Jump to content

Factory Restore Tool


Recommended Posts

25 minutes ago, tdm said:

I'm a bit confused.  I just downloaded the 20191028 file successfully.

The index links to the LineageOS page and the Factory Restore page.  But if you followed the link in the OP of this thread you should land on the Factory Restore page directly.  The links for all the restore files are there and should be working.

The link that @Craig posed above comes up as 404 Not Found.  The URL is: http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/QX1000_user_20191028_oldfirehose_base.qfp

It's to the 'oldfirehose' file, that's the link he said isn't working.  The 20191028 file that you are referencing (and is downloadable) is at: http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/QX1000_user_20191028.qfp

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Please note, this is not an official FxTec tool.  It is my own creation.  FxTec should not be expected to support this tool or any damage caused by its use.   This tool will allow you to res

Okay all, I finally found some time to look at this some more.  As it turns out, the xbl partitions are not actually being written by the current package due to a bug in the programming instructions. 

Nope, I won't send him a bill, he got the refund as requested. 🙂 It's working, so I'm fine. I'll also offer unbrick-services in my shop, probably free for users who bought from me and everyo

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, Polaris said:

The link that @Craig posed above comes up as 404 Not Found.  The URL is: http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/QX1000_user_20191028_oldfirehose_base.qfp

It's to the 'oldfirehose' file, that's the link he said isn't working.  The 20191028 file that you are referencing (and is downloadable) is at: http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/QX1000_user_20191028.qfp

Yes, I removed the oldfirehose_base file.  That was just for testing.  Both of the qfp files linked from the web page have the old firehose now.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, tdm said:

Yes, I removed the oldfirehose_base file.  That was just for testing.  Both of the qfp files linked from the web page have the old firehose now.

I kind of inferred that is what you were saying because of how you worded it, and because the original link was from back on 12/30.

Makes perfect sense now, thanks!

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Okay, I guess I'm the shop where he returned it to - and I tried your tool as well but didn't get an further, but I'm happy to try 🙂

As mentioned, the device doesn't show any signs of life except that it can be found via USB.

It does react to holding both volume keys while switching on to go into EDL mode as you can flash it then (otherwise, the tool just gives a permission denied error).

It fully flashes and then says it's okay to remove the cable and reboot the phone... but that's it.
It behaves exactly the same as before.

I tried the Windows and the Linux version, both flash successfully but nothing happen on reboot.

Does the tool verify what it's writing?
Or is there a way to check what's on the flash memory somehow?

Also, as I have another phone from the same batch here, it is possible to read out the flash and clone it on the other phone? The we can be sure it's not a wrong software for the hardware-issue.

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/1/2020 at 12:50 PM, tdm said:

Oh, and just so everyone knows...

This tool and the linked factory packages are meant to do a "normal" factory restore. It does not, by design, reset every single bit that the factory programs. For example, it will not reset the frp partition which contains the boot loader lock flag and the Android factory reset allowed flag. Nor will it reset the radio parameters. Etc.

I wrote this tool and I have full access to the underlying capabilities of the programmer. If a normal factory reset does not work, I can generate packages to read and write every single bit on the flash chip.

With EDL, you quite literally cannot brick or otherwise break this device in a way that cannot be fixed.

@EvilDragon The above is what tdm had to say on the matter.  My guess is it will take more than a normal factory restore.  I have no doubt he'll be able to solve this problem.  Sorry to hear you got stuck with it, but, again, I have confidence in his ability to resolve this matter and would just wait till he has the time to deal with it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/18/2019 at 11:17 PM, tdm said:

Please note, this is not an official FxTec tool.  It is my own creation.  FxTec should not be expected to support this tool or any damage caused by its use.

 

This tool will allow you to restore your Pro1 to a factory clean state no matter how badly it is messed up.  You may use it to restore a "bricked" device or just load the latest firmware.

 

You can find the software and detailed instructions here:

Factory Restore for FxTec Pro1

 

Please report any issues here.

 

 

@tdm If you've not read before: I'm the shop where the device has been returned..... sadly I found out here in this thread that he KNOWS what went wrong, in the contact form he only mentioned that he followed the official documentation to use sailfish OS and something probably went wrong. Not nice, but, oh well, I'll try to get it back in working state.

I also tried your flasher and can confirm it flashes the device successfully - but nothing happens afterwards.

I've tried both with Windows and Linux and both firmware versions you offered.

Of course, I want to get it back in a working state and if I can help improving the tool with that, I would be even happier 🙂

I'm pretty techie myself, so I know what I'm doing and can try whatever you suggest me to do 😄
I'm using the Pro1 myself, which means I have both a working version and the other non-working one.

If you let me know how / send me the tools or firmware files, I'm happy to help.
It's really awesome you're working on this... as this is not the case on most smartphones 😕

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, EvilDragon said:

@tdm If you've not read before: I'm the shop where the device has been returned..... sadly I found out here in this thread that he KNOWS what went wrong, in the contact form he only mentioned that he followed the official documentation to use sailfish OS and something probably went wrong. Not nice, but, oh well, I'll try to get it back in working state.

I also tried your flasher and can confirm it flashes the device successfully - but nothing happens afterwards.

I've tried both with Windows and Linux and both firmware versions you offered.

Of course, I want to get it back in a working state and if I can help improving the tool with that, I would be even happier 🙂

I'm pretty techie myself, so I know what I'm doing and can try whatever you suggest me to do 😄
I'm using the Pro1 myself, which means I have both a working version and the other non-working one.

If you let me know how / send me the tools or firmware files, I'm happy to help.
It's really awesome you're working on this... as this is not the case on most smartphones 😕

Yeah, I wanted to reach through the screen and remove his teeth when he said he broke it and returned it. If you'll forgive me for saying so though, I'm glad that it was returned to you, and not someone else, as you will undoubtedly be able to make it usable again. Personally I can't be any help, but there are experts here who can. Together you will solve this.

Of course, the poor phone will be traumatized....it went from the devyl to an evil dragon.....maybe it's just possessed now......

Edited by silversolver
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/23/2020 at 7:35 AM, EvilDragon said:

@tdm If you've not read before: I'm the shop where the device has been returned..... sadly I found out here in this thread that he KNOWS what went wrong, in the contact form he only mentioned that he followed the official documentation to use sailfish OS and something probably went wrong. Not nice, but, oh well, I'll try to get it back in working state.

I also tried your flasher and can confirm it flashes the device successfully - but nothing happens afterwards.

I've tried both with Windows and Linux and both firmware versions you offered.

Of course, I want to get it back in a working state and if I can help improving the tool with that, I would be even happier 🙂

I'm pretty techie myself, so I know what I'm doing and can try whatever you suggest me to do 😄
I'm using the Pro1 myself, which means I have both a working version and the other non-working one.

If you let me know how / send me the tools or firmware files, I'm happy to help.
It's really awesome you're working on this... as this is not the case on most smartphones 😕

@EvilDragon nice to see you're actually here on the forums.  That is a huge stroke of luck!

 

I'll be happy to work with you on getting the device back to a working state, but we should probably take this to another place.  Feel free to reach out to me in email tdm.code at gmail dot com.

 

In answer to some of your other questions, no, the tool does not do a read-back-verify.  But it's always been reliable for me.

 

If the flash process takes several minutes and succeeds, it is surely working as intended.  So the problem is most likely (1) something that is not flashed by the tool is messed up, or (2) the device has a hardware issue such as bad UFS blocks.

 

Again, contact me, and we can work on figuring it out.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tdm said:

@EvilDragon nice to see you're actually here on the forums.  That is a huge stroke of luck!

I'll be happy to work with you on getting the device back to a working state, but we should probably take this to another place.

Ohhh, Ahhh, wait just a second here!!!  LOL.  There are a few of us that find this matter very interesting, I was kinda hoping to watch it unfold, but since that's not possible, once it's fixed, please fill us in as to what was wrong (yes, I'm very curious about what happened, if that wasn't already conveyed in the last sentence, lol). 😁 👍

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, tdm said:

@EvilDragon nice to see you're actually here on the forums.  That is a huge stroke of luck!

 

I'll be happy to work with you on getting the device back to a working state, but we should probably take this to another place.  Feel free to reach out to me in email tdm.code at gmail dot com.

 

In answer to some of your other questions, no, the tool does not do a read-back-verify.  But it's always been reliable for me.

 

If the flash process takes several minutes and succeeds, it is surely working as intended.  So the problem is most likely (1) something that is not flashed by the tool is messed up, or (2) the device has a hardware issue such as bad UFS blocks.

 

Again, contact me, and we can work on figuring it out.

 

Aside from the fact that we're likely to have no sympathy for the devyl by the time this is done, (or maybe we will, if it proves difficult) why wouldn't you want to hash out the whole process here so we can learn from it?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, silversolver said:

Aside from the fact that we're likely to have no sympathy for the devyl by the time this is done, (or maybe we will, if it proves difficult) why wouldn't you want to hash out the whole process here so we can learn from it?

Because it's likely going to require real time communication in order to not stretch into weeks, and I doubt there is anything at the end user level to learn from this.

 

I'm offering to do this for two reasons: I'm genuinely curious what is wrong with this device, and I don't feel it's right to make other people pay for your mistakes.

  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, tdm said:

I'm offering to do this for two reasons: I'm genuinely curious what is wrong with this device, and I don't feel it's right to make other people pay for your mistakes.

@tdm You're one of the good guys, and I'm convinced you would have helped devyl solve the problem too. 😄

I'm genuinely curious as to what's wrong with it also.  So when the time comes, please enlighten all of us on the sidelines. ☺️

  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

I would like to also hear about this problem as detailed as possible.

Also if it is a hardware failure and also if it is a software problem... and if a solution has been found, it would be good to also hear what helped.

