Pro1 and Pro1 X design change to use Snapdragon 662, no new devices before August 2021

5 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

When Fxtec presented the Pro1, they explained very well why they chose the SD 835, and while some would have liked an even better SoC, it was never an option.

I was referring to them planning the Pro1-X, not the Pro1. Way to go butchering my words just to build your defense case.

Sometimes I feel like this place is CrackBerry all over again.

Edited by ToniCipriani
  • Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It is sad indeed. But as I see it they had very few alternatives after being swindled. Redesign the Pro1(x) using as much as they can of the existing with the remaining money. Await the m

I think @EskeRahndeserves a Gold Meddal

The line is when they take the money to Las Vegas and blow it on hookers and cocaine. And then they realize they need more money, so they delay shipping in order to solicit more funds, so they can pro

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, ToniCipriani said:

I was referring to them planning the Pro1-X, not the Pro1. Way to go butchering my words just to build your defense case.

Before accusing someone of malice, you might consider that people make mistakes. That goes for me, as I indeed misread your statement and didn't see the X, and it goes for Fxtec, too. Beside that, you seem to overlook the fact that the SoCs for the Pro1 X were already ordered, payed for and confirmed, and there were never any more Pro1 X devices planned than those who were sold through IndieGogo.

Edited by Rob. S.
  • Thanks 2
5 hours ago, RyuShai said:

Do you think Fxtect would listen us, who support them

Yes, I do think so after following this forum for 1½ years. Throughout that time I've never seen a case of someone who didn't either get their phone, or, if so requested, a refund. Fxtec are slow in communication and tend to give overly optimistic estimates, but the one thing they are definitely not is being "dishonest".

• Like 4
1 hour ago, RyuShai said:

i'm talking about fxtect, they knew issue from mid jannuary and still let perk available. Over 60 perk was called from mid jannuary, do you think dishonesty worth for this move ?

Nah, I see it as yet another example of a small company with few employees, and lacking communication skills, that had to find out what their options were and how to communicate it, before they did.

So if we say that half of these 60  (to take a pessimistic guess) would feel really bad about this, I guess FxTec could handle those individually somehow.

28 minutes ago, ToniCipriani said:

Sometimes I feel like this place is CrackBerry all over again.

The comments on the original Pro1 is indeed very relevant here, as the Pro1 was newer hardware wise meant to be a totally new device (hence just the added letter indicating the cooperation with XDA).
It apparently was easy to swap the memory chips, but changing to a new CPU would have been much more complex.

As I understood it the Pro1X was meant as a limited edition, with some different software choices and keyboard layouts out of the box. Never as a successor to the Pro1.
(Though it after FxTec being cheated seems  to end as one common partly new device)

• Like 1

I Signed up in the last 14 days. And i dont really blame Fx tech for this bad stuff happens. But I dont think this was communicated in the right way. As soon as they knew there was a problem i think this should have been communicated and they are looking for other options,  at least i would  have waited then!  So did request a refund mostly for circumstances.

But i dont see them as dishonest. 

I wrote it on the IGG as well, that i will likely still get the phone, just think i rather get it off Fx when its ready! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

What do you think, I want to use the FX Pro 1X for Gmail, Untis, moodle, whats up, facebook and Google News. 

Would I even notice the difference to the slower 662?

I am using a 2015 BB Priv with the old 808, which is pretty slow meanwhile. But it has only 3 GB RAM and I am hoping, that the 8 GB of the Sapphire blue Pro 1X will make it so much faster. Am I wrong? Will the 662 be so a bad SOC? 😕

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Tommi69 said:

What do you think, I want to use the FX Pro 1X for Gmail, Untis, moodle, whats up, facebook and Google News. 

Would I even notice the difference to the slower 662?

I am using a 2015 BB Priv with the old 808, which is pretty slow meanwhile. But it has only 3 GB RAM and I am hoping, that the 8 GB of the Sapphire blue Pro 1X will make it so much faster. Am I wrong? Will the 662 be so a bad SOC? 😕

I think that you are doing just fine with SD662 for those tasks if you are not expecting most snappiest experience. I have checked few Poco M3 reviews (SD662, FullHD+ screen, 4/64Gb or 6/128Gb) and the performance is sufficient for everyday tasks.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Xiaomi-Poco-M3-Smartphone-Review-The-150-Euro-smartphone.515467.0.html

However, with 4 GB of RAM and the Snapdragon 662, the budget smartphone is not a performance champion and can respond sluggishly at times. But the performance is still sufficient for everyday tasks, and even allows you to play one or the other game sometimes.

https://www.androidauthority.com/poco-m3-review-1198097/

Overall, the phone performs exactly as you’d expect with no real surprises. The Poco M3 presents itself as a perfectly serviceable entry-level smartphone that is good enough for day-to-day use with a spot of gaming thrown in from time to time.

