the bottom half with something sticking up at the ends protection the top when closed, but it would make it harder to access the keyboard.

So If you want to protect the top half, you would need to go for the clumbsy flip case type. I see no ways around it without affecting the functionality .... and function IS key. 😇

38 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I simply do not see this as possible. The small distance between the two halves is already used for the grip of the lower part. and it would also interfere with the edges of the display.

In theory we could have a case on the bottom half with something sticking up at the ends protection the top when closed, but it would make it harder to access the keyboard.

So If you want to protect the top half, you would need to go for the clumbsy flip case type. I see no ways around it without affecting the functionality .... and function IS key. 😇

....Theoretically one could also imagine two toothed-halves, where the teeth from below and above gripped into the small space without colliding. If made rather precise and in a more stiff material than the soft silicone it could work - but would still interfere with the edge interaction. And could leave the front of the keyboard with an unpleasant tagged edge...

Finally settled on a Huawei P20 Pro  flip case in the end. Thanks for the recommendation EskeRahn.
I don't find it awkward with the flip front at all, in fact it makes for a nice little desk just in front of the keyboard 😂
I had to do a bit of chopping about, as you did, but I left the power button, camera and volume controls covered.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, MickH said:

Finally settled on a Huawei P20 Pro  flip case in the end. Thanks for the recommendation EskeRahn.
I don't find it awkward with the flip front at all, in fact it makes for a nice little desk just in front of the keyboard 😂
I had to do a bit of chopping about, as you did, but I left the power button, camera and volume controls covered.

@EskeRahn put his phone in the case upside down to avoid the desk. 😮 Personally I'd rather have it flip the other way as well, but to each their own.

9 hours ago, silversolver said:

@EskeRahn put his phone in the case upside down to avoid the desk. 😮 Personally I'd rather have it flip the other way as well, but to each their own.

If the flap is the other way you can not hold it in your left in portrait and operate it with your right, unless you fold the flap under, and that gives a poor grip. But for those holding the device in the right hand, and operate with the right it is better to have the flap the other way.

If the other way the flap is slightly obstructing keyboard usage, but not substantially, if your thumbs are long enough to reach across.

But sure as a westerner it feels more natural that it opens like our books, and not like say a Japanese book.

• Like 1

P.S. One thing to consider if going with the P20 Pro case is the rubberised grip that holds the phone in place. I've found that the flexibility of this varies between manufacturers.

The case I have has a rather soft and flexible grip and it allows me to operate the buttons normally without cutting holes into it. I did get a second case that has a slightly more rigid phone grip and find the buttons are harder to operate though.

1 hour ago, MickH said:

I did try the phone upside down in the case but found the hinge/spine of the case impeded access to the power, volume buttons and fingerprint scanner. Besides, you can't use the camera while the phone is in the case.

Well depending on the case you choose, and the way you turn it you will need to modify more or less for the camera. But nothing complex. The most complex was for a flip case to punch a few holes for earpiece, secondary mic and notification LED. But the whole thing takes a few minutes only (and of course more if you for aesthetic reason, want it done more accurate.

To me part of the point folding it that way is that the flap when closed protects the buttons & fingerprint reader. And I deliberately cut in the INNER part only for the camera, so the lens is protected when closed. But the price of that is you need to open the flap a full 360 to access the rear camera. If you use the camera a lot, and can do without the protection, just cut a hole all the way through, (like I did with the first Note7 case)

Pro1_Huawei_P20_Pro_Case_Guide.jpg

Hi Guys and @EskeRahn i have put cloths to my pro1 i.e put the case on.

As per @EskeRahn command i got P20 pro case and it seems to fit pretty well as Eske suggested.

I had to make a cut on the case for usb c port and for power button.

looks all good. It can slide open pretty well, closing is ok too but sometimes its not properly seated as the case edges are there but then you just press it to sit properly. I hope it will not hurt the display in any form?

Below are the pics

20200101_182526.thumb.jpg.b64b900e62b4fd3815ad38d5c4b4dbcf.jpg20200101_182519.jpg.22c27db9eb0b5e014a0093bf76e2688f.jpg20200101_182500.jpg.bb54349f39d2f44e03bfc2139563b9a2.jpg20200101_182439.thumb.jpg.d5e0a15f98ca1ad35dc3d7bd98c7a3b3.jpg20200101_182500.jpg.bb54349f39d2f44e03bfc2139563b9a2.jpg

• Like 5
36 minutes ago, kashif said:

Hi Guys and @EskeRahn i have put cloths to my pro1 i.e put the case on.

