QwertY or QwertZ - what did you order?

Qwerty and Qwertz  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What keyboard layout did you order?

I am just curious about the division of qwertY to qwertZ orders in this community. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

(And yes, this might not represent the real situation out there, but I'm curious anyway ๐Ÿ˜‰ )

Feel free to comment if you already received your Pro1 and if you "rearanged" your Keyboard via an App.

ย 

ย 

Edited by Shilor
spelling ... English is not my native tongue
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, oliviersenn6 said:

Wow what a nice selection bias going on here ๐Ÿ˜„

Indeed. If that trend holds I guess I'm not the only one using qwertY with qwertZ hardware to avoid the shifted letters.

It should be remembered that they still are not active on the wrong side of the Atlantic yet, so we should wait at the least 24h before we can expect more representative numbers.

And actually I would expect an over-representation in Europe, as many languages are Latin based but have additional national letters usually on keys to the right of the A-Z letter block

• Haha 1

I think it is a bit more complicated than if somebody ordered QWERTY or QWERTZ device because as far as I know, QWERTZ devicesย wereย sold only toย Europe destinations.

For me, I would have been bought a non-shifted QWERTY instead, but as it was not available, I have bought QWERTZ one.
However, I use a mixed layout on it which basically has standard QWERTY layout while accent characters are reachable by using FN (blue arrow).
Basically my layout looks like QWERTY more than like QWERTZ but definitively not likeย shifted QWERTY - which wanted to be a useful idea but for me, it would be inconvenient to use it especially if I would like to also use national layout.

So for a Poll, I may be curious for these options:
- I have ordered a shifted QWERTYย because I think it fits well
- I have ordered a QWERTZ one because I think it fits well
- I would have ordered one with national layout but went for QWERTY
- I would have ordered one with national layout but went for QWERTZ because it fits better
- I would have ordered standard QWERTY but went for QWERTZ because standard QWERTY is not available
- I would have ordered standard QWERTY but QWERTZ was also not available here so I went for a shifted one
- I have not ordered yet because I would like to have a non-shifted QWERTY layout
- I have not ordered yet because I would likeย to have a national layout
- I have not ordered yet because ofย other reasons

• Like 2

Iย ordered a QWERTZ because,ย as a German, that's what I'm used to. And it's a German QWERTZย to boot, with the umlauts where I expect them to be. That said, I had second thoughts right after I ordered, because I remembered that Iย find myself getting used to QWERTY keyboardsย with US-international layout superimposed, too, which tend to make sysadmin and developer tasks easier because all those square brackets andย braces and stuff are reached more easily. Then again I became happy with my QWERTZ choiceย again when I saw the 'shifted' design of the Proยน's QWERTY keyboard ๐Ÿ™‚

• Like 2
Just now, Doktor Oswaldo said:

You got a blue arrow? Where can I get that ๐Ÿ˜„ (I bet you owned a nokia keyboard phone ๐Ÿ˜„ )

Yes, I wanted to say yellow arrow. ๐Ÿ™‚
...and yes, it was blue on my N900. ๐Ÿ˜„

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
19 hours ago, VaZso said:

I think it is a bit more complicated than if somebody ordered QWERTY or QWERTZ device because as far as I know, QWERTZ devicesย wereย sold only toย Europe destinations.

For me, I would have been bought a non-shifted QWERTY instead, but as it was not available, I have bought QWERTZ one.
However, I use a mixed layout on it which basically has standard QWERTY layout while accent characters are reachable by using FN (blue arrow).
Basically my layout looks like QWERTY more than like QWERTZ but definitively not likeย shifted QWERTY - which wanted to be a useful idea but for me, it would be inconvenient to use it especially if I would like to also use national layout.

So for a Poll, I may be curious for these options:
- I have ordered a shifted QWERTYย because I think it fits well
- I have ordered a QWERTZ one because I think it fits well
- I would have ordered one with national layout but went for QWERTY
- I would have ordered one with national layout but went for QWERTZ because it fits better
- I would have ordered standard QWERTY but went for QWERTZ because standard QWERTY is not available
- I would have ordered standard QWERTY but QWERTZ was also not available here so I went for a shifted one
- I have not ordered yet because I would like to have a non-shifted QWERTY layout
- I have not ordered yet because I would likeย to have a national layout
- I have not ordered yet because ofย other reasons

Could be an interesting poll too.

I for one am not quite sure if I would have preferred a non-shifted US-QWERTY or a non-shifted national DK-QWERTY if both were available, I lean towards the DK. So went for QWERTZ for my primary phone. (I guess most in here know that I'm not a fan of the letter shifted qwerty...๐Ÿ˜‡ )

• Haha 1

I think it's astonishing that the QWERTY layout is so inferior to the QWERTZ layout, which obviously leadย to QWERTY users buying the QWERTZ version.
That alone should tell you something.ย 
I don't really understand why they put those symbols there and shifted the entire keyboard to the right in an unintuitive way. That was a really bad idea and simply unnecessary.
I've used so many Android QWERTY slider phones in the past (because they still made phones like that for US markets after they stopped everywhere else)ย and never seen such a weird layout.
It's a baffling decision and a real headscratcher.

Edited by shani
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, raphaelcno said:

Maybe people who ordered QWERTZ keyboard feel it's more important to vote in this thread than people who ordered aย QWERTY keyboard. This probably gives an overrepresentation of the QWERTZย group.ย 

Also, as far as I know, QWERTZ was available only in the EU which may also distortsย results.

I would find a standard QWERTY as the best option instead that shifted one.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, shani said:

I think it's astonishing that the QWERTY layout is so inferior to the QWERTZ layout, which obviously leadย to QWERTY users buying the QWERTZ version.
I don't really understand why they put those symbols there and shifted the entire keyboard to the right in an unintuitive way. That was a really bad idea and simply unnecessary.
I've used so many Android QWERTY slider phones in the past (because they still made phones like that for US markets after they stopped everywhere else)ย and never seen such a weird layout.

I am not a big fan of the shifted layout either, but after using it for a few weeks I have to say it is not bad. You get used to it and your fingers are nicely centered in the middle of the phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
9 hours ago, Doktor Oswaldo said:

I am not a big fan of the shifted layout either, but after using it for a few weeks I have to say it is not bad. You get used to it and your fingers are nicely centered in the middle of the phone.

I liked the idea, then was more confused by it than I anticipated. Now got used to it and think it's fine ๐Ÿ™‚.

• Like 3
On 1/22/2020 at 12:09 PM, shani said:

I have toyed with grabbing a QWERTZ version (in the US; I don't see why they wouldn't ship it there, maybe after asking if I made a mistake when ordering LOL) to avoid the shifted layout, BUT then people started getting the shifted QWERTY and saying that it works well, so I decided to just see if I like it after a few weeks. If I don't, I'm sure I can sell my QWERTY clack fairly easily.

• Like 1