• Thanks 1

Poco M3 = $199,- at max.
Pro1x = $ 649,- or something like that. So you pay 350,- extra for a keyboard, AMOLED and camera.

And that, is the point. Not so much performance. For the record, I would still buy the Pro1x. But, I would also be pissed and angry as Hell. And I would also be venting that anger here or anywhere else for that matter. So, I understand the comments. As long as you all realize, this is the only way FxTec can survive the Pro1x. Otherwise they surely would have chosen a 'better SoC'. So all the bashing and arguing aside, this is what we'll have to deal with if any of us truly wants a piece of a  G E N U I N E  full blast Pro 2.0.

Just my 2 cents...

Edited by DieBruine
Typo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
11 hours ago, PsyDucky said:

....just think i rather get it off Fx when its ready! 

I'm not sure it have been told if they are going to produce any to stock, or only the ones perked for on IGG or pre-ordered on the homepage. I would not be surprised if they are going for a model collecting enough pre-orders, before making any following batch. / but that is my personal guess only of course (got no inside knowledge on the topic).

1 hour ago, DieBruine said:

Poco M3 = $199,- at max.
Pro1x = $ 649,- or something like that. So you pay 350,- extra for a keyboard, AMOLED and camera.

And that, is the point. Not so much performance. For the record, I would still buy the Pro1x. But, I would also be pissed and angry as Hell. And I would also be venting that anger here or anywhere else for that matter. So, I understand the comments. As long as you all realize, this is the only way FxTec can survive the Pro1x. Otherwise they surely would have chosen a 'better SoC'. So all the bashing and arguing aside, this is what we'll have to deal with if any of us truly wants a piece of a  G E N U I N E  full blast Pro 2.0.

Just my 2 cents...

The situation is basically the same than previously. Pro1 price was about 700$ and you were able to buy SD730G devices about +300$ (like Mi 10 Note). You always have to pay some extra for the integrated keyboard. I am willing to pay that extra.

spacer.png

Also, keep in mind that many sites have reviewed Poco M3 4/64Gb. If 6/128Gb unit was reviewed the performance was little bit better (also UFS 2.1 compared to UFS 2.0). 4Gb is quite little now days but 6Gb is OK and 8Gb good for everything.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
31 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:

I'm not sure it have been told if they are going to produce any to stock, or only the ones perked for on IGG or pre-ordered on the homepage. I would not be surprised if they are going for a model collecting enough pre-orders, before making any following batch. / but that is my personal guess only of course (got no inside knowledge on the topic).

Well they will be a company without a product then!  But if thats a case ill accept that for what it is.
Im not one of the people that NEEDS a keyboard! I just miss it a lot! 

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, PsyDucky said:

Well they will be a company without a product then!  But if thats a case ill accept that for what it is.
Im not one of the people that NEEDS a keyboard! I just miss it a lot! 

(It is not that uncommon with companies without a stock, producing their products in batches only)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 minute ago, EskeRahn said:

(It is not that uncommon with companies without a stock, producing their products in batches only)

Thanks for the heads up!  But i dont think it will change my mind! think the backlog deal with pro1 delivery factors in a bit as well.  And i will likely hunt a bit for a secondhand pro1 adding more points to wait and see! 😄 

• Like 1
54 minutes ago, EskeRahn said:
12 hours ago, PsyDucky said:

....just think i rather get it off Fx when its ready! 

My memory isn't really improving over the years, but I seem to remember that Fxtec did announce in their IndieGogo campaign that the Pro1 X was as an IndieGogo-only item, not to be sold anymore when the campaign was over and all devices manufactured and shipped.

So it would seem that they (unsurprisingly) did what @ToniCipriani seemed to be missing – of course they considered the impending 'end of life' of the Snapdragon 835 device when they set up the campaign...

The more interesting question perhaps is what plans they might already have had for after the campaign, and how the change of SoCs in the Pro1 X will affect them...

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Rob. S. said:

My memory isn't really improving over the years, but I seem to remember that Fxtec did announce in their IndieGogo campaign that the Pro1 X was as an IndieGogo-only item, not to be sold anymore when the campaign was over and all devices manufactured and shipped.

So it would seem that they (unsurprisingly) did what @ToniCipriani seemed to be missing – of course they considered the impending 'end of life' of the Snapdragon 835 device when they set up the campaign...

