Magnetic cables

56 minutes ago, kashif said:

is there any downside of using magnetic usb cable or keeping adapter in the phone?

data transfers isn't always there, and almost never in usb3 speed or with hdmi support (found only one for macbook)
so for android auto for example, it's not viable

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Some of them.  But not all.  Even from the ones linked, we've had some that do and some that don't.   For example the any-directional one was only usb 2 2.4amp - I liked that one but was disappointed

Yes, I do this all the time with magnetic cables.  My cables are all USB 2.0-- for my uses I've never thought it worth bothering trying t upgrade.  The magnetic adapter goes in when I first recei

The number of times I've put my priv down to wireless charge at night and then found out in the morning it was misaligned... was once. And then I never used the wireless charger again.

Posted Images

1 hour ago, kashif said:

Well i tried couple of brands where were available here locally. those were not from Samsung though.

and apart from killing battery it used to make phone pretty hot because phone has to stay on qi charger for long.

yes qi charging for me was much slower then connecting cable. i was using Galaxy note 8.

and not i use usb c magnetic cable where usb c adapter stays in permanently in the phone. so to protect phone usb from damage cause by inserting usb c cable in and out.

is there any downside of using magnetic usb cable or keeping adapter in the phone?

I was asking about the magnetic adapter, not the wireless charging.  

You are saying the E7 has a usb C port?

3 minutes ago, david said:

I was asking about the magnetic adapter, not the wireless charging.  

You are saying the E7 has a usb C port?

Ahh sorry David for misunderstanding

The magnetic cable/adapter i have been using is DYNALink. it comes with both usb c and micro usb adapters.

No E7 has mirco usb port and i used the micro usb adapter.

but this cable pack also included usb c adapter that i was using with Note 8

3 hours ago, kashif said:

The magnetic cable/adapter i have been using is DYNALink. it comes with both usb c and micro usb adapters.

Thanks for the info.  Have you tried any other brands?  Are there pros or cons to different brands?

12 hours ago, kashif said:

I googled for the DYNALink, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  Do you have a link to it?

50 minutes ago, david said:

I googled for the DYNALink, but I couldn't find it anywhere.  Do you have a link to it?

They appear to be Australian.  Amazon.au has them, but not Amazon.com as far as I can see

https://www.altronics.com.au/dynalink/av-cables-adaptors/?connection_2=hdmi

I'm ordering one on Amazon made by Garas, but just picked one out of a hat to try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3F33H5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

19 minutes ago, Hook said:

They appear to be Australian.  Amazon.au has them, but not Amazon.com as far as I can see

https://www.altronics.com.au/dynalink/av-cables-adaptors/?connection_2=hdmi

I'm ordering one on Amazon made by Garas, but just picked one out of a hat to try.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Q3F33H5/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That first link brought me to a bunch of HDMI adapters/cables.

I wonder how they can make the ones you bought for that price.  Seems cheaper than just normal USB-C cables. LOL  

Oh....it is only available in 3.9 feet lengths.  That wouldn't work for me.  But I'll be curious to hear how they work for you.

Something like this looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charging-Terasako-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B07RHVNFQ6

I like the 90 degree option.  That would make the cable last longer for my family members who like to bend the heck out of the cables when they are using the phone while they are plugged in. 😁

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, david said:

Something like this looks interesting:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charging-Terasako-Compatible-Smartphone/dp/B07RHVNFQ6

I like the 90 degree option.  That would make the cable last longer for my family members who like to bend the heck out of the cables when they are using the phone while they are plugged in. 😁

Nice, but would be even better if the same cable had magnet coupling in BOTH the end and the side.....

An extreme variant (that I just ordered) can be found here

600816145_s-l16001.thumb.jpg.3221639a3b20fd54eae7441c9698eafe.jpg

• Thanks 1
21 hours ago, david said:

Thanks for the info.  Have you tried any other brands?  Are there pros or cons to different brands?

yes i did few. The DynaLink is very good, and yes its an Australian.

i think its the best thing i bought because before that my usb port used to break after every 2-3 months. and each time i gave it for repair i run the chance of getting something else broken or not working as the whole phone has to be disassembled.

since i bought this magnetic cable my usb port has not broken ever again. the reason is that i keep the adopter in the port so it saves me from plugging in and out the cables that i would do multiple times a day. secondly it protects port from getting dust in it.

the first two pics show the cable.

i bought another thing a while ago from ebay (the last pic). it what you are prolly looking at. you can then plug any usb c cable in it.but i didnt like it because the problem it has is when you pull the cable the whole adopter also comes out. maybe its the poor quality that the adopter doesnt looks well in the usb port or maybe the magnet too strong. so you end up put it back again and again. while the DynaLink one is very good and it stay looked in the port. and if you need to plug something else like usb c to hdmi then you simply pull the adopter out.

k1.jpg

k2.jpg

k3.jpg

• Like 1

The small adapter does protrude a bit. It is not much, but some might find it too hideous.

1186391228_IMG_20191031_164654_HDR01.jpg.92aecc5f5857b78391f33f3059f5f90e.jpg1863428525_IMG_20191031_164625_HDR01.jpg.778c5386f1a4a1a1d8e5401359350259.jpg1853536585_IMG_20191031_164542_HDR01.thumb.jpg.ee7268bd946b6b8c66dc42785e042b8c.jpg

There MIGHT be other brands protruding a bit less, and perhaps it can be found BLACK...

Will see what ebay can offer...

PS

...AVOID the round ones, as these will go below the bottom of the device...

