Poor software stability?

I've had my device for a couple of hours. And it freezes and crashes frequently. Apps also seem to crash more frequently than my previous phone. Happens often with graphics intense apps, especially when playing videos with VLC.

Anyway, can someone else try to reproduce this? Steps are easy:

1. Download VLC from app store

2. Configure it to read from an SMB path

3. Play any video from the SMB location. Let it play, try seeking etc. See if the app or phone crashes.

Looking forward to someone else testing and reporting this.

1 hour ago, sdx said:

Anyway, can someone else try to reproduce this? Steps are easy:

1. Download VLC from app store

2. Configure it to read from an SMB path

3. Play any video from the SMB location. Let it play, try seeking etc. See if the app or phone crashes.

Looking forward to someone else testing and reporting this.

Just watched 20min via VLC and SMB. Seems stable.
Seek was also working fine.

• Like 1

@WaxberryIt freezes, crashes reboots every 5-10 minutes of mixed use. I haven't put a SIM card in it yet. And yes, it's connected via Wi-Fi only at this time. Perhaps it's a memory/hardware problem then? It sure reminds me of faulty RAM in a computer. Got any low-level diag ROM for the hardware, or what are your thoughts? I guess your guess is waaay better than mine. 😉

I had the same problem with the first device I received, the phone crashed under load, for example when I rotated it while watching a youtube video, etc. I complained to Chen who sent me another unit. I sent back the first one and the team is  investigating. 

Other people have a similar issue, see here

I hope that this problem is not too widespread and that it can be solved via software.

14 minutes ago, YelloDumpling said:

Haven't had a crash yet,  but I have noticed some quirks with stock Android (not the phone).

Kind of a pain to close software;   The app drawer keeps pulling up sometimes.

If you have gestures enabled, pulling up from the top/middle of the app scrolling screen, rather than the bottom of the screen, may help.

Edited by david

The only crashes I have had for many months was the bug they fixed with some programs accessing the motion sensor (e.g CPU-Z). I think they fixed that early December, If i remember right.

Could be interesting to know if it also happens if you make a factory reset and first without anything, and then trying to add some apps.
I would guess that it (as  you suggested) is either faulty RAM, OR some app you got that triggers a bug in a driver (similar to the motion sensor thing)

• Like 2
On 1/27/2020 at 10:00 PM, Jordi said:

I had the same problem with the first device I received, the phone crashed under load, for example when I rotated it while watching a youtube video, etc. I complained to Chen who sent me another unit. I sent back the first one and the team is  investigating. 

Other people have a similar issue, see here

I hope that this problem is not too widespread and that it can be solved via software.

Good info, and yes, seems very similar as my problem.

On 1/28/2020 at 12:24 AM, EskeRahn said:

The only crashes I have had for many months was the bug they fixed with some programs accessing the motion sensor (e.g CPU-Z). I think they fixed that early December, If i remember right.

Could be interesting to know if it also happens if you make a factory reset and first without anything, and then trying to add some apps.
I would guess that it (as  you suggested) is either faulty RAM, OR some app you got that triggers a bug in a driver (similar to the motion sensor thing)

Did a factory reset now. Didn't restore anything, just logged in to my Google account. Downloaded VLC. Connected to SMB. Viewed a few files, tried seeking etc. Suddently it crashed after 2-3 minutes use. Wasn't doing a particular action at that time. So it seems like this is device-specific as not all users seem affected. Will contact support now.

• Sad 1
4 hours ago, sdx said:

Good info, and yes, seems very similar as my problem.

Did a factory reset now. Didn't restore anything, just logged in to my Google account. Downloaded VLC. Connected to SMB. Viewed a few files, tried seeking etc. Suddently it crashed after 2-3 minutes use. Wasn't doing a particular action at that time. So it seems like this is device-specific as not all users seem affected. Will contact support now.

Too bad, but at the least it is now narrowed down, to be very unlike being related to something special you are doing. Hope support can help you quickly.

4 hours ago, sdx said:

So it seems like this is device-specific as not all users seem affected.

Can you consistently reproduce the issue? Would be good if you could try that use case with a different Pro1 and see if it crashes too. That would potentially exclude bad RAM issues.

29 minutes ago, elvissteinjr said:

Is VLC set to use hardware acceleration? I think the default is set to automatic so it would probably be using that.
Try turning that off. Not as a solution, but to find out the culprit. Though it still seems to be specific to your unit if it works for others.

Tried that already, had no effect on stability.

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Slion said:

Can you consistently reproduce the issue? Would be good if you could try that use case with a different Pro1 and see if it crashes too. That would potentially exclude bad RAM issues.

I have a friend that lives nearby that also has a Pro1, but he's understandably unwilling to lend it to me. However, he has tried similar things with his and he has no problems, so the chances of bad hardware being the culprit seem pretty high..

• Sad 1
On 1/27/2020 at 9:19 PM, Combat Wombat said:

I had a random reboot before I even got through the initial configuration wizard

Did it reboot often afterwards?

@sdxWill it be possible to test the unit under 4G only (Wifi off) see if it reboots? I think it might be WiFi related. I am using an August production prototype for more than 4 months, and only happened to me 2-3 times so far. But each time it did 2-3 reboots in a short period of time, then everything back to normal. We are still investigating where the problems are so if you can let me know if WiFi is related that would be great. Meanwhile if the device still constantly reboots, we will get it replaced for you. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 4
13 hours ago, Waxberry said:

Did it reboot often afterwards?

@sdxWill it be possible to test the unit under 4G only (Wifi off) see if it reboots? I think it might be WiFi related. I am using an August production prototype for more than 4 months, and only happened to me 2-3 times so far. But each time it did 2-3 reboots in a short period of time, then everything back to normal. We are still investigating where the problems are so if you can let me know if WiFi is related that would be great. Meanwhile if the device still constantly reboots, we will get it replaced for you. 

@Waxberry Tried the same actions over 4G and VPN over Cisco AnyConnect to repeat the exact same actions without Wifi. It crashed within 1-2 minutes while playing video. Tried it two times just to be sure. So that means I need a replacement device?

• Thanks 1