F(x)tec on Verizon?

Yes, exactly, the SIM has to alreadt been provisioned in a Verizon approved phone.  In fact, Verizon online may in fact think you are still using the old phone.  My Verizon account (Pre-Pay) shows my phone as my Moto G6.  Verizon doesn't care about that, or at least they didn't when I clled it to their attention.  I had checked with them to make sure they wouldn't later pull the rug out from under me.  😉

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just got the Pro1 today and somehow got it working on Verizon based on the instructions here. Context: I have an existing account with Verizon. I've been swapping my sim to new devices for years.

Holy crap!!! I got Verizon to work!!!!   Both I and Verizon missed a step.  I was confused because I had verified my G6 was provisioned for VoLTEand that it could send and receieve calls if I set the

Forgot to add, the Verizon tech who got my Pro 1 working was extremely impressed by it and said she's going to order one herself.

Posted Images

I am on Verizon, it is much better signal stability than the droid 4

however fun stuff time.  hours at the store nothing was accomplished with good techs.... calling they said they give up even......next tech support guy registered me in as a fxtec pro 1 model qx1000 on the system. it HAD to be registered in the system first under and active phone to find the phone as could not find with imei alone

me using a brand new multi size all in one sim had to go big size sim first activate in the droid 4 then pass over to the fxtec.  THAT will still not get you on the network without dialing the *#*# thing mentioned on previous page and setting the provisions

not a prepay setup. its just a process,   assign a new sim start fresh and it IS a settings in the phone issue that really needs to be stickied as no one else has registered this phone on Verizon as what it is yet anyways atleast per their system... more that do the more it will be openly full spectrum allowed. that said I am in the middle of no where with superior signal by far even to even my cdma droid 4

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 1/27/2020 at 2:45 PM, windraver said:

Just got the Pro1 today and somehow got it working on Verizon based on the instructions here.

Context: I have an existing account with Verizon. I've been swapping my sim to new devices for years. I've been carrying my sim from Droid Turbo, Turbo 2, Moto Z force, Moto Z2 force, Pixel 3 and now to the FXtec Pro1.

Steps I took:

1. Insert existing active sim from Pixel 3.
  2. Skip initial setup step to setup network
  3. Connect to wifi
  4. Update to latest update
  5. go to dialer
  6. enter *#*#4636#*#*
  7. Enable all toggles under phone 1
  8. Set network to LTE only
  9. Restart

It now shows it is connect to 4G.

• Data confirmed working. Web browsing, connected to Google account, downloaded apps.
  • SMS sent and received
  • MMS sent and received
  • Call made and received 

Anything else I should be testing?

• update 1: Added clarifying information
  • update 2: tested and confirmed call and SMS both ways
  • update 3: test and confirmed MMS both ways.
  • update 4: cleanup

Used these steps and it worked. I switched from a Moto Z Force. Thank you so very much @windraver, I was checking out other networks earlier today to see what sort of rates I could get, were I to have to switch networks. 

On 1/27/2020 at 3:45 PM, windraver said:

Just got the Pro1 today and somehow got it working on Verizon based on the instructions here.

Context: I have an existing account with Verizon. I've been swapping my sim to new devices for years. I've been carrying my sim from Droid Turbo, Turbo 2, Moto Z force, Moto Z2 force, Pixel 3 and now to the FXtec Pro1.

Steps I took:

1. Insert existing active sim from Pixel 3.
  2. Skip initial setup step to setup network
  3. Connect to wifi
  4. Update to latest update
  5. go to dialer
  6. enter *#*#4636#*#*
  7. Enable all toggles under phone 1
  8. Set network to LTE only
  9. Restart

It now shows it is connect to 4G.

• Data confirmed working. Web browsing, connected to Google account, downloaded apps.
  • SMS sent and received
  • MMS sent and received
  • Call made and received 

Anything else I should be testing?

• update 1: Added clarifying information
  • update 2: tested and confirmed call and SMS both ways
  • update 3: test and confirmed MMS both ways.
  • update 4: cleanup

I tried these steps and calls will not work, get a server error every time.  Coming from a Nexus 6, been with Verizon since I cant even remember how long.

So frustrating after all this wait and still in a way no new phone.

The most likely reason for this problem is your SIM not having been provisioned for VoLTE in your old phone.  That has to be done on the old phone first, before it can work in the Pro 1. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

The most likely reason for this problem is your SIM not having been provisioned for VoLTE in your old phone.  That has to be done on the old phone first, before it can work in the Pro 1. 

I swear I did that a couple times.  It took a bit of waiting, but I got on the phone with tier 2 tech support and when we did this again, it works now. Not sure if they did anything on their end but I need to thank Nick from tech support for the help.  Thanks to all of you as well!

