Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Make your displays last longer I've recently ordered a bunch of those 'b-ware' displays and out of seven, two were in good condition and one is usable (~20€ each). That's okayish since there are no

@John Veness If you press with force onto the middle of your display, it will bend slightly. That's very noticeable with replacement displays since they have a sticky back and you can hear the glue st

Okay... so I'm on my third screen right now and it's still behaving after a few months. I'm starting to suspect the culprit that damaged the first two screens may have been a phone case I've attached

Posted Images

On 1/9/2021 at 12:40 PM, hka said:

Six months after replacing the screen the ghosts are back:( Same location as last time.

That's some bad luck. Are you still under warranty?  How did you get it fixed last time?

4 hours ago, Slion said:

That's some bad luck. Are you still under warranty?  How did you get it fixed last time?

Last time I got a new screen from fxtec and replaced it myself. Sent a mail to support again and asked if they could send another one (and if they have checked with their supplier about fixing the root cause).

• Like 4

They turned me down for sending a display after first considering it.  They indicated that they are no longer confident that just replacing the screen addresses the underlying issue.  Hence, my Pro 1 is now at their offices.

With a number of these issues popping up, they may want to do a more thorough investigation.  Doesn't mean it won't turn out to be the display, but I think they want to look more deeply into it.

Hope you do get the new display, however.

• Like 3
8 minutes ago, Hook said:

With a number of these issues popping up, they may want to do a more thorough investigation.  Doesn't mean it won't turn out to be the display, but I think they want to look more deeply into it.

When I have replaced my screen with one bought at Aliexpress, I have noticed some dust at one of the shorter sides.

I think it may be in connection with the problem... or may not.
However, that time official support did not seem to be interested...

Anyway, if I will have a similar issue with my current display, I may try to replace it with my original one first...

• Like 3
10 minutes ago, VaZso said:

When I have replaced my screen with one bought at Aliexpress, I have noticed some dust at one of the shorter sides.

I think it may be in connection with the problem... or may not.
However, that time official support did not seem to be interested...

Anyway, if I will have a similar issue with my current display, I may try to replace it with my original one first...

It's possible, but I would expect the effect of that would be more along the lines of causing touches to be inaccurate.  That used to happen a lot with Palm PDA digitizers and the cure most times was to run the corner of an index card carefully around under the bezel.  But, as I say, the effect was to make the digitizer inaccurate (you would tap one place but it would be interpreted as tapping at a different location).  Not clear why crud would trigger an avalanche of touches across the screen on it's own, while just sitting on a desk.

Not saying you are wrong.  Just raising a question. I'm certainly not an expert on any of this.

Edited by Hook
  • Like 2
1 minute ago, Hook said:

It's possible, but I would expect the effect of that would be more along the lines of causing touches to be inaccurate.  That used to happen a lot with Palm PDA digitizers and the cure most times was to run the corner of an index card carefully around under the bezel.  But, as I say, the effect was to make the digitizer inaccurate (you would tap one place but it would be interpreted as tapping at a different location).  Not clear why crud would trigger an avalanche of touches across the screen on it's own.

Not saying you are wrong.  Just raising a question. I'm certainly not an expert on any of this.

I am also unsure and that is also a reason why I have not disassembled my phone again for testing - that is my daily driver...

However, the dirt ("pocket dirt") seemed to be relatively high amount and I am also unsure which short end was it.
However, the problem was closer to the bottom end and when I have pressed the lower left corner, ghost touches have disappeared or improved for me for a while.

So I am also just guessing but as more people having the same issue, it would be more important to know the valid reason...
I still think it is most likely a display issue, but if the assembly process is similar, a similar gap may exists of different phones and dust may cause jokes... so it simply may worth a try.

• Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to tie my story up, just got an email from FX that they have replaced my display and are shipping it back to me (FedEx to US).  Only a month, I'm very happy! 😄   I was worried with lockdown it would take longer.  Thank you, FxTec.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

So unfortunately, the same ghost touches started happening to me yesterday. I was hoping it would be related to the cold after I had been outside. (Currently everything is covered in snow here). 

