PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion

On 10/5/2020 at 8:57 PM, tdm said:

@daniel.schaaaf the response that @Gigadoc2 has above is spot on.  I would only add that instead of requesting changes in the OS to accommodate older apps, it is much better to use updated apps.  Unmaintained apps can be a security risk.  I know that is not always desirable or even possible, but it will surely be the official position of both Lineage and Google for this issue.

Too bad, I really despise the way Google slowly turns Android into iOS :classic_mellow:

@tdm Is vold prone to (frequent) important changes? I am thinking of compiling vold with a modified PublicVolume.cpp and replacing the binary with a Magisk module (like vold-posix).and

Also: Thank you very much for providing LOS. The ROM works better than the original Pro1 Android :classic_biggrin:

• Replies 708
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I am pleased to announce that the Pro1 has received official support in LineageOS 16.0.   You can find the builds and installation instructions on the official LineageOS Downloads page.

Lineage recovery will offer to install from sdcard if, and only if, a physical sdcard is present and it is able to be read without any decryption (eg. it is not used as adoptable storage).  

In my opinion LineageOS 16 was a very important OS for the Pro1 that brought the best out of the device at a moment when stock couldn't (yet) . Although not a developer, I can well imagine it also bro

Posted Images

Hello community!

First of all: Many thanks (mostly to @tdm I guess) for providing LOS -- I think it is the most useful and polished OS for the Pro1 by quite some margin. After trying, both, Stock and SFOS, I have used LOS exclusively on my device almost since day 1.

My (small) problem: Even though this is supposed to be fixed, it still happens to me that the keyboard backlight switches off, and can be re-enabled only by sliding the keyboard in- and out. 

I notice this mostly when using Microsoft's "Remote Desktop 8" app (although I do not think the issue is related to the app). I use RDP to connect to a chrooted Debian Linux on the device. If I leave the device idle (usually while connected to USB power), *sometimes* the keyboard backlight switches off after a while, and does not re-enable on the next key-press (as I would expect), even though the environment is quite dark (so that typing without backlight is difficult).

I would love to provide more detailed debugging information, but unfortunately the problem is not straightforward to reproduce.

Understanding the logics of the backlighting would help: is it true that the backlight should switch on (if it isn't already) when a key is pressed and the ambient lighting is dim? If yes then I surely encounter a bug here.

Edited by claude0001
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, daniel.schaaaf said:

Also: Thank you very much for providing LOS. The ROM works better than the original Pro1 Android :classic_biggrin:

I just received mine today and after using LOS on my Droid 4 for many years, I was shocked, dismayed, and disgusted to find that Google was in every corner of my new device! I came here to find the solution, and haven't been disappointed. LOS on P1 coming soon to a desk near me. :)

• Like 5

I'm curious, I notice that internet (switching between wifi/4g) works perfect, also wifi has more connectivity power (it wasn't the case 1 month early).
Could it be a link with LOS updates ?
Anyway, I'm more and more pleased with this keyboarded piece of hardware 😄

• Like 3

So I'm now using the klack with LOS to post this. I have not activated it yet since I can't make any major changes to my routine yet and Verizonk is a butthole. I've pretty much decided to use my D4 until it Zonk kills it because I hate change and am still learning klack ergonomics.

I have found some things about the hardware that I wish were different, but nothing that I can't accommodate. This is not the place to discuss that. I have not found any deficiencies in the software, although so far I'm only using it as a UMPC. I do wonder if the updater works, or is just an unused feature at this point.

4 minutes ago, silversolver said:

I do wonder if the updater works, or is just an unused feature at this point.

The updater works but is very slow.  I can vouch on the slow part.  I bailed on my only attempt to do it because it was taking so long even though it was a background process and I could still use it. I prefer the speed and (for me) simplicity of downloading the nightly and doing an adb sideload from my computer.

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, Hook said:

The updater works but is very slow.  I can vouch on the slow part.  I bailed on my only attempt to do it because it was taking so long even though it was a background process and I could still use it. I prefer the speed and (for me) simplicity of downloading the nightly and doing an adb sideload from my computer.

Thank you for the clarification. Sideloading the firmware is settings and data non-destructive I assume.

1 minute ago, silversolver said:

Thank you for the clarification. Sideloading the firmware is settings and data non-destructive I assume.

Correct.  Just make sure you reboot to recovery after sideloading the new nightly so that you switch the slot it was actually installed to.

43 minutes ago, Hook said:

Correct.  Just make sure you reboot to recovery after sideloading the new nightly so that you switch the slot it was actually installed to.

