Protective Case Suggestions and Ideas

38 minutes ago, sequestris said:

Ah. I'll take a picture of it.

I believe @EskeRahn means that if you got a second one and put it on the bottom, then they might bump into each other and not allow the phone to close all the way.  I only have 1, so I can't test that.  It certainly does protect the screen, but at the cost of clarity and the front facing camera would be affected too, but holes could be cut for that.

Congrats on the most bullet proof screen protector known to the Pro1 world at this time. 😉

• Like 2
  • Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

First testprint made last night. I've split the bottom up in 2 parts to figure out how well the fit is. there is some slight (2mm) missalignment of the buttons and usb-c header and the camera placemen

I made a leather pouch for the Pro1. I used cow leather, thickness about 2 mm. All the parts are glued with super glue gel adhesive which remains flexible. I made some holes to see the led and to get

Just finished a quick sketch of the bottom part of the protective cover:   Will run a test print tonight to get first dimensions with hard plastic to see how the shell fits, then adjust

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, david said:

I believe @EskeRahn means that if you got a second one and put it on the bottom, then they might bump into each other and not allow the phone to close all the way.  I only have 1, so I can't test that.  It certainly does protect the screen, but at the cost of clarity and the front facing camera would be affected too, but holes could be cut for that.

Congrats on the most bullet proof screen protector known to the Pro1 world at this time. 😉

Thanks and Thanks.
I will hold off on getting a back one at this time - the front/screen are my primary concerns.

50 minutes ago, D1ggs said:

I like how you time your melatonin. I'm guessing bedtime is 10pm 😂

That's when I totally take mine too!

i have a reminder to feed my cat too. If I don't, I will forget, she will be mad, eat my face while I sleep...bad things will happen.

• Haha 2
2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes please anyone, tell if you see them sans motive..

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-PU-Leather-Flip-Wallet-Book-Case-Cover-Pouch-For-Samsung-Galaxy-Mobile-Phone/172299270135?hash=item281dd637f7:m:mY7eHPLTB0XdI5ogmFkTFkw

Check this one out.
Trying to find alternate views

Edited by sequestris
1 minute ago, sequestris said:

Ah sorry. what I meant was flip cases with the fancy slide function like the ones you found, but boring ones without a motive on the front.

I haven't checked which of the Xiaomi ones you linked that fits best.

34 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Ah sorry. what I meant was flip cases with the fancy slide function like the ones you found, but boring ones without a motive on the front.

Check out the second (edited) link - those are all blah.

16 hours ago, lameboyadvance said:

...And I just found the case type I was looking for on AliExpress, for $4.07 (cheaper than eBay, as usual).

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000114115816.htm

For-Huawei-P20-P30-Mate-10-Pro-Lite-Y5-H

...If only they made this version with a fold out card section like the earlier case, then removing it to add depth for the Pro1 would be a lot easier/neater.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000054782975.html

Unless you're purposely trying to show of the Fxtec logo thru the case, the one above looks similar, available in lots of colors, but doesn't ahve that round hole in the middle, and also opens book-ways.....

2 hours ago, Craig said:

Unless you're purposely trying to show of the Fxtec logo thru the case, the one above looks similar, available in lots of colors, but doesn't ahve that round hole in the middle, and also opens book-ways.....

The picture is likely a 'stock' image of one of the dozen or so other models they also sell in their listing.

Also, the listing you linked is for the 'reversed' single latch design, that one might come in handy for people who might find the standard clip-over-the-front style latch gets in the way.

The style EskeRahn apparently uses (and I'm considering) has a split latch design where half is on each side of the flip case, making it 'smaller' and less obtrusive.

• Like 1

doublecase_closed.jpg.df32ae5f9a441fe452888397f9229d9a.jpg

doublecase_open.jpg.ac51031853bdb724975e41f562fd5984.jpg

@sequestris, you inspired me to try the clear case on front, and I was curious about @EskeRahn's concern of two cases fighting each other for grip in the gap between screen and keyboard, but at least with this combination of cases they seem to hold snugly while open, while closed, and while actively opening/closing! It's very promising!

Also -- at least for me, this DRAMATICALLY improves my ability to casually flip it open, without having to think about it so much.

• Like 7
8 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Yeah it's the slide function which appeals as no case modification would be needed

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, everlast4308 said:

@sequestris, you inspired me to try the clear case on front, and I was curious about @EskeRahn's concern of two cases fighting each other for grip in the gap between screen and keyboard, but at least with this combination of cases they seem to hold snugly while open, while closed, and while actively opening/closing! It's very promising!

Also -- at least for me, this DRAMATICALLY improves my ability to casually flip it open, without having to think about it so much.

Indeed it should be doable, and it certainly makes it even easier to open with the better edge-grip.

But as can be seen on your first image, the two parts are slightly misaligned because the mechanism can not close completely, but is stopped 1-2mm short. Not a big deal, but not ideal either. But it is certainly an idea that could be worked on! I would suggest to have the upper part grabbing by the long edges and the lower in a stiffer material grabbing by the short edges.

Interlocking inspired by what the below does on the full sides, we only need the 'lip' area shared for the Pro1.

image.png.09ecc121e5982cbe4fcc2b42b718de7e.png

• Like 1

...Sadly it doesn't look like they make that model of phone case for the Elephone U... ☹️

...I did however come across a few 'universal' bumper covers. Any chance they could be modified to encase the screen (or even the rear) portion?

HTB1aWt0fOCYBuNkSnaVq6AMsVXaz.jpg_350x35

...Then again, if the P20 Pro rear case fits over the front of the Pro1, maybe the front half of those P20 cases would also fit?

Edited by lameboyadvance
  • Like 1
  • phoebus2000 changed the title to Will Pro1 3D printer files for a case work with Pro1X?