PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

1 hour ago, claude0001 said:

Bumping my question from above as the silence about this worries me a little bit. After all, LineageOS 16 is the very topic of this thread.

I was hoping to keep LOS 16 on my device for a while, not expecting it to be abandoned so quickly.

I worry that 17.1 will not work as a drop-in replacement for me due to the absence of AddonSU, which was a nicely integrated and low-profile root-management solution. I require permanent root access for several things (SSH server, Debian Chroot, cross-system file management), but I obviously do not want random apps to be able to su all the time.

I read about magisk of course, but it is not an "official" solution and a much heavier application - two facts I worry about in such a (safety-) critical system component. Also -- from what I read at least -- it is much more tricky to install (does not work with Lineage recovery, I guess) and integrates less nicely into Lineage (does not survive OTA updates?).

So ... could anyone with background knowledge comment on the future of 16.0? Do I have to prepare for the transition already? @tdm, maybe?  

Only 17.1 will build now, but you are free to keep 16.0 as long as you wish, and even build yourself when new security updates come in.

• Thanks 2
  • Replies 706
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wheeljack said:

I'm only seeing the 17.1 build in the queue for today.  I don't know if there were cases where 16 and 17 builds for the same device were run side by side.

On another note... I'm running 16.0 with MindTheGapps. What are my options when upgrading to 17.1 (since OpenGapps is recommended now)?

I'm using opengapps nano for Android 10 on AICP Q. It works fine. So I'm sure it will work fine on Lineage 17.1 also.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, tdm said:

Only 17.1 will build now, but you are free to keep 16.0 as long as you wish, and even build yourself when new security updates come in.

OK, thanks for the information.

That 16.0 will not get any security updates from upstream is a pity though.

From what I read, the changes related to su would render the upgrade of my set-up to 17.1 non-trivial at best. So I'll have to stay with 16.0 for now, at least until I learned how to efficiently use magisk together with LOS on the Pro1 ...

The first Lineage 17.1 build has been posted on the official download site.  Please note, I have not really been involved with this version and I am not running it on my device, as I prefer AICP.  I would suggest @EskeRahn create a discussion thread.  I'll probably monitor that in case any issues arise and need pointed out to the current developers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also broke the ground for all future releases of Lineage on the Pro1.

So, I guess this is an appropriate moment to thank @tdm for all the hard work!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 6

if anyone has the gapps issue with the version 17 thats now live. 

1. adb sideload Lineage Image

2. adb sideload Gapps

3. Reboot and boot into the Lineage (set up the phone until you are on the home screen)

4. Boot into Recovery Mode again

6. adb sideload Gapps again.

Then it works

Edited by Bengelator
  • Thanks 2
3 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

@tdm Do you know if LineageOS creates a log file when updating? I updated to 10.0-20201026 (OTA), and now a lot of my apps are missing. The corresponding directories in \data\app are gone, even though the app data in \data\data is still there.

It depends on how you update.  Recovery and OTA are completely separate.  Which did you use?  Either way, the data partition should not be touched by the upgrade.  Can you spot any pattern with the missing apps?  eg. are they all Google apps, or are they all large apps that have auxiliary data, or some other thing?

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your quick reply tdm 🙂

I did an OTA update. Unfortunately there is no pattern. Some apps were installed from the SD card, some from F-droid, and some from the Play store. Looks like I have something to do for the weekend ... I am a hoarder and have ... had about 600 apps (mostly games I never play) installed. Now I am down to 350 😞

There are still 21 GB free on the internal memory. That excludes Android doing weird stuff due to a lack of free space.

Well, I seem to be the only one to have missed apps. Then it's not LineageOS or even Pro1 related ...

The SD card is still recognised, and there are no apps installed on it. All my apps were installed to \data. The deleted apps were also not consistently using the SD card either. Some apps only stored data in \data\data, some used \sdcard\Android\data, some had obbs on the SD card.

Found something: The data folders all were from the same date. Now I have to find out if I restored these apps from backups made with "oandbackup" or "AppWererabbit".

One question still remains: Why were the apps (their folders in \data\app) deleted (and their data in \data\data retained).

Edit 2: Looks like I restored the apps with oandbackup when I got my Pro1. Other people experienced the same problem with LOS updates: https://github.com/jensstein/oandbackup/issues/263

Apparently, apps that were installed directly via their apk also get deleted. Apps that were installed from the Play store seem to survive a LOS update. Either the LOS update process or the Google Play store or Play services deleted the apps. But, the LOS update (OTA) a few weeks ago did not delete any apps (that I am aware of). This is a real mess 😞

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
17 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

Well, I seem to be the only one to have missed apps. Then it's not LineageOS or even Pro1 related ...

I haven't seen this at OTAs, but I have seen it when restoring from Google. I'm not sure if is related. One of the apps that very often is omitted is K9 Mail. And though numbers are unusual in names, t is not always omitted, just frequently. I can easily go to Android Market, and select the Library tab, and the app is listed and can be installed with no hassle. It can happen for other apps too.

A short update on my missing apps: Restoring the apks with oandbackup made them function again, meaning that the restored apps had access to the data that was still there.

While this is making things much better for me, I ask myself why these restored apps have the permission to access their old data. Apparently, the re-installed apks (with oandbackup) got their old UID assigned and SELinux seems to be happy too. Really weird ...

