I read about some thoughts about making a 3D printed case in another thread. I have thought about it as well, so instead off bringing that thread off topic (and making stuff hard to find) lets have a new thread for 3d printed case designs.

A first question. Does anyone have a good 3D model of the Pro1?

• Like 2
  • Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hey guys.  Just wanted share the case I printed out for my wife.  She wanted a functional opening case that would protect her phone and won't fly off when it opens.  After many attempts I was able to

Hello, again. I also made a bumper case 🙂 It helps me to avoid touching screen edges by accident. I also noticed that I could hold Pro1 securely because FDM printed layer lines work to prevent

Hi, I just wanted to share my simple back cover here :) You can download STL and F3D files from Thingiverse: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4617029  

Posted Images

I got a rough 3d scan of it as a starting point for making a case. Here is the obj file if anyone is interested: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/uee2exvq1k9l0g8/AADEZnXLLar2HUjdHvcaj3O1a?dl=0

It got some artifacts due to the fact that I had to cover it in tape for the scan to work (can't scan non-reflective black surfaces or surfaces with specular reflections).

model.PNG

Edited by hka
new link, old died
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 7
11 minutes ago, hka said:

Well, I did a quick test file yesterday as well, might give printing it a try this evening:)

Interesting! Just a hint on the hole for fingerprint. You should give it slanted edges, otherwise it will be hard to get to.

Yeah that is probably a good idea, I'll update that. When I have something that prints ok I will post all files.

The entire thing did not fit in my printer, but I printed the top part for testing and the camera hole is correct (camera position is actually visible in scan), but other holes need some adjustment.

IMG_20200303_221129.jpg

IMG_20200303_221149.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, hka said:

The entire thing did not fit in my printer, but I printed the top part for testing and the camera hole is correct (camera position is actually visible in scan), but other holes need some adjustment.

That you only get half, has the benefit that you can investigate the detail of the fit to the curvature towards the side edges, and how the 'lip' is grabbing the edge.

For the same reason you could consider cutting the part you already made in two, to see how good it fits the end-profile.

• Like 3

All parts test printed, I will do some adjustments tomorrow and post the design 😃
Then I will try and print it in one piece during the weekend. Th msla I am using is just so slow, to print it in one piece I need to print it standing and it takes about 1h/cm.

DSC_0038.JPG

IMG_20200304_214513.jpg

IMG_20200304_214531.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

That URL didn't work for me.  You might have been inside an account when you copied it.  This one might work better for others.

https://www.shapeways.com/marketplace/tech/cases?q=&sort=popularity&facet[pdcId][]=255&facet[isCustomizable]=1&facet[price][min]=1&facet[price][max]=2500&facet[price][from]=1&facet[price][to]=2500

Or how to upload the models:  

https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/articles/360006420413-How-to-upload-a-model

I see on another page (https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/articles/360042090753-Materials-not-available-on-the-marketplace) that TPU isn't available.  It looks like the following are available for this application:

- Versatile Plastic

- Multi Jet Fusion Plastic

- Fine Detail Plastic

Edited by david

I did some more adjustments now based on the test print, should be quite OK.

case.png

If anyone wish to test and print it: https://aelv.se/hka/ul/FxTecPro1_case.stl

And the files for modifying it are here: https://aelv.se/hka/ul/modelFiles.7z

I can post it to shapeway when I have tested printing it and is satisfied with it, but seemed expensive, $22 for the cheapest option and about $50 for TPU.

Edited by hka
links didn't auto detect
  • Thanks 4
1 hour ago, hka said:

I can post it to shapeway when I have tested printing it and is satisfied with it, but seemed expensive, $22 for the cheapest option and about $50 for TPU.

If it can be made in transparent TPU, one for the top could be interesting too. 🙂

How good is the grip, could the bottom part hold without the 'lips' at the long edges and only on the short?

That would allow a top part to have lips on the long edges, and not on the short, so the whole thing can close without  the lips conflicting.

Perhaps it should be made not to fit perfect, but have material tension help holding it in place in the direction without lips. Like this very rough principal sketch.

image.png.1284dffe642a4e11fbc149ac3b7fe446.png

ADD: Let me try to explain better: If what I painted with red in your image is removed, and the whole thing lifted in the middle, like the blue curve (sketch line, only the principle)

image.thumb.png.14b5d70c24fa13a324c56e287fbec4e0.png

• Thanks 1

Yah it could probably work, but some testing needed. I think that it might be possible to get it to stay almost without lip by printing it slightly to small. But I need to find a good mixture of resin to get a good amount of stretch (using Monocure flex 100 and regular transparent resin).

I will try making a part for the top as well!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Print finished, but it was a bit to small and stiff so it cracked in the top. But here are some images. It is very hard to get a good print with thin walls (about 0.5 mm thick), I think next time I will print with thicker walls to make it more robust.

DSC_0044.JPG

IMG_20200307_152239.jpg

IMG_20200307_152319.jpg

IMG_20200307_152335.jpg

IMG_20200307_152350.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Just a small idea, shouldn't the headphone jack area be bigger in the case if someone wants to use for example PC-style headset with a big and thick 3.5mm jack? An issue I atleast have often faced is that with a case and a headset like that, many cases block the plug because the plug is too big for the hole in the case.

This is just an idea, I know we aren't that far into making complete usable cases yet.

• Thanks 2
19 hours ago, Nighplyer32 said:

Next I want to print in TPU what is like a normal cover

This is what I have been waiting for, is someone who can get it to print in TPU.  I would love a TPU cover that has extra bumpers at the corners, with possible air between the inner case and the extra bumper material.