Thanks to the fxtec Pro1 I no longer miss my...

The Pro1 is my first keyboard phone, so I'm not missing any phone I ever had.  But I especially don't miss my Nexus 5, which was my favorite slab phone ever and was the only phone that made me not miss my Palm TX anymore. 😉

• Like 1

I don't miss my N900 but I still miss the freedom of its Maemo system and its usability (the real multitasking and proper application-handling for example).

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 2

Not missing my Samsung Galaxy Relay aka ApexQ, which I would boot up now and again just to feel the keyboard.

And oddly enough, don't even miss the Pixel OG (and its great camera) that was my daily driver before the Pro1. Or any other phone. Despite the phone's quirks (friggin' fingerprint scanner drives me nuts every day) I haven't had any of the major issues I've seen others report. The keyboard is a joy to use every time, I love the screen, the camera is fine with a GCam port and I haven't had any sound issues -music and podcasts sound great. Never looked back for an instant after I first booted it up...

24 minutes ago, jjarmasz said:

Not missing my Samsung Galaxy Relay aka ApexQ, which I would boot up now and again just to feel the keyboard.

And oddly enough, don't even miss the Pixel OG (and its great camera) that was my daily driver before the Pro1. Or any other phone. Despite the phone's quirks (friggin' fingerprint scanner drives me nuts every day) I haven't had any of the major issues I've seen others report. The keyboard is a joy to use every time, I love the screen, the camera is fine with a GCam port and I haven't had any sound issues -music and podcasts sound great. Never looked back for an instant after I first booted it up...

I was so close to getting that phone back then, the Relay. Got one that was unlocked, it kept chewing SD cards and corrupting all the data on it, not sure why. Had to return it and ended up down the dark, dark, BlackBerry route and got a Classic.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Like 1

The Phone I doubt I will ever miss is the HTC Diamond. Not because of the hardware, but the extremely unstable Windows software.

I would be lucky to have a day without a reboot, and I needed to do a factory reset at the least every fortnight! I actually ended up making a MORT_SCRIPT that could perform a full factory restore, and install my apps, and set the needed settings!!! Ran it about every second week, or when the device had messed it self up too much-
Often when the phone rang you would be unable to pick it up.... With Vista being a competitor, I think this is the worst software MS ever made....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Slion said:

Nokia E7-00

I used an E7 for a couple of weeks (thanks to old Nokia's very generous trial program for "bloggers" back in the day...). I thought I would love it but at the time it felt too heavy and the camera kinda sucked (and yet look at me with the Pro1 now...) I almost said the Nokia N97! Despite being criminally underspecced I loved mine, especially starting the camera by sliding the cover and just popping it open with one hand to type messages on it. Clearly I am quite comfortable nursing along hobbled devices...

• Like 1
23 minutes ago, jjarmasz said:

I used an E7 for a couple of weeks (thanks to old Nokia's very generous trial program for "bloggers" back in the day...). I thought I would love it but at the time it felt too heavy and the camera kinda sucked (and yet look at me with the Pro1 now...) I almost said the Nokia N97! Despite being criminally underspecced I loved mine, especially starting the camera by sliding the cover and just popping it open with one hand to type messages on it. Clearly I am quite comfortable nursing along hobbled devices...

I loved my N97mini, except that it was useless outdoors in the summer. So I actually carried a secondary phone (Samsung S8500 Wave) for outdoor usage...

• Haha 2

I used Nokia E7 for around 8 years and i used it extensively.

But i dont miss E7 at all because it was very frustrating to use E7 primarily  because of its obsolete symbian os and battle to find or use most of the apps, its poor camera and under performing hardware.

Pro1 solved all these problems and life is now so easy with Pro1.

The only worry i have is that i have only one Pro1. And hearing from so many of this forum about their Pro1 breaking, i am worried about the safety of my Pro1

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
37 minutes ago, kashif said:

The only worry i have is that i have only one Pro1. And hearing from so many of this forum about their Pro1 breaking, i am worried about the safety of my Pro1

If you don't throw it against the wall it should not explode into pieces.

• Like 2
23 hours ago, Hook said:

The Pro1 is my first keyboard phone, so I'm not missing any phone I ever had.  But I especially don't miss my Nexus 5, which was my favorite slab phone ever and was the only phone that made me not miss my Palm TX anymore. 😉

I will always miss my Nexus 5 a little.
Also my favorite slab phone.

• Like 2
On 6/7/2020 at 11:25 PM, kashif said:

I used Nokia E7 for around 8 years and i used it extensively.

But i dont miss E7 at all because it was very frustrating to use E7 primarily  because of its obsolete symbian os and battle to find or use most of the apps, its poor camera and under performing hardware.

Pro1 solved all these problems and life is now so easy with Pro1.

Yeah, the durability of the Pro1 is uncertain at this point. I have no issues yet (knock on wood!) despite even a few very small drops 😬😬 but I scan the "Pro1 for sale" posts here now and then, maybe I'll buy a back-up one...