6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The small adapter does protrude a bit. It is not much, but some might find it too hideous.

1186391228_IMG_20191031_164654_HDR01.jpg.92aecc5f5857b78391f33f3059f5f90e.jpg1863428525_IMG_20191031_164625_HDR01.jpg.778c5386f1a4a1a1d8e5401359350259.jpg1853536585_IMG_20191031_164542_HDR01.thumb.jpg.ee7268bd946b6b8c66dc42785e042b8c.jpg

There MIGHT be other brands protruding a bit less, and perhaps it can be found BLACK...

Will see what ebay can offer...

This one seems too protruding, the one i got doesnt have that much. or maybe its the design of the port on pro1

does the adopter stay in when you pull the cable?

5 minutes ago, kashif said:

This one seems too protruding, the one i got doesnt have that much. or maybe its the design of the port on pro1

does the adopter stay in when you pull the cable?

It stays in. And yes, there might be shorter plugs. This one has an 11mm plug, protrudes 4mm dettached, and there is 2mm between the edge of the cable-plug and the chassis when plugged, so (in theory) it could be 2mm less protruding with the same hold. I will see if I can find a more compact one / have not been able to find one where the protruding part is totally black. At best the plastic parts (like on this one) are black, not the most visible rim....

11 minutes ago, kashif said:

mine looks like this

Clearly better. Searching a bit on ebay I see others 8.9mm long, so they will protrude just enough to be 'grabbed' by the cable. But still none black. If someone find some that are black so please let me know...

22 hours ago, abielins said:

The number of times I've put my priv down to wireless charge at night and then found out in the morning it was misaligned... was once. And then I never used the wireless charger again.

The Priv is a pain to align correctly to a Qi charger. At least the shitty cheap ones I got from DailySteals for "free if you pay shiping". haha

17 hours ago, david said:

That first link brought me to a bunch of HDMI adapters/cables.

I wonder how they can make the ones you bought for that price.  Seems cheaper than just normal USB-C cables. LOL  

Oh....it is only available in 3.9 feet lengths.  That wouldn't work for me.  But I'll be curious to hear how they work for you.

The Garas works great (and I prefer the length).  It only has a small button protrusion, like Kashif's.  Has a small blue led to show it is getting power.  Charges from either computer port or wall wort, but only rapid charges from wall, of course. One thing is that the magnet is pretty strong. On my Moto G6, if I pull the cord straight back it pulls out the tip with it, but I got it because the grip of the USB-C prt on this cheap ass phone had already started to loosen even for a standard plug (I occasionally find it disconnected when I leave it to charge.  I don't expect that with the Pro 1.  It does work, even with the G6 to bend the cord tip at a right angle and it peels off while leaving the tip in place.

It's a good, strong cord and I'm pretty happy with it.

7 hours ago, mcdinner said:

Does QC3 still work with those adapters ?

Some of them.  But not all.  Even from the ones linked, we've had some that do and some that don't.   For example the any-directional one was only usb 2 2.4amp - I liked that one but was disappointed no quick charge.  But theoretically if you want your battery to last longer you don't quick charge, so maybe for some people that's preferred.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 2 months later...

As we are all to aware, the pro1 does not support wireless charging. What do you guys use for charging?

I am working on a laser cut stand inspired by my tylt Qi charger with the intention of adding a magnetic breakaway charger in the base of it.

I am investigating the readily available usb-c magnetic breakaway adapters. Currently I am using one from ebay which supports quick charge but not data transfer. Interestingly, the device that actually arrived was branded "Baseus" and looks similar to the original kickstarter by the same name, but uses a different layout of the contacts. The pictures in the listing shows a 5 pin arrangement, but the device that arrived has a 6 pin arrangement. I ordered the one labeled "for other ucsb-c device" and it fast charges both from the stock charger and a RAVPower 61w usb-c charger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401933899627

So far it seems to work fine, but is an expensive solution since it means that all of my charging spots need a $15 adapter in addition to a usb-c capable charger.

20200102_152847.jpg

11 minutes ago, fxtec5 said:

As we are all to aware, the pro1 does not support wireless charging. What do you guys use for charging?

I am working on a laser cut stand inspired by my tylt Qi charger with the intention of adding a magnetic breakaway charger in the base of it.

I am investigating the readily available usb-c magnetic breakaway adapters. Currently I am using one from ebay which supports quick charge but not data transfer. Interestingly, the device that actually arrived was branded "Baseus" and looks similar to the original kickstarter by the same name, but uses a different layout of the contacts. The pictures in the listing shows a 5 pin arrangement, but the device that arrived has a 6 pin arrangement. I ordered the one labeled "for other ucsb-c device" and it fast charges both from the stock charger and a RAVPower 61w usb-c charger.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/401933899627

So far it seems to work fine, but is an expensive solution since it means that all of my charging spots need a $15 adapter in addition to a usb-c capable charger.

There are a lot of cheap(er) cables available if you need charge only. But if you want data too, it is more limited.

Also note that most extends quite a bit, actually adding a risk for the USB-port when not charging. Especially if used without a case. (A case also protects the protruding plug somewhat)

I have not found any very tight either. @kashif has reported here that some that protrudes less are available in Australia.

Considering that the Pro1 has a reported battery life of well over 18 hours of pure torture @netman I plan to use a cord at night. I sleep, it sleeps, we both recharge. Even on my old tired overworked Droid 4 I can generally make it all day and charge at night. I don't foresee a use case scenario where conventional cord charging will be a problem.

• Like 3