As per @EskeRahn command i got P20 pro case and it seems to fit pretty well as Eske suggested.

I had to make a cut on the case for usb c port and for power button.

looks all good. It can slide open pretty well, closing is ok too but sometimes its not properly seated as the case edges are there but then you just press it to sit properly. I hope it will not hurt the display in any form?

Looks nice. You should consider to add a small hole (or extend the large one) on the back, for the secondary microphone. And also to punch a hole for the notification LED.

The one you used seems slightly better for use with magnetic USB, The least bad of the ones I tried extends a tiny bit beyond the case I used.

(And I can not imagine that it will harm the display in any way)

• Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Looks nice. You should consider to add a small hole (or extend the large one) on the back, for the secondary microphone. And also to punch a hole for the notification LED.

The one you used seems slightly better for use with magnetic USB, The least bad of the ones I tried extends a tiny bit beyond the case I used.

(And I can not imagine that it will harm the display in any way)

Thanks Eske!

Yeh my magnetic usb doesn't extends beyond case and stays inside the case.

On little issue i have is that its bit hard with the case to reach the power button to turn display on/off. have you found a way to turn on display by touching it or say pressing the home button?

• Like 1
7 minutes ago, kashif said:

Thanks Eske!

Yeh my magnetic usb doesn't extends beyond case and stays inside the case.

On little issue i have is that its bit hard with the case to reach the power button to turn display on/off. have you found a way to turn on display by touching it or say pressing the home button?

I use the fingerprint-reader, as it also wakes the screen. (And Off I just press the power button from the display side at/after close)

The case I used is 15.8mm. Is the one you used slightly larger, or has you found a cable with a more compact connector? And if so, does it do data too? And if so in both directions? (Some of the magnetic cables I tried are charge only, and some are not reversible used for data)

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I use the fingerprint-reader, as it also wakes the screen.

The case I used is 15.8mm. Is the one you used slightly larger, or has you found a cable with a more compact connector? And if so, does it do data too? And if so in both directions? (Some of the magnetic cables I tried are charge only, and some are not reversible used for data)

I am also using is 15.8mm too. But my meg usb is very compact (the most compact i could find) so thats why it doesn't sticks out.

It does both charging and data, however it doesnt work both ways. therefore ive plugged the adopter so that the side with light faces up, eg the pic below.

My fingure print scanner is still under the case as i haven't made a hole for it yet.

20200101_200034.jpg

25 minutes ago, kashif said:

This is the link

https://www.altronics.com.au/p/p1896-magnetic-usb-c-and-micro-b-charge-lead/

It looks like its the Australian made and unfortunately i cant find it on ebay.

If you want i can send you one by post, i have more then 10 of them

Thanks for the offer. Bought a bunch of different ones on ebay, and some are still in the mail somewhere. So let's await what arrives. Perhaps I will return to your offer 🙂

12 minutes ago, Hook said:

I am using this one, which works very well for charging and file transfer and ADB for rooting 😉

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3F33H5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Interesting, All the round ones I tried were unsuited for the Pro1, being too large so it goes below the underside of the device.

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Interesting, All the round ones I tried were unsuited for the Pro1, being too large so it goes below the underside of the device.

It does.  However, as I don't use a case, it isn't a problem. In fact, I hadn't even noticed that-- it isn't by much and does not make a noticeable difference typing on a surface (which I don't do often).  It has the advantage of giving me a little additional purchase while holding it and thumb typing ( right index finger wraps it).

EDIT:  Yeah, okay, so I failed to notice this was a thread about cases when I was looking at the magnetic USB posts.  Lol.  Sorry.

Edited by Hook
  • Haha 1
On 1/1/2020 at 11:45 PM, Hook said:

It does.  However, as I don't use a case, it isn't a problem. In fact, I hadn't even noticed that-- it isn't by much and does not make a noticeable difference typing on a surface (which I don't do often).  It has the advantage of giving me a little additional purchase while holding it and thumb typing ( right index finger wraps it).

EDIT:  Yeah, okay, so I failed to notice this was a thread about cases when I was looking at the magnetic USB posts.  Lol.  Sorry.

I think it would put stess on the usb port. You might not notice anything atm but may damage usb port in the long run.

What you think @EskeRahn?

• Like 1
9 minutes ago, kashif said:

I think it would put stess on the usb port. You might not notice anything atm but may damage usb port in the long run.

I have ordered one that is much narrower and long rather than round and will see if that works out better.  I'll take pics if it does.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kashif said:

Let me put it this way. The round ones I had bought, I gave away to someone not using a Pro1....

• Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?