Flaky GPS, Pro1

I'm running into an issue where sometimes my Pro1 can't get a GPS lock, and maps other location-based apps will either show me at home (even though I'm not) or show a very approximate location (presumably based on cell towers and/or WiFi).

If I try to use navigation in Android Auto, the GPS will either work the whole drive, or never work. If it doesn't work at the start of the drive, I've never had it get a lock and start updating partway through, even after 30 minutes of driving. Similarly, if it does get an initial lock, I've never had it stop updating en route (though occasionally it will drift a little bit).

I'm not sure if this is a hardware or software issue. I don't recall noticing it happening before the April 2020 security update, by I don't drive much due to COVID-19, so I can't say for sure whether that's related.

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Are you on stock Android or LineageOS_ On Lineage fewer satellite systems are in use than under stock (Mentioned in the Lineage thread). I must admit I have not really used the GPS for ages, as I upgraded my old car to another old car that got GPS build in, in May. So can not say if things has changed with the latest updates.

ADD: Just turned location on, on stock. It started 300Km away where I last used it months ago, but within 10 seconds outdoors I got a fix within less than 10m

Where I am (Coastal VA), I've never had any problems with navigation using Android Auto with either stock or lineage (I had other problems with Android Auto on Lineage, mostly the hands free stuff, which made me switch Android Auto functions to a different, stock android phone). But on stock, I never had a problem with the Pro 1 and Android Auto.

• Thanks 1

I don't really know what is Android Auto exactly, but I never had any problems with GPS on my phone, also I found it to be extremely good in every situations.
I don't use it very often though, but sometimes I use Waze and sometimes the Google version (Maps? application - it is translated so I am unsure about its name).
It has always found satellites easily.
Last time I used it today and I have not noticed any problems, however, mobile internet was active, so AGPS was available.

Otherwise, I had problems with GPS on my Moto G6 phone in a strange way which appeared in a very bad situation and the phone was only be able to guess where I am based on mobile towers. Also reboot did not help, so I had to drive using an old-fashioned way but using a display instead of paper map.
Later I have found a solution, it was something like disabling GPS feature then turn it on again and maybe something else I don't remember like rebooting in-between, but it started working only after I did that, and next time when it happened the same steps helped.
Also, that phone had much worse GPS (I mean GNSS) reception than Pro1, however, Pro1 also supports more bands.

So far GPS function works perfectly for me.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, VaZso said:

I don't really know what is Android Auto exactly

Android Auto is an app that some cars have. It uses a USB connection to your phone to utilize some Android Apps (maps for navigation, music player apps, messaging, phone, etc) and format their output onto the larger car screen if you don't have navigation built in.  It allows use of the controls on the steering wheel and voice, so you are pretty hands free on all operations. Plus, it keeps your phone charged because it uses a USB connection.  😄

• Thanks 2

Make sure the battery saver is not on. It prevents GPS to get any signal even if location services and data are on. I found this after a few months of very poor GPS performance (long periods until getting position, if at all), my battery saver was mostly on.

• Thanks 3
11 hours ago, rkjnsn said:

Has anybody else experienced this issue?

Yes, I have the same problem. It has a mind of it's own. I didn't manage to find the right recipe to make it always work (reboots, enable/disable, clearing cache agps etc). I've installed some additional software to clear the agps and it manage to see the sattelites (22, 24, even 27) but it wouldn't connect to any of them. Sometimes, suddenly connects after 30 minutes, for example, out of the blue, while not running anything or running the same software.

• Like 2
8 hours ago, VaZso said:

Thanks, I didn't know that.
So it basically uses the same parts of Maps solution (and same hardware background) but in another form. 🙂

Yes

8 hours ago, Hook said:

Android Auto is an app that some cars have.

Actually it is just an Android App too. Can be used without car integration.

The lengthy initial fix problem is a well known GPS issue that is supposed to be mitigated by AGPS. With GPS only it may take a good 15mn without moving with a clear view of the sky to get a fix. That's especially true if you kept GPS off for a long time or if you moved significantly since your last GPS fix.

