LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

I don't use LOS yet, but just contributing ideas.  

With the dead zones, an option to change the physical resolution that is reported to apps would also be nice.  That way, edge UI elements that a null solution would make inactive can be solved for.

Another to add to the list is double tap on screen to wake it.  I can't remember if that is already available.

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

1 minute ago, david said:

I don't use LOS yet, but just contributing ideas.  

With the dead zones, an option to change the physical resolution that is reported to apps would also be nice.  That way, edge UI elements that a null solution would make inactive can be solved for.

Another to add to the list is double tap on screen to wake it.  I can't remember if that is already available.

I'm not as familiar with how the physical resolution is presented to apps.  But I'm not sure that will really be necessary.  Playing around with a dead zone of 32 pixels feels pretty good and does not seem to impair anything.

The screen is supposed to be capable of dt2w.  I'll have to dig into the BSP history to see what they did to disable it.

12 minutes ago, tdm said:

I'm not as familiar with how the physical resolution is presented to apps.  But I'm not sure that will really be necessary.  Playing around with a dead zone of 32 pixels feels pretty good and does not seem to impair anything.

The screen is supposed to be capable of dt2w.  I'll have to dig into the BSP history to see what they did to disable it.

There are a few scrollbars with the slider only 20 pixels wide (Small Display size, even less with Smaller and 16 with Smallest).

E.g. in the Settings, Apps, See all

6 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

There are a few scrollbars with the slider only 20 pixels wide (Small Display size, even less with Smaller and 15 with Smallest).

E.g. in the Settings, Apps, See all

You can scroll with a vertical swipe anywhere on the screen for that.  The scroll bar is just a visual indicator of your position in the list.  I couldn't imagine requiring the user to hit that tiny scroll bar with their finger.

• Like 2
30 minutes ago, tdm said:

The other reason is for aesthetics, so someone who doesn't want to see content on a curved display can have a flat display.  

Related to that, would be square corners, not rounded.

Aesthetics are probably way down on the priority list, but just mentioning for the future.

I have no idea if you have control over things like this, but the pull down menu that has all the system shortcuts in it does not fit the screen when in landscape mode with the default settings for screen size and font size.  The edit and settings buttons are off screen and can barely be accessed by tapping the very edge of the curved screen above the - and 0 keys.  When using something that nullifies the edges, those buttons are inaccessible, so the phone has to be moved to portrait to use that screen.  Again, not critical, but just communicating.  

I suppose things people have listed in the stock bug list are possible candidates.

• Thanks 2
1 minute ago, tdm said:

You can scroll with a vertical swipe anywhere on the screen for that.  The scroll bar is just a visual indicator of your position in the list.  I couldn't imagine requiring the user to hit that tiny scroll bar with their finger.

I'm not saying that it is a big issue, just some lost functionality, that might be missed.

There might be other issues we do not know of. Say some app that requires an edge swipe to reach the very edge, or really close by.

What is the maximum dead-zone that allows us to drag an icon from one screen to the next in various launchers? With Trebuchet you have to be really close before it moves over.

So I like the software-bezel idea David mentioned with completely reducing the apparent display size.
Optimally an option reducing either just touch or touch+display or perhaps even a combo, e.g 30 pixels black inactive, and then an additional 10 touch-inactive.

BTW Swiping for scroll works horrible on very very long items. But Indeed it can be hard to catch a slider on very long lists, though it is easy in the app list where the slider got a reasonable length and is 20 pixel wide. But on some apps the slider is just indicative, and can not be grabbed at all. And in other apps (e.g. Contacts) you can pull the slider way left of the actual scroll bar - things are not standardised here....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

So I like the software-bezel idea David mentioned with completely reducing the apparent display size

Me too.  The ideal dead zone control would be number of pixels to black out (turn off, reduce resolution) and number to ignore touch screen reponse on, for edge of the four edges.    I mentioned this in my feature request thread in December.  

If this were the case, I'd turn off enough pixels on the top/bottom (landscape) to square the corners and maybe add another few pixels to ignore touch if I still bump the screen when typing numbers.   Left/right sides are no issue cuz there's bezel on that side already so I wouldn't change those much, if it all.  Maybe a couple pixels if it takes too much to square the corners on just the long edges.  I realize this will make my aspect ratio greater than 2, but it is what it is.

Remember the 80s/90s etc it was a big deal to get rid of rounded corners on our TVs, it cost a lot more for TVs with square corners.  Now this curved screen stuff has brought them back!

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

So I like the software-bezel idea David mentioned with completely reducing the apparent display size.
Optimally an option reducing either just touch or touch+display or perhaps even a combo, e.g 30 pixels black inactive, and then an additional 10 touch-inactive.

I should mention that this may have been @EskeRahn's idea originally.  I don't remember. I do remember discussing it with him.  And @Craig may have come up with it even before then for all I know. 🙂

Edited by david

3 hours ago, Craig said:

Remember the 80s/90s etc it was a big deal to get rid of rounded corners on our TVs, it cost a lot more for TVs with square corners.  Now this curved screen stuff has brought them back!