The more interesting question perhaps is what plans they might already have had for after the campaign, and how the change of SoCs in the Pro1 X will affect them...

Given the backlog of pro1 deliveries, I guess they would at least have had a batch more in mind for that as well.  
Assuming they pushed that, so they could be made together. Just a bit unfortunate the info did not come up sooner with that in mind.

• Like 1
31 minutes ago, PsyDucky said:

Given the backlog of pro1 deliveries, I guess they would at least have had a batch more in mind for that as well.  
Assuming they pushed that, so they could be made together. Just a bit unfortunate the info did not come up sooner with that in mind.

I suppose when they prepared the IndieGogo campaign they didn't expect to still have that substantial backlog of Pro1 devices during the Pro1 X campaign...

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Indeed, it would be anyone's guess. Mine would be that they simply would have continued in batches as long as demand and supply lasted. The second then fell short quicker than expected.

3 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

I suppose when they prepared the IndieGogo campaign they didn't expect to still have that substantial backlog of Pro1 devices during the Pro1 X campaign...

Indeed, we do not know when the cheating started, it could well be that was what prevented the expected final batch of pending Pro1's before the Pro1X from being manufactured. And if the crooks just told it as yet another Corona delay and took orders for the Pro1X too, before FxTex found out they were being cheated, that would match what we have seen. - Just guessing of course.

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Rob. S. said:

Yeah and when the campaign ended they kept the order open on IGG indefinitely and it may never end... That a way of playing on words of that promise...

Like playing  the game of "only 5 pre-early available" to in fact contentiously adding a few available each day.

Also the order we were supposedly able to cancel up to 14 days after end of campaign and in fact they set it in a way it's not. (I think the only way to do that is to pass on every order one by one to say a perk has been sent...)

Like the slap in the face of the cybermonday offers long after the first backers supported the project and with some better deals. Yes they never said they would not but that the implicit offer of preorders like IGG and others.

(And still waiting for the AZERTY layout promised long ago, maybe the layout supplier lied to them also.)

All of that it's not bad communication, it's shady practices.

And it's only IGG we are talking here, thing is fxtec went with bad communication, playing on words, shady marketing practices, timing announcements they knew, over and over again, they could not hold, bad management of their suppliers, etc. etc.

Tired of finding them excuses.

Yes they are not thieves or crooks but it does not means they are a good company and what for sure is I don't want to deal with them or place any trust on them or wait 1 more year for a phone that may have a lot more new issues or bugs.

Maybe if one day they have a product in stock, available to be delivered to my doors in 48h, with reviews on Internet and all of that, I may order it. But I doubt it will ever happen.

I've asked for my refund, will see how long it takes for an answer... or to get my money back.

• Confused 2

SoC downgrade is a major blow to that project. It also highlights how lucky we were to have the SD835 on Pro1, I mean that was the chip from the freaking Oculus Quest.

From the perspective of a lucky owner of two Pro1s  I hope they manage to keep the battery and screen assembly compatible as spare parts are one of the reasons I invested in Pro1x. The other reason I invested was to help FxTec develop their business so that they can bring us more keyboard phones in the future.

That brings me to my next point. Looks like FxTec is using the IGG Pro1x cash to fulfill back orders from like a year ago and there was no large batch of Pro1s in production for months when many, many customers were waiting for their devices. That is very worrying, I hope FxTec can turn that around but it does not bode well.

Also, does that mean Pro1 will never get an official Android 10 upgrade?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
44 minutes ago, flx said:

And still waiting for the AZERTY layout promised long ago, maybe the layout supplier lied to them also.

Let's face it the keyboard prints are most certainly the last of their worries as they don't have a working motherboard at the moment.

Sorry to see you go @flx I do hope FxTec will one day have products on stock for you to buy.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, flx said:

Yeah and when the campaign ended they kept the order open on IGG indefinitely and it may never end... That a way of playing on words of that promise...

Like playing  the game of "only 5 pre-early available" to in fact contentiously adding a few available each day [...]

So what? Miffed because you're not one of the exclusive five anymore, or one of the exclusive one thousand or whatever the original number of devices was they might have had planned to sell through the campaign? 

Which they very probably kept increasing slowly as they were led to believe they could still get the PCBs with the SD 835? What would you expect, that they throw away an option to sell more phones just because a few people might get somehow offended by it? 

Sorry, but I really don't get it.

• Like 3
39 minutes ago, Slion said:

Also, does that mean Pro1 will never get an official Android 10 upgrade?

That's indeed an interesting question. It would also be interesting to know whether hope might still be justified that at least the two or three most severe bugs which remain until now will be fixed. And how frequently and for how long there will be security updates for either Android version...