[Community Build][3.3.0.16][Updated 18th Aug] Sailfish OS for Fxtec Pro1

1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Thanks for this! I had planned to play around with Sailfish bit now I will not...

I didn't mean to turn you off playing around with it!  While it is true Sailfish has a much more limited app selection than Android, most of the basics are available.  Installing elros34's ubu_chroot package opens up the ability to run ubuntu apps, not limited to chromium and open libreoffice.  Work is being done to improve basics too, at some point it wont be Alpha, but indeed it is rough around the edges now, but usable. 

It is fun to play with.  And it does seem more like real gnu/linux.  You can download source and compile on device and it works.  You are not limited to what's available in the two main appstores (Jolla store and openrepos via storeman).   But you have to want to play around with such things to get the full benefit of it.  

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 3
  • Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated 18 Aug 2020: Updated flashable package to 3.3.0.16. Many thanks to Adam Pigg who has fixed many bugs and implemented many featured including fingerprint reader and encrypting user data, which

Regarding sailfish, the port is certainly still in development and has not stalled.  I use it as my daily driver with few issues. The latest releases are available from the continuous integration

PSA Updating to Sailfish 3.4 The update to Sailfish 3.4 on the Pro1 is much anticipated.  Not only will it bring the great features in 3.4, but it also bring encrypted home partition for added secur

Posted Images

40 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

they COULD offer the features limitation turned off for €50 (or perhaps more fairly slightly reduced) also for phones they themselves do not support (yet)

Android compatibility layer is directly related to the specific device hardware adaptation. It's locked not only because it's proprietary (and partly licensed from another vendor),  it has to be developed and tested first.

Regarding predictive text input and MS Exchange support, it's complicated due to licensing conditions of those components. Jolla can provide access to it as a part of Sailfish X service (bundled with support and such), but not resell to end users.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Craig said:

I didn't mean to turn you off playing around with it!  While it is true Sailfish has a much more limited app selection than Android, most of the basics are available.  Installing elros34's ubu_chroot package opens up the ability to run ubuntu apps, not limited to chromium and openoffice.  Work is being done to improve basics too, at some point it wont be Alpha, but indeed it is rough around the edges now, but usable. 

It is fun to play with.  And it does seem more like real gnu/linux.  You can download source and compile on device and it works.  You are not limited to what's available in the two main appstores (Jolla store and openrepos via storeman).   But you have to want to play around with such things to get the full benefit of it.  

Well that was what I meant. Might be interesting to play around with, but on the other hand not likely to be really useful unless it ends up supported. As they deliberately maims it without offering you the options to buy off the blocking...😥

It is a bit like selling a free app with limited functions, telling you that there are additional interesting things in the pro version - and then prevent you from buying the pro version....

19 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

Its interesting you can run ubuntu apps on it.  What are the limitations there?  (ignoring having arm binaries!)

Right now, it's using software for some video decoding, so some games run slow.  Ubuntu repos are full of stuff installable with apt or synaptic, but certainly not everything that x86 repos have..

Edited by Craig
28 minutes ago, Craig said:

Right now, it's using software for some video decoding, so some games run slow.  Ubuntu repos are full of stuff installable with apt or synaptic, but certainly not everything that x86 repos have..

Is the java support ok?

25 minutes ago, Craig said:

Tell me how to test and I'll try it.

try "java -version" if it outputs it's version they its installed and working,  is so run "java -d64" to see if 64bit is working 🙂

something like "apt install openjdk-8-jre" should install it if the above commands fail.

• Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Craig said:

I did have to install it (that was indeed the correct package name).  Version 11.0.05 2019-10-15.

It doesn't recognize the option -d64 tho.  It tells me so.

did it say 

Error: This Java instance does not support a 64-bit JVM.

or option not found?  They may have changed it on that version of java! 🙂  

EDIT:

You might need to run:

java -d64 version
Edited by _DW_

Issues I've encountered so far :-

Email account setup will not connect to any of my email servers, using any combination of settings I've tried. It seems that it never receives a response from the server, either via wifi or cellular network. I may try snooping with Wireshark later on to see what's happening.