I hope you will solve it soon.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I worked with @EvilDragon today and we were able to revive the device.  The xbl_a partition was corrupted.  This should have been written with the factory tool, so I need to investigate why it did not get written properly.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 8
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tdm said:

I worked with @EvilDragon today and we were able to revive the device.  The xbl_a partition was corrupted.  This should have been written with the factory tool, so I need to investigate why it did not get written properly.

Thank you for sharing.

Good to know you have worked it out and the device is working again.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nice, so now @EvilDragon can send a fat bill to the users that tampered, and then tried to return it for repair....

36 minutes ago, tdm said:

I worked with @EvilDragon today and we were able to revive the device.  The xbl_a partition was corrupted.  This should have been written with the factory tool, so I need to investigate why it did not get written properly.

Nice, so now @EvilDragon can send a fat bill to the users that tampered, and then tried to return it for repair....

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Nice, so now @EvilDragon can send a fat bill to the users that tampered, and then tried to return it for repair....

True, and just as good is we learned that the xbl_a partition wasn't actually being rewritten.  Would have been so nice if devyl just stuck with it and worked with tdm.  We could have learned this, but not at the expense of those selling them who didn't muck with it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Nope, I won't send him a bill, he got the refund as requested. 🙂

It's working, so I'm fine.

I'll also offer unbrick-services in my shop, probably free for users who bought from me and everyone else can get it reflashed for a little fee.

Usually, it's not needed. If tdm finds the problem with the flasher and fixes that, everyone can do it himself 🙂

But in case someone isn't technically able to do that for some reason, I can help.

Thanks goes to tdm for his awesome help and work 🙂

  • Like 5
  • Thanks 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 6:46 AM, devyl said:

i formated /dev/sdb (the whole one, not sdb1) within the sailfish os settings application in storage because i though it was the sd card (that wasn't mounted). nothing more or less. 😞

Wish I had read this earlier. You're not alone. 😉

@tdmThanks for your work. I'll be able to give this a test run tomorrow.

@EvilDragon thanks for following through with this.

 

Edited by belletrist
  • Thanks 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay all, I finally found some time to look at this some more.  As it turns out, the xbl partitions are not actually being written by the current package due to a bug in the programming instructions.  Or, well, a mismatch between what the programming instructions say and what my program expects it to say.

 

Anyway, I'll fix this and have a new package up shortly.  This should be able to fix the currently bricked devices (I know there are at least two out there at the moment).

 

  • Thanks 11
Link to post
Share on other sites

What is xbl partition(s)? The device(s) in question were bricked (unresponsive?) due to corrupted xbl(_a) partition(s)? Is it possible to flash only the corrupted partition, and restore the device, without having to overwrite any other partitions (with OS and personal files)? [Overwriting is an option as well, but only as last resort, if nothing else helps]

The instructions at http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/factory.html speak of EDL mode. My device appears to be in QDL mode - how different is that from EDL mode? I have initially thought that the phone has run out of battery to the extent that it cannot even charge anymore, but I cannot be sure if that's the cause (the phone went from 21% charged, to black-brick, within a span of few hours) without disassembling the device and checking the battery's voltage [and I would rather not disassemble the device at this point].

My earlier posts about the problem can be found in thread on using Fxtec Pro1 as daily device - what hinders you? I did install Sailfish OS, similarly to the devyl's device here - but that alone should not have bricked the device, as far as I understand.

I didn't format any sdb devices that I know of, but I did try to use a microSD card in Fxtec-Pro1-Sailfish-OS, and saw way too many partitions here (when I would have expected the microSD card to have only one partition, based on Nokia N900's easy display of it in File Manager), with most of them requesting to be formatted (I did format two or three of the dozen(s) of partitions, so now even Nokia N900 cannot read the microSD card anymore). I do hope that neither of the partitions that were formatted in Sailfish OS GUI were internal memory of the device.

In short, I would be glad for any help and assistance in un-bricking the device. And I hope its life will not be shortened by harsh weather around here - 43C on sunny day (black device would heat up to temperatures much higher than that), 20C on rainy day (and rains can go on for days).

Thank you. Best wishes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Per aspera ad astra...

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Wikiwide said:

I didn't format any sdb devices that I know of, but I did try to use a microSD card in Fxtec-Pro1-Sailfish-OS, and saw way too many partitions here (when I would have expected the microSD card to have only one partition, based on Nokia N900's easy display of it in File Manager), with most of them requesting to be formatted (I did format two or three of the dozen(s) of partitions, so now even Nokia N900 cannot read the microSD card anymore). I do hope that neither of the partitions that were formatted in Sailfish OS GUI were internal memory of the device.

I am afraid that this is exactly what you did 😞

Just yesterday I talked about this with the others in the Chat (not using SailfishOS myself, that's why I didnt find out sooner). It seems that Sailfishs logic what to hide in the UI, as well as their automount logic, is to some extent hardcoded to the hardware of the Jolla (or maybe the Xperia phones too). So all these unformatted partitions are indeed internal partitions of the Pro1... You may have deleted the bootloader, the modem firmware, or similar stuff...

 

At this point, all you can do is to EDL flash, I am afraid 😞

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms