SD cards not being recognised

I've tried 3 working MicroSD cards (that all work fine in an Android phone or a laptop), and none of them are being detected by my Pro1.

Anyone else had this?  I bought phone from Clove.  They want me to try troubleshooting with FxTec, which I'm happy to do.  If it doesn't work, I guess I'm returning it, and I'll have to get back in the queue...  😒😕

• Like 1
  • Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lineage should support ext4 for sdcards.  I expect I'll add exFAT support at some point now that Microsoft has opened up the patents.   Unfortunately, I doubt you'll see exFAT on stock anyti

Even if the card was too big/wrong format/wrong block size (etc) I think it would at least know that an SD card had been inserted.  My phone isn't even detecting that there's an SD card in place.

Check what format they have? Currently pro1 cannot read exFat

Posted Images

1 hour ago, netman said:

Possibly stupid questions but they gotta be asked: Did you try rebooting after inserting the SD card? Did you look in settings->storage?

This.

I put 3 SD cards of different size and manufacturer and none of them were recognized. Then I rebooted the device when one was inserted.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, netman said:

Possibly stupid questions but they gotta be asked: Did you try rebooting after inserting the SD card? Did you look in settings->storage?

Mine wasn't recognized until I rebooted.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, netman said:

Yup - they've gotta be asked! 

I've tried rebooting with two of the cards, and I've checked in Settings>Storage.  (And when I put the SD card back into my old phone, all the android system folders are there.)

Edited by TheOnlyRick
I'm a numpty
7 hours ago, ncvb said:

Check what format they have? Currently pro1 cannot read exFat

7 hours ago, _DW_ said:

Not pro1 specific but may be relevant if the block size is not default sometimes they also can not be read (NTFS/FAT32)

Even if the card was too big/wrong format/wrong block size (etc) I think it would at least know that an SD card had been inserted.  My phone isn't even detecting that there's an SD card in place.

• Like 3
2 minutes ago, br0die said:

Got my Pro1 yesterday. Phone says my SD card is  corrupt and needs to be reformatted.

This is definitely not the case as it worked in my S7 moments before.

My guess is that it was formatted for exFAT in the S7.  exFAT doesn't work in the Pro1.  If that is the case, you'll have to copy off any data you want to save, and then let the Pro1 format it as FAT32 and then copy the data back (if you want the data in the Pro1).  If you need to put it back in the S7, it should still work after the Pro1 formats it.  The only limitation would be if you have files larger than 4GB on it now.  FAT32, what the Pro1 will format it as, has a file limit of 4GB.

Congratulations on the new phone.  It is interesting that you just got it now.

Edited by david
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So a quick update.

I put the sd card in my computer to format it to fat32. Sadly, this card is 64GB but so I can only use half of it, really. A 32GB partition only. This is quite a pain. I find it quite strange that a phone that just came out this year cannot read exFat...I'm stuck with a max storage of 32GB...

But even after making a fat32 partition in diskpart, after putting it back into the phone it still insists on formatting it again. Which means I can't move the files I backed up, back onto the card. Equally, when I plug the phone into the computer, I only get access to the internal storage, not the card. So I guess all those files have to live on the phone now.

This is not very good.

1 hour ago, br0die said:

So a quick update.

I put the sd card in my computer to format it to fat32. Sadly, this card is 64GB but so I can only use half of it, really. A 32GB partition only. This is quite a pain. I find it quite strange that a phone that just came out this year cannot read exFat...I'm stuck with a max storage of 32GB...

But even after making a fat32 partition in diskpart, after putting it back into the phone it still insists on formatting it again. Which means I can't move the files I backed up, back onto the card. Equally, when I plug the phone into the computer, I only get access to the internal storage, not the card. So I guess all those files have to live on the phone now.

This is not very good.

There are apps for windows that will format larger cards as FAT32:

Alternatively, once the phone formats the card as FAT32, you can take it out of the phone and put it back into the computer and copy the files.  Windows can read larger cards that are formatted for FAT32, it just won't format them with the built in tools.

Alternatively, you can try switching the phone to "File transfer" (MTP) mode and see if it shows up over the USB connection.  If not, you can also try enabling USB Debugging in the phone.  If that still doesn't show the SD card, you can set up a WebDAV or FTP server on the phone and run clients on the PC to access the phone wirelessly, over wifi.  Or, if this is a one time thing, you can upload the files to the cloud and then download them on the phone.

When the phone formatted the card, did it give you the full 64GB of space?

• Confused 1

I've just got round to trying a SD card and same issue not recognised but it is a 16GB Fat32 formatted card.  Also I installed sailfish from this card! So the device definitely has working hardware. 

Makes me wonder is it possible to have a driver issue in android?

10 hours ago, _DW_ said:

I've just got round to trying a SD card and same issue not recognised but it is a 16GB Fat32 formatted card.  Also I installed sailfish from this card! So the device definitely has working hardware. 

Makes me wonder is it possible to have a driver issue in android?

Did it want to format it?  Or did not show as inserted? 

If the latter, try rebooting. 

3 minutes ago, MickH said:

My SD card is working fine for now. I did have a couple of hiccups with it when the phone forgot it was there a few times.

But it's reported in Diskinfo as being ext4.

Screenshot_20200216-065848.png

That looks like the internal storage to me?

25 minutes ago, MickH said:

This looks more like it. Doesn't say which file system it is though, although it was formatted in the phone.

Screenshot_20200216-071346.png

Looks like you have it treating it as internal storage?