Pro 2 - rumor and speculation thread

5 hours ago, silversolver said:

I see no point in F(x)tec ever doing portrait while BlackBerry still is. My Droid battery died so I'm on my PRIV...there's nothing wrong with this thing if you like portrait......which I don't, but oh well. It's a good phone, and in some good ways reminds me of my old Palm Treo 650 and 700p. There's no reason to duplicate BB's efforts.

The main problem with BlackBerry for me is that they lock down the phones so they can't run custom software - it's nice from a security perspective but when your two years (or less, depending on where in the release cycle you buy) of software updates is up, you have a slowly ageing phone stuck in an otherwise perfectly usable shell. For me, the appeal of the Pro1 is the combination of the keyboard (+ other stuff) AND the openness in terms of software.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Or is it that they think the ideal size for a TV is 1" larger than a phone?

I think the most common themes here are that the Pro2 should have a smaller size available and have dual SIM plus simultaneous uSD and not drop any of the other features, such as the 1/8" jack. Person

I think we're just people with large hands 😎

6 hours ago, silversolver said:

I see no point in F(x)tec ever doing portrait while BlackBerry still is. My Droid battery died so I'm on my PRIV...there's nothing wrong with this thing if you like portrait......which I don't, but oh well. It's a good phone, and in some good ways reminds me of my old Palm Treo 650 and 700p. There's no reason to duplicate BB's efforts.

Well I guess it is debatable if BBmob would ever do another keyboard device. I HIGHLY doubt that that they will ever make a Priv II (Remember the Priv was not TCL, but while BB made hardware), and also doubt TCL/BBMob will even make a Key3, though that is less unlikely than the Priv II.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, silversolver said:

Yeah I agree with this.  I have a keyone and it works fine for normal usage email/messaging etc.  But tbh I think they should release a new priv with similar specs and the key2.    Its mainly rubbish with SSH and games need landscape (priv will be better with games than keyone) 😉

• Like 2
4 hours ago, okayphoneme said:

The main problem with BlackBerry for me is that they lock down the phones so they can't run custom software - it's nice from a security perspective but when your two years (or less, depending on where in the release cycle you buy) of software updates is up, you have a slowly ageing phone stuck in an otherwise perfectly usable shell. For me, the appeal of the Pro1 is the combination of the keyboard (+ other stuff) AND the openness in terms of software.

I do agree with this, but to me it's not a game-changer. I often use old OS versions long after support ends (I'm still using WinXP occasionally LOL)

• Like 1
8 hours ago, silversolver said:

I do agree with this, but to me it's not a game-changer. I often use old OS versions long after support ends (I'm still using WinXP occasionally LOL)

For me the problem is not about being able to use an aged phone as I, like silversolver, am using a 2012 phone as a daily driver (and am very content).  I don't like the portrait keyboard, but even if I could acclimate to the keyboard, I definitely didn't like having something that was locked down for Blackberry only signatures.  Once it was known that there was no way around their protection, it became a deal breaker for me and I gave my Priv away.

Windows XP is a relatively new OS! 😀😀 I still have a handful of DOS machines doing data logging and (simple) CAD control, I even have a Windows 3.11 machine running a voicemail system at a buddy's place.  However, before all the responses come flooding in, I'll mention that I do have a bunch of Windows 7 Pro machines doing most of the heavy lifting (well at least where Windows is called for).  In regard to Windows, I even have a couple of Win10 machines (but still can't get used to the childish interface, yuck).

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 2
57 minutes ago, Polaris said:

For me the problem is not about being able to use an aged phone as I, like silversolver, am using a 2012 phone as a daily driver (and am very content).  I don't like the portrait keyboard, but even if I could acclimate to the keyboard, I definitely didn't like having something that was locked down for Blackberry only signatures.  Once it was known that there was no way around their protection, it became a deal breaker for me and I gave my Priv away.

Windows XP is a relatively new OS! 😀😀 I still have a handful of DOS machines doing data logging and (simple) CAD control, I even have a Windows 3.11 machine running a voicemail system at a buddy's place.  However, before all the responses come flooding in, I'll mention that I do have a bunch of Windows 7 Pro machines doing most of the heavy lifting (well at least where Windows is called for).  In regard to Windows, I even have a couple of Win10 machines (but still can't get used to the childish interface, yuck).

If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

• Like 2

Hi,

I think smaller will be unrealistic (you need some size for Battery/cooling), so I hope, they will offer in perhaps two years a pro1 Mark II: Similar design (if time-proven, they can even use the same keyboard components) and more recent hardware with a modern mid-range processor, 5G and "enough" storage.

But my wish would be a semi-rugged and waterproof 5" model. Same Hardware, same Keyboard, same size, but no fear of damaging it too bad.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, holter said:

Hi,

I think smaller will be unrealistic (you need some size for Battery/cooling), so I hope, they will offer in perhaps two years a pro1 Mark II: Similar design (if time-proven, they can even use the same keyboard components) and more recent hardware with a modern mid-range processor, 5G and "enough" storage.

But my wish would be a semi-rugged and waterproof 5" model. Same Hardware, same Keyboard, same size, but no fear of damaging it too bad.

But the current is not a 5", it's a 6". I agree, go smaller—a 5" ruggedized with similar keyboard with a few customer-requested improvements, a flat screen, and the battery will take care of itself as the largest consumer of battery in most mobile devices is the screen. I would also imagine cooling will be adequate with 5" vs 6", but that would naturally depend on processor TDP at load.

BUT I DREAM.

1 hour ago, silversolver said:

Hence why I dream.....it seems most people think the ideal size for a phone is about 1" smaller than a TV.....

• Haha 3
4 hours ago, silversolver said:

Hence why I dream.....it seems most people think the ideal size for a phone is about 1" smaller than a TV.....

2 hours ago, david said:

...and, either way, they're all screwed up! ROFLMAO! 😀

• Haha 2

I'm with @abielins (Hey, get your paws off my Pro1 😉)...

I find the Pro 1 a perfect size for my large hands. I wouldn't even mind if the screen were a bit taller (landscape-- means wider in portrait.)  That might even make it so the keyboard could come out a little further, enough to have full size number keys.  🙂

• Like 1