If you keep on driving before your initial fix it is very possible you won't get a fix until you remain stationary long enough.

Now AGPS is supposed to help speed up initial GPS fix. It looks like Pro1 is using a service from Qualcomm called IZat for this.

Go to Settings > Security & Location > Privacy > Location > Location services > Accelerated location > Make sure you agree to use that service. 

Edited by Slion
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, Slion said:

Go to Settings > Security & Location > Privacy > Location > Location services > Accelerated location > Make sure you agree to use that service. 

While you there you may also check that every other location services have been properly enabled.

4 hours ago, Slion said:

The lengthy initial fix problem is a well known GPS issue that is supposed to be mitigated by AGPS. With GPS only it may take a good 15mn without moving with a clear view of the sky to get a fix. That's especially true if you kept GPS off for a long time or if you moved significantly since your last GPS fix.

True and GPS (GNSS) reception can be very poor inside a house or at a place where there are several tall buildings near the road - this is in general, not Pro1-related.

14 hours ago, VaZso said:

Otherwise, I had problems with GPS on my Moto G6 phone in a strange way which appeared in a very bad situation and the phone was only be able to guess where I am based on mobile towers. Also reboot did not help, so I had to drive using an old-fashioned way but using a display instead of paper map.
Later I have found a solution, it was something like disabling GPS feature then turn it on again and maybe something else I don't remember like rebooting in-between, but it started working only after I did that, and next time when it happened the same steps helped.
Also, that phone had much worse GPS (I mean GNSS) reception than Pro1, however, Pro1 also supports more bands.

Now I remember what helped me on my Moto G6. 🙂

It did not have GNSS reception even after reboot (but tower-based guessing instead) till I have modified what kind of position systems are allowed to use by Android then set it back to allow GNSS / Tower / whatever it had.
Maybe it worth a try on Pro1 but so far I only had this problem on Moto G6.

2 hours ago, Slion said:

While you there you may also check that every other location services have been properly enabled.

...so, correct.
Check this option and also if it is set correctly, set it to another option and back to the correct option again - that was what helped me on my G6.

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Slion said:

Yes

Actually it is just an Android App too. Can be used without car integration.

Correct.  I should have said something like "Some cars integrate the Android Auto app into their dash system."  Frankly, I wouldn't find Android Auto all that useful if not integrated into the car.  Making controls a little bigger on the phone doesn't make it all that much safer to use while driving and the voice controls are mostly there without Android Auto.  It's the integration into the car's system (steering wheel controls, speakers and microphone) that make it valuable (for me).  This was the whole reason I added a supplemental phone for Android Auto when it didn't work fully with Lineage.

On 9/25/2020 at 8:05 AM, Slion said:

If you keep on driving before your initial fix it is very possible you won't get a fix until you remain stationary long enough.

Over half an hour, stand still, in my car and no fix. 

I've never had a problem like this with other phones, not to mention even Nokia E66 :)))

• Sad 2
29 minutes ago, Val said:

Over half an hour, stand still, in my car and no fix. 

Maybe Pro1 does not get a good GPS signal in your car for some reason. Do you get a fix when you leave it outside with a clear view of the sky?

Was AGPS enabled?

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Slion said:

Maybe Pro1 does not get a good GPS signal in your car for some reason. Do you get a fix when you leave it outside with a clear view of the sky?

Was AGPS enabled?

When it works, it works. Same car, even same place ;). I've tried also clear sky with APGS enabled, in all the possible combinations, trying to indentify a pattern. When I've quit trying, after over an hour of driving, suddenly connects. In other case, not after more than 1.5 hours.

