LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

4 minutes ago, Hook said:

I know that @Craig had to input an APN for his AT&T MNVO.  You might check their web site or ask customer service what apn you should use in your area.

Thanks but been there, done that, didn't work.  I'll probably be calling them today.

• Like 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

Got to tier2 support with my carrier and they verified that voice should work. They focused on the "mobile network / preferred network type" setting to try fixing it. But we couldn't get it working. I'll keep trying.

I don't suppose anyone here uses AT&T USA with the Pro1 and wants to share their network type setting?

I had AT&T Prepaid for a month while  I was working out Verizon.  The apn was AT&T Nextgenphone.  However, the account has been cancelled so I don't have the preferred networks setting for it, I do know I didn't have to pick that setting.  It used the default.

• Thanks 1

@tdm Lineage OS is a must have for me. The pro1 would be worthless without Lineage OS for me.  Can you   estimate the release date of the official Lineage OS on https://www.lineageoslog.com/build/scheduler ?

My plan is to order the pro1 six weeks before the official LOS release in order to get the device just in time.

Thanks for all your work you have already done!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
On 1/16/2020 at 10:14 PM, tdm said:

Got to tier2 support with my carrier and they verified that voice should work. They focused on the "mobile network / preferred network type" setting to try fixing it. But we couldn't get it working. I'll keep trying.

I don't suppose anyone here uses AT&T USA with the Pro1 and wants to share their network type setting?

I use an AT&T MVNO on my main phone whilst working on the Pro1 cut-over. While I haven't yet flashed any LOS, would it help if I put my SIM into the Pro1 and report what APN settings it receives from the network? The Pro1 auto-set its APN settings when I fed it a T-Mobile USA Sim.

On 1/19/2020 at 1:50 PM, igor said:

@tdm Lineage OS is a must have for me. The pro1 would be worthless without Lineage OS for me.  Can you   estimate the release date of the official Lineage OS on https://www.lineageoslog.com/build/scheduler ?

My plan is to order the pro1 six weeks before the official LOS release in order to get the device just in time.

Thanks for all your work you have already done!!!

I imagine that it will probably be within a week or two.  I'm quite disappointed that I cannot get voice service (yet?) but that should not stop official support if the issue is my device.

• Like 3
On 1/20/2020 at 5:03 AM, Maplesteel said:

I use an AT&T MVNO on my main phone whilst working on the Pro1 cut-over. While I haven't yet flashed any LOS, would it help if I put my SIM into the Pro1 and report what APN settings it receives from the network? The Pro1 auto-set its APN settings when I fed it a T-Mobile USA Sim.

Thank you but I don't think that will help.  The APN should only affect data.  I think there is something else going on with my voice service.

2 hours ago, tdm said:

I imagine that it will probably be within a week or two.  I'm quite disappointed that I cannot get voice service (yet?) but that should not stop official support if the issue is my device.

This is great news, thank you!
If you need anything tested, I'm happy to help.

On 1/21/2020 at 5:48 PM, tdm said:

Sounds great! According to https://github.com/tdm/android_device_fxtec_pro1/issues/11 the "voice issue" seems to be only country and/or provider specific. @mcdinner reported that T-mobile in Germany is supported.

By the way, has anyone already tested USB-ethernet-adapters with the pro1+LOS?

@tdm I'll take a shot at trying to help, but there might not be much that you don't already know, or haven't already tried...

So the APN settings are indeed just for data; however, AT&T defaults many of their accounts (and MVNO accounts) to VoLTE calling.  I rarely use, but was issued, a Samsung S8+ on Pie with AT&T, if I go into the "Info Menu" (*#*#INFO#*#*), the switch for VoLTE is (and many of the others are) in the off position and is also grayed out so it can't be changed.  However, in the same screen it shows "Voice Network Type" as "LTE" whenever the "Network Mode" is set to "LTE/3G/2G".  I have verified that it is actually placing VoLTE calls despite the displayed grayed out, off position, switch.  If I change the "Network Mode" to just "3G/2G" (which is confusing because it still turns on the 4G indicator whenever it sees an HSPA network -which technically is under the 3GPP standard) then the "Voice Network Type" immediately changes to "UMTS."  Thus, the phone might actually be trying to place VoLTE calls without you knowing it.  It might be helpful to check the Info Menu and make sure that UMTS is listed under "Voice Network Type."

• Like 1

@tdm, during your development, did you find any way to disable file system encryption?  I believe things I read earlier indicated that ADB and TWRP can't read the /data partition due to it being encrypted.

Soo, this might not be the ideal place to ask, but with the pro1 not yet being a device officially supported by LineageOS, i don't really know where else to ask...

I am trying to build LineageOS myself to try out patches and use my own signing keys from the beginning (so that I don't have to wipe or migrate later). I have built LOS for my LG G3 in the past, that worked well (except for me not having enough hardware to keep compiling the builds every week), but now I am stumbling upon some unexpected errors:

First, the FMRadio app would not build, with errors about unused parameters in several functions (in the native part, not Java). To get going somehow I just omitted that app by removing "FMRadio" from "PRODUCT_PACKAGES" in your device makefile. That avoids this problem (obviously not fixing it, but I would have tackled that later), but now the doze apk won't build (or, apparently, link):

device/idealte/msm8998-common/doze/res/values/styles.xml:34: error: resource layout/preference_category_material_settings (aka org.lineageos.settings.doze:layout/preference_category_material_settings) not found.
device/idealte/msm8998-common/doze/res/values/styles.xml:45: error: resource layout/preference_material_settings (aka org.lineageos.settings.doze:layout/preference_material_settings) not found.

I am a bit confused as to what is going on here? FMRadio not building should have nothing to do with the pro1 - except if the pro1 is the only phone using that app nowadays and that app is actually deprecated and not supposed to be built. Similarly, you did not change the styles.xml after the initial commit, which means it is not a recent change breaking things, and the builds you uploaded were using that version of the styles.xml. So, I would suspect that my fault is building against the current HEAD of lineage-16.0 while you build against some specific commits or the repos as they were at some point in time? If that is the case, could you tell me what I should build against?

13 hours ago, david said:

@tdm, during your development, did you find any way to disable file system encryption?  I believe things I read earlier indicated that ADB and TWRP can't read the /data partition due to it being encrypted.

Don't disable encryption.  I'll get a TWRP that does decryption soon after I get Lineage in a usable state.  But really you should have no need to decrypt data anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
13 hours ago, Gigadoc2 said:

Soo, this might not be the ideal place to ask, but with the pro1 not yet being a device officially supported by LineageOS, i don't really know where else to ask...

I am trying to build LineageOS myself to try out patches and use my own signing keys from the beginning (so that I don't have to wipe or migrate later). I have built LOS for my LG G3 in the past, that worked well (except for me not having enough hardware to keep compiling the builds every week), but now I am stumbling upon some unexpected errors:

First, the FMRadio app would not build, with errors about unused parameters in several functions (in the native part, not Java). To get going somehow I just omitted that app by removing "FMRadio" from "PRODUCT_PACKAGES" in your device makefile. That avoids this problem (obviously not fixing it, but I would have tackled that later), but now the doze apk won't build (or, apparently, link):

device/idealte/msm8998-common/doze/res/values/styles.xml:34: error: resource layout/preference_category_material_settings (aka org.lineageos.settings.doze:layout/preference_category_material_settings) not found.
device/idealte/msm8998-common/doze/res/values/styles.xml:45: error: resource layout/preference_material_settings (aka org.lineageos.settings.doze:layout/preference_material_settings) not found.

I am a bit confused as to what is going on here? FMRadio not building should have nothing to do with the pro1 - except if the pro1 is the only phone using that app nowadays and that app is actually deprecated and not supposed to be built. Similarly, you did not change the styles.xml after the initial commit, which means it is not a recent change breaking things, and the builds you uploaded were using that version of the styles.xml. So, I would suspect that my fault is building against the current HEAD of lineage-16.0 while you build against some specific commits or the repos as they were at some point in time? If that is the case, could you tell me what I should build against?

Apparently no other device builds FMRadio nowdays.  I have a local patch to make it build, but I'm holding off on submitting until I can get it to actually work.

As for the doze apk, I don't know.  The current trees are heavily copy/pasted from dumpling (1+5t) so they should work.  I'll be cleaning things up soon (again, after things actually work).

4 hours ago, mcdinner said:

@tdmare there any plans to release a third test build ?

Yup, absolutely.  As soon as I can get a vendor image built and working.

I've just now gotten Lineage to boot with a custom built vendor image plus one remaining hack (copying the gnss blobs from stock).  I'll try to clean that up and get it going today.

And hey what do you know... with the custom vendor image, a2dp actually works. 😄 😄 😄

• Thanks 4
59 minutes ago, tdm said:

Yup, absolutely.  As soon as I can get a vendor image built and working.

I've just now gotten Lineage to boot with a custom built vendor image plus one remaining hack (copying the gnss blobs from stock).  I'll try to clean that up and get it going today.

And hey what do you know... with the custom vendor image, a2dp actually works. 😄 😄 😄

That sounds promising 🙂 Thank you very much!

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tdm said:

Don't disable encryption.  I'll get a TWRP that does decryption soon after I get Lineage in a usable state.  But really you should have no need to decrypt data anyway.

What bad things happen if we disable encryption?

2 minutes ago, david said:

What bad things happen if we disable encryption?

You ... don't have encrypted data.  🙂  You may not care about it now, but if your device is lost or stolen it's nice to know that your data is (relatively) secure.  I'm sure that if someone with a lot of resources was after you, they could hack into your data.  But for most of us, encrypted data is "secure enough".

• Thanks 2

Alright, so I got gnss fixed.  I just did a fresh build and wipe and .... it boots.  Unfortunately there are some broken things that need to be fixed before I can do another release (namely wifi and cell radio).  But now that I've gotten it to boot, it should be all downhill from here.  So I'll work on those and hopefully will have a working build within a few days.  After that the bugs should fall quickly and official support won't be far off.

• Thanks 6

I've always hated encryption.  Just another layer of nonsense.  Always appreciated that Dirty Unicorns, which I used on both my Nexus 5 and Nexus 6p, shared my preference.  😉 

Not saying this is something you should do, @tdm, just expressing personal philosophy.  Looking forward to LOS in my future.

39 minutes ago, tdm said:

You ... don't have encrypted data.  🙂  You may not care about it now, but if your device is lost or stolen it's nice to know that your data is (relatively) secure.  I'm sure that if someone with a lot of resources was after you, they could hack into your data.  But for most of us, encrypted data is "secure enough".

:-)  Thanks. I just wasn't sure if it would cause other problems with something that expects encryption.

I am more worried about me being able to access my data if/when things go wrong than a bad actor accessing it with physical access to the phone. I have been using my current phone without encryption for the last 8 years.  I use a pass code for locking it.  That should keep out the casual bad guys.

Someone can get around the pass code by doing a factory reset, but then they have wiped the data partition, so can't get at my data, in theory.  They could use data recovery tools to possibly get at some of it, I guess.  All my photos and videos will be on the unencrypted SD card anyway, so they will easily be able to get those from anyone's phone, if that is where people store them.

And the ability to use recovery tools is a prime reason I don't use encryption on my computers either.  I want to be able to recover my data more than I care about bad guys with physical access.  I encrypt at the file level for sensitive data.  

I do realize many people want that added security though.

Question.  Does the stock rom allow for disabling encryption in the system settings?  

Just now, david said:

🙂  Thanks. I just wasn't sure if it would cause other problems with something that expects encryption.

I am more worried about me being able to access my data if/when things go wrong than a bad actor accessing it with physical access to the phone. I have been using my current phone without encryption for the last 8 years.  I use a pass code for locking it.  That should keep out the casual bad guys.

Someone can get around the pass code by doing a factory reset, but then they have wiped the data partition, so can't get at my data, in theory.  They could use data recovery tools to possibly get at some of it, I guess.  All my photos and videos will be on the unencrypted SD card anyway, so they will easily be able to get those from anyone's phone, if that is where people store them.

And the ability to use recovery tools is a prime reason I don't use encryption on my computers either.  I want to be able to recover my data more than I care about bad guys with physical access.  I encrypt at the file level for sensitive data.  

I do realize many people want that added security though.

Question.  Does the stock rom allow for disabling encryption in the system settings?  

Nope there are no problems with encryption disabled.  It just leaves your data open to anyone with access to your device.  I always used to run unencrypted because entering a pin to unlock the device was a pain.  But with the advent of fingerprint readers, this is mostly mitigated.

Just so you know, if your data is not encrypted, it is trivial to boot into recovery and remove the screen lock.

I haven't actually used an external sdcard in some time.  But generally speaking, my sensitive data isn't there anyway.  The stuff that's sensitive is usernames and passwords to various things.  If you do care about your sdcard data, Android can encrypt the sdcard also.  It just makes the sdcard unreadable on other devices.

I always encrypt my personal devices.  They run Linux and decryption is very standard and straightforward.  No need to worry about recovery.  I understand that Android devices aren't quite as straightforward but at least there are various ways to backup your data.

Ultimately it's your device and your choice.

Finally, no, stock has no way to disable encryption.  And neither does Lineage.  But in both cases all you need to do is edit the fstab.  Which will also require disabling other things like vbmeta and verity.  Or, once Lineage is stable, you can do your own build with the fstab change.

• Thanks 1