[Community Build][3.3.0.16][Updated 18th Aug] Sailfish OS for Fxtec Pro1

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated 18 Aug 2020: Updated flashable package to 3.3.0.16. Many thanks to Adam Pigg who has fixed many bugs and implemented many featured including fingerprint reader and encrypting user data, which

Regarding sailfish, the port is certainly still in development and has not stalled.  I use it as my daily driver with few issues. The latest releases are available from the continuous integration

PSA Updating to Sailfish 3.4 The update to Sailfish 3.4 on the Pro1 is much anticipated.  Not only will it bring the great features in 3.4, but it also bring encrypted home partition for added secur

Posted Images

PSA Updating to Sailfish 3.4
The update to Sailfish 3.4 on the Pro1 is much anticipated.  Not only will it bring the great features in 3.4, but it also bring encrypted home partition for added security of your data.

While this is a great feature, it is also not straight forward to implement, requiring a completely different style of installation to previous releases.

Because of this, it is not possible to upgrade an existing 3.3 release to 3.4.  The 3.4 release must be flashed onto the phone, after which it will be possible to restore any backups taken.

Trying to force an upgrade from 3.3 to 3.4 will certainly result in a soft-bricked device, requiring a re-flash, so do not do it!

The burden of trying to maintain 2 seperate builds of the OS is impractical, so it is best to just "bite the bullet" and do the flash.

The upgrade to 3.4 will be available in the coming days now that it is generally available for porters.

Regards

Adam (piggz) and the SFOS Porters

• Like 5
  • Thanks 8

Thanks for the heads-up. I may give SFOS another try at some point.

On my last test, I was driven away by the completely outdated stock browser-engine, as well as by the non-availabilty of more recent web-browsers in the reops.

Now, the new version (3.4) ships with Gecko 52 according to the release notes. While this may be a significant improvement over the previous state, it is still ridiculously outdated considering that Internet access is THE most important feature in a smartphone (at least IMHO). Jolla need to get this lack of an up-to-date web browser fixed once and for all -- otherwise I see no future for the platform.

Let me emphasise that I very much appreciate the architecture and philosophy of SFOS otherwise. But, If I simply wanted a full-featured UNIX on my phone "just" lacking a decent web browser, I could as well continue to use my N900 ...

Edited by claude0001
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Different users, different usage patterns. When i tried out SFOS I do not recall if I even opened the browser.

It was the first thing I tried -- because I knew that the browser situation in SFOS would be problematic.

When you read about SFOS you quickly realise that this is a long-standing issue: Jolla seems to not have the resources to keep up with browser development (which is quite a task, I acknowledge). Things are made worse by the fact that their core community is on "official" devices, which allow to simply run Android Firefox via the compatibility layer. As a consequence, also the community have little interest in developing or porting a better native browser.

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1
4 hours ago, claude0001 said:

It was the first thing I tried -- because I knew that the browser situation in SFOS would be problematic.

When you read about SFOS you quickly realise that this is a long-standing issue: Jolla seems to not have the resources to keep up with browser development (which is quite a task, I acknowledge). Things are made worse by the fact that their core community is on "official" devices, which allow to simply run Android Firefox via the compatibility layer. As a consequence, also the community have little interest in developing or porting a better native browser.

Its getting a lot better.  3.4 updates the engine to esr52, and the next release updates again to esr60

• Thanks 2
On 11/22/2020 at 3:19 PM, piggz said:

Its getting a lot better.  3.4 updates the engine to esr52, and the next release updates again to esr60

As I said, Gecko 52 ESR may be a big improvement over the engine in SFOS 3.3, but they are still failing to catch up.

Gecko 52esr was released in 2017, since then we've had 60esr, 68esr and 78esr. 91esr will probably have been released (scheduled for July 2021) by the time Jolla adopts 60esr.

The technical reason for this seemingly lost race is that SFOS's build environment (gcc, libc, Qt and all that) lags behind the average Linux distribution, so that recent versions of some programs (like Gecko) cannot be built (easily).

Do not get me wrong -- I like the fact that SailfishOS is around, but for (business?) reasons I do not understand, Jolla try to do "their own thing" instead of basing their distribution on one of the big players (like Debian or CentOS). Wouldn't doing so remove the need to play catch-up on things (like gcc) that most (desktop) Linux users do not even perceive as a potential compatibility problem, because the big distributions just pick them up fast enough?

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 1

SailfishOS 3.4 for the Pro1

Its here at last, SailfishOS 3.4 for the Pro1!

NOTE: DO NOT OTA UPDATE FROM 3.3 YOU MUST REFLASH

This update is exciting as it brings full home folder encryption to you device, just like official devices, improving your privacy, along with all the other features of SailfishOS 3.4.

Becuase of the device encryption, it is nescessary to flash, and the method of flashing is different that before (but easier).

To install this release, download it from:
https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/t5-ci/-/jobs

Prerequisites:
*A linux machine
*fastboot tool installed

You want to download the latest "run-build-lvm-testing" version, do not use the "run-build-lvm-devel" version, that is for developers, and there is no guarantee that version wont break randomly.

When you have downloaded, extract the artifact.zip, and the .zip inside it.  
Using a command prompt navigate to the folder.
Put the phone into fastboot mode
Execute the flash.sh script as root (sudo sh flash.sh)
After flashed, reboot the phone (sudo fastboot reboot)

Now enjoy your updated device!

