• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

1.  Two settings are relevant to this: A. In settings there are slider settings, these are settings specific to the keyboard.  One says force landscape when keyboard open.  If you turn this on, i

How is making the app launcher responsible for launching apps a terrible design choice? I would actually find it rather odd if you could launch any app from within any other totally unrelated app

Umm, NO. It would be very stupid of F(x)tec to knowingly change the default behavior to something that will act weirdly for a lot of users. It's better to have it work in the usual, if boring, way out

Posted Images

49 minutes ago, rejujacob said:

keyboard shortcuts are no longer working with Swiftkey enabled. 

Even if I long press any key only the Google search opens!

Interesting, you mean those long press launch from FxTec launcher. 

I would not know cause I'm using Key Mapper instead. Currently using that yellow arrow function modifier and a key to launch the apps. 

For instance:

• Fn + B : launch browser
  • Fn + C : launch contact
  • Fn + K : launch key mapper
  • Fn + A : launch calendar/agenda

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Slion said:

Interesting, you mean those long press launch from FxTec launcher. 

I would not know cause I'm using Key Mapper instead. Currently using that yellow arrow function modifier and a key to launch the apps. 

For instance:

• Fn + B : launch browser
  • Fn + C : launch contact
  • Fn + K : launch key mapper
  • Fn + A : launch calendar/agenda

Yes the Fxtec long press launch, known as keyboard shortcuts.

Which Key Mapper are you using? So maybe you can't use Fn + L combo as it would then disable "?" and so on...

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, rejujacob said:

Which Key Mapper are you using?

https://github.com/sds100/KeyMapper

32 minutes ago, rejujacob said:

So maybe you can't use Fn + L combo as it would then disable "?" and so on...

Indeed, I wanted to use the Symbol key for shortcuts but there is currently a bug in Key Mapper that's preventing it to work.

https://github.com/sds100/KeyMapper/issues/290

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

Indeed, I wanted to use the Symbol key for shortcuts but there is currently a bug in Key Mapper that's preventing it to work.

There is a bug in the driver also, as Sym is (currently) handled as a letter-key, not a modifier-key. That is holding it sends repeated 'make' codes.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

There is a bug in the driver also, as Sym is (currently) handled as a letter-key, not a modifier-key. That is holding it sends repeated 'make' codes.

That would explain it. Is FxTec working on that already? 

4 hours ago, Slion said:

Also, when you use single key for trigger, the same letter does not work inside that App.

Example when you use single key trigger "W" for WhatsApp, I am unable to type any message using letter W.

Similarly with single key trigger "M" for Messages. I am unable to type any message using letter M.

To type symbols or capital letters I have to hold down the function or shift key while pressing another key.

It seems to me that it would be far easier if you just tap the shift key and that makes the next letter capitalized, or tap the function key and the following keypress is modified to type the symbol.

This is the way that the shift key works with on-screen keyboards.

Is there any way to make the physical keyboard do this?

4 hours ago, J_P said:

To type symbols or capital letters I have to hold down the function or shift key while pressing another key.

It seems to me that it would be far easier if you just tap the shift key and that makes the next letter capitalized, or tap the function key and the following keypress is modified to type the symbol.

This is the way that the shift key works with on-screen keyboards.

Is there any way to make the physical keyboard do this?

For now I don't think there's a solution for think, however I want to tell: the concept described is called "sticky modifier keys" if I understood you correctly.

• Thanks 2
1 hour ago, J_P said:

Were you replying to me?

I don't see how to do what I want with FinQWERTY.

Sorry, read too hasty, had a foot out the door... (saw it as yet another wanting to get the symbols above the numbers with shift rather than fn) What you suggests is build into android and can be activated if they allow a way to change the type from "Full" to "Alpha" , see this

2 hours ago, netman said:

For now I don't think there's a solution for think, however I want to tell: the concept described is called "sticky modifier keys" if I understood you correctly.

...It'd be nice if we could get sticky modifier keys as an option, haven't used the keyboard enough yet to decide if I prefer the 'traditional' method of actually holding a key while using it, or the sw keyboard sticky key style.

Giving people the option of either mode would mean they could just choose.

• Like 1
26 minutes ago, lameboyadvance said:

...It'd be nice if we could get sticky modifier keys as an option, haven't used the keyboard enough yet to decide if I prefer the 'traditional' method of actually holding a key while using it, or the sw keyboard sticky key style.

