Super fast battery charging

Just did my first full battery charge of the Pro1 and it was really fast.

Rather than using the provided charger I used my Huawei Super Charger and it felt like it was charging just as fast as my Huawei P30 Pro.

I'm a happy customer 😁

• Like 1
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

as soon as i saw the title i knew i'd see Eske in the comments talking about battery life lmao

It does indeed charge fast when needed. But I will discourage the use of fast charging on a daily basis, as it heats the battery, and heat during charging shortens the lifespan of the battery signific

QuickCharging heat issue solved

Posted Images

It does indeed charge fast when needed. But I will discourage the use of fast charging on a daily basis, as it heats the battery, and heat during charging shortens the lifespan of the battery significantly. So I advice to use the fast charge when in need, and a simple power source not above 5W (5V not above 1A) for daily usage. e.g. the USB port of a PC, or an old charger you got from an old phone. When charged while we are asleep, there are zero reasons to let it charge quickly.

I usually compare fast charging with junk food, nice, convenient and it does not really harm if you eat it occasionally, but do not do it on a daily basis... See e.g. this

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, oliviersenn6 said:

as soon as i saw the title i knew i'd see Eske in the comments talking about battery life lmao

Yup. Even though the Pro1 is assembled with screws and the battery should thus be fairly easy to replace, it is still not anything the normal user just do by themselves in a few seconds like the old removable batteries.

I'm not even sure if there exist any phones with end-user-replacable battery that also do fast charging. But if so fast-charge away, as a battery is not that expensive by it self.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yup. Even though the Pro1 is assembled with screws and the battery should thus be fairly easy to replace, it is still not anything the normal user just do by themselves in a few seconds like the old removable batteries.

I'm not even sure if there exist any phones with end-user-replacable battery that also do fast charging. But if so fast-charge away, as a battery is not that expensive by it self.

To talk about phones with fast charging that have removable batteries, LG V20 and LG G5 from 2016 have removable batteries and support QC 3.0

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 minutes ago, Slion said:

Thanks for the info. Though I guess I won't bother switching between chargers.

I have been looking for a fast charger with a mechanical switch for a long time, without any luck. BUT there are chargers like this that have multiple outlets, where only one do Quick Charge 3.0!

The one linked do 5W in two and 15W in the QC plug, so close to ideal, though slightly bulky (28mm), and would have preferred even less than 5W. 2½-3W would be nice.

(despite it says 2.1A on the two green plugs luckily it only gives 1A to a Pro1 - that was a nice surprice)

s-l500[1].jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Claimmore said:

To talk about phones with fast charging that have removable batteries, LG V20 and LG G5 from 2016 have removable batteries and support QC 3.0

And the JerryRigEverything teardown video of the LG G8 has shown, that companies no longer want batteries to be replaceable.

• Sad 3
4 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

(despite it says 2.1A on the two green plugs luckily it only gives 1A to a Pro1 - that was a nice surprice)

It may depend on the cable anyway so it may not draw more current when voltage drop is as high as remaining voltage become lower than the actual voltage of battery. 🙂

The lower the current,  the lower the voltage drop at the same resistance and resistance of cable depends on  the material, its thickness  and the length of cable.

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Wheeljack said:

And the JerryRigEverything teardown video of the LG G8 has shown, that companies no longer want batteries to be replaceable.

Indeed, companies in general do not want their devices to be repairable....

The harder to repair, the bigger chance that you waste money on a new one marginally better than the one you got. A planned obsolescence business model aPple has proven works extremely well if people are gullible enough - so that pest has been spreading.

Nice to see that there still are companies like F(x)tec that believes in not cheating the customers!! Making the Pro1assembled with screw, and very little glueing. I can not wait to see Ifixit get their hand on a Pro1. I think they are going to have a field day!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
6 minutes ago, VaZso said:

It may depend on the cable anyway so it may not draw more current when voltage drop is as high as remaining voltage become lower than the actual voltage of battery. 🙂

The lower the current,  the lower the voltage drop at the same resistance and resistance of cable depends on  the material, its thickness  and the length of cable.

