15 minutes ago, TeZtdevice said:

After 4 software bricks (android accomodation), I stopped using my Pro1.

Without TWRP, I can not use the Pro1 as my new dialy driver.
Well, I have to wait for it.
I hope @tdm or any other dev will find a way to decrypt android.

Bye Pro1, hello again Moto Z Play

I don't know how you managed to brick 4 times.  And neither do I understand how TWRP backups are so important.  Once you get the device running what you want, how does it brick again?

Anyway .. I should eventually get TWRP running with decrypt.  Like hopefully within a few weeks.  Especially since the new ROMs I'm working on don't have a nice slick recovery like Lineage.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I use XPrivacyLUA to cntroll the applications rights and swift backup to import my cloud backups from my moto.
My last brick was, I restored a app (called FolderSync) and at the same time I import a backup of XPrivacyLUA and after a reboot, LOS doesn´t boot anymore.
That´s not important, tdm 🙂 You do a fantastic job!
It takes to much time for me, to restore every app again and again with customs sounds, custom led notification, for some apps, etc.
I have a lot of backups for the most of my apps, but I don´t like to do this anymore.
I was wating 3.5 years for a KB phone, now the Pro1 has to wait for TWRP 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, tdm said:

I don't know how you managed to brick 4 times.  And neither do I understand how TWRP backups are so important.  Once you get the device running what you want, how does it brick again?

Anyway .. I should eventually get TWRP running with decrypt.  Like hopefully within a few weeks.  Especially since the new ROMs I'm working on don't have a nice slick recovery like Lineage.

Yeah, these posts always confuse me. 

If TWRP is so important, maybe research what you're buying? 

Or better yet, use a root back up.

Weird

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 1/4/2021 at 4:06 PM, SteffenWi said:

Is there any update on TWRP? What is needed for it to work on the pro1? I kinda need it apparently.

I've been quite busy with other things lately.  Why do you need it, and why won't the existing one (the one used for sailfish install) work?

3 minutes ago, tdm said:

I've been quite busy with other things lately.  Why do you need it, and why won't the existing one (the one used for sailfish install) work?

For me, it is mostly for backups, flash and build in file manager where you can revert changes when you make some errors and mistakes (example: broken xposed module).

• Like 1
Just now, Laska said:

For me, it is mostly for backups, flash and build in file manager where you can revert changes when you make some errors and mistakes (example: broken xposed module).

Yes, backup and restore is far and away the biggest thing people want out of TWRP over and above the "standard" recovery.

The main thing I'm working on now is an archiver.  It will be able to backup and restore directly from Android, no recovery required.  Among other things, it will feature compression, encryption, incremental backups, and both local / remote storage.  And it will work on any Linux system, not just Android.  I plan to use on my own systems once it's working well.

• Thanks 7
5 minutes ago, tdm said:

Yes, backup and restore is far and away the biggest thing people want out of TWRP over and above the "standard" recovery.

The main thing I'm working on now is an archiver.  It will be able to backup and restore directly from Android, no recovery required.  Among other things, it will feature compression, encryption, incremental backups, and both local / remote storage.  And it will work on any Linux system, not just Android.  I plan to use on my own systems once it's working well.

Thank you very much for your great work. But how exactly will it work? And how restoring process will look like? From PC or from the device itself?

19 hours ago, Laska said:

Thank you very much for your great work. But how exactly will it work? And how restoring process will look like? From PC or from the device itself?

Well, the standard Unix-y part of it will be a CLI tool with arguments more or less like tar.  But the backup and restore arguments will likely be limited to block devices and directories, though that is not certain  yet.  Block devices will be backed up as a single unit of data (as you would get with "dd") and directories will be backed up recursively (as you would get with "tar").  It will also have a client/server mode similar to rsync, which will communicate over sockets (meaning remote backups are possible without using tools like stdio pipes or sshfs etc.)

Android will surely use the client/server mode in order to get the appropriate permissions for backup and restore.  The backup will ideally be accessible from recovery, so this means an unencrypted directory under /data and providing a statically linked version of the tool.

After the CLI is working, I plan to write a simple app to drive it.  Not sure exactly how that will look yet.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, tdm said:

Well, the standard Unix-y part of it will be a CLI tool with arguments more or less like tar.  But the backup and restore arguments will likely be limited to block devices and directories, though that is not certain  yet.  Block devices will be backed up as a single unit of data (as you would get with "dd") and directories will be backed up recursively (as you would get with "tar").  It will also have a client/server mode similar to rsync, which will communicate over sockets (meaning remote backups are possible without using tools like stdio pipes or sshfs etc.)

Android will surely use the client/server mode in order to get the appropriate permissions for backup and restore.  The backup will ideally be accessible from recovery, so this means an unencrypted directory under /data and providing a statically linked version of the tool.

After the CLI is working, I plan to write a simple app to drive it.  Not sure exactly how that will look yet.

I just can't wait.

Also, is there any way to decrypt data partition for the same reason?

48 minutes ago, Laska said:

I just can't wait.

Think one of the reasons hes doing this as a CLI type tool is data will be decrypted (as it reads the files direct on device not external) before sending to the backup so you have the data unencrypted.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Laska said:

I just can't wait.

Not currently.  If I could decrypt data, I'd have a decrypting TWRP released by now. 🙂

I am hoping that backing up an FBE encrypted data partition (eg. while in recovery) and then restoring it in the same environment will work.  But I have to test that out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
On 1/6/2021 at 1:23 AM, tdm said:

Hey, hope you had a couple nice days and a happy new year 😉

I need it to be able to flash /e/ as it seems. When I try to flash from a LineageOS recovery iso I get a weird error. Apparently that doesn't happen with TWRP.

6 hours ago, SteffenWi said:

Hey, hope you had a couple nice days and a happy new year 😉

I need it to be able to flash /e/ as it seems. When I try to flash from a LineageOS recovery iso I get a weird error. Apparently that doesn't happen with TWRP.

Setting aside that /e/ is basically a rip-off of LineageOS, the TWRP referenced in the Sailfish thread should work for this purpose.  If not, perhaps @Sean McCreary or another developer can help.  I simply don't have the time or desire to build TWRP right now.

21 hours ago, tdm said:

Setting aside that /e/ is basically a rip-off of LineageOS, the TWRP referenced in the Sailfish thread should work for this purpose.  If not, perhaps @Sean McCreary or another developer can help.  I simply don't have the time or desire to build TWRP right now.

Hey that's fine 🙂 I didn't know you were (again 😉 ) the only one to work on it.

As for /e/ - I find it unfair of you to call it a 'rip-off'. For one you can't "rip-off" an open-source project [unless you talk about violating the license covering it]. You fork it. Which is what /e/ is. A fork. With a lot of stuff that, a few years ago, were in LineageOS/CyanogenMod. All of which was removed from LineageOS over time. Default, built-in root? Removed. Ability to fake or obfuscate geolocation? Removed. On top of all of that, /e/ is an actual no-google-spy stuff distribution.

Edited by SteffenWi
  • Like 1
  • 2 months later...