Many partitions show up in 'Storage', but neither of the SD cards I tried would work (128G and 64G). I will try a 32G card when I can find it - it's here somewhere, I used it for flashing yesterday! (Multiple partitions is already listed in open issues) Plugging a memory stick in the USB port works perfectly!

Bluetooth always drops a few seconds after connection for every device I tried (2 headsets, one car kit).

Has anyone else seen these problems before I try to go bothering the already hardworking devs?

EDIT : Also noted the developer USB IP address is fixed, or at least changes don't stick when leaving the settings screen. I was unable to ssh in externally, though ssh locally works.

Edited by epninety
added info
On 1/23/2020 at 5:47 PM, Parhelion said:

Anyway, it might still have to wait, maybe even a few weeks further as it doesn't really matter that much , I just don't have much time and even less mind capacity to spare at the moment, and since I'd like to give a try at Sailfish right away...

Couldn't withstand it any more - Pro1 running SFOS! 😄😍

feels like.

.bannerx.jpg?t=636782413200000000&sp=ce6c

Edited by Parhelion
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
On 1/25/2020 at 3:55 AM, epninety said:

Has anyone else seen these problems before I try to go bothering the already hardworking devs?

Yep.  Most Some are already listed as known issues on the github issue tracker (linked in 3rd post of this thread by one of the hardworking devs :)

https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1/droid-config-t5/issues

i.e.:

Extra imaginary partitions SD card : https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1/droid-config-t5/issues/24

usb ssh: https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1/droid-config-t5/issues/20

Edited by Craig
i.e.
  • Confused 1

Yeah, bluetooth has been useless for me on every community build I've used (Xperia and Gemini).

I probably wasn't very clear in the phrasing of my reports. I was aware of the multiple partitions issue, but I haven't seen anyone mention that the real devices don't appear, which seems a bigger issue.

Likewise, aware of the USB ssh, but I have no ssh via wifi either. (Kabouik reports it working via wifi a month ago on the issues list). Also hadn't seen any mention of the usb ip address being fixed, though I have a feeling I've seen it on one of the previous community builds.

Not sure what I did differently, if anything, but this evening I had no trouble setting up my various email accounts in SFOS. Possibly I used IMAP this time (habitually use POP3), but fairly sure I tried that the other day as well.

Either way that's one thing off of the list :classic_biggrin:

On 1/23/2020 at 11:49 AM, Craig said:

Installing elros34's ubu_chroot package opens up the ability to run ubuntu apps, not limited to chromium and open libreoffice.  Work is being done to improve basics too, at some point it wont be Alpha, but indeed it is rough around the edges now, but usable. 

Decided to put sailfish on to have a play around.  Not used it before so was a bit unsure how to install this?  Well got stuck with the fact git is not available after install and didn't know where to get it from 😄

17 hours ago, epninety said:

Git is available, built by NielDK, at openrepos.net

Download and install storeman for sailfish from the openrepos page, then use that to search for git.

(Storeman is at https://openrepos.net/sites/default/files/packages/6416/harbour-storeman-0.1.8-1.armv7hl.rpm)

Thanks for this info got both installed now. 

I keep forgetting to pull down to get screen options so took a bit to find out how to install 😄 

So tonight's task install ubu_chroot 👍 

1 hour ago, epninety said:

I installed ubu_chroot and chromium yesterday after I replied to your post. Impressive how a handheld device runs a full fat web browser smoother than some of my PCs :classic_biggrin:

Good to know as the default browser is really irritating me lol.  I'm doing this as an experiment to see what I am missing that I need from my phone day to day.  It's going to fail with banking as I use monzo currently but I can just swap provider to one that works on it 😉