Jump to content
Wasmachineman_NL

The Pro1, coming from a N900: the good the bad and the WTF

Recommended Posts

As some of you might know, i'm a die-hard Nokia N900 user, and going from that to the Pro1 has been a culture shock. Android instead of Maemo, a radically different keyboard layout, the much faster sd835 CPU and so on.

But, there are things I miss, like:

  • Being able to unlock the device without using the lockscreen, like pressing the power button twice
  • Not being able to unlock the device by touching the display after it autolocks
  • No proper Notes app like osso-notes on the N900
  • No sticky modifier keys like sticky Left Shift
  • Worst part of it all: NO ROCKBOX /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

But, there are things I miss,

Doesn't double tap wakes up the device like in N9?
As far as I remember well, I have seen this function demonstrated on Pro1 earlier.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Doesn't double tap wakes up the device like in N9?
As far as I remember well, I have seen this function demonstrated on Pro1 earlier.

Double tap activates the camera instead of unlocking the device.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Double tap activates the camera instead of unlocking the device.

Double tap can usually have it's settings changed but i've not had stock android in a phone but on most there is a lock screen section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same, so I brought it two Nokia and they repaired it. Dunno if they did something different but after the 2nd replacement it just kept working 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, abielins said:

I didn't think any N900 devices were even still in use. The USB port issue killed the two I own.

On my N900 phones USB port still work well. However, 32GB eMMC flash have worn out (unreachable).

I have two of them running well (however a bit slower) where rootfs is on internal 256MB storage and the rest is on microSD cards, another one of them (which was my original one) could be repaired the same way but I wanted to reach user data without success, and the last one has working eMMC but hardware became unstable before I switched to another phone.

I got one of my N900s with eMMC fault and after I could "repair" it, I have bought another faulty N900 as spare as it was cheap in that state (also with eMMC fault)...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, abielins said:

I didn't think any N900 devices were even still in use. The USB port issue killed the two I own.

Hi Have 8 Nokia E7 all working.

the usb ports were killing it.

but then i found a solution, i bought magnetic usb adaptors and glue them to usb port. since then never had any issue with usb ports.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Double tap activates the camera instead of unlocking the device.

There is a "tap to wake" setting, under Display, that is Off by default. It works fine if you turn it on here.... 😉

How you set it to wake the camera I do not know.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

There is a "tap to wake" setting, under Display, that is Off by default. It works fine if you turn it on here.... 😉

How you set it to wake the camera I do not know.

Factory default.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also would like closing the slider to turning off the screen (like power button). But please as an option, as not all might like that.

Then we can select the lock-delay under Security, The cogwheel next to Screen Lock, Automatic lock, e.g. 5 sec, that should be more than enough to press the power button, double tap or reopen, before the password protection kicks in.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Factory default.

Oh, then I must have some setting that turned that off, that follows when I restore. No Idea where I've changed that.... Will try to see if I an find it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, kashif said:

but then i found a solution, i bought magnetic usb adaptors and glue them to usb port. since then never had any issue with usb ports.

well i gonna do same to my Pro1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Being able to unlock the device without using the lockscreen, like pressing the power button twice

You can disable lock screen and use the phone without pin or pattern code. Then you are able to "unlock" with just pressing the power button. If you want to use lock screen you should be able to unlock with fingerprint sensor only. No need to press buttons.

2 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Not being able to unlock the device by touching the display after it autolocks

Some Android phones have double tap to unlock feature but it seems that it is missing from Pro1? Maybe it can be implemented with custom kernel?

Edit: This feature is also supported on Pro1 🙂

2 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

Worst part of it all: NO ROCKBOX /s

If you can do little bit coding maybe it is possible to compile Android port. It used to work couple years ago.

https://www.rockbox.org/wiki/AndroidPort

Edited by FlyingAntero
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

Some Android phones have double tap to unlock feature but it seems that it is missing from Pro1? Maybe it can be implemented with custom kernel?

It is a setting somewhere. Double tap to wake works fine on my retail unit...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, kashif said:

ive been using a gesture app that allow to set double tap to unlock phone

That kind of app doesn't work "right" if the device doesn't support double tab feature on kernel level. Most likely they are using proximity sensor or displaying just black screen actively.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, FlyingAntero said:

That kind of app doesn't work "right" if the device doesn't support double tab feature on kernel level. Most likely they are using proximity sensor or displaying just black screen actively.

Well if you bothered reading some of the post above you would know that it does support it....

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, EskeRahn said:

Well if you bothered reading some of the post above you would know that it does support it....

I did read and I edited my post. I just wanted to clarify how douple tab to wake apps work from Play Store.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Wasmachineman_NL said:

No sticky modifier keys like sticky Left Shift

The only modifier that sticks is the left shift?   The other shift and ctrl keys don't stick?   What about the funky arrow one has to use with numbers instead of shift (by design for some reason), does that stick?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms