Source Code Nature of Specialized Launcher

Having a physical keyboard to type with is awesome already. Yet, F(x)tec outdoes themselves and makes a unique launcher that can be controlled/navigated by the keyboard as well.

I am very excited for this feature! However, I am more so excited for the friendliness towards custom development. In this light, will the source code of the groundbreaking F(xt)tec launcher be opened? It would be simply awesome to, say, use LineageOS with extra physical keyboard navigation.

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...
25 minutes ago, Craig said:

Bringing this back up.  Is it possible to use the stock launcher under lineage?  Is the source available, or an apk somewhere? 

the apk is available under /system/priv-app/Launcher3QuickStep, but I do not know If we are allowed to copy it?

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I do not know If we are allowed to copy it

I can't imagine a situation where you wouldn't be allowed to use it under lineage on the same device tho, even if other use is somehow restricted....

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Hook said:

So it is a modified version of Launcher 3 (guessing from apk name)? That's part of AOSP, isn't it? So the real question is how closed source are their mods? 

It is clearly from the launcher3, even the icon survived... 😉

• Like 1
1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/packages/apps/Launcher3/+/refs/heads/master/NOTICE

So they don't have to open source.  But there modifications will be minimal I guess if they don't we can always just fork and make changes and feed back.

1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

Actually I'd hope they would feedback there changes to the project

I think we have the pot calling the kettle black in the other thread...  These could have been a single post. LOL. 😉😀

I apologize to others and please carry on about the launcher...

• Haha 2
20 minutes ago, Polaris said:

I think we have the pot calling the kettle black in the other thread...  These could have been a single post. LOL. 😉😀

I apologize to others and please carry on about the launcher...

HAHA.  You did 3 or 4 in a row 😄

• Haha 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Bump!

F(x)tec is advertising the Pro¹ with "LineageOS"-Support.
Well, ok, I flashed the test build of LineageOS, but F(x)tec should _really_ open source their launcher!!
(...and publish it at F-Droid or submit some code to Lineage's Trebuchet, if they want to adopt those features.)

Damn it, what's wrong guys?!

Edited by fxtec-preorder-47xx
  • Like 2
1 hour ago, D1ggs said:

Considering how often I've wiped the phone, nova's back up and restore feature is a God send. 

Never did a reset since I got it in January. I'm actually using it 😁

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Slion said:

Never did a reset since I got it in January. I'm actually using it 😁

Similar here. I do not recall having needed a reset at all on the retail unit since I got it in November.

(I obviously have reset the earlier units more recent flashing Sailfish and different versions of LineageOS though)

• Like 1
  • 2 months later...
On 1/26/2020 at 10:47 AM, Slion said:

Is the Pro1 launcher open source by any chance?

I did not find the App in F-Droid or as APK anywhere, but apparently when you build your own ROM it can be pulled in easily:

You might want to remove the `fxtec_launcher` from CUSTOM_PACKAGES and the line about `local_manifests`, I use that to replace Trebuchet with the stock launcher.

Anyway, I won't build any ROM for myself, as at the moment my most powerful device is... lets see... possibly my Pro¹ 😉 ...sad but true.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1