Jump to content

[Community Build][3.3.0.16][Updated 18th Aug] Sailfish OS for Fxtec Pro1


Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Updated 18 Aug 2020: Updated flashable package to 3.3.0.16. Many thanks to Adam Pigg who has fixed many bugs and implemented many featured including fingerprint reader and encrypting user data, which

Regarding sailfish, the port is certainly still in development and has not stalled.  I use it as my daily driver with few issues. The latest releases are available from the continuous integration

PSA Updating to Sailfish 3.4 The update to Sailfish 3.4 on the Pro1 is much anticipated.  Not only will it bring the great features in 3.4, but it also bring encrypted home partition for added secur

Posted Images

Mobile data should be fixed now. If anyone has SailfishOS already installed, please update packages by doing:

zypper ref
zypper update

Newly CI built image should not need this, but it will take some time to finish and get first post updated.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

Just to make sure I got it right: when I receive my Pro¹, I do not need to make a backup before trying to flash SFOS, because the files to restore the Pro¹ to factory state are available for download elsewhere, right?

Also, has anyone tried the procedure with µSD cards larger than 32 GB? Mine is 128 GB, formatted to ext4, not sure that'll work.

Edited by matf
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Been a day on Android after years on SailfishOS, I am deeply missing  SailfishOS, I am going to be patient and not really in the position to test, however, when Jolla supports it with android (damn you whatsapp and signal) then I will jump back! Looking forward to it... let's us know what support, moral or otherwise is needed!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, matf said:

Just to make sure I got it right: when I receive my Pro¹, I do not need to make a backup before trying to flash SFOS, because the files to restore the Pro¹ to factory state are available for download elsewhere, right?

Also, has anyone tried the procedure with µSD cards larger than 32 GB? Mine is 128 GB, formatted to ext4, not sure that'll work.

Factory restore files are available, yes.

On the card sizes I cannot comment.

Link to post
Share on other sites

A note to anyone updating Sailfish through the OBS repository: please flash the kernel after updating packages through pkcon/zypper. Currently it is not done automatically (needs to be investigated, can be a problem with https://github.com/sailfish-on-fxtecpro1/droid-config-t5/tree/master/sparse/var/lib/flash-partition). It can be done with the following command: 

dd if=/boot/hybris-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a

The recent change was switching from userdebug to user build for Android adaptation bits (same as stock firmware), which uses different kernel config with lots of debug options disabled and greatly improves bootup time and overall performance. There is newly built CI image which has it already included, but otherwise updating packages and flashing kernel as described above should work for existing installations.

(Reposting from TMO for those who follow the topic here instead)

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

When my Pro1 arrives, does I need to unlock the bootloader, or the Pro1 will arrive unlocked?
Can I unbox the Pro1 and start directly with flashing TWRP, wiping the Android and installing SFOS, without booting in Android at all?

Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, octane said:

When my Pro1 arrives, does I need to unlock the bootloader, or the Pro1 will arrive unlocked?
Can I unbox the Pro1 and start directly with flashing TWRP, wiping the Android and installing SFOS, without booting in Android at all?

You will have to unlock it, according to this post.

Quote

For future units the default setting of bootloader will be locked and device will show certified by default. Only the users who got the device now will need to do the re-lock to activate SafetyNet.

 

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Indeed, now it is required to unlock the phone first.

Anyway, after having unlocking it, when I try to flash SFOS on the Pro1 I have this

[[email protected] fxpro1]# fastboot set_active a
Setting current slot to 'a'                        FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
fastboot: error: Command failed
[[email protected] fxpro1]# fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-qx1000.img
Sending 'boot' (31768 KB)                          FAILED (Status read failed (No such device))
fastboot: error: Command failed

The command "fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-qx1000.img" fails when I load the recovery mode. If I don't load it, nothing happens. Am I missing something ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes it works fine and show me the serial number of my Pro1.

For more informations, I have "fastboot version 29.0.5-2" and I'm with Archlinux

 

EDIT : as some others have noticed, the compatibility is not good with USB 3.0 ports. With an USB 2.0 port, it worked fine.

Edited by Astaoth
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, mosen said:

Just to complete with a follow up, the error was rooted in using USB 3.0 Port.
As soon as @Astaoth used a USB 2.0 Port via a docking station, the flashing process worked as expected

I have had no problems flashing the pro1 with fastboot trough one of my USB 3 ports, but this is on FreeBSD so kindof a weird case. I'd think it should work on USB3 but software being quirky as it is, it's probably hit or miss.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, netman said:

I have had no problems flashing the pro1 with fastboot trough one of my USB 3 ports, but this is on FreeBSD so kindof a weird case. I'd think it should work on USB3 but software being quirky as it is, it's probably hit or miss.