I don't have to reboot to recovery to sideload? That's interesting. If I don't it goes in the inactive slot, but if I do it goes to the active one, or both? I'm cornfused.

1 minute ago, silversolver said:

I don't have to reboot to recovery to sideload? That's interesting. If I don't it goes in the inactive slot, but if I do it goes to the active one, or both? I'm cornfused.

Yes, you sideload from recovery.  But then you use the advanced menu in Lineage Recovery to Reboot to recovery.  That switches to and makes active the slot where the update was installed.

The clearest instructions are @tdms.  They were written for the test versions, but they work fine for the official nightlys.

http://files.nwwn.com/android/pro1/lineage.html

• Thanks 1
On 10/5/2020 at 11:19 PM, tdm said:

First, backup your boot image.  If you are on official Lineage, this is the same file that is publish as the recovery.  So you can just use that as your backup.

Next, download my image and run something like this:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot flash boot <image-name>

fastboot reboot

That's it!

Great, thanks, I will have a look at this. Believe it or not I don't know how to do any of that or how to input terminal commands... but I can learn c/o t'internet

On 10/7/2020 at 5:20 AM, daniel.schaaaf said:

Too bad, I really despise the way Google slowly turns Android into iOS :classic_mellow:

@tdm Is vold prone to (frequent) important changes? I am thinking of compiling vold with a modified PublicVolume.cpp and replacing the binary with a Magisk module (like vold-posix).and

No, vold mainly stays the same during a given release cycle.

• Like 1
On 10/7/2020 at 1:06 PM, claude0001 said:

Understanding the logics of the backlighting would help: is it true that the backlight should switch on (if it isn't already) when a key is pressed and the ambient lighting is dim? If yes then I surely encounter a bug here.

IIRC, the keyboard backlight should always be on if, and only if, both the display is on and the slider is out.

The keyboard backlight code (and LED light code) is here:

https://github.com/LineageOS/android_device_fxtec_pro1/blob/lineage-16.0/light/Light.cpp

Edited by tdm
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
On 10/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, tdm said:

First, backup your boot image.  If you are on official Lineage, this is the same file that is publish as the recovery.  So you can just use that as your backup.

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot

That's it!

On 10/5/2020 at 10:19 PM, tdm said:

adb reboot bootloader

fastboot reboot

That's it!

I've messed this up big style!

[url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/Wp0vgWcx/Untitled.png[/img][/url]

It rebooted to a screen with Lineage logo and RECOVERY at the top.

In red it says:

"Can't load Android system. Your data may

continue to get this message, you may  ne

factory data reset and erase all user da

device"

[the above makes no sense as I assume the message is too wide ot fit on the screen]

I have the option to "Try again" or "Factory data reset"

Is there a way back from this mess I have made?

Untitled.png

Edited by jamescarruthers
7 minutes ago, jamescarruthers said:

Soime help would be greatly appreciated as I've basically wrecked my phone unless someone can give me a hand

I bet it is a matter of setting the right slot active before flashing - your data should still be there. I use this script, to help me remember what to do...

With the images as parameters 1 and 2, e.g.

LineageFLASH.BAT LineageOS\lineage-16.0-20201012-recovery-pro1.img LineageOS\lineage-16.0-20201012-nightly-pro1-signed.zip

@ECHO off
if %1.==. goto :EOF
ECHO * Wait for boot to bootloader to finish (or do manually holding VolDown+Power)
adb reboot bootloader
pause
fastboot flash boot_a %1
fastboot --set-active=a
REM fastboot reboot recovery    does not work, so do manually:
ECHO * Roll down to "Recovery Mode" with VolDown, and press Power to select.
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" for main flash
pause
adb sideload %2
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
ECHO * Click Advanced, "Reboot to recovery".
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" to add Gapps
pause
ECHO * When prompted (shortly after 47%) click "yes" to "...Install anyway"
adb sideload LineageOS\MindTheGapps-9.0.0-arm64-20190615_031441.zip
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
if /I NOT %3.==ROOT. goto :NORM
ECHO * Click Advanced, "Reboot to recovery".
ECHO * Await recovery boot. Select "Apply update", "Apply from ADB" to add ROOT
pause
adb sideload LineageOS\addonsu-16.0-arm64-signed.zip
TimeOut 5 /nobreak>nul
:NORM
ECHO * Click Reboot.
ECHO **DONE** Should now boot into LineageOS

• EskeRahn changed the title to PRO1, LineageOS 16.0 Official Builds: Discussion