LineageOS, Current status : 16.0 Test Builds

8 minutes ago, Craig said:

Incase tdm doesn't or until he does implement, JJB has written an app that does just that (add quicksettings toggle), specifically for lineage on our device.  Of course I'd also prefer it as a built-in feature, but this does do the job nicely.

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2721-kb-backlight-manager-for-lineageos-builds

Just keep in mind that this app only works because SELinux is not enforcing. Normally apps wouldn't be allowed to do that (side note: why are the discretionary permissions even allowing this?). So when the build goes official, that app won't work anymore.

• Thanks 1
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Alright it's officially official. Now we wait for the first build. I don't know what day that will be, but it will be within 7 days.   https://github.com/LineageOS/hudson/commit/0233cb5e039e

I am pleased to announce test builds for LineageOS 16.0.   Please note this thread is for test builds.  These builds are not necessarily stable or suitable for daily use.   You can

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been here so I wanted to pop in and give an update.   I live in Seattle, which has been under stay-at-home orders for over two weeks and will continue u

Posted Images

@tdm Just a thought on fixing the unwanted finger print read issues.  I think most of the issues are due to accidental quick brushes with the sensor.  Would it be possible to add a delay so that when it senses a touch, it doesn't send a read to the OS unless the touch remains active for a certain period of time, say 500ms?

Edited by JooJooBee666

test8 is up, you know the drill by now.

* a2dp should be working.

* Added touchscreen margin/deadzone.

* Added settings UI for keyboard and touchscreen (Settings -> System -> Advanced).

NOTE: if you use a custom keymap (looking at you @Craig) note the keymap file has moved.  The reason is that /persist should only be used for things specific to the device that are invariant, eg. physical properties.  So it is now read from "/data/system/keyboard/keymap".  The file contents are the same, just "mv" the file over to the new location (creating the directory first, of course).  But I think I've implemented the stuff that you use as options anyway, so you may be able to just delete the file.

Also, UI is not my strong suit.  If you have any suggestions on improving how it looks, I'm all ears. 🙂

• Thanks 8
52 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

@tdm Just a thought on fixing the unwanted finger print read issues.  I think most of the issues are due to accidental quick brushes with the sensor.  Would it be possible to add a delay so that when it senses a touch, it doesn't send a read to the OS unless the touch remains active for a certain period of time, say 500ms?

I looked at the fingerprint stuff briefly today.  Unfortunately most of it is closed source (even in the BSP -- the OEM tossed binaries into the device tree).  So I need to come at it from either the kernel side or somehow override/shim the frameworks side.

• Thanks 3
  • Sad 1
2 minutes ago, tdm said:

I looked at the fingerprint stuff briefly today.  Unfortunately most of it is closed source (even in the BSP -- the OEM tossed binaries into the device tree).  So I need to come at it from either the kernel side or somehow override/shim the frameworks side.

Ahh, ok.  I was thinking most of it was being handled in the kernel.  Thanks for clarifying.

9 minutes ago, JooJooBee666 said:

@tdm Just curious about this, but how are you building successfully from your device tree repo with the FMRadio package enabled?  I have to remove it to allow the build to complete.

I hacked the FMRadio code locally to build.  But I haven't pushed the fixes up to Lineage because it doesn't actually work.  After investigating, I found that the QCOM BSP uses an entirely different FMRadio app and libs.  Not sure how I'm going to handle that yet, so I've just left it as-is for now.  The easiest thing to do is just what you've done -- remove the FMRadio package from the device tree.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, tdm said:

I hacked the FMRadio code locally to build.  But I haven't pushed the fixes up to Lineage because it doesn't actually work.  After investigating, I found that the QCOM BSP uses an entirely different FMRadio app and libs.  Not sure how I'm going to handle that yet, so I've just left it as-is for now.  The easiest thing to do is just what you've done -- remove the FMRadio package from the device tree.

Ok, thanks. 👍

FYI, I dont care about it either.  Never listen to radio anywhere, anytime, any longer.

Edited by JooJooBee666
  • Sad 1
7 hours ago, Gigadoc2 said:

If you're referring to not having LED notifications (except charging), I can confirm. Notification vibration I have though. @Polaris: Just to make sure, you haven't accidentially disabled vibrating notifications? Not only the global setting, but maybe just for the apps you use? Sometimes things can get weird and the default notification channel settings may not be what you'd expect (I know that I had chat notifications for a certain app completely hidden by default, for some reason).