Then there's me.....my machines are old enough I'm not sure I own a USB3 port. Haha! My favorite machine is a Dell T5400, which is a server jammed in a desktop case, essentially. It's well over 10 years old but still screaming fast. It was cutting edge at the time, and it's still very respectable. I'm hoping the Clack ages so gracefully. 🙂 I actually believe it will.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2020 at 10:10 PM, Astaoth said:

Indeed, now it is required to unlock the phone first.

Anyway, after having unlocking it, when I try to flash SFOS on the Pro1 I have this

[[email protected] fxpro1]# fastboot set_active a
Setting current slot to 'a'                        FAILED (remote: 'unknown command')
fastboot: error: Command failed
[[email protected] fxpro1]# fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-qx1000.img
Sending 'boot' (31768 KB)                          FAILED (Status read failed (No such device))
fastboot: error: Command failed

The command "fastboot flash boot twrp-3.3.1-qx1000.img" fails when I load the recovery mode. If I don't load it, nothing happens. Am I missing something ?

The commands are for the Linux based PC that is connected to your Pro1, not for the Pro1 itself.

I have flashed my Pro1 with Sailfish. adb is not working for me at all, fastboot works with USB3 port perfect (i have used it for the higher current to charge the phone faster). I have flashed the twrp. The only issue is that in TWRP you need to unmpunt the data partition. If you don't unmount it before installing the zip image, the script will be unable to mount the data partition (becouse allready mounted) and the flashing of SFOS will fail.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have very bad experience with updating of build sailfishos-t5-release-3.2.0.12-devel-20191119.zip

1st scenario: Install Storemann and with Storemann install any program. Result: Storeman is updating the phone and after reboot, cellular, wifi and bluetooth ar not working anymore.

 

2nd scenario: update with: zypper ref; zypper update; dd if=/boot/hybris-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a result: no cellular, bt not checked, wifi works

Beware when updating sailfishos-t5-release-3.2.0.12-devel-20191119.zip

Now I am flashing the
sailfishos-t5-release-3.2.0.12-devel-20191218.zip

PS: Storeman is able to brick the cellular of sailfishos-t5-release-3.2.0.12-devel-20191218.zip too. Something from the repository is braking the cellular functionality of our Pro1s! Maybe update with zypper will break the cellular functionality (cals and data) too.

Edited by octane
additional info
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, I experienced something similar.  If you start with the 3.2.0.12 release then zypper update, you'll loose mobile data/sim cards.

The fix is to update to 3.2.1.20 right away, following these steps (recommended by TheKit):

devel-su
ssu re 3.2.1.20
version --dup
dd if=/boot/hybris-boot.img of=/dev/block/bootdevice/by-name/boot_a
sed -e "s/return allowed/return Orientation.All/" -i  /usr/lib/qt5/qml/Sailfish/Silica/Page.qml
Edited by Craig
added su per mosens reminder
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Soo, since the Sailfish version will take some time, I took a look at SFOS and stumbled over this article: https://sailfishmods.de/2019/04/fxtec-pro1-mit-sailfish-os/

In there it says "Der Fingerprint wird allerdings nicht mit der CV funktionieren, da dieses Feature nur für Sailfish X Geräte freigegeben wird." which translates to "The fingerprint functionality will not be available in the community version, as this feature is exclusive to the Sailfish X devices". Is that true?

Why does SFOS have these weird limitations on the community version? It can't run Android programs, it can't operate a fingerprint scanner - are there other limitations? This is just weird and confusing.

 

Edited by SteffenWi
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, SteffenWi said:

Soo, since the Sailfish version will take some time, I took a look at SFOS and stumbled over this article: https://sailfishmods.de/2019/04/fxtec-pro1-mit-sailfish-os/

In there it says "Der Fingerprint wird allerdings nicht mit der CV funktionieren, da dieses Feature nur für Sailfish X Geräte freigegeben wird." which translates to "The fingerprint functionality will not be available in the community version, as this feature is exclusive to the Sailfish X devices". Is that true?

Why does SFOS have these weird limitations on the community version? It can't run Android programs, it can't operate a fingerprint scanner - are there other limitations? This is just weird and confusing.

 

I'm learning all this along with you, but yes, there are other things that work on paid vs that dont work on community version

image.thumb.png.4c17862e704217d2705b5ee1a27885f1.png

https://jolla.com/sailfishx/

Sailfish OS is not FOSS.  It's mainly free and open source, except the lipstick user interface (which is in the community ports but closed source) and those additional features jolla sells as noted in table above.

Edited by Craig
  • Sad 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Craig said:

I'm learning all this along with you, but yes, there are other things that work on paid vs that dont work on community version

Thanks for this! I had planned to play around with Sailfish bit now I will not...

I fully understand that some features are charged for, but they COULD offer the features limitation turned off for €50 (or perhaps more fairly slightly reduced) also for phones they themselves do not support (yet).

The blocking of the Android apps and the usage of a fingerprint reader renders the whole thing a developer sandbox, and not something usable.

So for now I will ignore Sailfish until Pro1 at some point might be officially supported. Or they add some way to buy in these basics.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms