Auto-Rotate Getting Stuck.

On the odd occasion I've experienced the auto rotate getting stuck when the keyboard is closed. This sometimes happens after I've used certain apps (Firefox being one of them) and also when I've changed the wallpaper.

Anyone else experienced this at all?

• Like 1
Just now, MickH said:

On the odd occasion I've experienced the auto rotate getting stuck when the keyboard is closed. This sometimes happens after I've used certain apps (Firefox being one of them) and also when I've changed the wallpaper.

Anyone else experienced this at all?

Yes, but a short press on the square button and then again on firefox fixes that for me.

• Thanks 2

I see this too, I can easily reproduce it:

• Place it vertically at an edge on a desk,
  • Tilt it SLOWLY to flat.
  • Wait a bit.
  • Lift slowly back to vertical resting on an edge.

To fix:

Just start a program like e.g. AndroSensor that IGNORES the phone's auto-rotate setting, and rotate the device.

• Thanks 2
7 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I see this too, I can easily reproduce it:

• Place it vertically at an edge on a desk,
  • Tilt it SLOWLY to flat.
  • Wait a bit.
  • Lift slowly back to vertical resting on an edge.

To fix:

Just start a program like e.g. AndroSensor that IGNORES the phone's auto-rotate setting, and rotate the device.

Will a little shakey-shake help anything, or does it get shaken clack syndrome? :)

1 hour ago, silversolver said:

Will a little shakey-shake help anything, or does it get shaken clack syndrome? 🙂

Shaking does not effect anything. also tried thee 'figure of eight' type of motion usually good for calibrating orientation sensors.

2 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

Shaking does not effect anything. also tried thee 'figure of eight' type of motion usually good for calibrating orientation sensors.

So clearly something is odd with the way it processes rotation information, perhaps a bug in the magic added for the keyboard slider. I'm certain that it's all in software and will be resolved in time.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, silversolver said:

So clearly something is odd with the way it processes rotation information, perhaps a bug in the magic added for the keyboard slider. I'm certain that it's all in software and will be resolved in time.

Most certainly a software indeed. But instead of the useless SYM key it would have been nice to have a keyboard toggle key (Adapt, Forced Portrait, Forced Landscape).
This would allow grabbing the open phone in portrait (which is pretty comfortable, the keyboard is alike a grip, allowing to use your other hand easily do do stuff on the touchscreen).
Also this would offer a quick fix for the stuck orientation bug.

1 hour ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

Most certainly a software indeed. But instead of the useless SYM key it would have been nice to have a keyboard toggle key (Adapt, Forced Portrait, Forced Landscape).
This would allow grabbing the open phone in portrait (which is pretty comfortable, the keyboard is alike a grip, allowing to use your other hand easily do do stuff on the touchscreen).
Also this would offer a quick fix for the stuck orientation bug.

That function might be possible with Button Mapper. It has an option to remap a specific button to toggle rotation.

Actions that can be mapped to buttons or keys:

• Toggle rotation

Buttons supported:

• Custom buttons: add other buttons (active, mute, etc) on your phone, headphones, gamepads, Android TV and other peripheral devices

• Like 1
On 1/8/2020 at 2:32 AM, SchattengestaIt said:

Does the phone launcher (ẃith its shortcuts) or the Button Mapper allow to change all Android functions with buttons? Like wifi, rotation, flashlight or hotspot?

It should be possible, but I wonder if it's implemented.

"Activity launcher" can map to literally hundreds of different tasks, maybe that can do what you want?

One thing I can offer about this is I've found this sort of thing with all kinds of Android devices over the years, and is why I always disable auto rotate except for those specific moments I have needed landscape. 

That said, since Android 9, Google has introduced a navbar hint that appears to the right of the square button if you leave your auto rotate disabled that will offer to rotate the screen manually if you rotate the device from its normal orientation. Solves the problem entirely for me, and IMO is the proper way to "auto rotate".

Not sure if Fxtec is taking advantage of this navbar hint functionality or not, but if not, I would highly recommend they do.  