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, jjarmasz said:

Yeah, the durability of the Pro1 is uncertain at this point. I have no issues yet (knock on wood!) despite even a few very small drops 😬😬 but I scan the "Pro1 for sale" posts here now and then, maybe I'll buy a back-up one...

I've had my Pro 1 for 6 months now.  I use it without a case or screen protector, just a black matte skin on the back to give the back a little texture.  It has been dropped a few times. It shows no wear and is still as solid as the day I got it.  The hinge has loosened a little over time, as I would expect, but everything still feels properly aligned.  I think this phone has a long life ahead of it. 👍

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

So I just got mine, and just an hour into it, I'm missing my Priv.

• Having a "full-sized" keyboard is good but it's not practical for daily mobile use. I find myself stretching to for keys on the left side because of the cluster of keys before the home row. 
  • Edge detection is horrid. I constantly accidentally activate the screen when using the numeric row, in fact I locked out my corporate account entering a password because of this. I feel using a curved screen was a very bad design choice here, you need more gap between the keyboard and the edge of the screen.
  • Landscape usage on Android is bad and impractical. Almost every single app I have so far opens up in portrait, the landscape lock doesn't work and feels like a workaround. Even freakin' Excel opens up in portrait.
  • After going through 4 updates, the phone still feels very unpolished. How is that the system pulldown notification tray gets expanded _beyond_ the screen (EDIT: sorted this one, default font was too big)?

I won't return it, I might get used to it later, but I feel this might end up being the phone to wean me off the keyboard. Until someone builds a portrait slider or Priv clone that is.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Sad 1
3 hours ago, kontakt said:

Jeez... what the hell did I buy, this thing cost more than my Priv.

I can't type slashes with the keyboard, the promised, selling feature of the shortcuts didn't work.  And the "workaround" is to flash a completely different OS. Sigh.

Edited by ToniCipriani
1 hour ago, ToniCipriani said:

Jeez... what the hell did I buy, this thing cost more than my Priv.

I can't type slashes with the keyboard, the promised, selling feature of the shortcuts didn't work.  And the "workaround" is to flash a completely different OS. Sigh.

You type the slash and question mark by holding one of the yellow slant arow keys and typing P or L.  Same with all yellow symbols, unless you use Finquerty which makes all byt / and ? work with shift.

Not clear what you are doing with the short cuts.  You set them up in settings and then they work in the launcher (but not in programs-- I think, it has been a while since I used the default launcher)-- of course, this was never a selling feature... a hardware keyboard was.  😉 The only problem I found with the shortcuts, back when I tried them out, is that if you had a shortcut open an app that begins with input (word processor, login for password safe), it will record the multiple keystrokes from holding the key.  But I'm on Nova Launcher these days.

4 minutes ago, Hook said:

You type the slash and question mark by holding one of the yellow slant arow keys and typing P or L.  Same with all yellow symbols, unless you use Finquerty which makes all byt / and ? work with shift.

Not clear what you are doing with the short cuts.  You set them up in settings and then they work in the launcher (but not in programs-- I think, it has been a while since I used the default launcher)-- of course, this was never a selling feature... a hardware keyboard was.  😉 The only problem I found with the shortcuts, back when I tried them out, is that if you had a shortcut open an app that begins with input (word processor, login for password safe), it will record the multiple keystrokes from holding the key.  But I'm on Nova Launcher these days.

The slant key doesn't work at all on mine. It just types P when I press Slant+P instead of Slash.

And I'm referring to this on the product page, I'm pretty sure this qualifies as "selling feature":

CUSTOMISABLE APP SHORTCUTS

The Pro1 features 36 customizable shortcuts to your favourite apps. You choose which keys open which app e.g. W opens WhatsApp, Y for YouTube, G for Gmail.

I was under the impression pressing the Fx key + whatever shortcut at the launcher would start it, but apparently not. It just brings me to the home screen.

Edited by ToniCipriani
3 minutes ago, ToniCipriani said:

The slant key doesn't work at all on mine. It just types P when I press Slant+P instead of Slash.

Ah, right, you must have selected an input language for the keyboard.  Go back and deselect all... that will result in keyboard being designated as default and the slant arrows will work.  Really, FinQwerty makes all of this soooo much easier. 

3 minutes ago, ToniCipriani said:

And I'm referring to this on the product page, I'm pretty sure this qualifies as "selling feature":

I was under the impression pressing the Fx key + whatever shortcut at the launcher would start it, but apparently not. It just brings me to the home screen.

Again, been a long time (December) since I did the shortcut stuff, but I don't think the F(x) key is involved at all.  It's in the settings for the launcher that you assign long presses on the keys, IIRC (which I my not).

3 minutes ago, Hook said:

Ah, right, you must have selected an input language for the keyboard.  Go back and deselect all... that will result in keyboard being designated as default and the slant arrows will work.  Really, FinQwerty makes all of this soooo much easier. 

Again, been a long time (December) since I did the shortcut stuff, but I don't think the F(x) key is involved at all.  It's in the settings for the launcher that you assign long presses on the keys, IIRC (which I my not).

OK that fixed it. That "set up your physical keyboard" is really misleading. Looks like the shortcuts also started working as well.

• Like 2