Waxberry

QWERTZ User Layout Setup

For all the QWERTZ users, please set-up the keyboard layout after the initial setup. (Only needs to do this once)

Please go to hardware keyboard setting. This can go from drop down menu when after boot, or Setting - System - Languages and Input - Physical keyboard

For QWERTZ user, please click "Setup Keyboard Layouts" and select German

For QWERTY user, please remain unselected (default), please do not select US or UK English, please uncheck all. (In fact you don't need to do anything it's "default" by default)

de1.png

de2.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 7

Just now, Swond said:

Even for other languages, which uses QWERTZ layout? We should set German?

Yes, the current QWERTZ layout is different from a standard one (it was made by the community) So we currently put this layout under German. In the future we could expand it into other German-speaking nation settings

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Waxberry said:

In the future we could expand it into other German-speaking nation settings

It would be good to have an option to define custom layouts as well.

I have not even tried to locate appropriate files under Android but I hope the system can be easily modified to achieve this (however, I strongly think root access will be required), so I mean a somewhat similar way what worked under my N900.

For me, I would be happy if I could easily use national (Hungarian) characters with the help of Pro1's modifier keys.
(I mean characters like áéíóöőúüű / ÁÉÍÓÖŐÚÜŰ)

On my N900, I could write very fast using my redefined layout and the modifier key.

Pro1 should be much better in this relation as it has a really full-featured keyboard.
So the best would be if a custom keyboard editor would be existed but is still very good if anyone could make an own layout which don't destroy anything else. 🙂

I just would like to mention I am not belong to any German-speaking nation, but QWERTZ layout was much closer for me to the optimal one.
Personally, I would have been chose the non-shifted US layout if it was existed anyway as the two layouts I would like to use some way are English (for terminal or maybe programming) and Hungarian (for casual communication). So that way at least one layout would be closer to one what I use - so German is not the best for me but at least most of the keys are in place.

However, my N900 had English layout while all of my special (Hungarian) characters were reachable at convenient places using the blue arrow.

PS: Hungarian layout also use QWERTZ arrangement, however, I really hate that idea and I also use QWERTY on my keyboard regardless of what is written on that key. 🙂

• Like 3

Same here, that was the reason, why I asked. Czech layout also uses qwertz, but national characters differs from German of corse.

Typically, you can set up and change your keys individually by a file named keychar or similar in Android. For the Droid 4 I had to edit two files for changes to be made (i.e. change y/z), but it was very easy to do.

First thing I will do with this device is to unable Caps lock (or change it to ALT+Caps). But you have lots of options.

By the way, you can also assign keys like this:

Ö = ö

SHIFT+Ö = Ö

ALT+Ö = ő

SHIFT+ALT+Ö = Ő

Other keys should be accessable like usual (´+ o = ó)

I'm sure you'll find a solution that fits you.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SchattengestaIt said:

Typically, you can set up and change your keys individually by a file named keychar or similar in Android. For the Droid 4 I had to edit two files for changes to be made (i.e. change y/z), but it was very easy to do.

First thing I will do with this device is to unable Caps lock (or change it to ALT+Caps). But you have lots of options.

If possible I would love to use caps lock for selection between Danish and English, and have the led indicate one of them. But I guess that is beyond the normal mapping files described here

https://source.android.com/devices/input/key-layout-files

https://developer.android.com/reference/android/view/KeyEvent

https://source.android.com/devices/input/key-character-map-files

• Thanks 1

I don't know how to accomplish that, but you should be able to start a small script with it (Pro 1 is specifically designed for shortcuts) and that should be able to change the layout setting.
Very interesting idea.

• Like 1