• Like 3

texting stopped working for me.

i initially set up the device and followed the instructions using the dialer advanced settings and it all worked well. i confirmed texting and calling worked after i flicked the provision tags and rebooted. the same day i removed the sim to place it back into my moto z3 because i wasnt ready to start using the pro1 and just left it as is with no sim, just wifi.

when i finally migrated stuff and put the sim in texting no longer works. mms seems to be fine and all the provisional tags have been enabled again (they turned themselves off) just as i did when i initially set up the phone but nothing. id prefer to not have to spend hours settings up everything again if i can help it

I took my previous phone, a Samsung Galaxy S5, and my Pro 1 in to the local Verizon contract store.  The S5 had the oldest SIM card they'd ever seen, and they figured it had just been moved from my Milestone to my Droid 4 and then to the Samsung but never replaced.

They popped a new SIM into the S5, activated it and enabled VoLTE.  Verified calling, sms, and mms worked.  They then swapped the SIM into the Pro 1, set the network type to Global, and it immediately registered on the network.  A little more tweaking from their end, and calls, sms, mms, hotspot, and everything were working perfectly.  The whole thing took less than ten minutes.  Kudos to Nancy and Ashley, Verizon techs who really know their stuff.  They said they do a lot of non-Verizon approved devices, and VoLTE/Global works for them every time.

Easiest.  Activation.  Ever.

ETA:  Verizon's system identifies it as an LG Verizon Voyager Global.  Weird, but not complaining.

Edited by cfeltych
added information
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, cfeltych said:

Easiest.  Activation.  Ever.

ETA:  Verizon's system identifies it as an LG Verizon Voyager Global.  Weird, but not complaining.

Sure as long as you don't want/need CDMA (which will go away in a year anyway).

The system still needs an associated IMEI & MEID.  Not sure which one they used, but presumably it should have been the S5's since that is what it was activated in.  So either the S5's IMEI incorrectly identifies as an LG Voyager, or they punched in something else when the new SIM card was activated.

16 hours ago, cfeltych said:

That is fascinating given this was a new SIM they activated in your S5.  My Pro1 is identified as a Moto G6 because that was the phone the SIM was provisioned for VoLTE in and transferred to the Pro1.  Hey, if it works... but that is a head scratcher.  Was it not a new SIM but one pulled from a turned in LG Voyager?  Lol.

2 hours ago, Hook said:

That is fascinating given this was a new SIM they activated in your S5.  My Pro1 is identified as a Moto G6 because that was the phone the SIM was provisioned for VoLTE in and transferred to the Pro1.  Hey, if it works... but that is a head scratcher.  Was it not a new SIM but one pulled from a turned in LG Voyager?  Lol.

The overwhelming odds are that they SIM was either initially activated in a LG Voyager (as the mule, we all know they can't activate it in the Pro1), or Verizon has misidentified the IMEI and their database identifies the S5 IMEI as being a LG Voyager.  I was going to add that these are really the only two options; however, certain Verizon employees can edit that field so I guess there is a chance that someone with the proper access edited it and changed it to LG Voyager.

The SIM was brand-new, punched out of its carrier card and installed by a Verizon tech right in front of me.  They wrote up the transaction as a SIM replacement, not a new activation, so all I paid for was the SIM itself.  The activation and VoLTE configuration was all done on the S5.  Its previous SIM was too old to support VoLTE so that option didn't even appear in the settings until the new SIM was active.

Once the S5 passed calling, sms, and mms inbound and outbound, she removed the SIM and put it in the Pro 1.  Her network configuration is in the screen cap below.  And the Pro 1 just worked.

network.png

I live out in the country in an area with a lot of hills.  The Pro 1 has held a solid signal no matter where I've taken it.  I even get a ghost of a signal in "farmer Faraday cages," AKA windowless metal pole buildings.

Voice call quality is excellent, and using speedtest.net I'm getting 30-40 Mb down/10 Mb up consistently.  In rural areas around here Verizon has repeaters set up every two or three miles that my S5 could never use.  The Pro 1 finds them all.

Now all I need is a stable Lineage build...

Pro1.jpg

Edited by cfeltych
fatfinger
  • Like 3
40 minutes ago, cfeltych said:

Forgot to add, the Verizon tech who got my Pro 1 working was extremely impressed by it and said she's going to order one herself.

Hey, if Veri$on employees start using the clack, maybe it will get supported officially! Well, I can dream LOL. But another clack sold is another brick in the future of clacks! Yay!