But after using the factory kit I have noticed that I am having the dead touch row in the same position as well. Got mine in February last year.

Screenshot_20210209-222816.png

Edited by altwouss
Add screenshot
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2
10 hours ago, altwouss said:

So unfortunately, the same ghost touches started happening to me yesterday. I was hoping it would be related to the cold after I had been outside. (Currently everything is covered in snow here). 

But after using the factory kit I have noticed that I am having the dead touch row in the same position as well. Got mine in February last year.

Screenshot_20210209-222816.png

Thanks for sharing. Now that Fxtec has repaired a few devices with this problem, do we know more about the cause? Is it just a failure of the display or is it some failure caused by the proximity with other components (design failure)?

Edited by OKSun
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, OKSun said:

Thanks for sharing. Now that Fxtec has repaired a few devices with this problem, do we know more about the cause? Is it just a failure of the display or is it some failure caused by the proximity with other components (design failure)?

We don't know what they have found, but it is clearly display-related problem - most probably a display fault, but I may think also a small possibility which may be fixing related...
...but it is clearly not related to other components and I don't think it is a design failure.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • 1 month later...
17 minutes ago, ToniCipriani said:

Looks like mine started doing this. Playing Mario Kart on landscape mode with slider open, finger is nowhere near the top (right edge in landscape), the notification shade would just randomly open.

Sadly, that's how it starts.  May take a while before it goes crazy. I could trigger it by pinching the top right (in  landscape--bottom right in portrait), somewhere to the left of the camera button.  At first, pinching would just fire the phantom touches once.  Then, as time went by, it would trigger a phone possessed.  If you get that, capture it on video to include with your warranty repair request.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
48 minutes ago, Hook said:

Sadly, that's how it starts.  May take a while before it goes crazy. I could trigger it by pinching the top right (in  landscape--bottom right in portrait), somewhere to the left of the camera button.  At first, pinching would just fire the phantom touches once.  Then, as time went by, it would trigger a phone possessed.  If you get that, capture it on video to include with your warranty repair request.

OK I think I managed to reproduce it.

- (Optional) open slide and set phone on table (had to do this, only got 2 hands to hold camera and trigger problem, lol)

- Open Calculator

- Slide finger alongside the bottom of the screen (right edge when phone is open), outside of the actual touch area

- Watch the Calculator go crazy

It's actually along the whole edge, not just the corner. When in portrait mode, it randomly triggers the "7 8 9 Divide Backspace" row.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, Slion said:

You can enable touch visualisation from developer menu if you want to see where they occur.

It shows the same thing for the most part. Random taps along the same axis. Here's one with that turned on and on a draw application:

fs0MkuIueFTyA8bHY-IzOwVBG734BBKkk6zW3sxYCXJAqqF8rizMBCSUyujWQcEge0_6XfSa9ykHjhnqWYV0c_q7W8OeTH7YFFtgJXVOF55kf5UD4D8aTX2SdKwA6Pw3MDA_uvl4Y1NzT0INYGJgmm6yFBMObEY2mSRRl4bB5Re_M7VIGdKzvzNsXmNqEkTa4JXrRDRCo0MHzo8CcbKziHWx4jiqGJnvyIQJEuiNeKgKmrZg_pdxfEfb_c9B4Y3JZ0EuII8VANu61KzmlClC8Ac_FTfg_TVU3WUJ7hQmDSgcYUfs1-ICRTdD9gSuT6UZWa1yLUq2xxOrR_zNgGJTsTeie8wOvrozXQxfOlOo16opAq8j64t9wHS5992K1LRycjj_r6fX8MoLKyd4fUhM0ZNX-1IFWI9KbhhfBfudqPTde2MrlTr4KskwlHg_FtUg8DmRN3DSy8z_AJPSgcETB9d4US9dxUNLPyP8eSm5bwlkaxGm8zfN1BCcZMH3QUCVYFM_D-ZKGVeha0DbEpeJsNrB022CoQtlrizBsJoSPVi9A0r2NeMHAmp2TtpJBegQlETFy3LgosHnHHRwd89HJ8X1B0NqIYoxHznTf2DLTSvH6SKGXAs4o7xFpfFumh9riVk9W8T-_o9fSlaFM8ri_QHxUybG0weILCE6GEfR-65neuJFdYYJtY0ZcxZd9i4lMhBRiPWVVrGfH4vON1YOODS_=w1381-h1033-no?authuser=0

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Sad 1

Just a small update... 