I thought that only my phone have this problem and it's kind of overkill to send it for warranty just for this, also being unable to find a pattern. But now I see that I'm not the only one having this problem.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, Val said:

it's kind of overkill to send it for warranty just for this,

and it is hard to prove the device hardware is at fault in this case. If you are mostly driving the same car you could use a BT GPS receiver such as this:

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/645104

Disclaimer: I work for Garmin. I never used that device myself though and I don't do product support so don't blame me if you are not satisfied with it, do your own research before buying 😁

Edited by Slion
  • Haha 2

Doe your car have front window heating? If so this could be actively interfering with gps. And it could explain why it sometimes does or does not work. My gps only acts up after first boot. First fix can take way too much time, as in minutes. But after that initial fix (after a flash) the craziest thing I have experienced was inaccuracy. This was on both stock and LoS.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Slion said:

and it is hard to prove the device hardware is at fault in this case.

Correct 😉 But, as you see, I'm not the only one having this problem.

10 hours ago, Slion said:

If you are mostly driving the same car you could use a BT GPS receiver such as this: https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/645104

Thanks for the idea. Do you know any Aliexpress equivalent? :))))))

3 hours ago, DieBruine said:

Doe your car have front window heating? If so this could be actively interfering with gps.

No, regular window. I know the problem with the heated windscreen, but it's not the case. 

• Like 1

I think I've also had this problem. GPS seems to just decide to not do anything, and doesn't get a lock for sometimes days. But it's very infrequent, so that's extra fun. No idea what it is, but I have LineageOS without any gapps replacement, so I don't think I have any AGPS replacement. That could be an explanation for my problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I have IZAT enabled and have agreed to the location consent. I've had the GPS fail to lock it different vehicles and when walking (holding the phone, with a clear sky), so it doesn't seem related to interference from the vehicle.

If GPS is working well for most people, and only one other person is experiencing the issue, it seems like it's likely to be a hardware issue of some kind. Maybe the GPS receiver sometimes fails to power up properly?

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...

Hey there,

since a few days, I have huge issues with my GPS signal and it seemingly get worse.

I am expecting either interference with some other component, a broken or detached antenna (if it uses an antenna) or a broken GPS receiver. What I have done is to delete and clear all GPS assist data and cache from all apps that use GPS.
Where could I start troubleshooting? Does anybody know where the GPS sensor is located so I can take a closer look?

Screenshot_20231218-085728_GPS_Test.png

Hmm sounds bad. Any difference at all inside versus outside?

This may be a silly question, but does it have the correct time??
I know from my automower, that if it is just a few minutes off the geolocation gets totally messed.

When all cache wiped, it can take a while to get a first fix.

Does the App whine if you turn Location back off, before leaving the app?
(I'm fishing after if the app for some reason is not allowed to access the GPS, but does not report it correctly)

I seem to remember that we have had a similar issue long back, where the solution was to enter something in a file....
But I can not remember the thread, And a search for GPS fails, as it requires at the least four chars....

• EskeRahn changed the title to Flaky GPS, Pro1

Thank you @EskeRahn for merging the threads. I couldn't find anything while searching the forum.

I've had great GPS signal all the time. Never had any issues with delays or anything, it was always a strong and good signal. It wouldn't matter if inside or outside.
From one day to another, it basically stopped working (outside and inside). The signal is extremely poor and Google Maps only manages to get my location every 5-30 minutes for a few seconds. I currently navigate swiping over my display and checking, where my route goes next...

What I've tried so far:

- GPS Off / On

- All services Off / On, including airplane mode

- Reboot

- Deleted all cache in apps that are allowed to use GPS including Google Play services

- Uninstalled and reinstalled Google Maps

- Tried in different locations

- I don't use a phone case

- Power saving mode is not enabled

- Additional GPS settings including high security Off / On

- Cleared and reloaded all AGPS data using the app GPS test

- Cleared and reloaded all AGPS data using the app GPS status and toolbox
--> now I don't get any sattelites at all... not even in red

Either the app screwed it up completely or it is a hardware defect. But how can I test that? As far as I know, there is no safe mode in LineageOS and I would like to prevent resetting my phone by any means.

• Sad 1