Discuss on telegram: https://t.me/sfos_user_pro1

• Like 2
  • Thanks 8
  • 1 month later...

@piggz and the SFOS Porters, thank you for the build! Very much appreciated.

dumb question;

between running 3.3 and flashing 3.4, I flashed the factory image 20200825 that Waxberry has in his post at community.fxtec.com . That included `fastboot flash boot_a …` and `fastboot flash boot_b …`.

Do I need to put TWRP back on my device or will it function fine with just `hybris-boot.img` in `boot_a` (which `flash.sh` kindly did for me)?

side note: I have nothing against TWRP, I use it on a couple devices, I just wonder if I need it on my Pro¹ since I seem to never have used in on that phone except for the initial SFOS flashing from µSD-card. I see the value of TWRP based backup on some devices but have not backed up my Pro¹ with SFOS that way.

Edited by pcfe
missing word added
20 hours ago, pcfe said:

@piggz and the SFOS Porters, thank you for the build! Very much appreciated.

dumb question;

[...]

doh! :facepalm: nevermind,

I had forgotten that this device and SFOS always did that (no TWRP on device after SFOS was put on[1]), sorry for the noise.

pcfe

[1] https://gist.github.com/Kabouik/f77539b3eb6a77b032d2fa827271b81d#backup-sfos-using-twrp--beware-not-tested-on-sfos-image-with-lvm-encryption

On 11/23/2020 at 9:18 PM, piggz said:

NOTE: DO NOT OTA UPDATE FROM 3.3 YOU MUST REFLASH

This update is exciting as it brings full home folder encryption to you device, just like official devices, improving your privacy, along with all the other features of SailfishOS 3.4.

Becuase of the device encryption, it is nescessary to flash, and the method of flashing is different that before (but easier).

To install this release, download it from:
https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/t5-ci/-/jobs

Prerequisites:
*A linux machine
*fastboot tool installed

You want to download the latest "run-build-lvm-testing" version, do not use the "run-build-lvm-devel" version, that is for developers, and there is no guarantee that version wont break randomly.

When you have downloaded, extract the artifact.zip, and the .zip inside it.  
Using a command prompt navigate to the folder.
Put the phone into fastboot mode

Now enjoy your updated device!

Discuss on telegram: https://t.me/sfos_user_pro1

Are these instructions suitable for someone running Lineage OS, or were they just meant for people already on the earlier version of Sailfish OS?

I ask because I followed them but the phone wont boot past the very first screen with two logos (FxTec [top] and Sailfish OS [bottom]).

I've basically wrecked the phone again haven't I!?

Edited by jamescarruthers
18 hours ago, epninety said:

I had to flash back to stock android (ugh!) after trying UBPorts, but installing SFOS 3.4 directly from stock android was no problem.

I've always reset to stock as well before trying anything else.  Mainly as the instructions assume you are on stock for each of them.  

• Thanks 1
On 11/23/2020 at 10:18 PM, piggz said:

To install this release, download it from: https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/t5-ci/-/jobs

Exactly how long after flashing and doing `sudo fastboot reboot` should I wait before announcing my current flashing attempt as failed?

I downloaded `run-build-lvm-testing` from the latest `master` job: https://gitlab.com/sailfishos-porters-ci/t5-ci/-/pipelines/221095742

Nevermind: I just read the stock vs Ubuntu Touch report above. Reverting to stock first.

So after installing stock first using this guide:

I now have Sailfish OS 3.4.0.24 running.

Edited by aerique
Read new info on my issue.

The maximum volume of the speaker is somewhat low compared to other phones that I have. Is this a hardware limitation or can this be fixed in the software?

(Or is this just my phone.)

Also, adaptive brightness in a fully dark room does not go as low as when I disable it and just turn down the brightness of the display.

Edited by aerique
14 hours ago, aerique said:

The maximum volume of the speaker is somewhat low compared to other phones that I have. Is this a hardware limitation or can this be fixed in the software?

(Or is this just my phone.)

Also, adaptive brightness in a fully dark room does not go as low as when I disable it and just turn down the brightness of the display.

This is true on my phone on Sailfish too.

16 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

This is true on my phone on Sailfish too.

Do you mean the earpiece or handsfree mode?

Anyway, just curious which speaker produces sound in handsfree mode?
Also curious do you also have the green-tint problem at dark brightness under Sailfish OS (like on stock).
(So I am just curious if it has the same behaviour under Sailfish OS like under stock OS.)

1 hour ago, VaZso said:

Do you mean the earpiece or handsfree mode?

Anyway, just curious which speaker produces sound in handsfree mode?
Also curious do you also have the green-tint problem at dark brightness under Sailfish OS (like on stock).
(So I am just curious if it has the same behaviour under Sailfish OS like under stock OS.)

At dark brightness it definitely looks "special", so I might have what you describe.  Can you elaborate?

(BTW I meant the earpiece.)

12 minutes ago, aerique said:

At dark brightness it definitely looks "special", so I might have what you describe.  Can you elaborate?

(BTW I meant the earpiece.)

See in this thread.

Anyway, interesting that you find the volume of your earpiece a bit low while we find it is too loud using stock OS (I had to turn the slider to minimum level to be usable and it also can easily produce distorted sound at maximum volume level).
So if there is no misunderstanding, both problems could be solved in software I think. 🙂