The ghost touching got to a point where the phone was unusable and I couldn't even enter my pattern at boot without a lot of retries. Also got a bit dangerous yesterday when I was using my phone as GPS and it kept randomly switching out of Waze.

@Hook posted some troubleshooting steps done with F(x)tec so I thought I give it a try (specifically checking if any flex cables were loose), and it SEEMED to have helped. I followed gelraen's teardown instructions and took the screen apart. Cables seemed tight, but I went ahead and reseated both the LCD/Camera to mainboard as well as the LCD to adapter cables. Specifically this one:

image.thumb.png.ad5a0309d8c3d645db4603ac9a6dab8a.png

I will need to do more further testing but it seemed to have passed the calculator test above, and I was able to enter my pattern unlock fine. Going to keep my ticket open with F(x)tec for now, don't think they are responding till Tuesday very least anyways since it's Easter Monday in UK likely.

If this fixes it permanently, maybe adding some foam tape to avoid that connector from moving/coming loose might be an idea as a preventive.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, ToniCipriani said:

steps done with F(x)tec so I thought I give it a try (specifically checking if any flex cables were loose), and it SEEMED to have helped.

Please also post your later foundings about this issue.

It has not helped in my case, but it may happen you only had this connection issue.
It may also happen it will start the same problem again.

That is the connector of the screen itself anyway.

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, VaZso said:

Please also post your later foundings about this issue.

It has not helped in my case, but it may happen you only had this connection issue.
It may also happen it will start the same problem again.

That is the connector of the screen itself anyway.

I reseated all 3. Thing is though, none of them felt loose or anything. I'm actually kinda surprised it worked.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, ToniCipriani said:

...and the problem came back. Although it's not as serious as it was before the attempted repair. Maybe just 1 false tap in a short while. Still usable at the moment.

That's the way it was on mine.  I even got fooled by the coincidence of installing AICP and the demons, as I called them, went away,  I think it was for  a couple of weeks, but then they came back full force, like they had gone off to training camp and my Pro1 was unusable again.

• Haha 1
50 minutes ago, Hook said:

That's the way it was on mine.  I even got fooled by the coincidence of installing AICP and the demons, as I called them, went away,  I think it was for  a couple of weeks, but then they came back full force, like they had gone off to training camp and my Pro1 was unusable again.

I've seen some earlier posts suggesting it might be due to static charge. I wonder me reconnecting it would have discharged some of it, thus making it work properly for a few days. However it is odd that it's only along the bottom though. Top end seems perfectly fine.

• Like 1
20 hours ago, Wheeljack said:

Sigh... my replacement screen is now starting to misbehave as well.

That's some bad luck, the one I replaced around June last year is still go strong. I wonder what happend to @hka. Did you get your repeat failure fixed too?

Edited by Slion

Hey folks,

I'm dealing with the same thing, maybe?

I've always had phantom touches when charging from an AC adapter, but about a week ago, I got a 10mm wide band right about where the number row in the on-screen keyboard is, that doesn't respond to touches. 

FxTec told me to send the phone to them, and that they would turn it in at least a month, or maybe longer... So, 2 weeks shipping over, minimum 4 weeks in UK, 2 weeks back, and my 6 month old phone is out of my hands for 2 months? That won't work for me.

Where can I buy a replacement screen? (Also my microphone just took a crap. Any idea where I can get a new microphone module as well?)

• Like 1
  • EskeRahn changed the title to Pro1, Ghost touches and other digitizer and display issues