The Pro1, coming from a N900: the good the bad and the WTF

16 minutes ago, abielins said:

Could you try launching the activity "com.android.systemui.recent.action.TOGGLE_RECENTS"? You can use an Activity Launcher app like this one to do so: https://f-droid.org/en/packages/de.szalkowski.activitylauncher/

EDIT: It seems like Activity Launcher can no longer launch arbitrary activities... Investigating.

I can launch the activity, but when attempting to crate a shortcut it does not appear on the homescreen (nor app list).
(it is launched disregarding the selected dark theme though)

Output from similar app

Application: Quickstep
Activity: Quickstep
Package/Class: com.android.launcher3/com.android.launcher3.shortcut_manager.AllShortcutActivity
Goole Play: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.launcher3

--
This information is exported by QuickShortcutMaker v2.4.0.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.sika524.android.quickshortcut

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I have experienced those as well... , when we designed the internal I made USB board separately from main board. It's on a mini PCB so replacing it would be cheap as you don't need to change CPU, memo

Hi Have 8 Nokia E7 all working. the usb ports were killing it. but then i found a solution, i bought magnetic usb adaptors and glue them to usb port. since then never had any issue with usb

(Just for comparison, this is how it looks with the default launcher) Edit: Added a few extra icons making the two blocks clearer

Posted Images

36 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I can launch the activity, but when attempting to crate a shortcut it does not appear on the homescreen (nor app list).
(it is launched disregarding the selected dark theme though)

Interesting! So it's almost working! I wonder how you can add arbitrary shortcuts to the homescreen...

• Like 1
22 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

I guess last resort a simple app could be created to do this 😄

Yeah, any takers? But more seriously, it ought to be added to the launcher app. Ether as a widget, or as a shortcut, we can place on the homescreen

I'd be curious to hear from anyone with experience with Nova Launcher what would be lost with switching launchers?  Are the keyboard shortcuts, for instance, part of the launcher or in settings.  What exactly is optimized for Landscape?  Nova handles landscape for the launcher just fine, but can't enforce it on apps.  What are the advantages of Fx Tec's stock launcher?  No hurry, I don't have my Pro 1 yet (which is why I'm asking you folks 😉).

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Hook said:

I'd be curious to hear from anyone with experience with Nova Launcher what would be lost with switching launchers?  Are the keyboard shortcuts, for instance, part of the launcher or in settings.  What exactly is optimized for Landscape?  Nova handles landscape for the launcher just fine, but can't enforce it on apps.  What are the advantages of Fx Tec's stock launcher?  No hurry, I don't have my Pro 1 yet (which is why I'm asking you folks 😉).

Just tried, and Autorotate, well the function is there, but as they seem to assume the same icon grid, rotating the icons in the grid, and stretching the grid, When it looks OK in Portrait, in landscape extremely spaced in one direction, and cramped together in the other (Or vice versa) - but not unusable. All the functionality is there, and with Ctrl+Arrow you can jump around the screens.

An oddity with keyboard navigation is that you have to leave one of the the left most column spaces free as arrow-navigating there in landscape BOTH marks that empty space and the icon in the launch-bar, and from there with Tab / Sh+Tab or Right/Left(!!) to move Down/up, you can get to the others... That does not look like it had been tested.... But sure one could get used to it, after finding a strategic placement of the icons, and a compromise grid-size.

Both long and short letter/digit key presses are ignored, not jumping to relevant shortcut, and not trying to launch

I'm not over enthusiastic, but it can be used.

Screenshot_20191121-224528.thumb.png.bcb0becc53766e6626183ad72b53d8bb.png

Screenshot_20191121-224515.thumb.png.6e0bc6ab702a918a41293cd041b16bde.png

On the default launcher we got two about square icon-block (with my current settings 5x4 icon-slots), and on rotate each block rotates, but stay in the same half of the display. A MUCH better solution. IMHO

• Thanks 2

A question that evolves from these screenshots...

Does "for landscape optimized" Android mean that the App drawer still sits on the right instead of allowing the user to accessing it from the bottom?

That seems counter-intuitive (although may won't affect me since I use so little apps).

4 hours ago, SchattengestaIt said:

A question that evolves from these screenshots...