Yup, I checked it metered with a cable that gladly do 20W (and seen over 3A at 5V from a QC plug)

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

Yup, I checked it metered with a cable that gladly do 20W (and seen over 3A at 5V from a QC plug)

Be aware that QC (or some other chargers) may increase voltage slightly to compensate voltage drop. Maybe it was not the case for you anyway.

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Be aware that QC (or some other chargers) may increase voltage slightly to compensate voltage drop. Maybe it was not the case for you anyway.

Yes, This charger goes up to 12V and allegedly with up to 1.5A on the QC plug. Haven't checked how high it goes with a Pro1

I know the Pro1 can go above 13W delivered to the battery, so with added substantial heating likely not less than18W supplied from the charger. I know the charger that comes with it goes this high, but I can not remember If I tried with this exact charger (looking around on my messy table I can see at the least ten chargers... yes some ordering is needed)

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, EskeRahn said:

I have been looking for a fast charger with a mechanical switch for a long time, without any luck. BUT there are chargers like this that have multiple outlets, where only one do Quick Charge 3.0!

The one linked do 5W in two and 15W in the QC plug, so close to ideal, though slightly bulky (28mm), and would have preferred even less than 5W. 2½-3W would be nice.

s-l500[1].jpg

A nice surprise for your purposes, but I wonder what is causing it to not work properly?  Have you tried the Pro1 in other 2.1-2.4 amp chargers?

• Like 1
1 minute ago, david said:

A nice surprise for your purposes, but I wonder what is causing it to not work properly?  Have you tried the Pro1 in other 2.1-2.4 amp chargers?

I have seen the Pro1 pulling 5V 3A from another charger yes, so The charger not the the Pro1 is the limit here. The green plugs of the above charger does not seem to deliver more than 5V 1A to a Samsung S8-, so I would guess it is just labelled at more than it actually offers. But who knows maybe it DOES supply 2.1A on some phones - I'm only glad that it does NOT. *G*

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Parhelion said:

QuickCharging heat issue solved

409765817_20200124_2227421.thumb.jpg.b486954ffb0cb7763b878d3fea263a9d.jpg

Hide contents

Of course I'd never really do that to my Pro1

I have actually done that to my current phone.  When the battery gets very low, it heats up when charging and the safety protection kicks in and stops charging, so the phone runs out of battery and dies.  It doesn't always happen, but has happened sometimes.  I think when the battery is older/degraded, it happens more.

So what I have done is to put it between ice packs while charging. :-)

• Haha 4
  • 6 months later...

My measurement via AccuBattery showed up to 56 C temperature for charging with the out of the box charger. I was able to test a few more chargers and found one that plays nice, so I don't have to worry about my phone catching fire or being uncomfortably hot when picking it up.

For comparison my old phone charges with QC3.0 and temperature is 41 C.

What are your experiences? Is 56 too much? What do you see when charging? Is it something waiting for a firmware fix or it's not considered to be an issue by fxtec?

Thanks

3 hours ago, sorgo said:

My measurement via AccuBattery showed up to 56 C temperature for charging with the out of the box charger. I was able to test a few more chargers and found one that plays nice, so I don't have to worry about my phone catching fire or being uncomfortably hot when picking it up.

For comparison my old phone charges with QC3.0 and temperature is 41 C.

What are your experiences? Is 56 too much? What do you see when charging? Is it something waiting for a firmware fix or it's not considered to be an issue by fxtec?

Thanks

I would say that is bad. And in my book the device should have reduced (or completely stopped) pulling charge before it reached such an elevated temperature, I do not know what F(x)tec has as an acceptable temperature, but I would have stopped long before. .... But you have guessed the last part if you read my other comments in this thread.😇

1 minute ago, sorgo said:

Do you think it's a faulty device or charger? Please, what is your opinion on opening a support request with fxtec?

I do not know if it is supposed to stop earlier. I avoid fast charging unless really needed, and then it will not reach a full charge. You could ask support at what temperature it is supposed to throttle down charging.

Perhaps someone else in here using fast charging has some temperature logging to share?