• Like 3

First of all, thanks to everyone for this post (and especially the quoted block from @windraver)! Long time lurker, first time poster 😁

I managed to get my Pro1 up and running on Verizon, bringing my SIM over from a Galaxy S10. When I initially inserted my SIM, I had no data connectivity. To get data working I did the: *#*#4636#*#* + enabling all toggles on Phone 1 + setting to LTE Only
I'm trying to better understand the difference between what I've done, and what @cfeltych got done at the Verizon store. @cfeltych: did you or the Verizon agent do the step above? If not, maybe folks can shed some light on the difference between methods... I'm gleaning that it has something to do with CDMA support, but I'm not picking up on the full detail...

Thanks!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, nsxhub said:

I managed to get my Pro1 up and running on Verizon, bringing my SIM over from a Galaxy S10. When I initially inserted my SIM, I had no data connectivity. To get data working I did the: *#*#4636#*#* + enabling all toggles on P[ro]1 + setting to LTE Only
I'm trying to better understand the difference between what I've done, and what @cfeltych got done at the Verizon store. @cfeltych: did you or the Verizon agent do the step above? If not, maybe folks can shed some light on the difference between methods... I'm gleaning that it has something to do with CDMA support, but I'm not picking up on the full detail...

Essentially, there is no difference.  One needs a mule phone to make this work (see the original pages of this thread) because Verizon won't activate the Pro1 directly.  Your mule was the S10 (which I know works, because I did it for a friend with his S10, and I have also used an S8, both work fine -as should just about any other phone that supports VoLTE with a SIM that is also compatible and provisioned for it).  That's all that is needed (hardware wise) to get your Pro1 up and running (sans the CDMA network).

The only difference between what you did and cfeltych's experience is that he needed a new SIM card for his mule (the S5) because his was too old and didn't support VoLTE.  In your case, the S10's SIM was newer and worked just fine.  In my original postings about this (AFAIK it was @silversolver and I who started, and explained, the whole mule discussion in this particular thread) I mentioned it was best to start with a fresh SIM card.  This is because there are many old and incompatible ones which are still in use today.  In cfeltych's case he was in a Verizon store so they knew what he needed.  Many of us are DIYers and don't go into the stores; thus, I mentioned the new/fresh SIM as a way to weed out any SIM issues for those who don't know if their SIM card is compatible.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, nsxhub said:

. @cfeltych: did you or the Verizon agent do the step above?

The Verizon tech did everything.  I handed her my phones and she took care of it right there at the counter in front of me.

I think provisioning a new SIM in an established phone originally purchased from Verizon, then moving it to the Pro 1, made a difference.  The only adjustments made after the SIM was moved was to the network configuration in Settings.  I asked if *#*#4636#*#* was necessary on the Pro 1 and she said no.

She said she would submit a DMD request form for the Pro 1, it's an initial step for Verizon to approve the device.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
53 minutes ago, cfeltych said:

She said she would submit a DMD request form for the Pro 1, it's an initial step for Verizon to approve the device.

Oh, if it were only that easy!  A request to put a block of IMEIs into the DMD database needs to be requested by the manufacturer of the device, and that's only after they have a signed contract with Verizon saying they will pay for the necessary hardware testing to verify compatibility on/with the CDMA network.  Should the device pass all of Verizon's requirements and tests (and the manufacturer is financially current), the DMD request will then be accepted, reviewed, and processed.  It is possible to submit a request for a single IMEI, but it's only taken seriously if the device has already been approved for use on their network, but for some odd reason hasn't been added to the database yet.  To my knowledge, F(x)tec isn't working with Verizon (nor do they have any plans to do so), and the Pro1 isn't certified (and won't be any time soon, or ever at all).

Edited by Polaris
  • Thanks 2
20 minutes ago, spence fx serial 809 said:

i dmd requested still had to set provisions to

If I'm understanding what you are saying... your DMD request would have been denied, and, yes, the SIM card (and account) would have needed to be provisioned for VoLTE.

Edited by Polaris
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, spence fx serial 809 said:

no they approved it but the provision still had to be set first, wondering if that was systems update related as i did not update before doing all this, and i am running on the global setting

We are talking about two different approvals then.  I'm referring to Verizon certifying the Pro1 (all of them) for use on their network.  This hasn't happened and can only happen if F(x)tec submits a request, pays money, and passes their evaluation.

58 minutes ago, spence fx serial 809 said:

to be clear it is only still running on lte and i have zero access to the cdma system

Right!  This is because it's not certified for use on their network.  If the IMEI was in the DMD database, then it would have full CDMA access like all the other brands and models of phones that they have certified for use on their network.  Again, I'm certain we are talking about two different kinds of "approval."

Edited by Polaris

To take another turn on this topic, has anyone gotten dual Verizon SIMs working?  I have a work phone that I was given the go-ahead to swap the SIM from but any time I put the second SIM in it specifically says that I have no service, though my primary SIM is fine.  Is it possible that this phone doesn't support dual 4G SIMs?