Does "for landscape optimized" Android mean that the App drawer still sits on the right instead of allowing the user to accessing it from the bottom?

That seems counter-intuitive (although may won't affect me since I use so little apps).

In Nova yes, (but it is placed at the bottom left on the default Launcher)

Got me wondering I've been using  the Microsoft launcher recently (blackberry launcher kept hanging after update).  What is that like in landscape mode?

Also the long key press shortcut is part of launcher so it would need that functionality.  Well I lost that support on my keyone when I switched launcher.

On 11/21/2019 at 12:45 AM, VaZso said:

This kind of stylus is quite good anyway (even though of being a capacitive stylus), however, it is not as handy as it has to be placed separately and not somewhere in the housing of the phone.

Thanks - the precision point on that one looks just the job... If only there was some way of using a wacom pen I'd be made up :)

To enable sticky keys you need to be rooted, but then it is rather easy.

Go to /system/usr/local/keychars. In this folder there should be a file called Vendor_XXXX_Product_XXXX.kcm, where the XXXX are two sets of four hexadecimal digits.

Since I don't have the pro1 I don't know how they are called. If there is more than one of these, open them up and try to find if it says someting like "Built-in keyboard" at the beginning of the file.

In this file look for a line starting with the word "type" (without quotation marks). Change this line so that it reads "type ALPHA" (again, without the quotation marks).

Save the file and reboot, now shift should be sticky.

Change it to "type FULL" if you don't want sticky keys.

If you have Magisk, it would be very easy to make a Magisk module for that.

• Thanks 1
  • 8 months later...
On 11/28/2019 at 2:18 PM, EskeRahn said:

They already supports the Pro1 http://android.onse.fi/finqwerty/pro1.html

So it definitely would be a nice option to have.

🙂

what is the status of this request for unrooted phones under stock? It would be good to have the option to activate "sticky left shift" on keyboard to capitalise just one letter (until the letter is typed; as opposed to locked caps "arrow down"). I realise that I am really used to type that way and have trouble pressing shift and letter at the same time to capitalize.

Edited by OKSun
5 hours ago, OKSun said:

what is the status of this request for unrooted phones under stock?

Not doable. Your best bet would be to look at virtual keyboards. Swift Key for instance can optionally do auto-capitalization.

• Thanks 1
On 8/9/2020 at 6:07 PM, OKSun said:

what is the status of this request for unrooted phones under stock? It would be good to have the option to activate "sticky left shift" on keyboard to capitalise just one letter (until the letter is typed; as opposed to locked caps "arrow down"). I realise that I am really used to type that way and have trouble pressing shift and letter at the same time to capitalize.

Thanks.

Auto-capitalisation is probably indeed my best bet. It is however not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted "sticky left shift" as a option.

Is it possible under Lineage OS? 

All my previous droid and photon sliders had this sticky left shift. It would have to relearn typing.

33 minutes ago, OKSun said:

Thanks.

Auto-capitalisation is probably indeed my best bet. It is however not exactly what I was looking for. I wanted "sticky left shift" as a option.

Is it possible under Lineage OS? 

All my previous droid and photon sliders had this sticky left shift. It would have to relearn typing.

Lineage has sticky shift.  Works from either shift key, right or left.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, agent008 said:

How to activate it?

I'm on LOS and am also missing the sticky shift.

Thanks

Honestly, I don't know.  It just works with the physical keyboard.  I don't see a specific setting for it either on keyboard settings or the settings for the AOSP keyboard (which is the soft keyboard I use).

I do notice it doesn't work for some reason in the Fulguris browser, but works in Firefox and all the writing apps I use.

Edited by Hook
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, agent008 said:

Hmm. I found AOSP keyboard on apkmirror, installed it.

It just crashed every time. Oh well...

I use MindTheGapps.  It may be better for integrating AOSP apps.  I don't use many Google apps, but they install fine from the store and, bonus, aren't installed as system apps. May not work as well the other way around,

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Hook said:

I use MindTheGapps.  It may be better for integrating AOSP apps.  I don't use many Google apps, but they install fine from the store and, bonus, aren't installed as system apps. May not work as well the other way around,

Yeah, each one has pros and cons. I chose OpenGapps for GCam. Snapdragon camera got to my nerves after 2 days of Stock ROM.