Giving people the option of either mode would mean they could just choose.

In N900, modifiers like shift were sticky and it was really usable.
I miss that on Pro1 but I hope it will have that option soon.

So if I wanted to use shift+letter, I could type the same way like with PC keyboard - but if a key was hard to reach, I could press shift, release it and just press the other key and it behaved like if I pressed the shift key. So this is an important feature for faster and more convenient writing on the keyboard...

• Like 2
48 minutes ago, VaZso said:

In N900, modifiers like shift were sticky and it was really usable.

see above

ALPHA: A keyboard with all the letters, and maybe some numbers.

An alphabetic keyboard supports text entry directly but may have a condensed layout with a small form factor. In contrast to a FULL keyboard, some symbols may only be accessible using special on-screen character pickers. In addition, to improve typing speed and accuracy, the framework provides special affordances for alphabetic keyboards such as auto-capitalization and toggled / locked SHIFT and ALT keys.

8 minutes ago, spam71 said:

Changing *.kcm entry "type" from "FULL" to "ALPHA" doesn't result in sticky modifier keys. Unfortunately.

Odd, then there is a bug in the android doc quoted above 😥 :

... such as auto-capitalization and toggled / locked SHIFT and ALT keys.

Though it does not say if the same goes for Fn and Ctrl too.

Could there be other settings overruling the type? I mean something only available in Full, that when used makes it ignore if you select Alpha?

Are you sure you actually get "Alpha"? Does it do auto capitalisation (without swiftkey) ?

My reading of that was that ALPHA keyboards CAN have sticky modifier keys, not that they automatically do - so presumably the keyboard type would be changed to ALPHA, but then some specific paramaters would also need to be set to change the behavious of those keys.

• Thanks 1

I'm Polish, I have to use national characters all the time. The first thing I did witn Pro1, was to root it and tweak kcm/kl files. The most convenient setting for me, was to map both arrow buttons to alt, alt to arrow, and define Polish chars in kcm as entered with alt modifier key. I am disappointed with one thing - both arrow keys produce exactly same hardware keycode, as do both shift and both ctrl keys. So it is impossible to define for example left shift and right shift modifiers independently - so it limits the number of possible special characters entered with hw keyboard. The other problem is, even if I replace FULL with ALPHA, the modifier keys aren't sticky. If they were - I could use one key only for special chars, and since I have to hold both keys at the same time, it is physically hard to press for example alt + A to enter Polish ą letter, and even harder to enter capital Ą.

17 minutes ago, J_P said:

My reading of that was that ALPHA keyboards CAN have sticky modifier keys, not that they automatically do - so presumably the keyboard type would be changed to ALPHA, but then some specific paramaters would also need to be set to change the behavious of those keys.

Do you have any knowledge on what those "specific parameters to be set" would be?

17 minutes ago, spam71 said:

I'm Polish, I have to use national characters all the time. The first thing I did witn Pro1, was to root it and tweak kcm/kl files. The most convenient setting for me, was to map both arrow buttons to alt, alt to arrow, and define Polish chars in kcm as entered with alt modifier key. I am disappointed with one thing - both arrow keys produce exactly same hardware keycode, as do both shift and both ctrl keys. So it is impossible to define for example left shift and right shift modifiers independently - so it limits the number of possible special characters entered with hw keyboard. The other problem is, even if I replace FULL with ALPHA, the modifier keys aren't sticky. If they were - I could use one key only for special chars, and since I have to hold both keys at the same time, it is physically hard to press for example alt + A to enter Polish ą letter, and even harder to enter capital Ą.

You might consider the trick we 'invented' for the FinQwerty to let Ctrl+Arrow mappings duplicate those for Sh+Arrow, as you at both sides can easily press Ctrl+Arrow with one finger. (So when swapping Fn and Alt in your mapping it would be Ctrl+Alt)

• Like 1
20 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

You might consider the trick we 'invented' for the FinQwerty to let Ctrl+Arrow mappings duplicate those for Sh+Arrow, as you at both sides can easily press Ctrl+Arrow with one finger. (So when swapping Fn and Alt in your mapping it would be Ctrl+Alt)

Thanks for the hint. Maybe I'll give it a try. But I really don't like any 3rd party software patches, if I can get the same easier with clean system tweaking. It's usually simplier and more reliable way.