LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

Alright things are moving right along now...

I've got the touch screen margin/deadzone implemented and a nice little settings preference for it.  The display margin will not happen until later, if at all.  That's much more difficult to implement and intrusive to the system (it will likely require a reboot to take effect).

I'll be adding a keyboard layout setting (qwerty/qwertz) next.  Then I'll see what I can do with the fingerprint reader mitigations.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 7
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

3 hours ago, Hook said:

The Tasker Profile "Edge Block" created by @elvissteinjr works really well to solve the problem with typing the top number row on the physical keyboard.  You don't even have to really know how to use Tasker. Lol.  I don't.  Just import by tapping the Profile and scenes tabs and away you go. Has advantages over Edge Null as explained in the post, especially the not getting kicked out by Android.

That's great, but why have to use a 3rd party app when something simple could be built right into the OS.

44 minutes ago, tdm said:

Alright things are moving right along now...

You are really doing an awesome job, can't repeat it enough

Less the Google certification some need for banking apps and the like I will say that the Lineage implementation is better than the stock one in several ways. I certainly hope they will adapt some of it in stock.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
24 minutes ago, Polaris said:

That's great, but why have to use a 3rd party app when something simple could be built right into the OS.

Did you read the post right before yours?  In fact, tdm is building it into the OS, and at that point, those using tasker to do it will no longer need to.  But also note tasker works with stock too, for those who haven't moved to lineage (yet), so it's still a good solution imo.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Polaris said:

As @Craig suggested, my reply was purely, and parochially, aimed at someone saying they were having this problem with stock. 🙂

Edited by Hook

So if the phone is squeezed with keyboard closed, it registers a keypress, and wakes up.  I believe this has been mentioned before, just noticed it myself now.  So it may be good idea to turn off/ignore keyboard when closed.

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1

I'm implementing the UI for device specific features. So a couple of questions...

The keyboard map option should show a few common, sane, useful options. Like, say, making FN plus top row keys send F#. What other useful options do you think should be there?

Currently the keyboard backlight stays on while the screen is on and the slider is out. Would it be useful to have an option to time out the keyboard back light after a period of inactivity?

Any other interesting ideas?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Craig said:

Did you read the post right before yours?  In fact, tdm is building it into the OS, and at that point, those using tasker to do it will no longer need to.  But also note tasker works with stock too, for those who haven't moved to lineage (yet), so it's still a good solution imo.

2 hours ago, Hook said:

As @Craig suggested, my reply was purely, and parochially, aimed at someone saying they were having this problem with stock. 🙂

Right, that's great, just the wrong thread. 🤣😉

20 hours ago, tdm said:

I'm implementing the UI for device specific features. So a couple of questions...

The keyboard map option should show a few common, sane, useful options. Like, say, making FN plus top row keys send F#. What other useful options do you think should be there?

Currently the keyboard backlight stays on while the screen is on and the slider is out. Would it be useful to have an option to time out the keyboard back light after a period of inactivity?

Any other interesting ideas?

On keyboard mapping options, I've already shared my ideas plenty and you've implemented most.  Fkeys, as you mentioned, including three-key chords so can do alt+f4, etc.   KEY_POWER is another useful one to enable, I used FN+space as you suggested and thats good.  The other I want is is to make right slant arrow into slash (and question mark with shift).   Then, it's hard to think of a way to make it better or more functional.

For the backlight, I of course have interesting ideas, when don't I have interesitng ideas?   The ability to turn it off if you want is nice, like JooJooBee666 put into his app, a quicklaunch toggle.  Use-case to turn it off would be at night when reading e-book in the dark, or when watching a movie.

An idea tthat only would make sense if it actually draws noticeable battery, otherwise there's no point, but if it detected it was in bright light, don't bother turning it on - but of course pay attention incase it gets darker and then turn it on.   But either way its not noticable in bright light anyway, the only time the backlight is even noticable at all is in dim and dark light.

Dunno if the charge led indicator falls into this pervue, but I wish I could turn it off when unlocked - the indicator in the status bar is enough.  It's annoyingly bright when using device, especially with dim ambient light.

And probably completely unrelated, but I like how the app "Lock Screen Rotation" allows once to force landscape - this makes apps like google hangouts stay landscape all the time (instead of popping back and forth portrait depending on which screen it's in like it does normally) and even android games that are usually portrait only are forced landscape.    I'd like the same option built into our lineage, and myself would enable such a feature for whenever keyboard open.  But having this built-in is probably a pipe-dream, but can't help but mention it.

Edited by Craig
1 hour ago, Craig said:

And probably completely unrelated, but I like how the app "Lock Screen Rotation" allows once to force landscape - this makes apps like google hangouts stay landscape all the time (instead of popping back and forth portrait depending on which screen it's in like it does normally) and even android games that are usually portrait only are forced landscape.    I'd like the same option built into our lineage, and myself would enable such a feature for whenever keyboard open.  But having this built-in is probably a pipe-dream, but can't help but mention it.

Doesn't the auto rotation quick toggle do what you want?

2 minutes ago, tdm said:

Doesn't the auto rotation quick toggle do what you want?

Nope.  Lots of playstore games are force portrait and can't make them go landscape.  And google hangouts is force portrait half the time, depending what you're doing in the app, some screens switch back to landscape.   No quick toggle or anything can make them go landscape (without a helper app like that one).

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, tdm said:

Its a nice one to have.  Good for watching videos with keyboard out.  It will save some power not sure if it would be much. 

Guess the only thing would be must turn back on when a key is pressed.  I always use a modifier key to activate on my laptop in the dark.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, tdm said:

I think it is a good idea.

Maybe another option would be to behave fn+arrow keys as home / end / page up / page down or not.

• Like 1
9 hours ago, tdm said:

It would be nice with a time-out. Screens can do dimming before timing out, But as I guess it is on/off with the backlight could we make a few blinks?

The idea would be that if you are indeed still typing - say considering what to write next for a longer text, it might be annoying if it just goes off, but a 'warning' could be nice.

How fast can it go on/off? Can we fake a temporary dampening or even fading by many quick on/off or is it so slow that it would be flickering?
According to this, strobing should not hurt the lifespan of LEDs.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, _DW_ said:

Its a nice one to have.  Good for watching videos with keyboard out.  It will save some power not sure if it would be much. 

Guess the only thing would be must turn back on when a key is pressed.  I always use a modifier key to activate on my laptop in the dark.

I doubt t will draw much power, but could be nice Off while say watching a film.

A less elegant (but simpler I guess) option would be to have some special key-combo that could force the backlight OFF.

34 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I doubt t will draw much power, but could be nice Off while say watching a film.

A less elegant (but simpler I guess) option would be to have some special key-combo that could force the backlight OFF.

Ah same as laptop you mean?

• Like 1
17 hours ago, Loader009 said:

I've been working on that two weeks ago (didn't have time after that), I was still stuck at the building stage with caf sources.

I'll try it this weekend without caf, maybe that's my issue.

Sorry, I give it up for now to build TWRP.

The structure has completely changed, I don't know if msm8998_common is now needed at all, I removed it for now.

Now I have tried to build but after some trial and errors I am stuck at this error:

system/update_engine/Android.mk: error: update_engine_sideload (EXECUTABLES android-arm64) missing bootctrl.msm8998 (STATIC_LIBRARIES android-arm64) 

If I remove the bootctrl.msm8998 line from device.mk (which is probably a very bad idea) I get the following error:

device/fxtec/pro1/init/init_fxtec_msm8998.cpp:47:10: fatal error: 'vendor_init.h' file not found

And I have no idea where this file should be. I am not experienced enough for this >.<

On 2/26/2020 at 8:45 PM, tdm said:

Holy crap, I finally got a2dp working.  That took waaaaaaay too long, but it's working now.  Next build will have it, probably tomorrow since I am a bit busy today and there's some other stuff I want to fix/add also.

I am really curious to know what the problem was, if it's not too much work to explain 😇

On 2/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, tdm said:

* Notification LED and/or vibration issues (anyone other than @Polaris see this?)

If you're referring to not having LED notifications (except charging), I can confirm. Notification vibration I have though. @Polaris: Just to make sure, you haven't accidentially disabled vibrating notifications? Not only the global setting, but maybe just for the apps you use? Sometimes things can get weird and the default notification channel settings may not be what you'd expect (I know that I had chat notifications for a certain app completely hidden by default, for some reason).

On 2/26/2020 at 9:10 PM, tdm said:

* ExFAT support for large sdcards (generally 64gb+).

Many here seem to find this important, but, just to make sure, you all know that ext4 on sdcards works as well, and it supports a maximum size of 1 Exbibyte (which is most definitively larger than whatever the SD reader of the pro1 accepts)?

For me personally the TWRP would be the most important thing. It feels really dangerous switching between branches and cherry-picking patches without having a way to go back (that includes userdata) 😅

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
2 minutes ago, Gigadoc2 said:

I am really curious to know what the problem was, if it's not too much work to explain 😇

The BSP uses a feature called "split a2dp" and handles a2dp in the audio HAL.  This is proprietary and does not work with the open source audio stack.  So Lineage does not use it, a2dp is handled by the AOSP code.  In order to make this work, the audio configuration needs to be updated.  Because of the way audio works in pro1 vs. 1+5/5t, the audio configuration file is in a different place (/vendor/etc/audio vs. /vendor/etc).  I neglected to update the correct file.  As soon as I updated the correct file, it started working.  There are a couple other related changes but that's the big one.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3
16 hours ago, tdm said:

I thought of one other.  Some dos games use control or shift keys separately.  So, an option to make the right slant arrow into right shift or right control could prove useful in some situations.

• Thanks 2
19 hours ago, tdm said:

Would it be useful to have an option to time out the keyboard back light after a period of inactivity?

I would find it more useable to have a quickswitch (kind of like the flashlight button or WiFi/Bluetooth buttons you have when you pull down the status bar thingi) for the keyboard light. Though I have no idea how complicated that would be so, just ignore if that would be to complicated/error prone.

Edited by SteffenWi
50 minutes ago, SteffenWi said:

I would find it more useable to have a quickswitch (kind of like the flashlight button or WiFi/Bluetooth buttons you have when you pull down the status bar thingi) for the keyboard light. Though I have no idea how complicated that would be so, just ignore if that would be to complicated/error prone.

Incase tdm doesn't or until he does implement, JJB has written an app that does just that (add quicksettings toggle), specifically for lineage on our device.  Of course I'd also prefer it as a built-in feature, but this does do the job nicely.

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2721-kb-backlight-manager-for-lineageos-builds

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1