Pro1 Just died.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Happy to be back in Pro1 land again 😁 Just setting it up and installing all the apps I had on the last one.

Well, ain't that fine and dandy? My Pro1 has just died☠️😫. There's no life in it whatsoever, doesn't even pick up the charger cable being plugged in. Looks like an email to Support and hope for t

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2559-factory-restore-tool/   Give this a try, might work out for you   //Per

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, MickH said:

Thanks Pebert. I'll give it a looksee.

But doesn't the phone need to be powered up to perform a factory reset?

It is a factory restore tool, not reset.

It can be used to write stock data to flash. If it works, then your phone should work again.
If your flash is faulty, then it can not write this data.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, pebert said:

https://community.fxtec.com/topic/2559-factory-restore-tool/

Give this a try, might work out for you

//Per

I've had a good read, but I don't think any of the first two methods would be of help, as I don't want to dismantle the phone at this stage, due to the warranty.
The last method needs the phone to actually turn on and display the Fx logo. I'm not getting that even with both volume buttons held and the power button pressed.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, MickH said:

I've had a good read, but I don't think any of the first two methods would be of help, as I don't want to dismantle the phone at this stage, due to the warranty.
The last method needs the phone to actually turn on and display the Fx logo. I'm not getting that even with both volume buttons held and the power button pressed.

There is a Qualcomm EDL cable which, in theory, can be used to put the phone to EDL state.
However, I have tried it using my home-made cable and also using a pre-built cable without any luck even with my own working phone.

So I could not put my Pro1 to EDL mode using that method but my friend's phone which I have tried to flash fell back to EDL mode around 15 minutes after "restart".
Have you checked if there are any USB devices appear after waiting more than 15 minutes?
Linux may be better to identify if it is alive but Windows should also display it as an unknown hardware at first.

Also, I may check if charging works (if you have appropriate tools for it).

• Like 2

Reflashing via EDL mode is the thing to try right, you won't even need an EDL cable because it is in EDL state. Either the bootloader is somehow corrupted (failed update or broken flash memory presumably). That factory restore tool should be able to do it.

Edited by netman
4 minutes ago, netman said:

Reflashing via EDL mode is the thing to try right, you won't even need an EDL cable because it is in EDL state. Either the bootloader is somehow corrupted (failed update or broken flash memory presumably). That factory restore tool should be able to do it.

Right, but it should come up as an EDL device when it is connected to a cable, that is why I have asked him to check it.

2 hours ago, MickH said:

Your phone is already booting to EDL mode.  This is what you are seeing in the USB dialog.  Specifically, "Qualcomm HS-USB QDLoader 9008" is exactly what the flash tool requires.

Now, why did it all of the sudden decide to do that?  I don't know, but there is likely some underlying issue.  Perhaps a dead or dying flash chip or worse.  But using the factory restore tool is a good first start, along with starting an email thread with support.

• Thanks 3

Wow, I have not seen the post above where @MickH showed the device under Windows - that is why I have asked it again.
...perhaps I have clicked on this thread by mistake and it showed the newer messages next time...

Sorry for that.

Edit: I have only missed that specific message, read the one before and read the one after... but I am not even remember of an existence of the screenshot itself, hmm.
This new page starts at that specific message which is also interesting.

Edited by VaZso
  • Haha 1

The restore tool detected the phone so I located the firmware with the "Open" menu option then selected to try a "Dry Run" Clicked the "Flash" button then got an error saying the device could not be read. After a short while the phone disconnected itself from Windows and wouldn't reconnect. Damn frustrating. 😪

5 hours ago, MickH said:

OK so after clicking "Flash" the progress bar pops up briefly and then I get this:- 😒

FXTec3.jpg

I'd try a different cable / port I've had problems with flashboot doing the same thing device is there when initially trying it then disappears.  Also seen that with the incorrect driver as well. 

Do you need to install a specific EDL driver for this maybe? (I wouldn't trust whatever windows gives you automatically)

• Like 2
9 hours ago, MickH said:

OK so after clicking "Flash" the progress bar pops up briefly and then I get this:- 😒

FXTec3.jpg

It can be tricky to get right. Try opening the tool and the file, then plug in your phone when it is ready to flash.

Also EDL is sensitive to USB hardware. Try different ports. USB 2 is better than USB 3.

Good luck!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@MickH- if you try again the process, please be sure to also restart the phone by holding power button more than 15 seconds, then wait for the device to come up.
That is because in EDL mode, it will only work once, so an interrupted process will result in a fault next time.

Basically that is a very simple protocol, so the restore tool will upload and run an own code first on the phone, then it tries to process the required commands through that own code.

Edited by VaZso
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, kashif said:

This is a scary stuff!

Why Pro1s are dying like this

There are a lot of them out there, there's bound to be some failures. The only thing that seems somewhat common are display/touch issues. I wouldn't get too worried :).

Edited by netman
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3