Edit: I love the dangerous life ... so, I updated my LOS17.1 to the newest nightly just now, and I only "lost" one app (the F-droid store).

Edited by daniel.schaaaf
  • Like 4
  • 2 months later...
4 hours ago, GameboyRMH said:

Anyone have a late LineageOS 16 build for the Pro1?

(Also sticking with it for now for rooting-related reasons)

Just saying, AICP is up to date, based on Android 10, and does Magisk as an easy flash like addonsu. Developed by tdm as well.

Latest zip here (ignore that the date in the description has not been edited, the link will get you the latest zip from Feb, Has Jan security patch).

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/3191-aicp-q-discussion/

Flashable Magisk zip here (I'm still using 21.3):

https://github.com/topjohnwu/Magisk/releases/

Very similar to Lineage 17.1 but with more features.  The point is, although you use Magisk, it is simply flashing a single zip in recovery, not the whole patched boot image thing.  Exactly like addonsu. 

• Thanks 4
  • 4 months later...

Unwilling to let go my LineageOS 16.0 setup, I started to compile my own builds some time ago.

For the case anyone else still has interest in LineageOS 16.0, I've made them available here:

http://findus.zwergenschaenke.net/~puma/linux.html#lineagepro1

As of writing this, the latest image contains the 2021-06-05 AOSP security fixes. I will probably continue to make new builds every month, as long as the sources keep getting patched by the good people at lineageos.org.

Although based on the official sources, these builds are "unofficial" in that they are signed with the so-called "test" keys. If you plan to dirty-flash them over an official LOS 16.0 build, you have to first switch keys as explained by @Sean McCreary in this post.

I dirty-flashed over the last official LOS 16 several weeks ago and am using my builds without any issues since. That being said, the usual disclaimer applies: Flash this at your own risk! These builds may turn your Pro1 into Skynet, kill your pet, or set your house on fire. You have been warned. 🙂

Edited by claude0001
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 4
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/22/2021 at 8:15 PM, claude0001 said:

[...] For the case anyone else still has interest in LineageOS 16.0, I've made them available here:

http://findus.zwergenschaenke.net/~puma/linux.html#lineagepro1

[...]

Have uploaded my latest build (20210718), including the 5th July 2021 AOSP security patches, after flashing it to my own Pro1 without issues.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • 4 weeks later...

Related to the other (LOS 18.1) thread, @EskeRahn mentioned:

I have my 20210815 LOS 16.0 build running on my Pro1 since yesterday. Just checked: Charging works as expected both "fast" (from the wall plug) and "slow" (from my PCs USB port).

It was not below 50% before I did the test, though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Slion said:

Why do you stick to LOS 16

Short answer: Why not? 🙂

Long answer:

1. I have set up a quite complex system with LOS 16 and a GNU/Linux (Devuan) running in a chroot, with multiple partitions, automatically starting servers, and shared data folders. To realise that, I use all kinds of tricks to work around Android restrictions. I fear that at least some of these hacks would not work on more recent releases because of changes in the Android security mechanisms. So I would probably have to learn new ways, which is bad because I'm lazy ... 🙂
  2. LOS 16 has a nicely-integrated and low-profile root-management solution: addonsu. Not that I distrust the Magisk developers, but I like the idea of not relying on a (imho quite bloated) third-party tool for something as mission- and security-critical as root access. addonsu is not compatible with later Lineage releases -- as far as I know precisely because of said changes in the Android security mechanisms.
  3. Do not forget that also LOS 17.1 and 18.1 are "based" on Android 9 in that they also still use the Linux kernel and vendor driver blobs of Stock. So the advantage of using a more recent version may not be all that big, at least on the low level. In theory, one could even imagine that with the divide between front- and backend software becoming larger, bugs in the drivers could be exposed that never appeared in Android 9.
  4. Last: My LOS 16 is of course not "the same" as stock. I use Lineage because it allows me to have a Google-free phone (no Gapps here!). That was the reason why I installed it in the first place. And as long as it still gets security-patched upstream, I see no reason to switch.

Do not get me wrong: If LOS 17.1 or 18.1 works well for you, use it and be happy! I just provide my LOS 16 builds to give others the option to keep using it with relative ease, now that the official builds have been disabled. After all, the freedom of choice of your OS was one of the distinctive features of the Pro1 ...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

@claude0001 I'm still on stock but I'm once again considering trying out LOS. However I would like that LOS device to be reliable. Then I see the current official 18.1 build possibly has some issues with battery and keyboard apparently... so your 16 build seems tempting however being based on Android 9 I'm assuming it still does not have proper dark theme support and built-in gesture navigations which to me are major motivations for switching to LOS.

Also, from what I gather, if I am to settle for LOS I may have to modify the keyboard driver as implement by @tdm and that means doing my own build I guess, so your work here is most interesting to me.

Edited by Slion

I intend to stick with LOS 17.1. Building wasn't difficult, but I am afraid to install my build and mess up due to signature issues. I hate not having TWRP :-(

Anyways, I plan to try my luck within a few weeks. If the update from the official LOS 17.1 to my own build works out alright, I will publish this new build here and on XDA.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion