Day One Impressions of Keyboard

3 minutes ago, A Dude said:

ESC behaves differently than the other keys?

It behaves as android back button, not as esc.

And other games I've tried, same issue with arrows and another button at the same time, not possible.  Certainly hope there's a fix coming for that.

• Like 1
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortuntely they have not provided a way to customize things. But they can be overruled. See e.g. FinQWERTY, so whatever he is dong, others could do too... I know he is CONSIDERING an improved U

I'll start this by saying I've used PhotonQ for years, so familiar with keyboard sliders.   I got the Pro 1 today.  My biggest comments right now are about functionality.    My biggest compl

You have to disable all keyboard layouts and leave it set to default.  Then slant arrow with P & L get you / & ?.

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

It behaves as android back button, not as esc.

And other games I've tried, same issue with arrows and another button at the same time, not possible.  Certainly hope there's a fix coming for that.

oh - they need to fix this! (Serious VIM addict here) 😱

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Siani_8 said:

I must be reading this wrong?  There's a way to get a question mark without using the on-screen symbols correct?

Yes, it is even printed on the keyboard, not sure how anyone can miss it.... YellowArrow+L on qwerty.

What is odd and confusing is that the symbols we are used to have with Shift and digit keys, in their take require us to use YellowArrow instead. But it is a plain text-layout-file issue that is easily fixed (It is fixed for the Scandinavian languages with FinQWERTY for Pro1 handling both modifiers) so I guess they will get around to it, or someone will offer a fix an improvement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, EskeRahn said:

Yes, it is even printed on the keyboard, not sure how anyone can miss it.... YellowArrow+L on qwerty.

What is odd and confusing is that the symbols we are used to have with Shift and digit keys, in their take require us to use YellowArrow instead. But it is a plain text-layout-file issue that is easily fixed (It is fixed for the Scandinavian languages with FinQWERTY for Pro1 handling both modifiers) so I guess they will get around to it, or someone will offer a fix.

I hesitate to call that a fix, as the functionality is present and working, just rather oddly. It's a mod, to change the behavior, albeit to one more consistent with what one might expect.

26 minutes ago, silversolver said:

I hesitate to call that a fix, as the functionality is present and working, just rather oddly. It's a mod, to change the behavior, albeit to one more consistent with what one might expect.

Stand corrected

a fix -> an improvement.

But it is such "odd" and unexpected behaviour that it is almost a bug IMHO... And it is not that they were not told months ago...

• Like 1

I posted this in the official bug thread because that's what I consider it, but also thought that, being a keyboard issue, I'd post here to see if craig or anyone had a workaround.

A problem occurs when you assign a key to launch an app and the app opens ready for input.  So I assign a key to my password locker and I end up with the password field filled with multiple instances of that letter.  I open my word processor and I end up with that letter typed multiple times into whatever document, blank or otherwise, was set to open.  Somehow, the software needs to stop reading the input if the key is held. I don't know how tricky that is, but I can't use this feature while this problem exists.

If there isn't a workaround that I haven't figured out, I will likely go back to Nova which I have used for years.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hook said:

I posted this in the official bug thread because that's what I consider it, but also thought that, being a keyboard issue, I'd post here to see if craig or anyone had a workaround.

A problem occurs when you assign a key to launch an app and the app opens ready for input.  So I assign a key to my password locker and I end up with the password field filled with multiple instances of that letter.  I open my word processor and I end up with that letter typed multiple times into whatever document, blank or otherwise, was set to open.  Somehow, the software needs to stop reading the input if the key is held. I don't know how tricky that is, but I can't use this feature while this problem exists.

If there isn't a workaround that I haven't figured out, I will likely go back to Nova which I have used for years.

Haven't tried this function yet (ooops...).but yes it sounds like a bug. The Launcher should somehow have the controller stop the 'repeat'.

• Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Siani_8 said:

I must be reading this wrong?  There's a way to get a question mark without using the on-screen symbols correct?

Yes, only *IF* you do not select a keyboard layout.  Right now if you choose any keyboard layout, then no /?.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Craig said:

I'm still less than 24 hours in, so I'll count this as another thing I observed on the first day.

Supertux should work with keyboard, after all it was written for pc.  But on Pro1, it can't register two key presses at once!  If I'm holding the arrow to move, I can't jump with space bar... I have to let go of the arrow.   This is not good... 

That used to be a problem for old PC keyboards 😄

The key rollover, or lack thereof is kind of disappointing considering Fx, back when they actually tweeted interesting things, actually once advertised the keyboard being gaming friendly. I hate touchscreen for gaming as much as everyone else here, but I gotta be honest: It's not that bad for one-button games, which is all the Pro1 keyboard can be used for right now it seems.

Really hope the keyboard matrix is capable of some more than this.
Conspiracy theory time: This is why they didn't get into contact with the GameGripper guy... well I sure hope not.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, elvissteinjr said:

Really hope the keyboard matrix is capable of some more than this.
Conspiracy theory time: This is why they didn't get into contact with the GameGripper guy... well I sure hope not.

I have had a look at the kernel source lineage has, and the hardware is most certainly capable, the issue lies here: https://github.com/tdm/android_kernel_idealte_msm8998/blob/lineage-16.0/drivers/input/keyboard/aw9523b.c

I even submitted a pull request with an attempted fix (which I can't test myself just yet :D). Also for reference the IC that driver talks to is this one http://www.richwellgroup.com/Private/Files/20181025101009251∮DS_AW9523B_EN_Multi-Function LED Driver And GPIO Controller With IIC Interface_V1.1.1.pdf

• Thanks 3
5 hours ago, netman said:

I have had a look at the kernel source lineage has, and the hardware is most certainly capable, the issue lies here: https://github.com/tdm/android_kernel_idealte_msm8998/blob/lineage-16.0/drivers/input/keyboard/aw9523b.c

I'm not a kernel developer, so I don't typically delve into device drivers.... but parts of that file look really badly written. The loss of commit history looks doubly amateurish. It will be a difficult road to fix up this stuff...

2 minutes ago, abielins said:

I'm not a kernel developer, so I don't typically delve into device drivers.... but parts of that file look really badly written. The loss of commit history looks doubly amateurish. It will be a difficult road to fix up this stuff...

Have seen worse. But it is a bit inconsistent and most of the parts seem to be way to complicated.
I agree that it does not look very professional but it should be fixable! (Well netman has already done first steps).

11 minutes ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

I agree that it does not look very professional but it should be fixable! (Well netman has already done first steps).

I would argue only professional coders write this kind of spaghetti xD. But it isn't so bad. If i had a device to test on it'd take 1-2 days to get that to half the original size, working perfectly, and be tidy. I'd not call this bad code, it works and I can relatively easily understand what is going on, you don't always get that lucky 🙂.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, netman said:

I would argue only professional coders write this kind of spaghetti xD. But it isn't so bad. If i had a device to test on it'd take 1-2 days to get that to half the original size, working perfectly, and be tidy. I'd not call this bad code, it works and I can relatively easily understand what is going on, you don't always get that lucky 🙂.

Agree let's say it looks hurried, not necessarily unprofessional.... (But you are wrong about the spaghetti code, amateurs can do that 😄 )

Edited by Doktor Oswaldo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1