• Like 2
41 minutes ago, Artemis-kun said:

One thing I can offer about this is I've found this sort of thing with all kinds of Android devices over the years, and is why I always disable auto rotate except for those specific moments I have needed landscape. 

That said, since Android 9, Google has introduced a navbar hint that appears to the right of the square button if you leave your auto rotate disabled that will offer to rotate the screen manually if you rotate the device from its normal orientation. Solves the problem entirely for me, and IMO is the proper way to "auto rotate".

Not sure if Fxtec is taking advantage of this navbar hint functionality or not, but if not, I would highly recommend they do.  

The soft button is the least bad option available for me too. Personally I would wish Android made a "Late auto-rotate". That is you would have to tilt it to say 90+30 degrees before it tilted 90 (and you tilt it back to 90). This way you could lie down on a sofa with the device without triggering the auto rotate, and only get the rotate when you actually want/need it, and more inuitivly than pressing the soft button.

• Like 3
14 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

The soft button is the least bad option available for me too. Personally I would wish Android made a "Late auto-rotate". That is you would have to tilt it to say 90+30 degrees before it tilted 90 (and you tilt it back to 90). This way you could lie down on a sofa with the device without triggering the auto rotate, and only get the rotate when you actually want/need it, and more inuitivly than pressing the soft button.

I agree completely with this idea, and I believe it shouldn't be impossible to be implemented in Android as it stands now. Once I get a Pro1 myself and start looking into customizing things, I'll keep this in mind, unless Fxtec notices this suggestion and implements it themselves first *nudgenudgewinkwink*

• Haha 3

This discussion made me try something, just out of interest and also to see if the guys at F(x)tec were awake. 😛

I held the phone in landscape, with the slider closed. Then turned it through 180°, so it was upside down, then I opened the slider and rotated the phone back through 180°. I was half expecting the screen to be locked upside down. But I can confirm that all's good the screen does in fact swing back to the right orientation before locking. 😁😂

• Like 2
2 hours ago, MickH said:

This discussion made me try something, just out of interest and also to see if the guys at F(x)tec were awake. 😛

I held the phone in landscape, with the slider closed. Then turned it through 180°, so it was upside down, then I opened the slider and rotated the phone back through 180°. I was half expecting the screen to be locked upside down. But I can confirm that all's good the screen does in fact swing back to the right orientation before locking. 😁😂

Yes. It is controlled by a setting in the "Settings" menu "Slider". "Landscape orientation lock".

1 hour ago, pops said:

Used to have this issue. Installed an app called ultimate rotation control to deal with the rotation. Working perfectly for my use case.

Thanks for the hint. I can not get it to do reverse portrait in any of the Auto options. If it does on yours, what are your settings?

"Forced Auto" and "Forced 3/4 auto" does not seem to work at all, But "Auto" does what I assume "Forced 3/4 auto" was supposed to do (=Anything but reverse portrait)

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, TeZtdevice said:

This app cannot force rotation, but I did think of a good use case for it.  Discord, which on stock only works in landscape when auto-rotate is turned on, ignores the stock slider setting for landscape lock.

I'm trying to find an app that will force landscape when I use google hangouts with keyboard open, without remaining force landscape when I close keyboard, and without overriding my auto-rotation settings.   I've also submitted this as a feature request for Lineage, which would be even better than an app...

I've tried a couple apps that can force landscape all right, but they do it all the time (Lock Screen Rotation), or require me to use auto-rotate all the time and rotate all four directions (Rotation Control).

Edited by Craig
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Craig said:

I'm trying to find an app that will force landscape when I use google hangouts with keyboard open, without remaining force landscape when I close keyboard, and without overriding my auto-rotation settings.   I've also submitted this as a feature request for Lineage, which would be even better than an app...

Oddly specific task that needs automation... Tasker? I wish I was paid for mentioning it so often, but it would be able to do this (force rotation, set auto-rotate, active app as condition), pretty sure.
Maybe other automation apps as well, but I have no experience with them (and only very little with Tasker to be fair).