Thanks for verifying that the notification LED is dead on yours too!

I'm pretty certain that my vibration notification settings are all active.  I'll double check though, I was waiting for someone else to let me know if theirs works or not.  I do know that when I installed a 3rd party notification app the vibrations came back to life.  That was NOT the case with the LED, it's just dead and the only two ways I can get it to light up is by charging it, or when I used the factory test in the default ROM.

9 hours ago, tdm said:

NOTE: if you use a custom keymap (looking at you @Craig) note the keymap file has moved.  The reason is that /persist should only be used for things specific to the device that are invariant, eg. physical properties.  So it is now read from "/data/system/keyboard/keymap".  The file contents are the same, just "mv" the file over to the new location (creating the directory first, of course).  But I think I've implemented the stuff that you use as options anyway, so you may be able to just delete the file.

Thanks for posting this info!  I too have done some major remapping so the new file locations are good to know.

8 hours ago, JooJooBee666 said:

Ok, thanks. 👍

FYI, I dont care about it either.  Never listen to radio anywhere, anytime, any longer.

I'm right there with you, could care less about the FM Radio!  Now the notification LED, that's a different story!!  😇😇

Edited by Polaris
  • Sad 1
Just now, tdm said:

Things are looking pretty decent. For example, here is what remains for parity with stock:

Parity....if you don't include those things LOS does that stock doesn't do. 😉

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
36 minutes ago, david said:

So, does that mean 98 downloads or can it tell how many unique Pro1 devices are running it?

A unique ID is generated at first boot after a wipe. When you opt-in to stats, it sends the ID and device model every 24 hours. I believe the page counts the last 90 days. So this is the count of active devices that are opt-in, with duplicates for each time you wipe.

Edited by tdm
  • Thanks 2
6 hours ago, tdm said:

A unique ID is generated at first boot after a wipe. When you opt-in to stats, it sends the ID and device model every 24 hours. I believe the page counts the last 90 days. So this is the count of active devices that are opt-in, with duplicates for each time you wipe.

Well then I count for 5 of those (Two devices, Test6 and Test8, one of them had test7)

21 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

How do I activate the new touchscreen margin?
I can not find the settings UI for keyboard and touchscreen

You should see the options in the system section when you select "advanced".

Screenshot_20200229-062941_Settings.png

• Thanks 2

I believe I've found the issues with both the WiFi signal strength indicator and the notification lights.  Both are broken because there are some Lineage specific changes that need to be applied to the kernel.  So I'll try to get those working early next week.  Details:

The 1+5/5t (which is what I copied to start the pro1) has the WiFi driver built into the kernel and a couple other minor surrounding changes.  The pro1 has the WiFi driver as a module (as the BSP does).  The wlan sysfs node is in a different place for built-in vs. module, which is why the signal strength is broken.

The 1+5/5t has a Lineage specific change (actually written by a former Cyanogen co-worker) in the LED blinking code.  I have not applied this yet, which is why the blinking does not work.  I'll have to look at the vibration system but it's probably equally trivial.

So that will get rid of 2 of the 4 remaining regressions from stock.  And probably the only two that anyone really cares about.  🙂

• Thanks 7
2 hours ago, tdm said:

You should see the options in the system section when you select "advanced".

AH! Thanks! Looked around a bit but did not find it. The setting-search does not list them either, is it limited to the build in Lineage stuff, or does it require manually adding keywords?

Just curious, what does "Fast  poll" do?

OH, a TINY request: In the new Margin selection screen, A text saying something like "Restart to activate changes".

• Like 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

AH! Thanks! Looked around a bit but did not find it. The setting-search does not list them either, is it limited to the build in Lineage stuff, or does it require manually adding keywords?

I believe there is supposed to be code to add those settings into the search results.  But I just copy-pasted it from an example and I do not understand it at all.  I can investigate.

Just curious, what does "Fast  poll" do?

That is for the keyboard polling.  When no keys are down, the keyboard driver relies on interrupts to detect key presses.  But due to the way the hardware is designed, this doesn't work for certain key combinations when a key is already pressed.  So, in order to detect two keys down at once, it is necessary to poll for changes.  The faster you poll, the quicker the response time and the more CPU is used.  So there is a balance to be struck.  The default is 40ms, but @netman likes 20ms for gaming, so "fast poll" switches to 20ms.

OH, a TINY request: In the new Margin selection screen, A text saying something like "Restart to activate changes".

You need not restart, the change should be immediate.  If it is not, there is a bug.