Yep.  Not ragging on the Pro1, necessarily, but it really is crazy, that as an industry, we worked our way up to these fabulous flat screens and square corners and then took a step backwards with rounded screens and rounded corners! LOL  There is *no* video content, that I'm aware of, that is shot with rounded corners! LOL  

To the point about the short edges being different than the long edges, it would be nice if we could specify each of the 4 edges independently and have it know that we mean the same physical edges when it is rotated (or not, if one wants to have options). I'm speaking of the quick and dirty null edge solution, as well as the more advanced resolution change, if that happens at some point.

• Thanks 1
9 minutes ago, _DW_ said:

With this would it be possible to have the screen size generally reduced so the curved parts are not used for display at all? 

Erhmm did you read what we have been debating in this thread since yesterday? Just asking... 😇

• Haha 2

Sorry, I had a lot of stuff to deal with recently: What is the status of the keyboard? Does the light work yet? Is the QWERTZ layout supported now? I kind of remember that there was still some debugging left to do...?

Aside from that, getting SELinux operational would only really be useful once we get 'official' builds. IMO.

Edited by SteffenWi

Hi,

about those dead zones: I would just need one on the bottom when the keyboard is open: Then my thumbs sometimes touch the screen when using the top row of keys.

But it is not a big deal, so if it is easy to implement together with the usual dead zones it would be nice, but if not it is probably at the bottom of the list (or not even on it, if too complicated of if I am the only one with this problem).

• Like 1

Now having caught up a bit 😄

"What is the maximum dead-zone that allows us to drag an icon from one screen to the next in various launchers? With Trebuchet you have to be really close before it moves over."

The Microsoft launcher also has this problem of needing to be very close to the edge you have to be on the curve for it to trigger the other screen. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
49 minutes ago, holter said:

Hi,

about those dead zones: I would just need one on the bottom when the keyboard is open: Then my thumbs sometimes touch the screen when using the top row of keys.

But it is not a big deal, so if it is easy to implement together with the usual dead zones it would be nice, but if not it is probably at the bottom of the list (or not even on it, if too complicated of if I am the only one with this problem).

This is exactly how I feel.  For me this isn't a real big deal as I have trained myself to stay away from the screen edges.  The only time it's still a potential issue is when the keyboard is open, I'm typing quickly, and using the top row of (number) keys.  Even then it's no more than a minor issue for me.

Edited by Polaris
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, holter said:

Hi,

You are not alone, however, I currently use stock firmware.

When I enter numbers (like a port number or IP address), I have to be extremely careful not to touch the edge of the screen which is inconvenient a bit but I am still happy with the keyboard itself. 🙂

Anyway, TWRP decryption would be a really good feature. 🙂

• Like 1
1 hour ago, VaZso said:

You are not alone, however, I currently use stock firmware.

When I enter numbers (like a port number or IP address), I have to be extremely careful not to touch the edge of the screen which is inconvenient a bit but I am still happy with the keyboard itself. 🙂

Anyway, TWRP decryption would be a really good feature. 🙂

The Tasker Profile "Edge Block" created by @elvissteinjr works really well to solve the problem with typing the top number row on the physical keyboard.  You don't even have to really know how to use Tasker. Lol.  I don't.  Just import by tapping the Profile and scenes tabs and away you go. Has advantages over Edge Null as explained in the post, especially the not getting kicked out by Android.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
1 minute ago, Hook said:

The Tasker Profile "Edge Block" created by @elvissteinjr works really well to solve the problem with typing the top number row on the physical keyboard.  You don't even really know how to use Tasker. Lol.  I don't.  Just import by tapping the Profile and scenes tabs and away you go. Has advantages over Edge Null as explained in the post, especially the not getting kicked out by Android.

I have planned to try it anyway (I saw it in Tasker thread) but still not played with it.

• Like 1
19 hours ago, tdm said:

After that, it sounds like a decrypting TWRP is probably the third most popular request.

I've been working on that two weeks ago (didn't have time after that), I was still stuck at the building stage with caf sources.

I'll try it this weekend without caf, maybe that's my issue.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

http://en.key-test.ru/

I had been using that site as one way to verify my Fkeys keymap worked right, and for no particular reason decided to verify all the other keys too.  Most behave as expected, but for some unexplained reason, - and ' arent identified correctly. 

In Firefox, both keys identify as left click.

In Chrome, ' registers as ` while - identifies as left click.

In both browsers, if I actually type those characters into address bar or text field somewhere, they work as expected.  And Supertux identifies them normally.  So something about the way that particular website is interpreting is odd; those particular characters work fine on that site from my pc tho.

Just a curiosity, not causing any problems that I am aware of. 

Edited by Craig
  • Like 1
On 2/26/2020 at 9:07 AM, tdm said:

I don't use or support magisk, sorry.

Is there a preferred root solution?  Or you just don't support root directly on device at all?    I saw you mention in another thread that root would persist thru lineage ota updates, does that apply to magisk root and/or something else?

I'd only tried adb root recently, and works fine for file management etc.  But can one use it to install apps that require root permissions?

1 hour ago, Craig said:

Is there a preferred root solution?  Or you just don't support root directly on device at all?    I saw you mention in another thread that root would persist thru lineage ota updates, does that apply to magisk root and/or something else?

I'd only tried adb root recently, and works fine for file management etc.  But can one use it to install apps that require root permissions?

There is an add-on su package for Lineage.  See the extras download page.

• Thanks 4